• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[TOWN WINS] ASB Halloween Mafia

Re: [D1] ASB Halloween Mafia

I mean, where there's not information, there's always behavior. Like being in a hurry to no-lynch just because no one's come forward with something yet, hmmm?

As common as D1 abstains are around these parts, every abstain is a missed opportunity to lynch mafia, let's not forget.

But in a random lynch there is a better chance of accidentally killing an innocent than actually killing mafai.

I mean, we basically have this debate every game. Does anything useful actually come of it? I can play my part too!

"But in a random lynch, we actually have a chance of killing mafia, while if we just let them nightkill, an innocent will die!"

Nope, nothing to add here yet. Do we have to vote for someone, or can we choose not to vote for anyone tonight?

To answer your question, unless the GM specifically states in the rules that lynch votes are required, you can either vote to abstain (as several people have done at this point) or just do nothing and let the day move on to night with no votes.

Not to run around in circles with the same argument again, but my personal stance is still that doing something is better than doing nothing and giving the mafia a free turn. Admittedly with such a vanilla start and therefore nothing to go off of, that does basically bring us down to lynching randomly at this point, and yes, that is unfortunate... but eh. I'm in no hurry to just give up entirely on trying to get work done just because there's no information right this second. We've still got a full day left.

Besides, posting to say you're abstaining is nice for activity (and I'll also spare you all my going off on that tired rant), but if everyone's going to abstain anyway, it doesn't actually... do... anything? It's not like the day ends early when everyone's tossed in a vote of some kind. So I'm pretty comfortable waiting at least one more day to be sure that nothing interesting happens before voting one way or another. Conversations that start out about "oh well, there's nothing to do today, we should all just abstain" do occasionally turn into actionable information, after all.

(I mean, I dunno, I guess it helps balance out any votes that do actually occur in the event that those votes roll in toward the end of the day and you don't have a chance to post your opinion then, but eh. Aside from it looking a little like an attempt to stifle discussion, I've just never really seen the point in being so gung-ho to abstain, especially not during a relatively lengthy day phase.)

I agree we should do something today, but I'm honestly pretty loath to lynch based on behavior this early in the game, since we have only a sentence or two to go on for most people. At least right now, I feel like any justification for a lynch based on someone's behavior would be really prone to confirmation bias and pretty much comparable to a randlynch, and that already has pretty low odds of hitting a mafia as mentioned.

For what it's worth, everyone who's posted relatively frequently is coming across as genuine to me - right now, I'm reading ILS/Cynder more as cautious/resigned townies than scum trying to prevent a lynch, especially given ILS's was the first vote of the day, and similarly MF/Eifie/Kratos seem more like town who want discussion rather than mafia who want a mislynch. (By the way, Cynder, I'm not sure where you're getting the 40% from, as 4/12 is closer to 30%? In any case, though, the mafia's already won if the numerical odds of lynching mafia ever get above 1/2, so that argument is always going to lead to abstaining.) I'm more skeptical of Gzhoom's commentary-less vote, although I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's only been in one game here before.

As for everyone else, it's not like you can judge anything about someone's alignment from a one-line post about not having any information, so while I'd support a lynch based on actual behavior, I don't know whether one would be feasible given the amount we have so far? This discussion is giving us more to work with, though.

(I mean, I dunno, I guess it helps balance out any votes that do actually occur in the event that those votes roll in toward the end of the day and you don't have a chance to post your opinion then, but eh. Aside from it looking a little like an attempt to stifle discussion, I've just never really seen the point in being so gung-ho to abstain, especially not during a relatively lengthy day phase.)
Yeah, that's more or less what I meant. I'm not opposed to no-lynching per se, but I don't really see the logic of "no activity, no info -> abstain", specially when it's around the middle of the phase length. It honestly strikes me as being in a hurry to abstain (although I don't mean that that's necessarily scum behavior as opposed to a player vice), and I don't think it accomplishes a lot more than making things complicated for people if they do decide towards lynching farther down the line.

