• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Black and White

Re: Pokémon Black and White

Sadly I sold my DS awhile ago like an idiot (before the announcement of B/W) but I have been playing the ROM on my laptop though it's English translated so all the names aren't the same.

I'm on my way to Nimbasa City.

Team:
Pignite (Lvl 27)
Timburr (Lvl 22)
Roggenrola (Lvl 23)
Blitzle (Lvl 17)
Pansage (Lvl 15)
Patrat (Lvl 10)

And a few in the box that I can't remember right now

Castelia City is the best thing since sliced bread. No, its way better than sliced bread.

Also, lol at the breakdancing trio.

TEAM:
Servine (Lv. 22)
Sawk (Lv. 22)
Herdier (Lv. 22)
Timburr (Lv. 16)
Panpour (Lv. 15)
Munna (Lv. 8)

Just beating the ice gym. Can't get internet working on the ds which is frustrating.
Also, where is the name rater? I have been looking in Castleia city for hours and I can't find him...does he even appear at night?

Scrapper L40 (f) Scrafty
Merry L39 (m) Zebrastika
Debbie L39 (f) Samurott
Happy L40 (f) Darmanitan
Non L40 (f) Krookodile
Fluffee L39 (f) Cottonee

I do also have a swoobat in reserve, but he isn't that good. =/

I'm in Mistralton now! :D I've caught a bunch of Pokemon that I actually wanted on my team, and I have several people keeping spare Gothitas for me! Here is my team right now:

Alphard [Litwick] f, lv. 30
Antares [Archen] m, lv. 30
Denebola [Servine] f,, lv. 33
Vega [Musharna] m, lv. 32
Sketch [Stoutland] f, lv. 33
Spica [Joltik] f, lv. 28

Altair the Unfezant and Kitalpha the Zebstrika have henceforth been retired for being a little bit awful in battle. But they served me well! Also, Madoka the Zoroark.

I actually noticed the doctor/nurse thing mentioned earlier and was... rather annoyed at the time. And confused. Geez, Game Freak. :|

...but in other news, eeee Pokemon look adorable when they sleep!

Last edited:

Rinne/Servine (F) Lv. 23
Varst/Herdier (M) Lv. 24
Neska/Swoobat (F) Lv. 24
Falsair/Drillbur (F) Lv. 23

I got me a Drillbur when I opened up a walkthrough and figured out I could get it in that one cave near the Accumula Town that I forgot the name of via dust cloud. She's quite cute. :3 Although she kinda sucks... the walkthrough said it gets better when she evolves though, so I'll stick to her.

Neska and Varst are pretty much my two most useful Pokémon. Especially Neska since she evolved. She's beating everything. Wish I could say the same for my starter... such horrible moves. The lack of things weak to Grass is also making stuff a bit annoying.

I might need an Electric and Water type... but all the Water types minus Oshawott are as ugly as sin... hmm.

Oh well! I've reached Castelia City and it is... the most amazing thing in a Pokémon game I have ever seen. They really pushed the DS to the limit and you can tell. I love it, and I love the feel. Especially cool was that I first reached it at night time, so it was like this awesome dark city.

Currently am going to do something about Team Plasma after I catch Victini.

I doubt that the Nurse/Doctor thing was intentional as much as it was an oversight; a pretty big oversight, though, when you consider that they did change the Japanese Businessman and OL/Office Lady to just Clerk ♂ and Clerk ♀.

I did notice and wonder about that, actually. It does amuse me that some trainer classes have the gender signs next to them (Swimmers always used to), but Rangers and Ace Trainers didn't.

The Camper/Picknicker thing bothers me, though. Can girls not camp? Black Belt/Battle Girl is a pretty odd distiction to make, too.

Colosseum was obviously the best, though. Female Bodybuilders ftw XD

Actually, while we're on gender in the Pokemon games - does it confuse anyone else that Twins are always young identical girls? Twins come in other combinations, Nintendo o.O

Also, where is the name rater? I have been looking in Castleia city for hours and I can't find him...does he even appear at night?

The screen right before you go into the sandy route, the only door on the left. It's the dude with the moustache sitting by himself.

also on the subject of genders in Pokemon: lol, my friend picked to be the girl at first and ended up starting over because he was pissed at the pink everywhere/heart motif on the c-gear/purse instead of a backpack.

OH GOD this game.

