• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Deathguise vs. ole_schooler (ref: Squornshellous Beta)

Squornshellous Beta

Pronoun
she/they/any
1v1 single
Style: set
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned moves: None
Special: Only Pokémon at their lowest stage of evolution (including 1 stage Pokémon)
Arena: Viridian Forest
Description: A small clearing in the leafy forest. There is no ready source of water nearby, and most of the ground is rotten leaf mulch. Caterpie, Weedle, and their evolutions roam the area, but won't come to investigate unless there's a strange bug in arena. The forest's Pikachu, on the other hand, are more than a little curious, and will occasionally run across the clearing. (Ref's discretion whether the wild Pokemon do anything besides look pretty.)
Deathguise's Active Squad
Spearow
Furax (Male)
Ability: Keen Eye

Swinub
Skane (Male)
Ability: Oblivious

Carvanha
Lockjaw (Male)
Ability: Rough Skin

Drifloon
Io (Female)
Ability: Aftermath

Numel-f
Vesvi (Female)
Ability: Simple

Spinarak
Anansi (Female)
Ability: Swarm

ole_schooler's Active Squad
Arcanine
Donna (Female)
Ability: Intimidate
Held Item: Fire Stone

Houndoom
Angel (Male)
Ability: Flash Fire
Held Item: Dusk Stone

Poochyena
Sabriel (Female)
Ability: Run Away
Held Item: Dusk Stone

Electrike
Tomas (Male)
Ability: Static
Body Mod: Blue-eyed Blind
Held Item: Shiny Stone

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Held Item: Moon Stone

Riolu
Dawg (Male)
Ability: Inner Focus

Absol
Jekyll (Male)
Ability: Pressure

First Round
- Deathguise sends out
- ole_schooler sends out and attacks
- Deathguise attacks
- I ref

Let's go, Daniel!

Start off by frightening your opponent with a Scary Face. Follow that with a Present as an apology, then mock her with a Tail Whip when it blows up in her face. Unless it doesn't blow up, in which case, give her another.

Scary Face~Present~Tail Whip/Present

Alright, right about the time he's taunting you with the scary face, hit him with a Mud Slap. That should make him think twice about continuing with that. Then use a Defense Curl to counteract the incoming tail whip, and then finish off with a Lava Plume.

Mud Slap ~Defense Curl ~ Lava Plume

1v1 single
Special: Only Pokémon at their lowest stage of evolution (including 1 stage Pokémon)
Description: A small clearing in the leafy forest. There is no ready source of water nearby, and most of the ground is rotten leaf mulch. Caterpie, Weedle, and their evolutions roam the area, but won't come to investigate unless there's a strange bug in arena. The forest's Pikachu, on the other hand, are more than a little curious, and will occasionally run across the clearing. (Ref's discretion whether the wild Pokemon do anything besides look pretty.)

Pre-Round Notes
The three trainers have been hiking through the Viridian Forest for quite a while now, and they come across a clearing. The first thing they notice is that the clearing is almost exactly the right size and shape for a battlefield, albeit one lacking a pool of any kind; the other is that there are rather convinient felled trees at both ends and one side of the area, as though to provide seats. To sit on during a battle. The three, not surprisingly, decide to stage a battle. Squornshellous Beta assumes the role of referee, not having any of her own Pokémon at the time (she always makes sure she has access to the League's Pokémon, though, just in case of emergencies) while the other two sit down on their logs and send out their Pokémon: a Numel - female, Squornshellous notes, observing her swollen back - and a Snubbull, who growls menacingly at his opponent. The opponent catches the look, and her stance suddenly makes it obvious that she's nervous around the intimidating pink bulldog. As Squornshellous sits down on her own log, a Pikachu pops up and sits next to her, clearly interested; the referee hesitantly strokes it as she signals for the battle to begin.

Team Deathguise
1imko5.jpg

Numel-f
Vesvi (Female)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Mud-Slap ~ Defense Curl ~ Lava Plume

Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Scary Face ~ Present ~ Tail Whip / Present
Item: Moon Stone

Round 1 Begin!

