• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress il NaNo di surskitty; a currently untitled KHR/Pokémon crossover fusion

surskitty

「にがいのは いやだ」って…
Pronoun
they
il NaNo di surskitty; a currently untitled KHR/Pokémon crossover fusion

Yeah. QUICK NOTES ON ORGANIZATION: each post contains a related segment; an extra line break designates a scene or PoV change; titles for segments are in [brackets].

Some introductory notes! I am using English names for the most part but unless something in Isshu, I'm treating it like it is ... Japan. Also I am definitely used to suffixes being used in KHR! translations so I am sticking with them. Relationships are more than a bit different, courtesy of Pokémon having everyone being best friends ever and also a lot of fiddly AU bits. Lots of fiddly AU. And Pokémon headcanon.

I also do not have most of this plotted out; I have some directions I know I need to go in eventually but if you have a suggestion or question for what's up with so and so, please do ask.

SOME POKÉMON TEAMS (mostly for my reference). Nickname suggestions or questions as to what's up with so-and-so who isn't listed here are definitely appreciated.
- Hibari Kyouya of Altomare: sandopan/sandslash f, perappu/chatot m (Hipera), kirikizan m, ratiasu/latias, ratiosu/latios
- Miura Haru of Celadon: kireihana/bellossom f (Hana-chan), sabonea/cacnea f (Sabocchan), doredia f (Dore-chan), manene/mime jr m (Manekkun), pacchiiru/spinda f (Pacchan)
- Yamamoto Takeshi of Pewter: daikenki m (Musashi), kyamome/wingull m (Kojirou), haaderia m (Jirou), kurobatto/crobat f, nyorozo/poliwhirl m
- Dokuro Chrome of Hearthome: mikaruge/spiritomb m (Rokudou Mukuro), fuwaraido/drifblim f, gengaa/gengar f, pururiru f, derubiru/houndour m (Ken/犬), jupetta/banette m (Chikusa/千種)
- Sasagawa Ryouhei of Saffron: ebiwaraa/hitmonchan m, garura/kangaskhan f (Garyuu), hariteyama/hariyama f, mimiroppu/lopunny m (Bunny), mainan/minun f
- Sasagawa Kyouko of Saffron: kapoeraa/hitmontop m (Lucky), chaaremu/medicham m, kinogassa/breloom f (Mica), nyorozo/poliwhirl f, purasuru/plusle m (Cherry)
- Gokudera Hayato of Saffron: rentoraa/luxray m (Uri), fuudin/alakazam m (Shamal), marumain/electrode (Ringo), oobemu (Enban/円盤), jibakoiru/magnezone (Budou/葡萄)
- Bianchi of Saffron: betobeton/muk m, gamageroge f ([gamagaru]), sereby/celebi (Reborn), rabukasu/luvdisc m, dorapion/drapion f, baibanira
- Spanner of ライモン: porigonz/porygon-Z (Crysis), goruugu (GUNDAM), rotomu/rotom
- Irie Shouichi of Lavender: porigon2/porygon2, neitio/xatu m (Mirai/未来)
- Superbi Squalo of Pacifidlog: samehadaa/sharpedo f (SAME), sutoraiku/scyther m (TORA), oodairu/feraligatr m (DAI), bakuongu/exploud f (BAKU), garagara/marowak f (GARAGARA)
- Lussuria: sawamuraa/hitmonlee m, kairikii/machamp m, kojondo m, dokkoraa m, ringuma/ursaring m
- Belphegor: burungeru m, nidokingu/nidoking, yadokingu/slowking f, koikingu/magikarp m,
- Dino: gyaroppu/rapidash m, zeburaika f, kingudora/kingdra m

INTENTIONALLY LEFT UNLISTED AS TRAINERS: Sawada Tsunayoshi of Viridian, Reborn of Azalea, Xanxus, Rokudou Mukuro of フキヨセ, Kurokawa Hana of Celadon

... Yes, those legendaries will be explained. As will the omissions. Eventually.

Post Index -- when I get around to it.

Last edited:
Re: il NaNo di surskitty; a currently untitled KHR/Pokémon crossover fusion

[currently untitled arc 1]

Be at the Ilex Shrine in one hour, the letter states, and who is she to ignore it? She doesn't -- quite -- recognize the handwriting, neat and elaborate as a clock face, but the signature is a finger-painted clam and it's been decades since she last saw it.

Reborn wants a favour. And, given the letter's mysterious appearance on her desk, he's likely willing to use some of his -- resources. (She hasn't needed extra time in a long while, but he's helped her in subtler ways when it suits him.) There's no reason not to go, at least; no one should know of their agreements and in the unlikely circumstance that it's faked, the only people it'll inconvenience are the culprits. He is not known for his patience for those who would damage his reputation and he is never late.

She goes.

"You're late," the small child says as he adjusts his fedora. It'd be amusing if she hadn't seen him defeat an irritated salamence with his left hand.

"I am exactly on time, you will find," she states calmly and waits. He looks at her levelly, then smiles.

"I would like you to pass off an -- anonymous tip, shall we say." He hops up onto her shoulder and explains. It's not glamorous, but she's sure he has his reasons and -- it's easy enough. Why not?

She hasn't heard anything notable about this 'Gokudera Hayato' anyway; Reborn tends to pick unknowns as the targets for his machinations and turn them into assets. Her current employer likely wouldn't mind, assuming he found out (and she has no intention of letting him find out; while Reborn's request is probably harmless, her -- agreement with him isn't).

According to legend, the wish pokémon jirachi awakens for about a week every thousand years. This is not entirely accurate; they typically average three wishes granted over a millenium, but if they were only awake for a week in a thousand years, there likely wouldn't be any legends about them.

People need to learn the legends somewhere.

Now, if one person wished for immortality, then they might tell others of the small metallic star pokémon and its ability to grant wishes, but that would be silly; if it grants wishes so rarely, why would one tell everyone of this chance for wishes? Three wishes can be written on its tags and it grants them when it awakens.

Three wishes.

One thousand years.

The odds of any one wish being fulfilled within the wisher's lifetime are astronomical. While the xatu may know when and where jirachi will awaken, they are not known for their outgoing natures. They are pokémon, after all, and one of the most important facets of the pokémon psyche is this: do no harm, which then means information is shared on a need-to-know basis, and usually no one needs to know. Certainly not most humans, and even the most trustworthy humans have difficulty with the idea of 'do no harm'. (Which is not to say that pokémon are rather better about it; they tend to underestimate the fragility of those who do not live by tooth and claw, and the pokémon of legend often fail to grasp the realities of truly living. Suicune's ability to purify water sources sounds wonderful if the fact that the food chain rests predominately on filter feeders is ignored. There are reasons the pokémon of legend rarely show themselves to others; their abilities can destroy entire ecosystems by accident.)

This assumes there is only one jirachi, which is very nearly true, but the difference between 'is very nearly' and 'is' can be like night and day.

It takes Hayato at least an hour after he's arrived in Azalea (thank you, Shamal, for not being a complete deadbeat, he would say if he had less pride, or perhaps if the alakazam cared) before he realizes something important: while Saki-san had said that a jirachi would awaken somewhere near Azalea in the next week, she had not actually told him to do anything about it. He hasn't dealt with her before -- he usually avoids working with Team Rocket, though he must admit that their gadgets are awesome and he wants them all -- but he's heard that she makes her expectations very clear.

She did not say anything along the lines of catching it, or even what to wish for, assuming the legends about it being able to grant only three wishes were accurate and that it even had wishes left.

Now, he's fairly good at ignoring loopholes -- he doesn't really want to risk being blacklisted and there aren't that many people with both a pokémon that's good at controlled detonations and a pokémon that can ensure he can, you know, check to make sure it exploded while keeping him safe, particularly not in Kanto -- but ... it's a jirachi. It might not actually exist, but it's a jirachi and he has options and if she didn't want him to consider abusing loopholes, she shouldn't have left them in.

Decisions made, he checks that Shamal and Enban are out and about and settles in for the evening outside the Ilex Forest gatehouse.

He realises after a while that it might be a good idea to have his magnezone out, too.

The problem, when you get down to it, is that Azalea is a fundamentally boring town. Nothing interesting happens in Azalea. The pokéball maker -- Hayato can't be bothered to learn his name; apricorn balls are usually inefficient, Hayato does demolitions not pokémon captures, and the old geezer isn't known for his love of the ethically questionable -- lives there, to be sure, but he's the only person of note in the whole damn town. The local religion and mythos focus on slowpoke, and if that isn't an indicator that he's in bumfuck nowhere, Hayato can make like his name and fly.

It'd be a great place to send someone you don't particularly care for on a snipe hunt. And while he'd like to follow that train of thought, there are a few main problems with that. One, Saki-san had no real incentive to get him out of the way. While it didn't take a genius to figure out that he'd be with Team Rocket for exactly as long as it took to find someplace better (or until he had to actually face what it is most of them actually did, but he'd been with Silph for long enough to know that Team Rocket had enough legit branches to last indefinitely) he's good at what he does. Two, no one with half of a brain would try anything shady near Azalea. The pokéball maker is nasty.

Most importantly, it's the Ilex Forest. He doesn't expect most people to understand the significance of it -- kids these days have no respect for legends (and if there is any irony in this statement, Hayato wouldn't see it) -- but the home of the shrine to the fairy of time is important. Jirachi is not Celebi, of course, but the granter of wishes awakes for a week every thousand years. The guardian of the forest travels through -- and manipulates? -- time. He wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection. It would be logical.

Heh, logical. As if pokémon had any truck with human logic. Anyone who expected a pokémon to act like a person would be sorely disappointed, and the pokémon of legend were odd even by pokémon standards.

He doesn't notice the boy slinking out of the forest until the kid pauses at the checkpoint door.

"You're out late," Hayato says easily as he drops off the tree branch. He's taller than the boy by at least a head, though he thinks they might be close to the same age. There's something about the kid's physically implausible poofy light brown hair and his large vapid eyes that makes him look younger, though.

The kid looks up at him like a startled sentret, ready to run as soon as the coast is clear. Belated, Hayato realises he might look a bit intimidating: he's wearing incredibly awesome leather and jewelry and he thinks he looks fucking badass. He briefly feels bad about worrying the kid, but then decides he doesn't care.

"A-ah," the kid manages. "I wanted to talk to a -- friend. I'm going home." If he was any more obvious, he'd be wearing safety orange. Stupid kid probably thought Hayato'd want to waste his time beating up ... well, someone who'd probably fought their lunch and lost.

"Huh," is all Hayato says as he waits for the kid to leave so he can get back to waiting for the alakazam or magnezone to find something. (Where is Shamal, anyway? he wonders, knowing even as he thinks it that he's probably off getting drunk somewhere while hitting on everything female that moves.)

The kid starts to open the door, then pauses. Starts again. Turns to look at the magnezone in confusion. Sighs.

Hayato is just about to ask what's taking him so damn long when a small child -- a bit older than a toddler, but not significantly -- in a suit and a fedora walks in, hands the kid a chrysalis on a stick, and smirks as the kid bolts. "Ciaossu, Gokudera," the small child says suavely.

What the fuck, Hayato thinks, but for once he doesn't actually say it. "Come again?"

The kid jump kicks him in the face. "Ciaossu, Gokudera. I am Reborn."

"That's fucking wonderful, but I'm a bit busy right now," he snaps. And promptly regrets saying that as the kid -- Reborn -- kicks him in the face again.

