• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Digimon is like pokemon

Uh, no. Digimon first came out in 1990 roughly 6 years before Pokémon. The only things they have in common anyways are that both involve monsters. Other than that, the concepts are highly different. Pokémon involves battling for sport whilsat Digimon involves...saving the universe from ultimate destruction. So...yeh.

And where in my post did I suggest anything about Pokemon and Digimon battling being about the same principles? All I said was that two share various traits, including monster collecting games with different versions.

Actually, the plot to D/P/P is fairly similar to some of the plots used in the Digimon series. As for the release date, just see Retsu's post.

I recognized digimon as a rip-off just by watching commercials (pokemon is short for pocket monsters, digimon is short for digital monters). Both battle and some evolve/digivolve with special items. There is probably other stuff, but I haven't watched digimon.

Well, if you want to get technical, Digimon was created before Pokemon. Just that Pokemon was translated for Western audiences first. ;)

When I was little (read: 7 or so years ago), I remember picking up the coolest magazine I have ever read. It was titled Pokemon vs. Digimon, and it was exactly that.

Well, if you want to get technical, Digimon was created before Pokemon. Just that Pokemon was translated for Western audiences first. ;)

Alright, give me one good, reliable source that says just that. Pocket Monsters Red and Green were released in 1996, while the first Digital Monsters related merchandise were released in 1997.

Also, check out the trademark for Mew(the first trademark anyways.)

Applied for: May 9, 1990
Granted: March 31, 1994

For more info on Mew, check out the trivia section of Mew's entry on Bulbapedia.

Sometimes we people have nothing better to do than have no lives.

...Like right now. I'm so bored. D:

I don't understand how people can see Digimon and think it's "a lot like Pokémon." They have basically nothing in common besides the "monsters that can be raised to turn into stronger monsters" idea.

That's like saying Sailor Moon is like Harry Potter because they both wave wands around to use magic.

:sighs: You're new to Pokémon AND Digimon, aren't you, mew?

Just for the record, she has been into pokemon for a while now, wheras she only knows about digimon from what her best friend tells her, and neither of us have watched much digimon (I know these things because she's my sister). Though we are both new to these forums.

Originally Posted by Meowzie-chan
:sighs: You're new to Pokémon AND Digimon, aren't you, mew?Look, heres the bacts: They are only REMOTELY similar. :sighs again:

If you watch the first two seasons of both shows, being Digimon and Digimon zero two as well as Pokémon and Pokémon Orange Islands, toss in each of their respective movies, the only thing you will actually see in common is the concept of people being partnered with powerful creatures. Now, I've never played the Digimon Games, and I never watched the later seasons of Digimon, but I followed BOTH in the early years, refusing to give up one for the other. They're not alike.

There are multiple dimensions in Digimon, whereas that concept didn't come into Pokémon until the Unown appeared. That was the third movie, for those of you who don't remember.

Also, as mentioned previously, Digimon can CHANGE BACK. Pokémon? Not so much. Digimon are DATA, and immortal. Pokémon? Also not so much. Theres also the talking aspect, but that doesn't really play into it as much. Each Digidestined, at least, in the two REAL seasons, the others are cheap playoffs in other continuities in my opinion, each digidestined was partnered with one character. Pokémon? It's all about the numbers.

I could go on about how the manga for Digimon all sucks by shrinking everything down, and how Pokémon doesn't get enough credit for helping to keep Nintendo in business, but that would be awkard.

I've said my bit.

Cookies to all who actually read this. :/

Just for the record, she has been into pokemon for a while now, wheras she only knows about digimon from what her best friend tells her, and neither of us have watched much digimon (I know these things because she's my sister). Though we are both new to these forums.

thanks arceus, and this is an opinion, not, "oh, digimon is the same as pokemon and they copyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I do say that it is only remotely like Pokémon, but then again, I only watched the first five minutes of the first movie. I only know Agumon, Greymon and Gatomon.

But one thing that has not been mentioned: Most Pokémon cannot speak, while apparently, Digimon can.

ok, Mew, Arceus, if you don't know about BOTH the things you are comparing, then PLEASE don't compare them. Also, Mew, if you could check what your typing? You're writing like a little kid who came here from the Nick.com forums. Trust me, I was there back when the site was decent.

this is in my opinion the most stupidest internets argument ever. just because something ends in "mon" doesn't mean it is automatically a pokemon rip off.

i mean, have any of you people heard of doraeMON? it's technically the most popular anime in japan and it came WAY before digimon AND pokemon. so if the whole "mon" rule applies, i'd say pokemon was a rip off of doraemon, which was one of the pioneers of the kaijuu genre of anime.

i mean, have any of you people heard of doraeMON? it's technically the most popular anime in japan and it came WAY before digimon AND pokemon. so if the whole "mon" rule applies, i'd say pokemon was a rip off of doraemon, which was one of the pioneers of the kaijuu genre of anime.

Did you say that is a Kaiju anime? I'm gonna have to check it out some time.

yeah. i think it has the "monster/creature friend" concept going on with doraemon - an anthropomorphic cat from the future - interacting with nobotaro and co.

I could go on about how the manga for Digimon all sucks by shrinking everything down, and how Pokémon doesn't get enough credit for helping to keep Nintendo in business, but that would be awkward.

Pokemon doesn't get enough credit to keep Nintendo is business? Go to Serebii and look at all the Pokemon fans then you'll agree with the fact Pokemon is popular. Maybe it doesn't seem like it outside the internet but it's true.

I don't understand how people can see Digimon and think it's "a lot like Pokémon." They have basically nothing in common besides the "monsters that can be raised to turn into stronger monsters" idea.

That's like saying Sailor Moon is like Harry Potter because they both wave wands around to use magic.

I don't have to say anything because of you. I agree entirely.

Lol, digimon died in like one year. Pokemons still hanging in there.

Back
Top Bottom