• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Using A Thesaurus

yiran

Do you ever use any thesauri to check for words or do you only write words that naturally come to your mind?

I use them sometimes but only because my vocabulary is really bad, and sometimes I can't peg the right word for a certain scenario. In that case, I go onto a thesaurus and check for words that might fit my "scenario". If I can't find one I'll just scrap the sentence altogether and rephrase it. However, most of the time I like to use my own mind as a source since it flows more naturally.

Last edited:
Re: Using Thesaurus

It's unfortunate that dictionaries don't have a backwards search where you search for the word with the definition you put in.

I mean, whenever I use a thesaurus I never end up getting any words that fit any better than the original.

I use one if I know the word I'm thinking of but can't pull it up because brain fog. Otherwise, no.

Same as Viki: I tend to use a thesaurus when I'm thinking of a word but it's just not coming to me so I type in a similar one to see if it's suggested. Otherwise I tend to avoid thesauruses, as they tend to induce extraneous loquaciousness.

Ditto as surskitty and Tailsy.

If I do use one it's because I feel like I've used a word too much. Like in my fanfiction DC, in the first chapter. Powers dammit there are only so many ways to say cart.

Powers dammit there are only so many ways to say cart.

I hope you haven't had to go so far as to use 'pully-wheely-holdy-deally' yet!

But yeah what pretty much everyone else said
Unless I feel like beating the mental haze with a club
Which happens and doesn't always work

I use them sometimes when I'm writing essays and I realise I've used the same word about eight times in one paragraph. Otherwise, not really.

I use them when I'm revising; if there's a word that I'm trying to think of but I just can't find it, like what other people have said, I won't look it up then because I'll lose track of what I was writing. I just put a similar word in brackets, and then I know that I was looking for a better word. I suppose by then I'll probably have forgotten what word I was originally looking for, but I can always still find the best fit later.

Back
Top Bottom