• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fandom Mafia 2 [TOWN WIN]

Re: Fandom Mafia 2 (Game in Progress)

"Butterfree is dead"? No mention of alignment? Does this mean her alignment wasn't innocent nor mafia? Like, an alien?

If you think about it, it make sense. No death on N0 despite nearly everybody posting the following day phase, and Butterfree turning up dead without mention of an alignment. It just screams alien.

So, res, any particular reason you claimed alien?

Why not? If he was the alien and even claimed to be, why wouldn't the mafia kill him during the previous night and opt for Butterfree instead?

Because I'm the inspector.

On N0, Flora came up Mafia. On N1 1. Luftballon also came up Mafia.

It is very possible that res is an activated alien.

Well, I'm just going to put this out there, I'm protected from one death per turn. So it could be possible that I was attacked and survived, and the alien wasn't activated. Not saying that he isn't the alien, just saying it's possible.

IGNORE THAT I'M AN IDIOT

I'm thinking hopeandjoy might be paranoid inspector? 2 mafia in a row is unusual.

2La4.gif

Whoa. whoa whoa whoa. Hi there inspector claim.

I was gonna say "maybe VM just forgot the alignment" but that quickly became irrelevant

Anyways, re: inspector claim. Under ordinary circumstances I'd go all "well obviously claimer is lying" but! But but but.

See, I'm apparently vanilla. Which is sketchy, because with all the snazzy role options with these characters (mine in particular) why would I get vanilla?

Plus, knowing my character (are we allowed to claim characters?), it's infinitely more likely for me to be miller, aka "suspicious but always rolls mafia in an inspection."

res, on the other hand, is equally likely to be either actual alien trying to troll us or actual mafia trying to claim alien to keep itself alive.

If we have a vig it might be easier to have vig take out res then.

Well, I'm just going to put this out there, I'm protected from one death per turn. So it could be possible that I was attacked and survived, and the alien wasn't activated. Not saying that he isn't the alien, just saying it's possible.

Oh, wait, one kill total. Regardless, my point stands.

er. what I wanted to say about that: a better move would have been to report the result, with the qualifier "it could have been alien" and suggestion "so we kill it if it's not dead tomorrow", then instruct doctors, if any, to probabilistically heal you (i.e. flip coin, heal you if heads, or otherwise themselves).

in any case, mafia is forced to retarget any player who does not die (as long as no other player has communicated a reason for that lack of death) as long as town makes this expectation of it (and town should communicate this expectation to the mafia), befause mafia does not want alien win, either.

this would be complicated by the existence of a vig, but therefore any vig probably should not move on this information ...

on probabilistic healing: this behavior is useful when risks of dying are nightkills and overdose from multiple doctors. clearly, it is inappropriate to leave oneself entirely exposed, because then mafia should off the inspector immediately. however, having all doctors use their heals is also undesirable because this results in dockill if more than one doctor is still alive. the aim of the probabilistic approach, where each of n doctors gives itself a probability p of healing you, is to increase the utility of killing any other player over that of (1-p)^n-killing you. although n is not usually known, for most games around here, we assume n=2, which gives p^2 dockill, 2p(1-p) protection, (1-p)^2 unprotected.

in any case, optimal p depends on the ratio of uninspected mafia to uninspected town left in the game, and these numbers are not exactly known for anyone (an inspector doesn't generally know how many mafia are left, even if it can usually make a solid guess; and mafia only knows how many of each have been inspected before the first death, and prolonging that is not a recipe for mafia victory).

... also I got sidetracked and I was actually intending to write up plan + explanation but then I ended up spouting theory without the numbers for support, oops.

(if it ever seems like I involve myself in mafia more to make up theory than to actually play mafia, well. it's. probably true.)

that said, if I remember correctly, vm has agreed in the past that inspector is a poorly-designed role (... in different words), and last fandom mafia actually had loads of inforoles (Role: Twilight Sparkle (Flavor Cop - Innocent), Role: Lucas (Innocent Child - Innocent), Role: Kyubey (Role Cop - Mafia), Role: Davesprite (Tracker - Innocent)) but no inspector, so finding an actual inspector here is very suspect.

giving a miller not informed of this quality also seems an inappropriate role ...

as for plan + explain:

I am Role: Kyubey (Incubator - Innocent), and the function I'd describe as bulletproof watcher: I learn who targets me, but not what actions. night 0, I was targetted twice and nobody died. this is weak evidence in favor of one of the ones who targetted me was the don. as I am immune to nightkill, I made the alien claim to avoid the possibility of the other one who targetted me, if doctor, claiming, while also, hopefully, having the don target me again, for intersection identification.

that didn't happen, as we can see; I was targetted twice again, but neither of these were the same as on the previous night.

