• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mafia Idea Center

I don't much have the brainpower for playing mafia these days, but I'd still like to get my hands dirty somehow... I could maybe run the SWSH Choice mafia, if you'd rather not? I've wanted to try my hand at running a choice game for a little while now.

TinyHunt sounds interesting! IDK that I'd be up for playing in the immediate future but I am intrigued and would like to try it at some point. :O

Meanwhile, would anyone be interested in trying a game of The Resistance here on TCoDf? I'm sure at least a few people here have played it before, whether face-to-face or online, but whirlwind summary for those who haven't: Resistance is similar to Mafia in that it's got an informed minority trying to get the better of an uninformed majority. It's different in that you don't vote anyone off the island and never mechanically resolve anyone's alignment (in the base game, anyway, there are variant rules that kinda do), so everyone plays until the end, and instead the two teams play to best of five rounds. Basically, everyone discusses who should "go on a mission", with a specific number of players required for the mission each round. The mission can either succeed or fail based on the mission team's votes: succeeding is a point for the resistance, and failing is a point for the spies (though they can choose to succeed if they want to be sneaky). You spend the discussion phases arguing why you're a resistance member who should absolutely go on missions while Player B is a mean ol' spy who can't be trusted, and maybe you shouldn't trust Player C if they think obvious spy B should be on the mission team, hm?!

I can give a more detailed explanation of the rules if there's interest, but that's the gist of it. I would have to adjust a few mechanics from face-to-face to forum, but I know it's been played on other forums so it can't be that hard to dig up/invent workable solutions. If anyone has played forum Resistance before, I would appreciate opinions on how to handle some things!

For those wondering about "but are there enough people for a game", Resistance can run with as few as five players (the rules in the box go up to ten; I'd have to figure out Math on how to run more than that, so ten would likely be the cap), so it should hopefully be doable even in these slow times.

I don't much have the brainpower for playing mafia these days, but I'd still like to get my hands dirty somehow... I could maybe run the SWSH Choice mafia, if you'd rather not? I've wanted to try my hand at running a choice game for a little while now.

TinyHunt sounds interesting! IDK that I'd be up for playing in the immediate future but I am intrigued and would like to try it at some point. :O

Meanwhile, would anyone be interested in trying a game of The Resistance here on TCoDf? I'm sure at least a few people here have played it before, whether face-to-face or online, but whirlwind summary for those who haven't: Resistance is similar to Mafia in that it's got an informed minority trying to get the better of an uninformed majority. It's different in that you don't vote anyone off the island and never mechanically resolve anyone's alignment (in the base game, anyway, there are variant rules that kinda do), so everyone plays until the end, and instead the two teams play to best of five rounds. Basically, everyone discusses who should "go on a mission", with a specific number of players required for the mission each round. The mission can either succeed or fail based on the mission team's votes: succeeding is a point for the resistance, and failing is a point for the spies (though they can choose to succeed if they want to be sneaky). You spend the discussion phases arguing why you're a resistance member who should absolutely go on missions while Player B is a mean ol' spy who can't be trusted, and maybe you shouldn't trust Player C if they think obvious spy B should be on the mission team, hm?!

I can give a more detailed explanation of the rules if there's interest, but that's the gist of it. I would have to adjust a few mechanics from face-to-face to forum, but I know it's been played on other forums so it can't be that hard to dig up/invent workable solutions. If anyone has played forum Resistance before, I would appreciate opinions on how to handle some things!

For those wondering about "but are there enough people for a game", Resistance can run with as few as five players (the rules in the box go up to ten; I'd have to figure out Math on how to run more than that, so ten would likely be the cap), so it should hopefully be doable even in these slow times.

Ohh, for sure, thank you for offering! The release is still a month out and signups would probably run later for the full gamut of flavor choices, so I'm not too sure how the situation would look for either of us at that time - we can see how it looks when it gets closer to the date?

I would absolutely be down for a game of The Resistance! I've never played, but I've heard of it before and it sounds really fun.

resistance is awesome and i would be down to play it for sure! never played it on forums before but it seems like it should be pretty doable since it's a relatively simple game.