"No backtalk. You are one of Saki's, correct?" Well, Hayato wouldn't say that, but he thinks if he said as much the kid would kick him again and that hurts, so he just nods. "I would like you to challenge my student."

"... Huh." It's not what he came here for, but he has a feeling that it's relevant. To something, at least. (Reborn probably learned his name from Saki-san -- why else would he bring her up? Don't answer that. -- in which case it was at least a possibility that he'd know of what she told Hayato.) "Who's your student?"

"Sawada Tsunayoshi," Reborn pronounces distinctly, "who is almost entirely useless and looks as though he lost a fight to a hair dryer. You just met him."

Bad luck, or possibly Reborn's just an asshole, and while he's heard of 'never attribute to malice what could be attributed to ignorance', he's rarely gone wrong in assuming people are assholes. That's okay, though; he can deal with assholes. "So, what do you want me to do?"

"Find him and battle him. Do what you want. I don't care."

"He just left," Hayato states, slightly baffled.

"That isn't my problem."

It takes Hayato a depressingly long length of time to wonder why someone who looks about three would refer to someone in their early teens -- fairly eloquently, he might add -- as his student.

He then feels incredibly stupid when he realises that wait: legendary pokémon can probably disguise themselves. Most of them supposedly sleep most of the time, but he knows for a fact that suicune, raikou, and entei wander Johto for a year or so every other decade, and given that they haven't been caught (as far as he knows, anyway; he is very nearly right) they are either amazingly skilled at evasion or moderately competent at disguise. More to the point, jirachi is probably one of the more humanoid ones; he doesn't trust the sketch Saki-san gave him but it's a baseline, even if it's likely inaccurate. While suicune, raikou, and entei probably couldn't disguise themselves as humans (he'd assume they'd pretend to be growlithe or houndoom, though that may be difficult for suicune and raikou. On the other hand, humans can't usually sense a pokémon's elemental affinity, and pokémon rarely betray pokémon to humans), jirachi ... might be able to manage it.

Shamal is right; he really is an idiot. The kid said he was meeting a friend. In Ilex Forest! Who lived in Ilex Forest, anyway? No one, as far as he knows. No one human, anyway. Now, celebi ... celebi would make some sense, except for why a celebi might know Saki-san. (It also made a lot more sense that a fucking time fairy would kick him in the face rather than a tiny kid. Not to mention it was less embarrassing.) He decides to ask about it if he ever sees the asshole again, but he figures he probably won't.

Somewhere, Reborn and Shamal are sharing a drink and congratulating themselves on a job well fucked up. At least the dumbass probably would never realise that it's their faults that he made the right mental leaps within the next month much less the same day.

Once he figures out what he should do, finding the Sawada brat is absurdly easy: he takes out the luxray's pokéball, presses the button, and tells him to hunt down the kid that'd been right -- there earlier.

"Toraa?" Uri says, swishing his tail back and forth while looking at Hayato like he's an idiot.

He doesn't know who you're talking about, Shamal says, mental 'voice' slurred slightly. The alakazam is sitting safely in a tree, though his feet dangle down right where Hayato wants to grab one and tug. He doesn't, though.

Instead he frowns at Uri, and then at Shamal, and says slowly, "There was a kid here earlier. Enban should have seen him, as did Budou. Find him."

The luxray turns to the alien and UFO duo and whines softly. They blink slowly in response, sort of like a nod, and Uri tries zapping Hayato lightly like a jerk.

They say you're a dumbass, Hayato. That wasn't a kid, the alakazam translates deliberately.

"Then what the fuck was it?"

"WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T ANY OF YOU SAY ANYTHING!?!"

Reborn sips his espresso with glee and decides that next time he sees Shamal, he's paying for the booze.

Tsuna looks at the cat pokémon with a strange expression on his face. Not quite fear, exactly, and certainly not confidence; more like the knowledge that whatever happens, he'll've done his best. Very reassuring, except that he's sure that whatever his best is, it's not going to be good enough, and he is very nearly right.

"Have you, um. Have you considered reconsidering?" he says eloquently. Great job, No Good Tsuna, he thinks, that will definitely impress Mr Scary Punk Guy.

The guy -- Gokudera Hayato, he supposes; he might as well actually try to remember the name of the scary guy with a scary cat ('The foe's LUXRAY's Intimidate halved its attack!' he almost wants to blurt out; he's been playing too many video games lately) -- looks at him like he's wearing a pineapple hat on his head. "What?" Apparently this guy seems to have subscribed to the Sawada Tsunayoshi Magazine of Eloquence; he should charge fees.

"I'm. Um. Really not interesting!" he says quickly. "It's true! There is absolutely nothing of interest about me! Move along!"

"... My magnezone trapped you," he states flatly. This is in fact a great deduction and for a moment Tsuna has to wonder if he came up with that himself.

"I stepped in glue," he says instead.

The jerkity jerkface smirks slightly. "My luxray said, and I quote the goddamn alakazam, that you smell of 'rust and bent dreams'."

"It's cheap bodywash." This sounds stupid even to Tsuna but he really can't think of anything better right now pressure is bad pressure is bad.

"And like you would be delicious to crunch on."

"Your luxray is a psychopath."

From the looks of it, Gokudera has to admit this is true. Still, he charges on: "Your tutor is apparently a three-year old."

"That's a lie! Reborn sometimes wears diapers." ... ... ... congratulations, Tsuna. Oddly, Gokudera looks thrown by this information. ... Tsuna is never going to feel proud of himself again.

Eventually, his amazing abilities at stalling run out and the guy finally gets around to ordering, "Uri! Fire Fang!" and it's at that point that Tsuna really starts to hate his life. His very first pokémon battle! A crazy man with a giant lion thing with teeth! Teeth that are on FIRE. He is clearly about to be eaten by a freaking cat thing from Sinnoh. Not even one of the civilized regions! Sinnoh. And, to top it all off, someone named it 'melon'? Really? Sob.

Somewhere in his tiny idiot brain, something approaching battling instincts fights past the self-pity and into the fray. That's the only explanation he has for punching a luxray in the nose, anyway. It's a viable strategy! -- Only from the luxray's expression, it'd been punched in the face harder by its lunch before. Which isn't to say that half of his mind wasn't screaming it's going to eat me it's going to eat me it's going to eat me (and if he runs into Lambo again he is never going to mock him when he baas loudly at the sight of dangerous predators, like pidgey). For all he knew, he totally was lunch. But anyway. Back to vain attempts at punching. The whole problem with the 'punching lions' concept was that ... it's Tsuna's first pokémon battle. Certainly the first where he was the one trying to run away and sucking at it. From the luxray's battle scars, it had been in battle. A lot. Tsuna? NOT SO MUCH.

So he punches it in the eye instead and feels very proud of himself for the whole second before the luxray decides really, enough is enough. Stupid tiny pokémon should eat electrical discharge.

For reasons involving a lot more science than Tsuna understands, steel types are not resistant to electric. It's a character flaw. (Or possibly it's for similar reasons that one does not put forks in electrical sockets. Given that Tsuna has had difficulty with the concept of 'forks do not belong in electrical sockets even if it makes awesome sounds and sparks a little', it is perhaps not a surprise that he doesn't know why electrical attacks work perfectly well against steels. It's a bit more of a surprise that he hasn't yet managed to fatally electrocute himself, however.)

On the plus side, it is difficult for him to stop being able to feel his legs. On the minus side, he instead feels slightly like his head was hollowed out and replaced with steel wool, or possibly Lambo, or maybe even blue cheese. He likes blue cheese. Blue cheese is awfully ... blue. And blue's a lovely colour, isn't it? Except on luxray. He feels very strongly about that for some reason. Blue is good, luxray is not so good.

... Gokudera, while entirely unaware of Tsuna's extraordinarily eloquent internal monologue, does notice that the kid -- now clearly a jirachi, thankfully; that fell apart as soon as it started shrinking away from Uri (and while he'd love to be able to mock him/it for being scared of a cat, Gokudera knows full well that Uri is a force of nature) -- staggers backwards, its head safely out of the luxray's mouth (pity; according to his calculations that should've been more effective than it was). It's still conscious, though, so he feels absolutely no qualms about taking an empty -- level should do -- level ball or three from his pocket and tossing it at the fairy.

The jirachi in question says something along the lines of "Raa?" or possibly "Aw, fuck," (he's not entirely clear on the distinction; the jirachi is probably making like a psychic and projecting, he figures) and pops into the ball.

Wiggle.

Wiggle.

Wiggle.

... BOOM.

As far as Tsuna is concerned, that explosion? Completely unplanned. He knows he thought -- well, a lot of things, really -- and then that he was in a ball and he did not want to be and then -- what? He can't think of anything he did that'd make something explode....

"Well done, Tsuna," Reborn says from a corner Tsuna is sure was unoccupied a few minutes ago. He's sitting on the shoulder of some alakazam that Tsuna's pretty sure he's never seen before in his life, but given how Reborn operates that means nothing. Reborn could be having coffee with that alakazam every Thursday for years and Tsuna could know nothing about it. Of course, Reborn could've met the alakazam just now and simply act like they'd known each other forever; people had a tendency to think of Reborn the way Reborn wanted them to think right then.

The alakazam in question nudges the unconscious luxray and the half-conscious kid with his foot, then raises an eyebrow at Tsuna. This yours?

... Oh. Whoops. Tsuna stares at the cat and trainer for a moment, then half-nods, focusing on undoing some of -- whatever he just did. Not in Reborn's sense of 'undoing' -- it'd still have happened -- but more ... making things a bit more like they were a few minutes earlier. Simple wishes. Simple Wishes, even.

"... What?" Gokudera mumbles, staring blearily at Tsuna and thinking for a moment that he really should've worn goggles today. ... Then he notices that his contacts aren't damaged or anything else that might be an immediate problem, they're just mysteriously absent. Much better, though he's going to need new ones... "... What," he says again as Tsuna, Reborn, and Shamal's presence registers itself in his brain.

Hayato, I feel that I should reiterate this: you're an idiot. The alakazam's crossing his arms and nudging Gokudera with his foot some more. It'd nearly count as kicking, if only it wasn't an alakazam doing it. As it was, Gokudera tries to ignore it for a few seconds, then grabs the alakazam's foot and bites it. Om nom nom Shamal's spoon in his eye. It's all Shamal's fault anyway for being a jerk.

"Reborn, what exactly just happened?" Tsuna asks, trying his best to ignore the impending fistfight between the alakazam and the crazy guy; this is easy given that Tsuna's biggest and most used skill is denial, and hard given that the two fighting idiots are loud, idiots, and fighting. There are also two of them.

The celebi waits for the alakazam to be clearly winning -- which takes slightly longer than he expects; apparently Tsuna's Wish (a very familiar one: 'I wish for half of that guy's health to be restored in six seconds!') took effect and Gokudera was able to shove Shamal in the shoulder, but at the end of the day Shamal is infinitely more competent than his idiot protégé -- before kicking Gokudera in the face and reclaiming his perch on Shamal's shoulder. "Wait, useless Tsuna. Gokudera Hayato, you are an idiot."

Gokudera stands up slowly. "Okay, why the fuck am I an idiot?"

Because throwing pokéballs at pokémon that can blow them up is a bad idea. Shamal sighs, shaking his head in Tsuna's general direction. Particularly if it's not actually that weakened.

"I didn't know it was going to explode!" Tsuna bursts out. "I just --"

Reborn grins, not entirely kindly. "It is good that I now know you can use Doom Desire. I was concerned; you had seemed entirely incompetent. Gokudera, I would like your assistance in training Tsuna."

"Um," said the two involved.

You going to look after Hayato, too? Shamal says easily. Have fun.

"Um."

"That's settled, then."

"What."

[arc 2 placeholder]

[interlude 1, currently untitled]

Tsuna would like to be surprised when someone rises out of the seas on a giant flying shark.

He would like to.

It would be great if he was surprised.

Unfortunately, he is not. He is even less surprised when Yamamoto takes one look at the crazy man riding a sharpedo (WOULDN'T THAT HURT?!) and yells, "Haha, hi, Squalo!"

"SWORD BRAT!!" the man screeches, with the sharpedo throwing in an enthusiastic "HADAAAAAAAA!" which he interpreted to mean: 'GOOD MORNING, LUNCH!!'

(Tsuna thought it was very nearly possible that SAME was even more obnoxious than her trainer. At least Squalo didn't usually consider biting to be an acceptable greeting. He also didn't usually keep yelling in his sleep. Tsuna didn't care if Yamamoto bribed him with the world's greatest poffin; he was never going to a sleepover party with Squalo again.)

Tsuna looks at Squalo. Tsuna looks at SAME. Tsuna looks at Yamamoto. ... Tsuna takes a strategic step backwards.

Yamamoto, of course, does not take the hint. "Haha, Squalo, want to battle~?" he says easily, drawing his sword and a pokéball in one easy motion. Squalo, unsurprisingly, does the same (he's pretty sure SAME just swore profusely about being passed over in favour of the scyther again, but Tsuna's never claimed to be fluent in pissed off shark.)

He's 99% sure that usually, when people say they want to battle, they just mean pokémon. Unfortunately, he's also pretty sure neither of them got the memo, so he carefully sidles out of the blast area to watch as the two idiots duel while TORA and Kojiro eye each other warily. The scyther has a significant -- everything advantage, but the wingull wants to win. It's not going to be even by any means, but -- it could be interesting.

The mantis doesn't even bother lifting off the ground; he waits for a moment to see if the gull plans on attacking first before surreptitiously turning his head to watch their sparring match with one eye and the wingull with the other.

"STOP STARING AT THE DAMN THING AND KILL IT," Squalo finds time to yell in between parrying Yamamoto's blows and trying to hit him over the head with his hilt.

The scyther considers this. On one -- scythe, TORA liked feeling appreciated and Squalo always bought him plenty of steak whenever he won. On the other, his opponent is a stupid bird. A tiny stupid bird. It shouldn't even count properly as a snack. "Fuck this," he says eloquently as he turns to watch his trainer and his trainer's pet idiot monkey (if Yamamoto knew the scyther thought he was a pet monkey, he would -- actually, he wouldn't care. But Tsuna would feel bad knowing that TORA thought he was an idiot monkey. Monkeys have more common sense than that).

Unfortunately, he had not considered his opponent. The small gull waits patiently for TORA to acknowledge his existence, then less patiently. After about thirty seconds of being completely ignored, Kojiro squawks a short 'kyeh' before screeching as loudly and as high pitched as he could manage. The faint ringing tone echoes over the beach (particularly at Tsuna's head, not that he notices; he's accustomed to a faint safeguard at all times) and while the two humans don't notice it, the scyther definitely does.

"What the fuck," he states more than yells, words slightly slurred (not that it matters; SUTORRAI means the same as SUTRRAI to those who listen, and those who don't wouldn't understand TORA anyway) as he tries vibrating his wings to at least distort the sound to stop hurting it rings it rings it rings and it won't shut up.

This works wonderfully, except that Kojiro -- not being satisfied for a mild headache in exchange for being completely shunned -- changes pitch slightly and, more importantly, vibrating wings means flapping wings and flapping wings mean moving. And he is too distracted to notice that his feet aren't -- quite -- touching the ground and as he moves to stab the damn bird he realises -- oh

-- Kojiro did not wait for him to try eviscerating gulls.

Kojiro moved.

TORA still stabbed something.

The bird pauses in his screeching for long enough for what TORA just did to reach his brain: that's his scythe, and that's the bird, and his scythe is in something, but it is not in the bird. His head would hurt less if it was the bird. His pride would hurt less if it was the bird; he thinks he hears it cackling at him.

What is he stabbing?

Tsuna feels rather proud of himself for not completely fleeing as soon as it looked like the battle was not going in the scyther's favour, even if TORA was a complete jerk who would probably have no qualms about bullying a skittish little -- boy. (He's pretty sure the scyther hasn't realised his status as a fellow pokémon, and if he hadn't, Tsuna wasn't going to be the one to tell him.) Still, he considers bolting as soon as he sees the scyther stab SAME. There is no way that could end well, he thinks, and he is very nearly right.

"WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT FOR," she roars, and even if Squalo and Yamamoto are a bit busy trying to fight each other (possibly to the death) there is only so much one can do to ignore an incredibly loud and pissed off shark. Particularly a shark with a mouthful of confused scyther arm (it was the scyther who was confused, not the arm) when a wingull is laughing hysterically. That fell firmly in the realms of completely fucking obvious, along with Squalo (and his pokémon's) multiple psychoses and Yamamoto's raging hero-worship/crush on a psychopath.

(Tsuna prides himself on his ability to recognize psychopaths. He's been making a list of people he's met since his life started sucking more than usual who aren't possibly going to cause the end of the world whether by accident or on purpose. So far, he had one person on it: himself. And even that was questionable on bad days.)

Squalo, likely because he hadn't actually understood a word the sharpedo was saying, seems to feel obligated to top it: "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING, YOU DUMBASS!?! KILL THE FUCKING BIRD, NOT THE FUCKING SHARK, YOU FUCKING IDIOT!"

After a moment, TORA recognizes what he did wrong (attacking the wrong water type; they were probably all fish anyway so it's not like there was that much of a difference, right?! And it was loud! Loud like BAKU on a bad day, not loud like his trainer or like SAME, who were the good kind of loud: even if they burst your eardrums, it's just from sheer force of volume. Besides, he was the favourite so even if he accidentally stabbed the jerk shark Squalo would love him best. It would mean he was an EVEN BETTER fighter than SAME, and Squalo loved SAME like he loved meat. Even better than he loved meat; Squalo only fought meat on Thursdays.)

Unfortunately, while he would really like to stop stabbing the shark (while he likes the idea of stabbing SAME, he has something against leaving his arm in her mouth), the world keeps moving a little and -- SAME won't shut up. Which means she is biting. Which means --

-- Kojiro lands on the scyther's head and chirps a victory theme. Yamamoto looks on for a moment -- probably thinking that was slightly uncalled for -- then says, "Haah, Squalo, why not just call it back?"

Because then Squalo couldn't try to beat his idiot sharpedo and idiot scyther over the head with a sword and a tuna (where did he get the tuna?), that's why.

[interlude 2; picking up the pieces and putting them back together, rearranged]

Hayato has no idea how the stupid baseball idiot (he also doesn't see any problems calling someone a stupid idiot; he's not exactly the most observant person ever) talked him into travelling with him. No idea at all. All he remembers is that the baseball dumbass asked him if he'd want to hang out with the Tenth (of course he did! what kind of moron did the dumbass take him for?!) and --

Somehow he's back near Celadon with the baseball idiot and while Tsuna is probably around somewhere, he hasn't seen him for at least an hour and he's starting to get worried but Reborn said it was okay and --

Breathe.

"Haha, hi, sempai, Kyoko-chan!" the idiot yells as he looks over the hill and waves. Hayato considers finding a way to blow up the baseball idiot and the boxing idiot, but dismisses it as probably upsetting the girl that the Tenth sort of likes and there's no way he could easily hide it from her. (He carefully does not think of the fact that she's almost certainly a lot better at self-defence than he is; he probably wouldn't be able to get her out of the way when Ringo exploded and she wouldn't exactly move out of the way herself.)

From the sound of the baseball idiot's grunt, Lawnhead just tackle-hugged him and possibly nearly broke a rib or three, but Hayato does not care at all. You could ask him and he'd say it's true. And then you would know.

"WE SHOULD HAVE AN EXTREME BATTLE!" Lawnhead yells, sounding slightly like he wants to get into a screaming contest with an exploud. (Hayato has see this once, to his misfortune; he is never going to let the baseball idiot drag him along for his weekly spar with Squalo.)

"That sounds fun, haha!" "Good idea, onii-san!"

And then all three of them are looking at Hayato. Like he clearly wants to participate in their stupid double battle. It's a stupid idea and they're stupid for thinking he's going to and now the stupid baseball idiot is looking like a sad poochyena in the rain and -- goddammit. "No," he states.

The baseball idiot scratches his head. "It's not a proper double battle if it's just me against sempai and Kyoko-chan, Gokudera. Please?"

Hayato is unphased like a lunatone. "No," he states, rather more emphatically.

"It's okay, Hayato-kun. We'll just do a -- what were they called again, Takeshi?" the Sasagawa girl says.

"Rotation battles! I saw them in Isshu. They're pretty interesting, haha!"

"No," Hayato growls.

From his pokéball, Shamal contributes a terse, You're an idiot, Hayato.

From Hayato's expression as he realises as he just sort of agreed to participating? He really, really is.

In retrospect, entering into a pokémon battle with the Sasagawa siblings was an incredibly bad idea, and not just because he's on the same side as the baseball idiot. Actually, the baseball idiot demonstrated a rather surprising level of competence given his typical stupidity. His crobat had no difficulties distracting the siblings' cheerleading rats, and Musashi was remarkably skilled at tanking, even if he did shell blade the girl's poliwhirl and Hayato was never going to assume the idiot had any skill in battling whatsoever again. (That Hayato's magnezone and electrode scarcely did better is never going to be mentioned ever on pain of dynamite in uncomfortable places.)

No, the real problem was that the Sasagawa siblings battled with each other frequently. They had teamwork. They had synergy. They even had what could probably pass for strategy in the boxing idiot's empty head (did the girl work out that thing with the lopunny? She'd've had to, wouldn't she?).

Hayato and the baseball idiot did not.

Hayato and the baseball idiot were both entirely competent trainers in their own rights (yes, he could admit the idiot had some skill even if he was dumber than the vast majority of rocks what the hell is wrong with him) but ... Hayato does not play well with others.

Hayato definitely does not believe in training in teamwork.

Hayato thinks everyone should be perfectly competent and self-sufficient.

And that is how a girl who'd only started battling within the past year and only because her brother wanted her to travel along with him used Hayato as a mop.

And none of this will be spoken of again.

[interlude 3; six steps to the edge of tomorrow]

Tsuna has a bone-deep feeling that quite possibly it is not the greatest plan he has ever had to visit Goldenrod. On one hand, it's right near Reborn's home town so it can't be that dangerous, right? Reborn wouldn't approve of visiting anywhere with enough of a criminal presence to make it downright dangerous, right?

Damn right he would, and Tsuna knows it. Still, Gokudera thought it was a good idea! And so did Yamamoto! And they wouldn't intentionally bring him to someplace he really shouldn't be! -- but they also trust Reborn, and they don't seem to understand that Reborn is a sterling example of moral depravity in the form of a tiny green time fairy and he is NOT TO BE TRUSTED EVER. Bianchi likes him! That is not a good sign!