I ... had the impression that flora could have been the don who targetted me night 0, and hopeandjoy, who targetted me this night, could be cofactional mafia who gambled on maybe I'm not alien, then role-copped me (... well, I was mafia role cop last game, so that's definitely not impossible) and received Kyubey, and are now trying to avoid having me lynched, because I'm p sure "Kyubey is an alien" is common enough knowledge around here even without much more familiarity with medumegu. even if I don't get lynched, the accusation otherwise would likely be interpreted as an indication of noncofactionality, which would alleviate suspicion on one or the other as soon as the other flips mafia, so they would benefit either way in this case.

I can't remember what my reasoning was which led to that impression, but I've managed to convince myself with this reasoning, so I'll be voting Flora even if I don't necessarily trust hopeandjoy.

because let's face it, claiming vanilla uninformed miller after a copclaim is definitely suspicious around here, and even if it's true, that's pretty close to least bad mislynch we could make.

I'll agree with res for the time being and vote Flora.

Although it also might be worth looking into Butterfree's role. I would say it's unlikely that she was doctor, but an inforole wouldn't be entirely out of the question. Perhaps by meeting someone for a drug deal she would then be getting info about that person? Although that seems shoddy. Or roleblocker, perhaps? Selling stimulants to people in order to incapacitate them that night?

I'll wait for Flora to defend herself before I place a vote, I'm not sold yet. but uninformed miller is pretty bastard :z...

Perhaps by meeting someone for a drug deal she would then be getting info about that person? Although that seems shoddy. Or roleblocker, perhaps? Selling stimulants to people in order to incapacitate them that night?

The first one isn't too extreme; inforoles everywhere last game as res pointed out. Kyubey was not alien, was a mafia role cop and found out roles by presumably meeting to make a contract or something - PM was vague.
If we're going with the roleblocker line of thought, maybe incapacitating them the day after, so they wouldn't be able to post? There is also the thing in which Butterfree was innocent meaning innocent drug dealer, somehow.

Butterfree could have been killed by vig, perhaps res was killed again by mafia and the other action was [hopeandjoy's?] inspection? 1. Luftballon, how exactly are you bulletproof? You explained the "watcher" part of "bulletproof watcher", but how are you bulletproof?

Well, let's see...

From the flavor, Butterfree obviously sent in her action that night. I'm leaning more towards inforole, though. Drugs for information is something not unheard of.

If it's even allowed, hopeandjoy and Flora should character claim. Even though Flora claiming is extremely suspicious, I want to hear her speak (write in this case?).

Can you make all death notices like this from now on :p

res's theory, at least concerning the inspector/inforoles part, makes enough sense to me. Not to say the I completely trust it, but it makes sense.

I'd like to break away from the Flora kill and question two mafia inspects in a row seems off, which brings up the possibility of either a Paranoid Cop, and a blatant lie. But that's an awfully bad lie to make on the second day.

I...suppose uninformed miller is pretty bastard, in terms of mafia on here. (That being said, I'm a tad more used to epicmafia-style mafia, where miller is always uninformed, so I didn't bat an eye.)

My character is Riku from Kingdom Hearts (whoa spoilers, by the way). Since Riku did his whole ~*~darkness~*~ thing in the first game and still has some darkness-abilities, it would make a little sense for an inspector to pick up on that and get a mafia read.

Honestly, I'd be skeptical of res's bulletproof watcher claim even if it didn't make me the object of suspicion. Because that really sounds like overkill. But, you know, alien blahblahblah not gonna make a lynch there yet.

(especially since i'm a little inclined to believe hopeandjoy, even if paranoid!cop is a possibility.)

I'm Dick Gumshoe. Which I guess could lead into a Paranoid Cop role.

Back
Top Bottom