• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obama to cut summer vacation and lengthen school day

I start early-mid august and end mid-late may
I go at 7:30 and leave at 2:30
Id rather not extend the day but it wont kill me
NOT SUMMER!

This is an amazing thing. Thank you for this.

Obama's plan came up in my Civics class today. People thought that the plan is to make kids go to school on weekends, and they're opposed to it because of that. Everyone seemed to agree that year-round school would be a lot better, though.

No, I'm saying that the tests should be emphasized much less.

Hm, I'm not sure about anyplace other than my school, but in my school, quite a lot of students try to get good scores on the tests to boost our school up the list of good high schools, or at least beat our rival school. Quite a few teachers are the same way...

Dezzuu and Leafpool said:
Band sucks.

... Owch.

I'm suddenly very glad that I'm not in band.

A longer school day would (or should) mean less homework, however, so maybe it won't be that bad...

I would like shorter winter/spring/whatever breaks. I don't really like those week-long breaks because you can't really accomplish anything during those breaks. If the school year is to be extended, I want these breaks to be shortened before they start shortening summer break.

Okay, I'm sorry to butt in and things but what exactly is this mysterious 'band'? Are you forced into it when you don't have sports or is it just generally mandatory or what?
America is weird.

Okay, I'm sorry to butt in and things but what exactly is this mysterious 'band'? Are you forced into it when you don't have sports or is it just generally mandatory or what?
America is weird.

You aren't forced into band. It's just another after-school activity really, except you go around and play music instead of football.

I do agree with the America is weird part.

America is weird.

The School Band is a form of turning over all of your free time and possibly even your soul to the school. People do this voluntarily. You basically choose a brass, woodwind, or percussion instrument and dedicate your life to it; then you spend long hours outside of school marching around in the hot sun in hot, ugly uniforms, mastering a couple of songs for the sake of playing them at competitions that will make your school look a bit better if your band wins them. Only people only care about football and no one will notice if the band wins anything, so all your ass-busting goes largely unnoticed. You mainly exist for people to laugh at when they see you out marching in the rain.

The School Band is also responsible for providing entertainment at school sporting events, and sometimes even putting on concerts that only the band members' parents and maybe some soccer moms eager to help the school attend.

I was in band for all three years of middle school. My dad was like the Legendary Trumpet Master in his band or something and expected the same from me, so I picked the clarinet and decided to just go along with it. You haven't lived until you've marched around in 15-degree weather for two hours playing fucking 'sleigh ride' over and over at some christmas parade.

year-round school would suck, just because there's no light at the end of the tunnel

My college is year-round. I don't hate it. Slightly longer breaks would be nice, but I've come to realize that more short breaks is better than fewer long ones most of the time. Don't knock it until you try it.

...not necessarily saying that I definitely think Obama should do this, mind you. It's just not as horrible as some of you young whippersnappers seem to think it is.

I'm not really sure what to think here; not about how I feel about this, but about what is actually being proposed here. But here's my opinion on all things mentioned:

A longer school day would be absolute hell. My school day goes from 7:10 to 3:00, and that is far long enough. With the amount of homework that we receive in the classes that we're taking, extra hours of school would just about break myself and a lot of my friends; we have enough to deal with as it is.

The same thing goes for school on the weekends: the weekends are a chance for us to relax and relieve some of the week's stress. Two days often seems too short; one would hardly be a break at all.

I'm not sure what I think about year-round school, so I won't say anything there.

The School Band is a form of turning over all of your free time and possibly even your soul to the school. People do this voluntarily. You basically choose a brass, woodwind, or percussion instrument and dedicate your life to it; then you spend long hours outside of school marching around in the hot sun in hot, ugly uniforms, mastering a couple of songs for the sake of playing them at competitions that will make your school look a bit better if your band wins them. Only people only care about football and no one will notice if the band wins anything, so all your ass-busting goes largely unnoticed. You mainly exist for people to laugh at when they see you out marching in the rain.

The School Band is also responsible for providing entertainment at school sporting events, and sometimes even putting on concerts that only the band members' parents and maybe some soccer moms eager to help the school attend.

I was in band for all three years of middle school. My dad was like the Legendary Trumpet Master in his band or something and expected the same from me, so I picked the clarinet and decided to just go along with it. You haven't lived until you've marched around in 15-degree weather for two hours playing fucking 'sleigh ride' over and over at some christmas parade.

Basically. This is why I told my friends that every single person in the band was an idiot (including myself) - who would voluntarily go to thirteen-hour band camp and march around in 90-degree weather?

... because it's so damn fun. D: There isn't much in this world that I like more than band.

Last edited:
I live in Canada so I'd say I'm out of reach from this policy, but either way, if this got into my school and made the days longer I would lose it. we have 1.5 hour classes (4 per day, and we change up subjects halfway through the year) this is my first year of high school, and I'm still kinda used to 8 periods 45 minutes each so increasing the hour and a half would drive me nuts. No summer but generally more breaks sounds awesome though, Summer is only fun for about a month, then it's just dull.

Back
Top Bottom