But no, Tsuna's vote to stay in the magical happy land of ... of ... of Oldale Town (never mind that he's not sure he's ever even been to Oldale, but he's heard it is nice and quiet with hardly any mafia at all) was overruled by Reborn, and Gokudera and Yamamoto were the worst assistants ever and followed Reborn's lead.

Thankfully, Gokudera doesn't drag him off to the Radio Tower: Tsuna claims the radio waves give him a bit of a headache, and that might even be true. It's definitely true that they echo off his head and if he could stay well away from radio towers then he definitely would.

Unfortunately, Gokudera then absolutely had to see the Game Corner.

It's a Game Corner! If Gokudera wanted to play slots, he could go back to Celadon! (And hopefully go without him; he is definitely sure that Celadon is a wretched hive of scum and villainy and also mafia. Mafia is bad. Tsuna does not like mafia. There's mafia in mafia.)

With his mind filled with all of the horrible ways this could end that he can think of (and that doesn't even include the ways he doesn't know about, like, say, the radio tower suddenly broadcasting Pokémon March on every channel, or Apollo deciding it would be a good idea to introduce Goldrenrod to that one concept known as 'martial law'), he steps into the Game Corner, looking for Gokudera.

The Game Corner is not a brightly lit building filled with slot machines and noise and people and all sorts of related things that Tsuna does not like in one place.

The Game Corner is a small room with a creepy man sitting at a table with Gokudera and that alakazam that Gokudera travels with.

Card games are involved.

"What the --" Tsuna says intelligently.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK, Shamal says urgently.

"I'm only going to play two more rounds!" Gokudera says defensively.

"...," the creepy old man says conclusively.

Team Rocket's most insidious plan ever created was not making the most powerful pokémon in existence. It was not mining Mount Moon. (In fact, their exploits in Mount Moon may have been the closest thing they have ever done to a public service; it set back the impending invasion of the Clefairy Empire by at least seven years. But that is a story for another time.) It certainly wasn't chopping off delicious slowpoke tails and selling them on the black market.

No.

Their most insidious plan ever created and enacted was replacing the Game Corner's slot machines with Voltorb Flip.

Apollo and Athena will burn forever in the fires of a thousand houndoom for their sins. They will also be knighted. Both of these fates are good and proper.

Tsuna doesn't know what Shamal thought he thought was going on, but he decided he didn't want to and supposedly promptly forgot that there was something Shamal was concerned about. This is for the best.

It is a lesser known fact that the alakazam Shamal and his Gokudera Hayato are banned from entering most towns and cities in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and West Isshu. While evidence has a tendency to disappear in short notice, rumour has it that the boy functions as a distraction while the alakazam finds all female pokémon who might possibly fall prey to a red string and an Attract and, shall we say, is later found with eggs and wallets. This is not entirely true. Gokudera would do his best to eliminate anyone who believes that he would ever serve as an accomplice to his -- questionable companion, and the idea that Shamal would ever deign to steal on Gokudera's behalf is simply laughable.

Trident Shamal works for no man.

He does, however, have a tendency to fall for everything that moves, and Gokudera is as always a convenient scapegoat.

[arc 3, part 1; reflection, refraction]

Nagi does not trust the spirits possessing the rock she found left behind by her classmates. They were all friends, she thinks.

The spirits are not friends and she does not think they ever will be, but -- there is one louder than the rest. The others bicker at the edge of her hearing, not quite hearing, but the loud one waits and says one soft word and they fall silent. It introduces itself as Mukuro.

Good girls don't talk to ghosts, good girls don't listen to spirits, good girls don't give their names to corpses. She is in some ways a very good girl, even if she thinks her parents wouldn't agree. She can wait.

It will wait for her.

He will wait for her.

Mukuro will wait for her.

And when it is time, he will give her a name, if she will not give him hers.

She keeps his stone in her bag always. She doesn't know if he approves, exactly; he speaks in sighs and whispers and never quite lies but he does not tell the truth. And that is how it should be, from what she understands; she is not experienced with the medium's arts but she looked for books, once he spoke, and she thinks she may know what he is. She does not think he would harm her, but the one hundred and eight spirits bound within his rock are not known for their love for humans. There are reasons they are bound, after all.

Still. Still.

The monster is hers, in some ways, and she thinks she could rely on him, if she were to leave on a journey. Her mother would not approve, of her journey or her choice in pokémon, but she does not expect her to. She is not the daughter her parents wanted.

And that may be fine.

But Nagi will stay at home.

She keeps up her life as Nagi for a remarkable length of time in her eyes: it is nearly a month with the rock before she decides it is best to leave.

"What is my name?" she says on a whim to the spiritomb. It sounds deep and mysterious to her ears, and for once she understands why people think she is -- odd.

His face stops spinning for a moment in thought. Your name, indeed.

"Yes." She waits.

... ... ... You are Chrome, he announces. Perhaps she is. クローム, a reflection built off his identity in replacement to her own, someone who might travel as she pleases. Someone defined by a person sufficiently disturbed to be bound in a keystone for five hundred years.

"Thank you."

The sages wouldn't approve. She hasn't met any in years, however, and cannot quite bring herself to care.

[arc 4, part 1; the whole is greater than the sum of the parts; moving clouds on the river's surface]

It takes weeks from the first sudden appearance of a litterer in the hospital before the lati twins find the one responsible. Bianca is worried, and so Latias is worried, but Latios seems more concerned about the possibility that the authorities might blame the fight on the lati twins. Even if their existence is mostly a secret, Latios makes a point of introducing himself to the head of the police department as a sort of warning: protect my city or face me in single combat. It's never been necessary so far, but he sees no need in ending it.

He need not have worried. Latias drops the half-eaten remains of a pitaya into a canal as a sort of test and whistles as a boy -- stalks, might be the word -- out of an alleyway, tonfa at the ready.

I found him, found him~! she says to Latios as she focuses on showing him the human boy. Unfortunately, she's focused enough on alerting Latios to the culprit that the boy barely misses hitting a wing -- he could sense where her wings are?! -- and she's too distracted to bolt.

She does anyway, dropping from Bianca's form to invisible and dashing as fast as she can. She doesn't know how to battle! -- and while relying on her brother's ability on his advice had seemed like a good idea, the boy (maybe Bianca's age? She's not sure; humans are weird) seems to know exactly where she is and possibly where she's going and he definitely doesn't seem inclined to let her go. Fortunately, her brother manages to land right between her and the boy.

Unfortunately, his disguise flickered just briefly enough for the boy to spot his nose and hit him with a tonfa. "You are in my way, herd dragon," he states, voice flat as a dunsparce.

You will not touch my sister, Latios states more as a matter of fact than a demand. His feathers glow with a strange sheen.

The boy does not seem to care. "The other herd dragon left trash in my canal."

Your canal? he says, disbelieving. Little human, we have cared for our city for longer than you have been alive.

"Altomare is mine," he growls, "and I do not tolerate herbivores fouling it."

The latios looks at him, then releases a light luster purge. To his dismay, the human does not even flinch, though he does glance at the two dragons speculatively.

"Hn. Are you herbivores?"

We eat fruit! Latias says quickly, eyes bright.

I do not think that is what the human meant, sister.

In the city of Altomare, there is a superstition: do not litter, lest the protectors of the city bring vengeance upon you and your family. While good advice, it is not strictly accurate; the lati twins do not particularly enjoy inflicting harm upon their citizenry. It tends to disturb the peace in some ways and Latias is well aware of Bianca's dislike of fighting. She doesn't completely understand it -- she doesn't particularly like fighting, but Latias knows her brother and their new friend do, so she doesn't mind it -- but she'll oblige the girl. Bianca is nice, so Bianca would want Latias to also be nice, yes?

-- but Kyouya thinks Latias should be strong. Latios also thinks Latias should be strong, but her brother would protect her if necessary, while Kyouya would just pummel her until she fought back. Latios does not quite approve of Kyouya, she thinks, but Kyouya likes to fight her brother and her and she thinks he might like to fight him.

So it is known to the citizens of Altomare that one does not litter. Hibari Kyouya does not allow it, and what Hibari Kyouya does not approve of has a tendency to not happen. That is the way it is, and that is how it should be.

No one should be or feel alone. This Latias knows to the depths of her soul -- how could she not? she is of the city but more to the point the lati twins are never alone and the idea is simply wrong, like water falling upwards -- but for some reason, Kyouya seems to be. She's never seen him complain about being lonely, but as far as she's concerned that's just because he'd have no reason to complain about something that's always been that way. And that's ... sad, really. If he's never not been lonely, of course he would fight off efforts to make him less lonely.

That just means she has to try harder. With that in mind, she perches on the edge of a roof, adopts pidgeot guise, and leaps. It's a long flight to -- to Ilex, she supposes, unless the celebi has adopted a new home, and while she's never met that celebi before, she knows that the twins before her knew that if they asked a favour of him, he would consider. And it is a little thing, really, to find a friend for a friend. She can find ten friends a day, if she looks, but Kyouya seems to have higher standards; that's fine, though, because with help she'll definitely find him a friend.

Latios wonders where his sister has gone, but assumes that she would tell him if there was a problem. She would, wouldn't she? It would be quite unlike her if she didn't ... but she has changed and he has changed and they all have changed, with their notice of that human boy. Kyouya would likely not let her go into danger alone if he knew -- while he has no interest in assuring her safety, he would not pass up the opportunity for a decent fight and if the fight was not close enough to fair he would intervene on her behalf: no sense wasting a competent sparring partner -- but that assumes he knew. Which is not always a safe assumption -- she is very good at rushing off on a whim -- but then again, Kyouya has a desire to know what happens in his territory that borders on obsessive. Which is not to say that Latios does not understand the finer details of defending one's territory, but he feels confident in the assertion that humans don't. Just as they do not understand so many other concepts that he grasps like he breathes.

He does not like humans, and he will continue to not like humans, but for now -- maybe Kyouya is more pokémon than human. What species, he cannot tell (the boy is sometimes wind and flame and the promise of rain, though he fights nearly mundanely; his elemental affinity is clear even as he stands still, simply breathing), but he understands him, understands and likes and wants to teach. Wants to show the joys of being part of someone's life so that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

It's luck, or possibly fate, that it's Tsuna who first notices the -- pidgeot. And while he can see no real reason for him to doubt that it is a pidgeot -- the illusions of a lati have few flaws, and lack of attention to detail is not one of them -- there is something that makes him spot her and note her and want to ... he's not quite sure what he wants to do. Run, possibly, though the skin on the back of his neck twinges at that thought: there is a creature of power in his territory. Which is quite frankly ridiculous; it is Reborn's territory, not his, and why would he be concerned about territory in the first place? He doesn't want, need, want any!

Still, there is something that makes his upper lip curl and his body tense and it reminds him of Gokudera, really, always bristling. And as he says, "Um, hello," there is very little part of him wants to do more than blast the bird out of the sky.

The pidgeot lands carefully in front of him, head down slightly in a posture of submission, and extends her wings behind her. Oh, hello, she seems to say, and what exactly is a pidgeot doing with a psychic voice? I did not want to worry you, but -- do you know a pokémon who goes by the name of Reborn? I would like to speak to him, and ask of him a favour.

[arc 3, part 2; currently untitled]

The Valley Windworks are haunted. It's common knowledge that a drifloon wanders the property on Fridays, but -- ghosts are not known for their wide ranges. More likely, something about Fridays convinces the drifloon to show themselves. Perhaps the spirit who attracted the drifloon died on a Friday. Perhaps the drifloon merely understands five day workweeks. She's not there to find out what it is about the place that attracts the spirits of departed balloons, though; Mukuro-sama had said that she would need a method of transportation and she agrees.