While the Numel would normally be - marginally - the first to move, she hesitates, waiting for the perfect moment. Daniel begins using a dark energy to distort his face, the already intimidating fangs seeming to lengthen, the eyes glowing a bright red... but before she becomes too unnerved, Vesvi simply turns her back, then with a sweep of her hoof, she throws a clod of leaf-mulch and dirt at Daniel. It hits him square in the eyes, and he snaps out of his Scary Face immediately, trying to brush the stuff out of his eyes; he is mostly successful, but his eyes are still streaming and there's still some mulch there, so he can't see all too well.

Greatly pleased by her next order, Vesvi begins oozing lava from the hole in the top of her back; it flows gently down her back, coating her in what cools quickly into a thin layer of rock, protecting her from physical attacks and also trapping even more of her heat inside, to her great delight. Daniel runs forward and then almost shyly places a small, glowing ball of energy in front of her, muttering something about an apology for trying to scare her... Vesvi leans down and sniffs it nervously, then hesitantly takes a bite. The ball of energy, oddly, seems almost like a fruit, from its taste to the fact that it retains the bite-shape; Vesvi eats the remainder and notes the warming, soothing feeling it brings to her stomach. Maybe that bulldog's not so bad, she thinks, while the referee and her new companion Pikachu look on sadly, knowing what is to come.

Vesvi is reluctant to attack the one who gave her the glowy fruit, but orders are orders; she slowly builds up pressure inside the mini-volcano on her back, and as it builds the ground begins to shake until even Daniel notices it. It is at almost exactly this point that two things happen: one, the volcano erupts, a massive amount of lava bursting out and going basically everywhere, including all over Daniel, who barks several times and tries to shake it off; and two, a Pikachu darts into the clearing, straight into a puddle of lava. It screeches in pain, leaps back, and looks round at the source; it identifies Vesvi as the only thing in the clearing looking even close to content, and figures that's as good an excuse as any. It runs toward Vesvi, whimpering as it lands on its burned hind feet, and then leaps into the air before hitting her firmly in the back with its tail. The thin rock coating from earlier shatters and flakes away; Vesvi growls at the Pikachu, which looks as though it's going to attack before the fuzzy little fellow sitting next to Squornshellous Beta intercedes. With a few short lines of conversation, the intruder seems satisfied and leaves; the companion-chu returns to Squornshellous's side, tilting its head in such a way as to indicate that it wants to be stroked. As the referee obliges, Daniel finally remembers that he's supposed to be attacking; he steps delicately around the slowly cooling pools of lava and drops another orb of energy in front of Vesvi, before retreating. Vesvi leans forward to eat it, but it explodes in her face; she pulls back, more annoyed than hurt, and turns to glare at the Snubbull, who she has by now realized is little to be truly scared of after all.

Round 1 End!

Team Deathguise
1imko5.jpg

Numel-f
Vesvi (Female)
Health: 96%
Energy: 89%
Commands: Mud-Slap ~ Defense Curl ~ Lava Plume

Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Health: 88%
Energy: 90%
Commands: Scary Face ~ Present ~ Present

Damage / Energy Calculations
Scary Face - 4% energy (accuracy roll 62, needed 100 to miss)
Mud-Slap - 2% damage, 3% energy (accuracy roll 69, needed 100 to miss)
Defense Curl - 2% energy
Present - restored 8% health (Vesvi), 3% energy (accuracy roll 65, needed 90 or above to miss)
Lava Plume - 10% damage, 6% energy (accuracy roll 86, needed 100 to miss)
Present - 4% damage, 3% energy (accuracy roll 42, needed 90 or above to miss)

Notes
- Mud-Slap successfully interrupted Scary Face.
- Present healed Vesvi (not that that does much at 100% health), then dealt light damage.
- Numel... is faster than something? O.O
- Each round, I'm rolling a 20% chance for a wild Pokémon to come across the clearing. If a widespread attack is used that round, they will come that action and be caught in it, then attack the user (random attacks, but they will always be effective - no Thunderbolt on Vesvi, for example); otherwise they'll share half an Oran Berry (Pikachu, at least) with a random combatant.
- This round, a Pikachu came, got caught up in Lava Plume and attacked Vesvi with Tail Whip, conveniently enough.
- Vesvi realized by the third action that Daniel wasn't as intimidating as he appears, which according to the A&A guide nullifies Intimidate's effects.
- Wow, I'm writing much longer paragraphs than usual today - enjoy the block of text!
- Lots of notes here.

