• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Least favorite Pokémon generation?

Re: Least favorite Pokémon generation?

I disliked Generation IV as well. It didn't do anything. There was no innovations in Generation IV other than, "Hey, there is 100+ new Pokemon, a new region, and is fit for the most current system." which is the bare minimum of what one would want out of a new Pokemon generation. Just as Generation II was more like Generation I 1/2, Generation IV was more like Generation III 1/2.

So really, that means the Generation schema looks more like this:

->1st- Generation I (and Generation II)
->2nd- Generation III (and Generation IV)
->3rd- Generation V

How was Gen III different from Gen II then, besides the huge step forward in graphics?

And how was Gen V different from Gen IV?

God, I hated Silver. Mostly because It was the only game I didn't have the guide for. And I didn't like the starters much.

Garchomp was sent to Ubers, and the rest weren't that unbalanced. Maybe Azelf, but it was frail as shit and weak to Pursuit, so eh. Easily revenge-killable.
It should tell you there is something amiss when the 600-dragon is actually banned. Infernape and Heatran are both capable of wrecking teams and have endless variety, making them exceptionally difficult to counter. Azelf basically guaranteed rocks as it could destroy anything with a faster taunt.

The point was 4th gen ruined the almost perfect balance that was ADV. The disparity between the tiers was much more minimal and you could regularly win in OU with a UU team. The gap between OU and UU was heightened in 4th gen and BL vanished almost entirely. Stall teams became less useful because there are just too many fast and powerful Pokémon that can break through them.

Gen |||. I Hated the region, and a lot of the Pokemon.

third/fifth > second > first > fourth.

Despite my favorite Pokemon coming from the fourth gen I'm going to have to say it was my least favorite too. D/P/Pt have no replay value whatsoever for me. It's the only gen where I don't like any of the starters, and aside from Croagunk and some of the added evolutions most of the Pokemon are either boring or fugly.

Though the Poketch was a waste of the touch screen, the one thing I do miss from D/P/Pt is the counter app for EV training. I'd love to have something like that in the newer games, or at least some kind of little notepad (preferably one that doesn't wipe itself when you turn the game off).

HG/SS were decent games, despite the fact that I can't seem to complete SS without getting bored with my team and starting over. I like my current file pretty well but my progress on that is getting overshadowed by White version right now. Part of me doesn't like the copy+paste battle frontier, but then again the battle frontier was my only reason to keep playing Platinum and now that it's in a better game all is well. But I do like Emerald's frontier better.

I'm gonna say it: Genration 1. Now I don't hate it, and I'm certainly not dissing the classics. But seriously, the designs for Pokemon were pretty basic, and the Psychic type was broken as hell. And after beating the Elite 4 and Champ, there wasn't really anything else to do except catch Mewtwo and send your best Pokemon over to the Stadium games. And plus, Gary Oak, while most love him, was an obnoxious jerk in my opinion and my least favorite rival.

The thing you said.

I can't whether you're right or wrong here, because I have not played ADV myself (competitively I mean). As for the last point, I hate stall teams personally so I wouldn't see much problem, but in the end it just really is up to personal preferences, I guess.

Abilities, natures, and the sp.def/sp.atk split, unless I'm mistaken.

Double-post because I don't know how to multiquote.

/shame.

You're entirely right (god I'm so wrong these days) except for the last point - the sp def / sp atk split was from gen I to Gen II iirc.

I might be wrong, seeing how misinformed I am usually.

/shame.

You're entirely right (god I'm so wrong these days) except for the last point - the sp def / sp atk split was from gen I to Gen II iirc.

Multiquote is right next to quote :\

The reason the Gen II and Gen III games were incompatible was because of the Special split.

/shame.

internally, the base stats were split but they used the same gene.

You can multiquotw by double quoting...you know, quote the quote?

I can't whether you're right or wrong here, because I have not played ADV myself (competitively I mean). As for the last point, I hate stall teams personally so I wouldn't see much problem, but in the end it just really is up to personal preferences, I guess.

It's a pretty common opinion amongst the competitive community. 4th gen made a lot of people leave the scene, including myself, really. Having played all five metagames (to some degree or another), the first three gens are the most fun. 1st was by no means balanced, but the pacing is fast and it's just hilariously fun (especially when Explosion misses). A lot of people dislike the GSC metagame as it's far slower paced and Leftovers is the only item worth using, but I'd also say it's probably the most balanced. ADV managed to mix the two; a metagame where offensive teams and stall are both viable options, and you even had a choice besides Leftovers (Choice Band!) all without sacrificing too much balance.

I appreciate the efforts that 5th gen has made to expand the mess of 4th into a more interesting mess, but because there are so many possible strategies (and the forced 3-on-3 stadium style doesn't help), it's really hard to keep a consistent winning streak. GSC and ADV played more like chess.

I am reading that Gary and gen I pokemon disliking and am like D: for me it's...

Jumping on the IV bandwagon! Will explain more later in the week

Yeah, I'm gonna put in my vote for generation IV.

Don't get me wrong, now. I love it, still. I just like the pokémon of other regions a lot more, I think that they didn't really get that flashy with them. Also Sinnoh was annoying as crap and somewhat bland.

EDIT:
I appreciate the efforts that 5th gen has made to expand the mess of 4th into a more interesting mess, but because there are so many possible strategies (and the forced 3-on-3 stadium style doesn't help), it's really hard to keep a consistent winning streak. GSC and ADV played more like chess.
I thought having it so that one person DIDN'T win all the time was balance.

I don't like Gen II. There is a lot of Pokémon that are probably supposed to look cute but I usually don't like their appearance or the combination of the fact that they are supposed to be cute and what they really are. Why is Corsola pink and not dark red or something? And shouldn't its spikes prevent people from hugging it? Or Bellossom. The fact that a Pokémon whose flowers are probably small Rafflesias dances in beautiful meadows to bring sunny weather looks strange.
And I don't know where Claire got all that lava in such a geologically stable region. It really doesn't seem like the right generation for Slugma and Magcargo to start. That's why you first meet them in Kanto, I think. I like Magcargo, but I don't like the generation it comes from.

I also think generation 1 is the worst design-wise. There's just not enough... interesting Pokemon to me. I think all the other generations were pretty much all on par with each other and all had their share of awesome pokemon, with the occasional blargh (the most recent is Gothitelle).

Back
Top Bottom