It's Wednesday, so she walks into the building to go to the front desk, keystone safely in her bag. "Excuse me," she mumbles.

"Yes?" she says without looking up from some paperwork.

She pauses to gather her thoughts (and ignore the spiritomb's muttered slights upon bureaucracies, sciences, and likely many other things; he seems to have strong opinions on many subjects that she ignores). "... Where does the drifloon appear?"

She looks up from a summary of power output to meet Chrome's eye. "Right outside by the front bench, but it's Wednesday; it won't be there until Friday."

Chrome nods slowly. "That's all right." Visible is not the same as present, and noticed is not the same as visible, and she has no pity for those who confuse the three. "Thank you," she says belatedly, and she leaves.

The bench is cheap plastic, which means that as far as useful surfaces for minor summonings go, it ranks fairly high: she can engrave a small circle on it with no one being the wiser. She'd have to worry about someone watching and possibly stopping her, of course, but Mukuro doesn't worry about little details like eyes or blind spots and she's fairly sure her hearing is good enough to catch anyone Mukuro-sama can't sense, even if her field of vision's significantly reduced.

The drifloon does not respond to a drop of blood.

Perplexed, Chrome turns to the rock and mutters, "Mukuro-sama?"

Give it more strength, he says blandly, so she clears her mind and focuses on convincing any spirit haunting the area to manifest. No result. There is a chronic lack of drifloon.

Maybe the researcher is right; maybe it really won't be there until Friday. But that doesn't add up with what she knows about spirits --

Mukuro does something she doesn't quite catch, but she has a faint image of her mind of what she thinks might have been his human form once -- a boy, a bit older than her, with dark blue hair in a messy and slightly ridiculous hairstyle, with a long trident and a smile that has seen the world burn -- smirking suggestively at ... something .. and doing what some might call a sashay.

This mental image is ridiculous and she tries to forget it immediately.

However, for whatever reason, Chrome does then see a drifloon.

The problem with Mukuro having lured out the drifloon with his masculine wiles (and probably a captivate attack) is that the drifloon is now lured by his masculine wiles. In particular, she has been trying very, very hard to lift up his -- rock whenever he is too tired to suggest that she let it wait until there isn't a human around. There wouldn't be a human around if she could just carry him off, after all!

For once in his life, Mukuro pities himself for his many charms and sheer inhuman attractiveness and manly manliness, even if he is stuck in a rock.

Haru comes across the slightly-odd girl in the Fallarbor Pokémon Center and immediately decides that she needs a friend. She seems all lonely in the corner with just a rock for company! So she walks over and announces, "Hi! I'm Miura Haru, from Celadon City!"

The girl hurriedly puts the stone back in her backpack, then looks at her quizzically. "... hello. I'm -- Chrome," she says, slightly hesitant. New trainer?

"It's nice to meet you, Chrome-chan!" She grins, as does Manekkun from his vantage point on her shoulder. The mime jr is so cute!

Chrome nods, clearly preoccupied. "Are you ... a pokémon trainer?"

"Yep! Are you?"

She glances back at her backpack, then smiles half-heartedly. "I ... am, yes. Would you like to battle?"

Haru's already grabbed the pokéball for her first choice -- she hasn't used her new spinda yet but she's so cute and Haru's going to make her her very own namahage costume so they can be namahage together~~ -- when the girl finally stops rummaging through her bag for a pokéball and just takes out a rock. It's a very interesting rock -- it's sort of wedge-shaped and it has a little face on it, how cute~ -- but it still looks like it's just a rock. ... It's a very big rock, though; how does Chrome-chan manage to lift and carry it? It looks like it might weigh significantly more than Chrome, though that doesn't look hard; Haru decides that Chrome-chan needs a sandwich. Maybe she can recruit Kyouko into Operation: FEED CHROME.... Kyouko likes cooking, and Haru just decided that she and Chrome will be best friends for as long as is convenient.

She looks at the rock, eyebrow furrowed slightly, then nods. "I'm ready," she says.

Haru smiles and presses the button. "Pacchan, go!" The small panda pops out of the ball with a splashing sound and does a little spinny dance ending with a bow to the rock, which she seems to recognize as a pokémon. Haru isn't quite sure how she can tell -- it's a rock and it doesn't look like anything other than a rock; maybe it's a foreign pokémon? If it is a pokémon.... "Who goes first?"

She looks at the rock, then says, "You may."

Haru grins. "Pacchan, teeter dance!" The spinda takes that as her cue to start her strange, wobbly dance. A step to the left, half-spin, wibble wobble and yet she never quite falls down -- and Haru starts to dance along. She can't quite hear the music, though she's heard that teeter dance's compulsion sticks a tune in one's head for anyone with any psychic sensitivity at all; part of why teeter dance is usually so devastating is that it creates an earworm that won't let go and resurfaces throughout the battle. Trainers of teeter dancers either need to be sensitive enough to have learned to block it out or completely resistant. It has something to do with type-affinities; Haru doesn't remember the details. What matters is that teeter dance is fun and she's heard that it's stronger the more people participate -- and if you're not around a lot of people who are either naturally good at resisting or trained to resist it, you can get a lot of participants -- and even if she doesn't get the full force of the compulsion, she can still do her part.

She remembers to pay attention to the actual battle after a moment, and thankfully Chrome hasn't ordered anything.

The rock sits there, completely oblivious to the spinda's efforts. Chrome, for her part, staggers briefly but otherwise ignores the teeter dance. Interesting.

"Mukuro-sama?" she says clearly, watching the rock. And after a moment, the rock -- flickers a pale green, though it still mostly looks like a normal rock. She has a distinct impression of intelligence, however.

Pacchan pauses briefly to glare at the stone, then wobbles a bit more furiously. ... until she's sent flying by a faint indigo blast in her face sent by the rock. Haru hears a faint kufufu but doesn't care; she's already bolted to pick up and hug the spinda. "Hahi--? What was that?"

Chrome looks at the rock with faint admiration and walks over to also pick up her pokémon and hug it. "Dark pulse," she says, preoccupied. "Mukuro-sama is very impressive."

Satisfied that the spinda is mostly okay (if irritated by teeter dance's failure and also the fact that a single attack sent her flying; what is up with that?), Haru nods hesitantly. "What kind of pokémon is -- it?" And what kind of person called their pet rock 'corpse', much less treated it respectfully?

The rock seems to be looking at her. "A -- spiritomb," she says, "a type of ghost from Sinnoh."

Huh. Sinnoh. Haru's not been to Sinnoh yet, though she's heard it's very ... different. Different enough for normal ghost trainers? "-- Would you like to travel with me?" she says, mostly on a whim.

The girl looks stunned and more than a bit confused as she looks down at her rock -- her spiritomb, Haru supposes, not just a rock -- then frowns. "I need to go -- someplace."

"I don't have plans," Haru says quickly. "Could I travel with you?" You look lonely, she wants to say.

"... yes."

Adventuring with Chrome, Haru discovers, is very odd. Oh, not because Chrome has weird habits or anything (if anything, it's Haru who's weird there), but because the girl is very quiet. It's not significantly different from traveling alone; in fact, sometimes she nearly thinks she is alone since Chrome-chan wanders off so frequently. Haru doesn't know where the girl goes, but she has little interest in asking; Chrome shrinks from most conversation she doesn't have a set response for and Haru worries a little whenever she sees her looking to her spiritomb for advice. Pokémon don't talk, or at least not usually, and the people who understand them tend to be a bit ... off.

Given that Haru's heard that ghost trainers are weird, if Chrome-chan isn't getting a double dose of weird, Haru doesn't know how she could handle either of them. At least Chrome is completely adorable; it's a pity she doesn't seem to like people that much, since Haru thinks she would make a great Pokémon Idol. Not the sort who do a lot of exhibitions, though Chrome-chan could probably manage that, but the ones who earn their fans through sheer force of cute. That drifblim? One of the most adorable pokémon ever, particularly when -- she? Haru thinks the drifblim's a she... -- works on carrying Chrome-chan and Haru around.

She nearly wishes that she'd been to Sinnoh just so she could have her very own balloon pokémon. Look at that face! It's so cute! -- and then Chrome-chan had explained some of the ... idiosyncrasies ... of the balloon pokémon. And of her Mukuro-sama, and the more Haru learns of the rock the more she wants to throw it/him in a pond somewhere and explain to Chrome that it's not good to befriend pokémon who like trying to kill people. Not that the drifblim has tried to hurt anyone, to her knowledge, or that the spiritomb's done anything to Chrome, but it's the principle of the matter. It's like trusting a shuppet; sooner or later it's going to want to see how to turn you into a good source of food, and no one's going to be particularly happy about that. (Except the shuppet, but the shuppet's thoughts don't matter.)

Now where was Chrome now?

Chrome's a bit glad that she got Haru off of her tail, however briefly. She's a very nice girl, Chrome will admit readily, but she's so weird. Why did she care? And Mukuro had said something damning about Haru being a busybody and likely a control freak, but Chrome wasn't sure if it was quite accurate (though she didn't doubt it enough to question it) and anyway the girl certainly seemed nice, so...

... she waited until the girl looked away, and then she left. Oh, she'll return to their campsite soon, but for now, Mukuro-sama has work for her to do. Somewhere around Mount Pyre should be two pokémon waiting for Mukuro-sama together. He didn't say what their species should be, but given that he's been locked in a rock for probably around five hundred years, Chrome can't blame him. Knowing that they had likely reincarnated -- she is rather sure that Mukuro was human in his previous life, and it was rare for a pokémon's loyalties to last beyond one life and few species lived long enough to wait five hundred years for someone who might never return -- didn't mean that he would know what they would reincarnate as, and she would not be surprised if he would omit the details if he did know as a test.

So it would be her, the drifblim (she assumes she has a name, but she doesn't know it and for now she has no intention of naming it herself), and Mukuro-sama working to find two pokémon who might not even be visible. And Mukuro-sama had indicated he wished to nap, so it was entirely possible that it would just be her and the drifblim. It is good that even if the drifblim must follow the winds, it can choose to follow the strange winds of spirit instead and so travel hundreds of miles in a day. She would -- and does -- slow it down, but even so; ghosts do not have to follow the rules of the physical world if they do not want to, and today neither the drifblim nor Mukuro wanted to.

When Chrome returns with a houndour and a shuppet and introduces them as Ken and Chikusa, respectively, Haru wants to punch something. Yes, Chrome-chan, go befriend two symbols of misfortune! she would like to say, This is a good idea!

What she actually says is this: "Huh. Why?"

And Chrome-chan's response is as simple as usual: "Mukuro-sama asked me to."

Haru is going to cry now. And then she is going to do her best to find some relevant books on cultural notes about spiritomb, because the one Chrome travels with is a terrible, terrible influence and if that one is at all normal she is going to wonder forever why Chrome thought it was a good idea to listen to it ever.

Hayato senses something odd about the girl -- the annoying woman's friend? They seem friendly, at least -- as soon as he meets her. He can't put his finger on it, quite, but he attributes that to ghost trainers always being a bit ... off. Still, there's something distinctly weird about her, even for a ghost trainer.

"Hey, you," he says, trying hard to sound non-confrontational and not particularly succeeding.