Arena Notes
- There are pools of lava basically everywhere, slowly cooling and hardening.
- There's a small area of disturbed ground where Vesvi used Mud-Slap.

Next Round
- Deathguise Attacks
- ole_schooler Attacks
- I ref

Internet's been down for a while, I'll make this quick.

Use Magnitude, then Attract, then Swagger. If he protects or detects, chill.

Magnitude/chill ~ ASttract/chill ~ Swagger/chill

Hmm. Do you best to beat her to the punch with an Attract. Regardless of it's effectiveness, Dig down at the end of the second action to avoid the oncoming Swagger. Plug your ears while you're down there if you have to. Dig back up after she's done (try to hit her? Please?)

Attract~Dig (down)~Dig (up+attack)

1v1 single
Team Deathguise
1imko5.jpg

Numel-f
Vesvi (Female)
Health: 96%
Energy: 89%
Commands: Magnitude / Chill ~ Attract / Chill ~ Swagger / Chill

Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Health: 88%
Energy: 90%
Commands: Attract ~ Dig (down) ~ Dig (up)

Round 2 Begin!

Once again, the slow-witted dromedary camel is first to move, heaving up and slamming her weight down on the ground much harder than the laws of physics would normally say possible; with each slam, the ground ripples like water, a massive shockwave spreading out and tearing up the once-peaceful meadow, as well as throwing Daniel to the ground and then bashing him around, throwing him around and bouncing him repeatedly. As though by magic, the shockwave dies out before it can get to and damage the forest around. Pulling himself to his feet, Daniel resents his next move, but his trainer gave the order, and so he must go with it; taking a deep breath, he prepares to compliment Vesvi. A few choice compliments and a mild hypnotic suggestion are enough to render her Attracted, and Daniel can tell that it has worked by the Numel's slightly dopier look and vague smile as she considers the object of her love.

A minute goes by, and by this point Daniel is reasonably sure that Vesvi isn't going to do anything; indeed, she is simply staring into space, thoughts of Daniel and herself running through her mind. Daniel himself begins scrabbling at the ground with his tiny paws, and within a matter of seconds is underground and getting deeper.

Suddenly, Vesvi snaps out of her Daniel-thoughts-stupor and remembers that she's supposed to be battling; she reluctantly prepares to insult her dearest fluffypinkdog, but then looks around and sees no sign of Daniel, and a smallish hole. Assuming, correctly, that he can't hear her underground, she feels much more at ease shouting out that thing that she had thought of. She feels very glad that he couldn't hear it, scandalous as it is, and continues feeling glad for all of six seconds. The reason she stops feeling glad at the end of six seconds is that the ground underneath her erupts upwards in a shower of dirt, throwing her over sideways and allowing lava to flow out of her back and begin pooling on the ground, and Daniel crawls out. He looks around, sees Vesvi, fakes a look of apology and then runs back to his own end of the field. Vesvi is left to try to struggle to her feet, fragments of thoughts going through her mind: he... attacked? He... maybe not like me? No... no. He... he was underground. Underground cannot see aboveground. He must not have known I was there... yes, that seems right.

Round 2 End!

Team Deathguise
1imko5.jpg

Numel-f
Vesvi (Female)
Health: 84%
Energy: 79%
Status: He's pretty cute. ...I think. Attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love')
Attacks Used: Magnitude ~ [attracted] ~ Swagger

Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Health: 75%
Energy: 78%
Attacks Used: Attract ~ Dig (down) ~ Dig (up)

Magnitude (9) - 13% damage, 5% energy (accuracy roll 52, needed 100 to miss)
Attract - 4% energy (accuracy roll 32, needed 90 or above to miss)
Dig - 4% energy
Swagger - 5% energy (missed)
Dig - 12% damage, 4% energy (accuracy roll 10, needed 90 or above to miss)

Notes
- No Pikachu this round.
- I hate writing Attract dialog. So I didn't.
- Ironically, Vesvi was too attracted to use Attract.
- Dig allowed Daniel to avoid Swagger.