Current team:
[Snivy]Bro[M]lv15

YES BRO

Oh my god, really? I'm playing as a guy, just because I usually do, and had no idea. This makes me sad.

You know what also makes me sad? Archen can't learn Fly. What utter madness is this???

Also - on the Pokedex, do you eventually get an option to view Height and Weight in relation to the trainer? Or does it exist and I'm being silly? Because I miss going through my 'dex and realizing that, holy hell, Xatu is big.
(I require visual representation of measurements, because I have no earthly idea what a 'lb' is)

You know what also makes me sad? Archen can't learn Fly. What utter madness is this???

I know!!! This is ridiculous and means that I have to keep going back to fetch my old Unfezant every time. :| Apparently its evolved form can learn it, though!

(I require visual representation of measurements, because I have no earthly idea what a 'lb' is)
That would be a pound.

SO ANYWAY I have just gotten the fifth badge (why does Clay's accent make me giggle) and am currently level-grinding.

CURRENT TEAM:

Armando (Dewott) Lv. 32
Victoria (Victini) Lv. 29
Butterfree (Joltik) Lv. 24 (I just caught her, so)
Waldorf (Sawk) Lv. 28
Mika (Duosion) Lv. 32 (Traded from Sable)
Vera (Zoroark) Lv. 32 (Also traded in)

Oh my god, really? I'm playing as a guy, just because I usually do, and had no idea. This makes me sad.

Yeah, it's quite irritating. Part of me almost wouldn't mind so much, except the color they chose for the items/bag menu is really really obnoxious. It's this deep pink that's almost kind of red but isn't, and it's really loud and bright and ugh. A girlier pink more akin to what they used for everything else (everything... even the little pencil that scribbles along when you're saving your game, jesus) would've been easier on the eyes. :/

I will be ever-so-slightly mollified when they open the Global Link and start offering the downloads, though. A nice fire-spewing charizard (instead of all the little hearts good god wtf) on my C-Gear will go at least a little ways toward balancing out all the omgpink.

Really, they ought to just let you customize these sorts of colors anyway. Even for the guys--why always blue (except the pokédex, which is red and there's really no reason they couldn't have just left it like that for the girls)? What about boys that like red, or green, or--le gasp--pink? Stereotypical colors aside, what if I just want something different?

That would be a pound.

Oh god what is wrong with my brain. The first thing I thought reading this was "No, lb is in the American system, pounds are British." I am American. I weigh myself in pounds.

Goddamn homonyms.

When I restarted my Japanese White and choose Touko, I was rather PO'd at the sheer girliness of everything that wasn't her design. Did they think they had to make up for the tomboyish design or something? Ugh.

And while Archen can't use Fly, its evolution can. I used it on my White after all.

Oh god what is wrong with my brain. The first thing I thought reading this was "No, lb is in the American system, pounds are British." I am American. I weigh myself in pounds.

Goddamn homonyms.
Man, if I had a kilogram for every time I confused weight and currency

Okay so I kinda love this game.

I love how it's so simple, like in Gens I and II. It's not all SUPER-CONTRIVED-PLOT-TO-GET-YOU-A-POGEYMAN, it's all "okay here's your Pokemon go on a journey! :D" And thus love.

Also Cheren. Just...Cheren. <3 That kid is adorable in a strange sorta way

EDIT: Also why does the Pokedex look like a black-and-pink version of my iPod

That would be a pound.

Aahaha, I know. Although I do enjoy pronouncing them as "lubbs". But I have no idea how heavy one is.... although, to be fair, I'm not really sure what a kilo is, either. Or a stone. I'm not so good at the ol' measurements.
Except 16.4m is the height of a human tower of the Serenity crew.

I might stick Archen with an Exp Share then. Hm.

I've not battled the final gym leader yet, but my team's mostly level 45-ish. I think I'm overlevelled, because I've slaughtered the last few gym leaders. It was a bit disappointing, really :/

I reckon a customising option would be great. Am I right in saying that this game doesn't even have the option to change the style of the frame? I always loved changing the frames. ):

Currently running around on Route 6 training... Blitz somehow outleveled my entire team. Have four badges, weee.

[Jack] Dewott (male) Lv26 @Mystic Water
-Relaxed/Torrent
--Fury Cutter
--Tail Whip
--Water Pulse
--Razor Shell

[Milla] Miccino (female) Lv25 @Soothe Bell
-Jolly/Cute Charm
--Return
--Dig
--Sing
--Swift