The eyepatch girl turns and looks at him blankly. "Yes?"

"What's in the bag?"

Somehow, she manages to look even more blank and slightly vapid. Creepy. "Nothing of interest," and if that silky tone didn't mean that was a complete lie then he would spend the weekend with the Sasagawas on a camping trip.

He crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow. "That so?"

"Indeed."

"You're lying."

She tilts her head slightly and smiles, not kindly. Her smile reminds him a bit of a gengar, actually. "Is that so, Gokudera Hayato?"

Definitely creepy. He is 99% sure he never introduced himself to her. And he's also pretty sure that the annoying girl doesn't know his last name, and the boxing dumbass and his sister might but don't ever use it, so it couldn't have been them, and the tenth is good at not sharing other people's personal information. "Who the fuck are you?"

"No one of consequence, Gokudera Hayato," and she walks away, backpack bouncing with her step.

He asks the tenth about her later, but he has no idea who he's talking about.

[interlude 4; currently untitled]

Kurokawa Hana does not believe in pokémon training. Well, she believes it exists -- she's not stupid! -- but the whole idea of adventuring out in the wilderness for months at a time, with only your pet giant fire breathing monsters to protect you? Not her cup of tea. If it was up to her, she'd have nothing to do with pokémon most of the time. They are large and capable of mass destruction and when they say things, people don't understand any of it.

Unfortunately, Kyoko loves her pokémon and her brother, and her weird friends love pokémon (though she's not quite sure about that one girl -- Chrome, was it?) and so Hana feels obligated to tolerate them, if only briefly.

Haru looks at her expectantly. "What do you think of my Hana-chan, Hana-chan?" she says, holding up the bellossom lovingly.

The pokémon Hana-chan waves in a manner Hana thinks many people would find cute. Unfortunately, she is well aware that the flower pokémon is capable of, say, leveling small buildings with flower petals for crying out loud, not to mention the rampant destruction all of Haru's pokémon can cause with a little dance. One teeter dance and no one within range of the telepathically-transmitted music can keep themselves from dropping everything to polka.

She shivers a little, but scratches behind the bellossom's left ear. "She's very cute, Haru-chan." Much cuter than that disgusting gloom Haru paraded about before she found a sun stone, at least.

... From the bellossom's baleful glare, she'd almost think it understood what she thought of it.

[arc 3, part 3; currently untitled]

You should change your hair, Mukuro says one day, mostly on a whim.

Chrome looks over at him -- his rock -- questioningly. Her hair's a lot shorter than it was when she first started traveling; Haru decided she needed to get a haircut and she acquiesced, mostly because she didn't care but also because it'd probably make the strange girl happy. Still, her haircut's not particularly distinctive and she doesn't mind if she changes it again, if it'd make someone else happy. "...?"

He describes something that looks -- rather a lot like she thinks his used to, actually, parted down the middle and straight and short and a bit poofy in the back. Like a ludicolo put together all wrong.

She doesn't want to define herself by him, or at least not entirely, but -- there are few, maybe none, who would know what it meant. It is anonymity, of a sort; the ghost is and she is and while the two are always and must stay distinct (she has heard stories, of what can happen when the living trust the dead, or the not quite dead, or the stubbornly should-be-dead, and they are never pleasant) there are ... allowances. And there is no strength as great in battle as the knowledge that your opponent believes something that is very nearly true.

She goes to the Lavender Pokémon Tower partly because Mukuro wants her to -- she tries not to wonder why; if she does not know, she cannot reveal anything to him and she can remain a useful pawn -- but mostly because it is useful practice. A ghost trainer must be able to sense ghosts themselves; those who cannot tend not to last long and while the spiritomb currently values her assistance, Mukuro seems the type to leave her to fend for herself if it is convenient. Spiritomb are not known for their goodwill, and Mukuro, at least, has shown no inclination to change this.

The building itself is remarkably huge; she has to consciously keep her expression blank as she looks it up and down, judging size, and again as she steps inside. The upper floors seem to be -- clouded, possibly, shrouded in the little distortions of space that the restless dead are so skilled at creating. What strikes her most about the first floor is not the sheer number of markers, or even the few people mourning their lost pokémon.

There is no shrine in a discreet corner to the dragon of boundaries, of forgotten places and the places between worlds. This is not Sinnoh, with its 'quaint' traditions of remembrance and respect to and for pokémon in general and the pokémon of legend in particular. This is Kanto, and Kanto's dark side spawned Team Rocket. Which is not to say that Sinnoh is without its issues, but --

She suddenly feels very alone.

In the back of her mind, she hears a faint Kufufu, terrible, is it not? and for a moment, she nearly agrees. But just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad and perhaps she will adjust. (Perhaps she doesn't entirely want to adjust, but if she decides she doesn't want to adjust she might as well return to Sinnoh and that is not on her immediate to-do list. If Mukuro asks, she will, but -- she doesn't think he wants to remain in Sinnoh, either.)

The people in the Tower are kind enough, she supposes, but there is an underlying sense of disturbance about the place. Not recent, or at least not recent enough for the echoes to reverberate across the building (and in a place with so many sensitive as Lavender, it actually could have been as recent as last week but the aftershocks have been dealt with enough to make dating it impossible) and she does not want to ask for more information. If Mukuro judges it necessary, he will tell her or tell her to ask, but otherwise she can wait.

She slowly climbs up the building, pausing briefly on each floor to judge the atmosphere. It is quiet, or nearly so; the faint susurration of the wrongly dead is barely audible over the silence of the satisfied ghosts. The ghost trainers waiting in the building glance in her direction, meet her eyes, and nod. They pay no attention to her beyond that; she wonders why for a moment and realises that they think she is like them. Perhaps she is, but she finds that unlikely; they stink of gastly and of dreams left behind. She senses something faintly earthy for a moment, but it passes.

On the fourth floor, she senses a patch Mukuro does not like: consecrated ground, more likely than not. The channeler keeping watch from the safety of her circle's eyes are less blank than most; perhaps many of them have lent their power to their ghost pokémon and lost something of themselves? It's possible.

She finds a corner outside of that channeler's line of sight, but only barely: she wants her to be able to do -- something, anything, really, if what she plans on trying goes wrong. Which is not to say she expects anything approaching failure; she lets Ken and Chikusa out to watch for and guard against -- well, not really guard, but at least make note of -- anything possibly dangerous, sets Mukuro down a few feet from her chosen spot (definitely out of where that channeler would be able to see; Chrome doubts that any respectable ghost trainer would trust a spiritomb as far as she could throw it, and the rock weighs at least 100 kg without Mukuro's help so throwing it is difficult), and sits. She isn't good at meditating, exactly, but she can clear her mind easily enough and simply -- think.

Most of the ghosts pass her by: while they can sense her type affinities -- that she could likely bring them into the physical world if she willed it -- they can also sense that she is otherwise claimed. Mukuro's influence reeks to those who can sense it, and no ghost who would try to bring her under its control would have the courage to ignore the warning. While they likely had never sensed a spiritomb before, a lust for vengeance leaves a mark and she smells like his territory.

One of the gastly does come to examine her, however, and a shy cubone trails behind. The gastly, she carefully ignores (she has seen them before and the surest way to convince one to leave was to ask it to stay; they are contrary creatures and while they are honest in thought and deed, they are tricksters, first and foremost, and masters of the unsaid word: their words are true to the letter and no further), but she takes out a few pieces of beef jerky and holds them out to the cubone.

"Nn... kara?" the cubone states, eyes wide. She doesn't understand it, not really, but she waits and eventually it scarfs them down and offers her its bone.

She accepts it, holds it up closer to her eye, admires the smoothened edges and the hint of a serrated blade on one end of the femur. Cubone claim their bones from their dead mothers, she's heard, but seeing one up close drives home an oft-ignored point: the cubone are dead, too. Have they always been dead or only recently? She'd like to know, possibly ask Mukuro and verify with -- verify with whom? -- if their forms are a token to the adaptability of pokémon or simply a biological footnote, never worth mentioning.

The gastly is in her hair, and she thinks she might keep it: it clearly likes her and there is no immediate sign that the gastly wishes her ill. It moved past Mukuro, after all.

[interlude 5; continuations of a long-held tradition]

It's Wednesday, as far as Reborn is considered, and that means it's time for their weekly card game. He looks over at the alakazam to see if he wants to come along -- he doesn't -- and then vanishes in a flash of light green.

There are two dragons and a stuffed animal of a third sitting at the table when he takes his seat on the corner. (He's rather shorter than his opponents, so they've arranged that he sits on the table instead.) One of the dragons (a large blue monster with giant horns and a gem on its chest) gestures towards the deck and says something along the lines of 'will you ever stop giving me more work to do?', but Reborn just smiles, picks up the deck, shuffles.

Six rounds later, the stuffed animal is firmly losing (as it is a stuffed animal, Reborn and the dialga look over at its cards and decide what it will do) and they've all resolved to collect more money from Giratina. It's her fault for being bad at card games, after all.

(It's their fault for banning her from the room, but that's what happens when you're a cheater and you always win in foot races. If by foot races you mean races to grow feet.)

As usual, Reborn is clearly winning, though that might have something to do with being the only member of the group with hands. He is also a cheater, but Palkia likes that he annoys Dialga and she has no reason to vote against him when the dialga suggests again that Reborn be barred from their games. Or that they play games that are easier without hands.

[arc 4 placeholder]

[arc 5, part 1; but sometimes it's the puzzle that's all wrong]

Hayato thinks of trying the local coffee shop ('White Sands' is the current name; he'd yell at his sister about it if he wasn't fairly sure she still had someone else technically owning the place) after checking three different candy shops and seeing no sign of the guy he's looking for. He hadn't met up with Spanner for weeks, but the engineer is a creature of habit first and foremost; there's very little reason for him to have changed his routine without incentive. But with Team Rocket's slight downturn ... it's possible he'd lost his job with Silph and he might have even moved. Unlikely, however, which is how he ends up sliding into the cheap (and crappy!) coffee shop and sitting down next to a pale engineer, who seemed more preoccupied with patting a sobbing -- Hayato can't tell what he probably does, but given that he's wearing a shirt for ABBRA, he's probably a nerd of some sort, unless Spanner somehow developed social skills (and even Hayato can tell that is never going to happen). Well. Anyway. Patting an upset kid on the back in a manner probably intended to be comforting. He didn't even know the asshole was able to care for people! Amazing.

Having seen a feat of nature he never would have expected, Hayato waits for Spanner to finish speaking ("It's okay, Shouichi. I like your time machine.") before tapping him on the shoulder and smiling brightly (or in a way he hoped was brightly; he actually resembled nothing so much as the friendly neighborhood carvanha) at Spanner's friend. "Spanner," he says as a greeting.

Spanner slowly turns to look over at him and says a short, "Hayato." (His idiot friend -- did he say Shouichi? -- meanwhile stares at Hayato like he is the most terrifying person he has ever seen. You know Spanner, kid, and you're scared of ME? he sort of wants to say, though he knows he's not good at appearing friendly (UNDERSTATEMENT.) and anyway he looks like he's having a bad day. No reason he can't make it worse. ... Or is that better?)

"I need to ask a favour."

"Trade? Shouichi here's funding's gone." Shouichi glares at Spanner briefly, before looking down to clean his glasses, put them back on, and return to glaring. (Glaring is much more intimidating when you can actually see the person you're glaring at. This is why Hayato makes sure he wears his contacts whenever he's not currently doing what he does best: making sure things blow up.)