Arena Notes
- The entire clearing has been shattered and smashed by the Magnitude. The existing solidifying rocky lava pools have been shattered, and the place is in chaos.
- There is a large pool of lava where Vesvi got knocked over, allowing it to flow out of her back. It's big enough that it's solidifying pretty slowly, and is extremely hot.

Next Round
- ole_schooler Attacks
- Deathguise Attacks
- I ref

Yay, that worked! Who's a good little pudgy puggy puppy? You are, yes you are!

*ahem* Babytalk aside, time for strategy. Slap some mud into the camel's face (it's like a facial, right?). Follow that up with a Mega Punch and a Mega Kick, because, well, muscles are impressive? Or because you're supposed to be in a fight, not falling in love. If ever she ups her evasion, is underground, or uses protect or detect, I'd like you to replace your current move with Bulk Up. Oh, and if you have a status problem by the last action, use a Heal Bell.

Mud-Slap/Bulk Up~ Mega Punch/Bulk Up~ Mega Kick/Bulk Up/Heal Bell

I knew I should have gone with oblivious :/

Well, if you can't beat em, join em. Start with Attract, and then Howl your admiration as much as possible. Then continue to impress him with your stat-upping abilities by using Defence Curl again.

Attract ~ Howl ~ Defence Curl

1v1 single
Team Deathguise
1imko5.jpg

Numel-f
Vesvi (Female)
Health: 84%
Energy: 79%
Status: He's pretty cute. ...I think. Attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love')
Commands: Attract ~ Howl ~ Defense Curl

Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Energy: 78%
Commands: Mud-Slap / Bulk Up ~ Mega Punch / Bulk Up ~ Mega Kick / Bulk Up / Heal Bell

Round 2 Begin!

Since Vesvi is still trying to struggle through her mess of half-formed thoughts, Daniel has the honour of attacking first once more: he simply kicks up a clod of dirt towards her face. It hits right where it was intended to, and the dirt gets in her eyes; she moans softly and then begins addressing Daniel: "Why'd you attack me? I... I thought you loved me! It... it's not nice being hit by dirt... I can't see now... why?" Her simplistic style of speech combined with the very slight energy she put behind her words suddenly breaks through Daniel's mental defenses, and he feels himself being overcome with sorrow and regret, and, falling to his knees, he begins begging for her forgiveness.

Vesvi interrupts his pleading after a few seconds with a few semi-articulate sentences declaring her forgiveness, but asking him to be careful in future. He readily agrees, and very little happens for the next few minutes, the battlers simply staring into each other's eyes.

Vesvi is the one to break the stare; she looks away and shivers, muttering something about being cold. As Daniel wonders just how a creature literally full of magma feels cold, she begins oozing lava out of her back, though only a very small amount; it pours over her and solidifies, hardening into a solid layer of rock, albeit a bit thin. She looks back at him, and, grinning, mutters "It is... like your fur... keeps me warm."

Round 2 End!

Team Deathguise
1imko5.jpg

Numel-f
Vesvi (Female)
Health: 82%
Energy: 72%
Status: Nice and warm now. ...I think. Attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love'), defense +2, accuracy -2.
Attacks Used: Attract ~ [attracted] ~ Defense Curl

Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Energy: 75%
Status: Huh, you learn something new every day. Accuracy -1, Attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love').
Attacks Used: Mud-Slap ~ [attracted] ~ [attracted]

Mud-Slap - 2% damage, 3% energy (accuracy roll 12, needed 100 to miss)
Attract - 5% energy (accuracy roll 45, needed 100 to miss)
Defense Curl - 2% energy

Notes
- No Pikachu this round.
- This was both short and boring to write. Sorry guys.

Arena Notes
- The entire clearing has been shattered and smashed by the Magnitude. The existing solidifying rocky lava pools have been shattered, and the place is in chaos.
- There is a large pool of lava where Vesvi got knocked over, allowing it to flow out of her back. It's big enough that it's solidifying pretty slowly, and is extremely hot.

Next Round
- Deathguise Attacks
- ole_schooler Attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom