• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

What is the crit chance for domain seven?

Base domain =1 +Superluck =2 +Snatched Focus Energy =4 +Lansat Berry =6 +Night Slash =7.

Or did I do that calculation wrong?

Last edited:
What is the crit chance for domain seven?

Base domain =1 +Superluck =2 +Snatched Focus Energy =4 +Lansat Berry =6 +Night Slash =7.

Or did I do that calculation wrong?

Per Bulbapedia, the effects of Focus Energy, Lansat Berry, and Dire Hit can't stack with each other. I'm not sure if we've modified that in ASB (somebody, please speak up if I'm wrong), but if we haven't, your calculation would add up to a crit domain of 5.

Anyway, the games treat excessively high crit domains as equivalent to the highest one defined (+4, +5, etc. all have the same crit chance as +3 in Gen 6, for example), so I don't see why we wouldn't do the same in ASB.

Per Bulbapedia, the effects of Focus Energy, Lansat Berry, and Dire Hit can't stack with each other. I'm not sure if we've modified that in ASB (somebody, please speak up if I'm wrong), but if we haven't, your calculation would add up to a crit domain of 5.

Anyway, the games treat excessively high crit domains as equivalent to the highest one defined (+4, +5, etc. all have the same crit chance as +3 in Gen 6, for example), so I don't see why we wouldn't do the same in ASB.

I was just wondering how high crit domains could get.

With a razor claw instead, the Domain would be +6, then? And that would be treated as Domain 5, right?

Last edited:
Critical hit domain increases always stack in ASB, but they can never go higher than Domain 5 -- which, as mentioned in the Damage and Energy Guide, nets you a 50% chance of landing a critical hit.

If a first-stage Pokemon needs 2 more exp to evolve to its second evolution, and needs to be holding an item to evolve to its third evolution, can it evolve straight to the third evolution if it enters that battle holding the item and gets 2 exp from it? Or does it need to enter the battle holding the item as the second evolution?

On a similar note, if a first-stage Pokemon needs 2 more exp for its second evolution and 4 more for its third, can it evolve straight to the third evolution if it happens to earn enough total exp to meet the criteria in one battle? (Probably not realistic but it could happen!)

If a first-stage Pokemon needs 2 more exp to evolve to its second evolution, and needs to be holding an item to evolve to its third evolution, can it evolve straight to the third evolution if it enters that battle holding the item and gets 2 exp from it? Or does it need to enter the battle holding the item as the second evolution?

On a similar note, if a first-stage Pokemon needs 2 more exp for its second evolution and 4 more for its third, can it evolve straight to the third evolution if it happens to earn enough total exp to meet the criteria in one battle? (Probably not realistic but it could happen!)
First question: No, it must battle as the stage 1 holding the item before it can evolve into the Stage 2.

Second question: Based on how the ASBDB works, yes, it would be able to evolve twice in quick succession. In the old system I'm not sure if they'd allow it.

Can you have a pokemon convert to a random type?

Using what method? There's no way to choose a random type. Protean chooses the type of whatever move you choose, so there's no way of choosing a random type besides saying to use a random move. Conversion is Protean on command, and Reflect Type just matches the opponent's type. I guess it would be possible to say to use Conversion or Conversion2 on a random move, but that would probably be covered by the conversation a few pages back.

Would moves like Absorb have the health restored rounded down or up after dividing the damage total in half?
Down.

Can you have a pokemon convert to a random type?
Well, yes, but there's a catch. Technically, each different type of Conversion you call in is a different conditional, so, while it's (currently) acceptable to have your Pokémon pick conditionals at random, you get no more than three specific types to randomly choose from, and that's if you're not also using any other conditionals in the same action.

Random inconsistency:

The description of Gluttony states that Belly Drum deals only 8% damage to the user, but the description of Belly Drum states that if the user has Gluttony, the move deals 10% damage to the user. The normal self-inflicted damage caused by Belly Drum is 15%

Which description is correct?