I'd play if it's Avalon! I probably wouldn't play regular Resistance, I never really know what to do in it.

I'd play if it's Avalon! I probably wouldn't play regular Resistance, I never really know what to do in it.

Unfortunately I haven't played Avalon before (though I've heard of it), so I'm not really sure how it works! If I can find a proper breakdown of all the roles and such, though, it's certainly something I'd be willing to run after making sure I can run regular Resistance on a forum without borking something. I'd also be willing to add the Inquisitor after a test run, since I do know how that works, at least. Or even the other add-ons, if there's interest, although Wikipedia doesn't describe those very thoroughly so I'd need to find the actual rules for them first. All I've got is the original vanilla game so I have no idea what any of the newer stuff does, haha.

(I know normally Resistance doesn't have a moderator and the players manage everything themselves, but I don't think it'd work on a forum without one. Unless someone knows different!)

But anyway! Since it seems like there's some interest, I can work on putting together the full set of rules for anyone who needs them and figuring out other logistical stuff.

Yeah, I don't know how it could be done without some sort of moderator.

Off the top of my head these are the Avalon roles I know:

Bad Guys

Mordred: the big bad.
Morgana: only makes sense when Merlin is in the game, see below.
Oberon: doesn't know who the other bad guys are, and the other bad guys don't know him.
Minions of Mordred: vanilla bad guys.

Good Guys

Merlin: at the beginning of the game, learns the identities (but not roles) of all the bad guys (including Oberon if in the game) except Mordred.
Percival: at the beginning of the game, learns the identities (but not roles) of Merlin and Morgana.
Loyal Servants of Arthur: vanilla good guys.

If Merlin is in the game and the good guys win, the bad guys have one chance to guess Merlin's identity. If they guess correctly, they win the game anyway, and if they guess wrong then they lose.

I don't know much about good setups, except that if you have Merlin in a game you should have some of Mordred/Morgana/Percival. Also Oberon isn't very fun, probably.

I found a list of some typical 7-10 player setups for the physical game here. It seems like because the special roles can affect the game a lot with only 5-6 players, most people prefer to play regular Resistance and not Avalon at those numbers.

Fae Court Mafia. Direct lying is forbidden discouraged, but players cannot be asked their role or allegiance. Infractions will be quietly noted by the GM, and penalty points will be declared at the end of the day. There are four Courts, one for each season, with members of the secret Traitor Court interspersed between the four. Preferably 16 players.

Fae Court Mafia. Direct lying is forbidden discouraged, but players cannot be asked their role or allegiance. Infractions will be quietly noted by the GM, and penalty points will be declared at the end of the day. There are four Courts, one for each season, with members of the secret Traitor Court interspersed between the four. Preferably 16 players.
ooooh, i like the idea of forcing people to tell the “truth”
many shenanigans can be had there

i keep mentioning mafia.gg but never really do much to get it off the ground. would anyone be interested in playing a few rounds this weekend? we’ll probably start with a pretty vanilla setup and gradually assist as time goes on. the games are pretty quick, not more than half an hour each. we can do some gimmicky setups as well. lmk if anyone is interested in this and we can start hammering out times!

i keep mentioning mafia.gg but never really do much to get it off the ground. would anyone be interested in playing a few rounds this weekend? we’ll probably start with a pretty vanilla setup and gradually assist as time goes on. the games are pretty quick, not more than half an hour each. we can do some gimmicky setups as well. lmk if anyone is interested in this and we can start hammering out times!
/in tbh!

we should redux some older mafia games from when the forums were dead, now that we have a larger playerbase
i really miss capitalist mafia's mechanics :< maybe that form could get tinkered with and improved

vm and I were talking about making a game with mechanics like this, but it was based on Magic: The Gathering Planeswalkers. They have loyalty counters they can use to pay for certain abilities and he thought he could use this mechanic for a game of Mafia. I really liked a few of the ideas/mechanics but it's very early discussion phase...

Back
Top Bottom