In any case, though, the mafia's already won if the numerical odds of lynching mafia ever get above 1/2, so that argument is always going to lead to abstaining.)
I'm just nitpicking, but I think the way most GMs do it isn't per se "50% living players are mafia -> mafia win"; it requires a situation where literally nothing can stop the mafia from controlling the day vote and landing night kills in impunity. So, like, 50% mafia players wouldn't be a win if the vigilante is alive, since he can still kill mafia. (basically, the whole thing is an artifice to "the actual mafia win condition is killing all Town players, but we're not going to bother playing it out if we have a situation where any other outcome is now impossible")

MFia in particular doesn't operate that way -- it's usually a mafia win on 50% mafia players regardless of whether Town can still stop them killing everyone -- but Negrek's not me, so game design policies may differ.

For what it's worth, everyone who's posted relatively frequently is coming across as genuine to me - right now, I'm reading ILS/Cynder more as cautious/resigned townies than scum trying to prevent a lynch, especially given ILS's was the first vote of the day, and similarly MF/Eifie/Kratos seem more like town who want discussion rather than mafia who want a mislynch. (By the way, Cynder, I'm not sure where you're getting the 40% from, as 4/12 is closer to 30%? In any case, though, the mafia's already won if the numerical odds of lynching mafia ever get above 1/2, so that argument is always going to lead to abstaining.) I'm more skeptical of Gzhoom's commentary-less vote, although I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's only been in one game here before.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt! I’m not used to text-based mafia games quite yet, I suppose. I should have clarified that I wanted to abstain because the chances were so low of lynching a mafia member. If we were to get one, that’d be amazing; however, since night 0 didn’t give us any information, I’d be worried that we’d accidentally lynch someone that could provide us with such information tonight (or kill any townspeople, for that matter. Then the mafia would be up by 3 kills tomorrow).

Also, I’m not sure how it reads behaviorally that I’m replying in such a reaffirmation-based tone. Hopefully this comes across as the expansion of that that I intended it to be.

For the record, in this game the Mafia win when they outnumber the Town players, not when they tie or some other permutation.

For the record, in this game the Mafia win when they outnumber the Town players, not when they tie or some other permutation.
And there we go, Negrek is definitely not me. Transparent GMing??? What the f

After a bit of nervous discussion, which involves a lot of shrugging, no real evidence or even a concrete suspect emerges. Ultimately the townsfolk decide that lynching someone without any clear reasoning in hopes of uncovering a Mafia member would simply be too risky and disperse again to lock themselves in their homes for the night, hoping they'll make it through to the next sunrise.

Seventy-two hours for night actions.

Re: [N1] ASB Halloween Mafia

Another day, another murder. ASB Central's inhabitants are certainly hoping that some of their covert actions might save an innocent from the Mafia's cruel game, but it seems last night they failed again. This time it's Stryke who paid the price, left sprawled ignominiously on some nondescript side street, downed with a single bullet.

Stryke is dead. He was Town.

Seventy-two hours for discussion.

Last edited:
Re: [D2] ASB Halloween Mafia

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
I've got nothing. Anyone else?

I don't have anything today either, unfortunately. I am wondering why the mafia went after Stryke in particular, though, since he only had one post with one line saying he didn't have any information (and so did ZM, Flora, ILS, Butterfree, and Sandstone-Shadow) and there were definitely more active people yesterday. So either they know something we don't that made them want to kill him, or they were targeting him for no reason or just because he only posted once... neither of which really helps us figure out who they are, although it could give us a lead on which of us they're going to target tonight. It does look like they're not jumping to target Butterfree or Kratos after MF's comment yesterday, though, which is something to note. What do you all think?

I think the mafia might just be targeting low-activity townspeople on purpose so that we can't get a read on them. The less a person says, the smaller chance we have of determining a motive for the Mafia to kill them, and therein who the Mafia are.

Are there any information-gatherers that found anything out last night?

I guess I should step forward now. Last night I inspected Keldeo and they flipped Mafia. Night before that, I inspected Kratos and they flipped Town.

Okay, I think there's something going on here. I don't doubt your claim but I'm innocent, and there's nothing in my role PM that says I get inspected as anything other than that??

Back
Top Bottom