Last edited:
Random inconsistency:

The description of Gluttony states that Belly Drum deals only 8% damage to the user, but the description of Belly Drum states that if the user has Gluttony, the move deals 10% damage to the user. The normal self-inflicted damage caused by Belly Drum is 15%

Which description is correct?

This is the answer I got when I asked the same question last year:

Belly Drum's entry in the database says it costs 15% health.

Gluttony's entry says it cuts health-percentage things like this in half, which would theoretically make Belly Drum cost 7.5% health (rounded up to 8%). However, in the example given in Gluttony's entry, it says it would make Belly Drum cost 10% health.

Which is correct?

The 10% figure is correct. Belly Drum is sort of a special case, which I guess is just worded awkwardly to sound like an example.

For future reference: if Pokemon A uses Encore on Pokemon B, and Pokemon B realizes it's been Encore'd and breaks it early, does Pokemon A know that Pokemon B has been released from Encore early? Or does Pokemon A have to wait until Pokemon B chooses a non-Encore'd move to realize that?

Not sure if this is has been asked before, so apologies if it has.

Can a Pokemon be ordered to target a specific limb (such as, Rock Smash on the leg, Ice beam the arm) to try to limit the foe's mobility? Iirc the anime has had Pokemon with injured limbs have a harder time performing, but I'm not sure if that's passable here

For future reference: if Pokemon A uses Encore on Pokemon B, and Pokemon B realizes it's been Encore'd and breaks it early, does Pokemon A know that Pokemon B has been released from Encore early? Or does Pokemon A have to wait until Pokemon B chooses a non-Encore'd move to realize that?
I'd sooner leave this one a grey area, but a reasonable default would be "Pokémon A can tell Encore has been broken off unless Pokémon B is actively deceiving Pokémon A about it".

Not sure if this is has been asked before, so apologies if it has.

Can a Pokemon be ordered to target a specific limb (such as, Rock Smash on the leg, Ice beam the arm) to try to limit the foe's mobility? Iirc the anime has had Pokemon with injured limbs have a harder time performing, but I'm not sure if that's passable here
You can certainly try it out, but note that it's entirely up to the referee whether it'd work and how much damage needs to be done before you have an effective injury in place.

Is there an established rule on whether recoil damage should be rounded up or down? I just can't seem to remember... I'm in favour of at least leaving that up to the ref, because personally I like rounded it up in accordance with the fact that things tend to be rounded so as to disadvantage the user of the move (e.g. damage rounds down, energy rounds up, absorbed health rounds down, number of clones rounds down...).

Is there an established rule on whether recoil damage should be rounded up or down? I just can't seem to remember... I'm in favour of at least leaving that up to the ref, because personally I like rounded it up in accordance with the fact that things tend to be rounded so as to disadvantage the user of the move (e.g. damage rounds down, energy rounds up, absorbed health rounds down, number of clones rounds down...).

I usually just round to the nearest whole number, I think. Which seems like a reasonable middle ground?

If a Pokemon has already used Fake Out to make one target flinch, would another use of Fake Out be able to flinch a different target? I think it might make more flavor sense for it to, but the explicit wording of the description implies that it wouldn't.

That's reasonable enough.

If a Pokemon has already used Fake Out to make one target flinch, would another use of Fake Out be able to flinch a different target? I think it might make more flavor sense for it to, but the explicit wording of the description implies that it wouldn't.
I could swear there was an established precedent here but I can't seem to fish it out. Well, unless something turns up to contradict me: yes, a given Pokémon should be able to successfully Fake Out different targets each time. (The really tricky question here would be whether a Pokémon that has already fallen for a Fake Out before should be able to fall for another from a different Pokémon... hmmmm.)

Does Fake Out still cause a flinch against Pokemon that are immune to the damage? In-game it doesn't, but in ASB I would assume the surprise of the move, not the damage, is what causes the flinch.

Back
Top Bottom