He glances around the room briefly -- no one who'd care, good, nor anyone who'd realise that Hayato'd been mysteriously absent for months (though from what he'd heard from Reborn, Saki-san might've taken care of that...) -- and hands Spanner a small notepad. "I need the specs for anything Robotics has churned out recently. What's your friend do?"

"Spanner, you're not --" what, writing out the details on each of the giant robots he's worked on since last time Hayato asked for an update? "Why am I asking, of course you are. Who the hell are you?"

Hayato rolls his eyes and lets Spanner take care of it: "Shouichi, this is Gokudera Hayato. He used to help me with ballistics for my mosca. Hayato, this is Irie Shouichi; he does interesting work with parallel worlds and alternate timelines. Make friends."

"Team Rocket's no longer interested in time travel; last I heard the fuckhead who got that pokéball maker to even help with that Ilex project -- er. Fuck." He tries not to look guilty and mostly succeeds; Reborn asked for his help for where and when to leave him to get Team Rocket out of Azalea. He's not sure if his suggestion was the best one he could think of -- Reborn liked and used the suggestion of upside-down, in a tree, without pants, surrounded by incriminating photos and a sign saying 'FREE ROCKET GRUNT FOR A LOVING FAMILY', on top of the Lake of Rage base (the really interesting bit is how the incriminating photos got there) -- but it was certainly ... effective. "Galactic's been up to something weird; if you're up for moving to Sinnoh and you think you're badass enough to kick one of those losers off Pluto's team, you could try that... and Cipher's always interested in getting celebi, though if they think they're going to get anywhere with that they're even fucking dumber than I thought."

Spanner nods, considering, while Shouichi watches Hayato blankly, then frowns as he realises he's not joking. "You can't be serious. I do legitimate work!"

"For Silph?" he scoffs. "Silph hasn't changed that much since I left, has it?"

"Your father's still on the board of directors," Spanner says, shaking his head. "Less overt than it was a year ago, but -- still corrupt." He sighs.

"It's a fucking paycheck, eh?" Spanner looks at him, sniffs and pours out his (how sad! ... It chews away at the table.) cheap tea and nods. "Look, ki-- Shouichi --"

"Irie. I don't know you," he snaps.

"-- Fine, asshole, 'Spanner's friend'. Silph's been a front for Team Rocket for years. Well, not all of it," he amends, "I heard the president's got some pet project or another and I'm pretty sure as far as he's concerned, Silph Co is completely above the table. But -- you didn't hear this from me, right?"

The woman at the register looks over at the group, smiles, and goes to lock up, her pet [gamagaru] following behind. "You're still clear, Hayato," she says as she starts making some muffins.

He doesn't acknowledge her. "If Team Rocket needs something done, they look to Cinnabar and Saffron first. Most of their fucking big projects are in Celadon, but -- Silph, those 'abandoned' labs in Cinnabar, and whenever they have a convenient front, that fucker Masaki up by Cerulean? They've got a lot of guys to do their fucked up 'science' -- and I'm sure we all know they don't give a damn about anything other than whatever's best at blowing shit up, no artistry at all -- and at least half of them think they're doing something other than gruntwork. I don't know details about much outside of Kanto, but... fuck it. Why're you still dealing with this shit, Spanner?"

"Habit," he says shortly. "Habit and giant robots."

"At least the fuckers still like mechas, huh."

Shouichi stares at his own coffee -- thankfully perfectly safe coffee; Spanner checked (Spanner likes this particular coffee shop mainly because Bianchi doesn't tolerate anyone Hayato explicitly hates, and Hayato has a tendency to only despise people bad for people he likes at all's health, though he would like it a lot more if the food and drinks were reliably edible) -- and sighs. "But the 'fuckers' -- as you so aptly put it -- don't like time travel anymore? That so?"

"'s far as I know. Haven't had a damn thing to do with them for months, but they'd have to be damn stupid to still be blatant about it. Your best bet's either Galactic -- they're mostly legit, though if you do go that route stay the fuck away from anyone in charge not named Pluto; there's something fucked up going on there -- or I know some guys in Johto. Dunno what they'd think of you, but they can't fucking stand Team Rocket and you seem to have morals enough to satisfy some of them."

Introductions were surprisingly easy: "Tenth, this is Spanner; he's a friend and he makes giant robots for a living. And this is Irie Shouichi; he's a fuckhead. Spanner, Fuckhead, this is the tenth." And then Spanner handed the tenth a lollipop, while Irie made stupid faces like a stupid stupidhead, and all was well.

Well, that's a lie, actually.

For the following month, every morning at six AM, Tsuna wakes up to Reborn's boot in his face and completely fails to notice that there is a refrigerator magnet stuck to the back of his head. First it's little image macros of varying hilarity, then logos for bands like De La Solrock, then pithy phrases, and finally:

refrigerator poetry.

[this] [head] [is] [magnetic]

[do] [you] [believe] [in] [life] [after] [robot]

[listen] [up] [here]['s] [a] [story] [about] [a] [giant] [robot]

[for] [one] [like] [giant] [robot]

[and] [green] [tea]

[Japan] [is] [cool][,] [too]

[johnny] [was] [a] [chemist]
[but] [johnny] [is] [no] [more]
[what] [johnny] [thought] [was] [H[sub]2[/sub]O]
[was] [H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub]]

[a] [senryuu][:]
[feraligatr]
[anti][feraligatr]
[annihilation]

[a] [haiku][:]
[autumn] [leaves] [drift] [down]
[your] [room] [is] [a] [gray] [toaster]
[refrigerator]

[my] [name] [is] [wrench] [and] [if] [ever] [put] [another] [refrigerator] [magnet] [on] [the] [tenth] [am] [going] [to] [find] [myself] [up] [a] [creek] [with][out] [a] [paddle]

There were no more refrigerator magnets found on Tsuna's head after that.

Some days, Tsuna has no idea how he's gotten so many -- friends, might be the word, though he doesn't actually get along with half of them and they tend to be more friends-of-friends. (He isn't sure how to classify Gokudera-kun; on one hand he's not any other word he can think of but Gokudera scares him more often than not and he'd be happier if Gokudera was elsewhere most of the time, really. And yet whenever he vanishes for a week at a time Tsuna can't help but worry about him, even though he's fairly reliably turned up in better shape than he left. And he dragged Spanner and Irie back last time! -- though Tsuna isn't sure he likes Spanner or Irie; they're weird and they keep sort of wanting to study him. It's creepy.) But there's a definite sense of people hanging around in Yamamoto's house in Pewter. (He'd feel bad about imposing, but he got the impression that Yamamoto and his father liked the company and they certainly didn't seem to mind. ... And he definitely didn't want to set up operations in his mom's house. That would go from interesting to creepy in seconds.)

Which isn't to say that everyone stays at Yamamoto's house, of course. Irie-san seems to only stay in the area if he has absolutely no time to return home, and given that the xatu -- Mirai? some thematically fitting name like that; the xatu answered perfectly well to 'xatu' -- usually teleports rather than flies between Lavender and wherever he spends his time, that's rare; it's mostly been when he and Spanner (and Gokudera and occasionally Haru, though Gokudera pretends he doesn't care about Irie-san's 'pet projects', while Haru simply doesn't have the patience or the background knowledge to contribute on a regular basis) are up to something and don't want to pause it for sleep. Even there, they rarely pick Yamamoto's house if there's any chance of, say, Bianchi-san's coffee shop remaining open; she doesn't seem to mind explosions in her basement as long as the building's standing in the morning, and given that Reborn seems to have no qualms about reverting it to how it was the day before if necessary, that effectively means that they can use it for whatever they want.

It's odd, how much his friends will put their usual lives on pause if he or Reborn ask them to. Also creepy. But mostly odd.

Tsuna doesn't like being left alone in the same room as Spanner or Irie for any length of time. Which isn't to say he doesn't trust them! He does! (Really! Even though Spanner is one of Gokudera's weird friends and while he knows logically that Gokudera does not trust people -- which is how Tsuna prefers to say 'is fucking paranoid' -- there is something very fundamentally wrong with that guy. Not the sort of wrong that makes Tsuna think he's going to end up hurting somebody, but one day Spanner is going to end up in notable physical danger and he is not going to have enough braincells wired together right to get himself out okay.)

But ... he's definitely not comfortable with them. He's more comfortable with Spanner, oddly, even if he does think the guy's going to end up dying horribly somehow; most of his interest in Tsuna is purely academic and revolves around giant robots. Tsuna likes giant robots. He's a bit worried by Spanner's tests on exactly how magnetic Tsuna's head is, or on the likely composition of his metal deposits, or on any of a half-dozen other things, but at least Spanner definitely means well and he seems benignly creepy.

Irie-san, though.... Every once in a while, Tsuna gets a feeling that Irie could be very, very dangerous. He's a nice guy almost all of the time, but his vindictive streak is right below the surface and he seems to be the type of person who needs someone to hate. And he doesn't appear to have a current target, either. He seems like he'd be safe enough if Tsuna knew exactly what direction he was aimed in, but Tsuna has no clue and he doesn't think Irie does, either.

And done copy-pasting for the moment.

This is over your first post. I'm kind of doing a thing where I'm trying to review the first post or so on everyone's NaNoWriMo, as they all desperately need love. Might read the rest later.

I had to google KHR, so it goes without saying that I didn't really understand what was going on in your NaNo. Perhaps it's possible that I could have understood it had I not come in with the assumption that "this is weird japanese stuff, it's not meant to be understood", and had I read more carefully. But uh - when all the characters have japanese first and last names, which with you interchangeably refer to them, and the pokemon have japanese nicknames given to them, a roundeye like myself can get confused. So was the character Tsuna Jirachi? I couldn't figure it out, but it's probably just my own fault for not reading it properly and not being familiar with the fandom.

But uh your writing style is really really good. There is not a boring moment. I wish I wrote like you! While I struggle to find ways to speed boring patches of dialogue up, and to describe things in ways that are not awkward, you have a beautiful internal monologue for your characters that seems to automatically bring the important aspects of the plot to the forefront and eliminate boring, dumb stuff. Not only that, but you assign a thrilling, irreverent internal monologue to everything that makes for a very fun read. And you write in third person! How do you do it? You are a very talented writer and I am in awe at your avoidance of awkwardism and your natural prose.

I also really like your interpretation of the pokemon world. Your infodump about the nature of legendary pokemon, your quip about how pokemon don't work with human logic, and the part where you mock azalea for worshiping slowpokes (among others) - they really got the fanwanker in me excited. Good stuff.

So to sum it up... I liked it, but I couldn't quite follow it, although it's probably a lost cause not knowing anything about "Reborn". I might try re reading it in a bit later.

This is over your first post. I'm kind of doing a thing where I'm trying to review the first post or so on everyone's NaNoWriMo, as they all desperately need love. Might read the rest later.

