• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Knowledge about the World

No, and I seriously think people should stop trying. I'm all for scientists doing good in the world, but when people are just trying to find out /everything/ about the world... it's just not going to end well.

Babies will be born into a world completely controlled by man. It'll be like man created the world. I don't like the idea at all.

I happen to think wonder is a very important thing.

No, and I seriously think people should stop trying. I'm all for scientists doing good in the world, but when people are just trying to find out /everything/ about the world... it's just not going to end well.

Babies will be born into a world completely controlled by man. It'll be like man created the world. I don't like the idea at all.

I happen to think wonder is a very important thing.
But isn't wonder technically part of the pursuit of knowledge?

But I mean wonder as in 'I wonder what stars are made of' rather than 'I wonder what stars are made of, therefore I shall find out what stars are made of'.

One day we're going to know all that's possible to know in the universe, and life will become like the Sims. >>

I know you might find something amazing once you find out how it works, but for me, it's enough just knowing there are clouds floating around the world. I know vaguely how they work, but I don't want to find out every scientific detail.

I suppose there are some people who would like to have complete knowledge of the world, but I truly believe it would be best for them not to have complete knowledge. If God is real, he must have a really boring life.

Why? Knowledge can lead to greater wonder- star aren't just big balls of light and heat, they're complex natural machines which essentially act like giant nuclear generators. What could bring more wonder than that?

Why would any rational person not want answers to their questions?
bible.gif

Regardless of whether or not you have respect for it, the most shallow "god did it" is at least an answer, however unsatisfactory. THIS, however, is more along the lines of "NO QUESTIONS".

(To clarify: I am religious. However, I don't shove it in other people's faces, and I believe God wouldn't MAKE a world with such depth if he didn't want us to research it. It'd be very simple to prevent that, so...)

Ugh.

I'm not saying it's about not getting answers to questions. I just don't see the point in finding out about /every damn thing in the universe/ - sure, if you think you'd be happy and feel accomplished after you found out, feel free to feel that way.

I like finding out how things work, and why they are the way they are. But I also like having things greater and more important than me that I don't understand - and I'm not arrogant enough to assume I'd understand even if I found out the answer, either.

Ugh.

I'm not saying it's about not getting answers to questions. I just don't see the point in finding out about /every damn thing in the universe/ - sure, if you think you'd be happy and feel accomplished after you found out, feel free to feel that way.

I like finding out how things work, and why they are the way they are. But I also like having things greater and more important than me that I don't understand - and I'm not arrogant enough to assume I'd understand even if I found out the answer, either.

Because knowledge is a good thing, and if you can't understand an answer you found, you found the wrong answer.

if you can't understand an answer you found, you found the wrong answer.
i have no idea what to say to that except i disagree

wait okay now that i read that again...

you mean like found as in you figured it out yourself

or found it in a book or something

nevermind i'm not going to understand either way

Figured out yourself- if you have the knowledge of a subject to find the answer, you have to have the knowledge to understand what it means.

Back
Top Bottom