• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

If you were an admin here...

Having a rep system where each member has a certain rep visible to everyone, and can +rep and -rep other members to add and subtract from their rep, has proved to be a horrible, inefficient idea. However, I think if there was one that only you (and mods, I guess) could see, it would encourage you to make higher quality posts, without the popularity contest aspect of the whole thing.

Of course, it could be a terrible idea, but maybe it's worth a shot...?

I can't see mods enjoying going around and giving or taking rep from posts.

If a post has a low amount of rep, then it is hidden.

The post, or the rep? Posts being hidden sounds like it'd cause a lot of confusion, and if rep was hidden you'd know if it had poor rep anyway, because well, the rep wouldn't be on the post.

I can't see mods enjoying going around and giving or taking rep from posts.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's the moderators' job to take care of the forums and try to uphold integrity. Is it really that hard to press a button next to someone's name after reading their retarded post in a thread you were reading anyways? Potentially, it could make their job easier - when they constantly get down repped, there's probably a chance that they'll stop making possibly rule-breaking posts.

The reputation system was mods-only when it was first implemented, but then people complained because the mods weren't giving out enough points. That's when it was made public--and then removed.

Ha ha, I remember the posting in the former incarnation of this thread. Baaad times.

At one point, didn't the rep system let users give out rep, but moderators had to validate it? Then, that turned into loads of extra work for the mods, so they changed it to that rep was automatically given, but you could get a mod to delete it if you thought that it was unfair, and managed to convince them similarly.

Nope, I'm pretty sure that it was set up so moderators were the only ones who could give reputation out at all.

Honestly, I've never seen rep work out. PC is the only board where it's managed to stay turned on for more than, like, a month at any large forum. Even there it was on, then taken off, then returned, and then last week there was a rather amusing "omg people are abusing the rep system!" explosion.

I mean, in theory, sure, it sounds like a fine idea, but in practice... I've just never seen good things come of it.

Of course it isn't going to work. People make rep-giving personal, or take it personally when it wasn't necessarily meant to be, or become overzealous, and then there are those who find it amusing to get to X or -X rep for the hell of it, and anyone who goes along with it skews the reputation reading for those who are looking for an honest opinion of someone--you see people with -17 rep or whatever who are actually quite calm and intelligent aside from the fact that they think messing with the rep system is funny. I guess you can read the reputation reasons if you really want to base your opinion on the rep system, but it still defeats the purpose.

It's another one of those "it doesn't work because people suck" type of things, really.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I were the admin. Not much different, I suppose. Then again, I tend to ignore a lot of the place so I'm not exactly fully aware of what needs improvement.

If I was admin, I'd fail.

Miserably.

I can't handle all that stuff. Just think about it makes me nervous. I guess its coz i can't handle all that responsibility.

Reputation wouldn't really serve any purpose besides ego-boosting, anyway. If you just stick around for a while, you'll notice pretty soon who has a good reputation and who doesn't.

Maybe I would turn off postcount for games. Some games have a reputation of being "postcount++" threads, and with postcount gone, they would post there ONLY to have fun like it SHOULD be. So, if people posted there for postcount only, they wouldn't post at all.

I would also bring back adoptables and secret admirers.

Last edited:
I'd probably bring back the 'your last post in thread x' button. It was quite useful for catching up on threads when you hadn't responded to or viewed in a while. :/
This. I miss that button deeply. T_T

I also liked the Secret Admirers thing, as EeveeSkitty said. It made me feel happy to think I was admired, whether truly or no. ^^;;

Rep is just asking for much ado about nothing. In short, bad idea.

The secret admirer hack should only come back if an option to block all admirations or whatever comes along with it.

I like the sound of a democracy....but it would never work out in this forum. I also dispise the rep system because people either give someone bad rep because they hold a grudge, because an opinion differed from their own, or just for the hell of it.

If I was admin, I would disable post count in Forum Games, block people from making second acounts(Really, why do you need two of them? Isn't one enough?), and set up voting only for the major desicions, ones that will affect just about everyone or everything and not just things like secret admirers or convient little buttons. I would also hold some form of official monthly contest, like writing, drawing, and spriting.

Posts that don't deserve to be posts don't deserve to be posts. You can't have it stay but decide that it doesn't count as a post.

I'd strip postcount of anything that portrays it as anything other than a simple statistic. Ranks would go.

The bumping rule is dumb; it essentially reads "No bumping (unless it's not spam!)". The rule on spamming should include a sentence or two on "if the topic* is dead, the thread is dead and shouldn't be revived".

*topics are not threads and threads are not topics ftr; threads have topics.

Last edited:
I'd like to get the Inferno RPG system working with vB's system. I'm sure there's a lot of potential here with user feedback.

For those unfamiliar, think browser based Dragon Quest.

Back
Top Bottom