I had to google KHR, so it goes without saying that I didn't really understand what was going on in your NaNo. Perhaps it's possible that I could have understood it had I not come in with the assumption that "this is weird japanese stuff, it's not meant to be understood", and had I read more carefully. But uh - when all the characters have japanese first and last names, which with you interchangeably refer to them, and the pokemon have japanese nicknames given to them, a roundeye like myself can get confused. So was the character Tsuna Jirachi? I couldn't figure it out, but it's probably just my own fault for not reading it properly and not being familiar with the fandom.
It doesn't help that a lot of these ficbits aren't exactly in the greatest order for understanding wtf is going on, either. Also, I decided at some point that I would use japanese names for Pokémon characters (at least partly because the only one I currently have planned to show up and actually do anything other than be a punchline is Saki/Storc/Sird/I don't even know what we're calling her today. The female Rocket admin from the FRLG arc of Pokémon Special who is hinted to be the one who wished for immortality 1000 years ago? That one. ... Fuck yeah obscure characters; next thing you know I'll make it so Youngster Joey is actually ... is actually one of the people who would've taken over the world but were stopped somehow that Byakuran (fuck yeah KHR) recruits and turns into a dinosaur (I am not making all of this up). Or, better yet, Juggler Irwin. Juggler Irwin the anthropomorphic dinosaur. Yeah, that would be fucking awesome.) which probably does not help at all. I should probably include more notes. So really I tend to assume knowledge of KHR and also a bit more Pokémon knowledge than I think most people actually tend to have; see also, the fact that I listed pokémon species by japanese name in the first post because I wanted everything to fit.

It also doesn't help that quite a bit of this revolves in some part around AU BACKSTORY FUCK YEAH that ... mostly hasn't been written yet, and many of the bits that have aren't finished enough for me to want to post.
But uh your writing style is really really good. There is not a boring moment. I wish I wrote like you! While I struggle to find ways to speed boring patches of dialogue up, and to describe things in ways that are not awkward, you have a beautiful internal monologue for your characters that seems to automatically bring the important aspects of the plot to the forefront and eliminate boring, dumb stuff. Not only that, but you assign a thrilling, irreverent internal monologue to everything that makes for a very fun read. And you write in third person! How do you do it? You are a very talented writer and I am in awe at your avoidance of awkwardism and your natural prose.
On the downside, I usually have to write three or four segments a day just to meet the word count and as you may have noticed description that helps to figure out what just happened tends to ... not always be there.

Also heh :D I try to only use viewpoint characters who either would make snide comments anyway or are easy to make snide comments about. Unfortunately this means I'm often writing from Gokudera/Hayato's point of view and he doesn't remember anyone's names, or if he does, he doesn't use them. On the plus side, I haven't involved many characters that he hates enough that he would just refer to them as 'fuckhead' because that would get difficult to read very quickly if I stuck with his head for long. And I'm fairly good at keeping track of KHR character names and Gokudera's stupid nicknames for them! D:

Also, I find third person much, much easier to write than first person; you can't usually non-awkwardly drop closer to omniscient in first person.
I also really like your interpretation of the pokemon world. Your infodump about the nature of legendary pokemon, your quip about how pokemon don't work with human logic, and the part where you mock azalea for worshiping slowpokes (among others) - they really got the fanwanker in me excited. Good stuff.
True facts: my favourite bits to write are infodumps and quips. Oh, and things involving gratuitous headcanon.

IT'S TOTALLY TRUE, THOUGH. There is NOTHING OF VALUE NEAR AZALEA. There is Kurt! And. um. ... Um... ... ... ... slowpoke? And while I forget if this is just anime canon or canon in general, THERE WAS ONCE A DROUGHT, BUT ONE DAY A SLOWPOKE YAWNED AND IT RAINED. And now there is a religion devoted to slowpoke. Though really slowpoke religions seem to be a thing in Johto; there's also an episode about a bunch of Buddhist Catholic nuns who worship slowpoke and then Ash and friends get into an enlightenment battle against Team Rocket while considering converting. Now that's what I'm calling hardcore slowpoke fanaticism. ... Maybe.
So to sum it up... I liked it, but I couldn't quite follow it, although it's probably a lost cause not knowing anything about "Reborn". I might try re reading it in a bit later.
Eh, don't worry about following it at this point; while some of it helps a lot if you know KHR, a lot of it's still very, very AU. I think it's mostly recognizably AU, but still pretty AU. And a lot of the major background for this AU either isn't written yet or isn't posted yet, and neither one helps.

Thank you for commenting \o/!!

Last edited:

I've got a lot of bits to add, but for now I'm just going to post some things I wrote off 1sentence prompts since I couldn't think of anything. ... And yes, they're from a community for posting shipping-related things. I DON'T CARE they're mostly gen or at least platonic.

#01 - Comfort -- The luxury ball seems to stare at him, even as he raises his head to smash it.
#02 - Kiss -- He didn't care if Hibari-san asked; he was never going to fight a clefairy again.
#03 - Soft -- Whenever he sees Lambo (which usually ends up being whenever he sees his father, coincidentally) he always flops back on the mareep and hopes that one day, Lambo'll be able to leave home for more than a day or two.
#04 - Pain -- Reborn wants him to battle at least a little (or so he tells himself; Reborn wouldn't actually be satisfied until he could destroy a salamence in a single move), but he feels sick for a week whenever he wins.
#05 - Potatoes -- Tsuna can't cook, and as he finds out in the Stew Incident, Gokudera-kun can't, either; it's not until Ryouhei-sempai and Yamamoto wander over with a basket of potatoes that they manage to put together an edible soup.
#06 - Rain -- He waits in the rain for Yamamoto once, but he decides not to do it again after feeling some rust on the back of his neck.
#07 - Chocolate -- He is never offering Lambo a wish again; 'I wish for everything to be chocolate!' indeed.
#08 - Happiness -- Happiness is the knowledge that no matter what the day brings, Gokudera and Yamamoto and Ryouhei and Kyouko and Haru and Chrome will always be there if he needs them, and he usually does.
#09 - Telephone -- "Um, Tsuna... This is really embarrassing, but could you leave the room for a bit? I think your head's blocking my reception."
#10 - Ears -- His hearing's improved since he stopped being Sawada Tsunayoshi, which sounds like a good thing until one realises how many soft songs one ignores over the course of a day.
#11 - Name -- He's pretty sure he used to have a last name, but he can't remember it and his mind feels fuzzy when he tries.
#12 - Sensual -- Every few months, he asks Yamamoto to clear off his rust; no one else he's asked is good at scraping it off with steel wool without also removing bits of Tsuna.
#13 - Death -- He pops out of the pokéball one afternoon to a gut feeling that Reborn is late.
#14 - Sex -- "You know," Yamamoto says one day, "my pokédex isn't sure if you're a boy or a girl."
#15 - Touch -- He goes with Yamamoto and Gokudera to the tanabata festival more out of tradition than of any real interest and finds himself clinging to them both like he'll never see them again.
#16 - Weakness -- As much as he likes Hayato, Uri still worries him; he can't help but recall the cat's fiery bite and what kind of electric-type actually used fire as its first choice, anyway!?
#17 - Tears -- Tsuna hates letting anyone touch his tassels; they're sensitive and fragile and he has no idea what would happen if one ripped.
#18 - Speed -- He's not entirely sure why he tries to race his friends sometimes; at the end of the day, it doesn't quite matter how fast you are if it takes ten of your steps to equal two of your opponent's.
#19 - Wind -- What the wingull lacked in physical strength, he more than made up for the first time he beat his wings and wished for the power to do more.
#20 - Freedom -- Hibari-san is the best out of the trainers Reborn has offered him; he expects nothing and wants nothing and gives nothing but the sky.
#21 - Life -- He doesn't care how good Uri says it feels: no matter how much of his pokémon instincts he absorbs and uses, he is not going to lick his crotch.
#22 - Jealousy -- "Gokudera, I promise I'll be back by Sunday, really!"
#23 - Hands -- He tries holding Gokudera's coffee as a favour and ends up clawing through the cup; from then on, Gokudera carries both his drinks and Tsuna's.
#24 - Taste -- Pizza used to be his favourite food, he thinks, but all he tastes of it is rust.
#25 - Devotion -- He learns of Giotto and his friends in twisted little pieces -- Reborn will not tell him and cannot show him -- but what strikes him most is how close his tastes in friends run to Giotto's; they might as well be the same people at times.
#26 - Forever -- He doesn't think he'll ever want to be properly caught; no time passes in pokéballs.
#27 - Blood -- He feels like he's going to throw up the first time Mukuro visits him in his dreams to show what Mukuro has done, what Tsuna's line has done, what Reborn has done; it is all so, so, screwed up and Tsuna doesn't know the first place to start to fix it.
#28 - Sickness -- Some of the downsides of traveling for months on end is that there's no easy health care for humans around; Tsuna only finds out that Yamamoto should've gone to a doctor weeks ago when he collapses with pneumonia.
#29 - Melody -- Haru is beautiful, he realises belatedly, but her pokémon all dance to a melody he can't hear and it hurts him to try.
#30 - Star -- "STOP PUTTING ME ON TOP OF THE CHRISTMAS TREE!!" he yells, but it is and shall remain futile.
#31 - Home -- Tsuna's visited his mother a few times since meeting Reborn, but only when Iemitsu drags him; the sad thing is that he knows from asking Basil that Iemitsu only visits his mother when he takes Tsuna.
#32 - Confusion -- He tries to join Manekkun and the rest of Haru's squad and doesn't know what happened the rest of the day.
#33 - Fear -- "You will not hurt my friends," he growls and it's more a statement of fact of territory than a threat.
#34 - Lightning/Thunder -- "I AM NOT A LIGHTNING ROD," Tsuna blurts out, and of course then Reborn has to prove him wrong.
#35 - Bonds -- He hates pokéballs, really; for all he appreciates the ability to hide in plain sight even from those few who resist illusions, he knows his new form's built for the expanses of space.
#36 - Market -- He drifts through the stalls searching quietly for gifts for the Sasagawas; he settles on scarves and gloves and little pendants of meteoric iron.
#37 - Technology -- Every once in a while, Tsuna gets this nagging feeling, and it's usually because Spanner just stuck a refrigerator magnet to the back of his head again.
#38 - Gift -- "I made you something," Kyouko-chan says, and Tsuna spends the next week with the good luck charm dangling from a tanzaku.
#39 - Smile -- He notices eventually that most of Yamamoto's smiles don't quite reach his eyes, but he has a feeling that he should not ask why.
#40 - Innocence -- His smile is just as bright as it has ever been, but every once in a while he thinks of what his life would have been like without Reborn, and he's wistful for the next week.
#41 - Completion -- "This is Jirachi," Reborn says, quiet, and Tsuna sees who he never will be and smiles, finally sure.
#42 - Clouds -- As much as he loved Altomare -- the wind, the canals, the people -- there was nothing he could do about the soul-deep terror at the sight of the twin dragons and their protégé.
#43 - Sky -- Every once in a while, he sees what Reborn sees; he is of sky and will and nothing can bring him down.
#44 - Heaven -- Heaven is the knowledge that all of his friends are there to be friends and to be happy, no obligations necessary.
#45 - Hell -- Mukuro is twisted, and deeply so; Tsuna looks into his heart and sees nothing but blood and hatred and regret for choices lost.
#46 - Sun -- Ryouhei is never there when Tsuna expects him, but he shows up whenever he needs him and that'll just have to do.
#47 - Moon -- It's a good thing the Clefairy Empire considers jirachi to be a minor deity!
#48 - Waves -- There's no weather in space, but there IS rain dance!
#49 - Hair -- While he'd finally found a form of spraypaint that'd actually stick to his cap enough for him to illusion it into actual hair, there was nothing he could do to make it look less like he used an entire bottle of gel.
#50 - Supernova -- He doesn't like to sleep; he keeps dreaming of what would happen if he let go of Doom Desire.

Back
Top Bottom