• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Does Fake Out still cause a flinch against Pokemon that are immune to the damage? In-game it doesn't, but in ASB I would assume the surprise of the move, not the damage, is what causes the flinch.
All the same, a Pokémon immune to damage from Fake Out would have little reason to be startled by what looks like an attack that can't hurt them, so it wouldn't cause a flinch.

Would the Disguise ability take all the hits of a multi hit move, or just the first one?
At least at the moment, Disguise has a slightly different effect in ASB than it does in the games. That was a bit tricky to establish in a timely fashion, but it's there now.

How does Big Root interact with Oblivion Wing/Draining Kiss, since they already restore 3/4 of the health/energy drained?
Returning to this post of yesteryear, which I don't think was ever officially decided upon...

tbh I'd say it either shouldn't affect the damage at all, or at the last shouldn't go about ~80% restored out of damage dealt... 75% is quite a lot, and going higher than that starts to get pretty crazy.

A Pokemon does not need to be told to use its Weakness Policy, correct?

What items DO require command from the trainer?
Pokémon don't need to be told to use their held item if the conditions for automatic item use have been met.

Using the held item before those conditions are met (as is possible with some Berries), or holding off on using an item when the automatic item use conditions were met and then using that item later, on the other hand, are situations where you'd need to tell your Pokémon to use its item, and in those cases, it'd take an action.

Returning to this post of yesteryear, which I don't think was ever officially decided upon...

tbh I'd say it either shouldn't affect the damage at all, or at the last shouldn't go about ~80% restored out of damage dealt... 75% is quite a lot, and going higher than that starts to get pretty crazy.
In the absence of other opinions, I think it's reasonable to say that big root affects only attacks that restore 50% or less of the damage dealt. That would mean it doesn't affect attacks like draining kiss or oblivion wing, and doesn't affect leech seed recovery.

Can Sleep Talk call Rest?

I'm thinking Rest would not work if you're already asleep, but would it be a potential (if ineffective) choice in the Sleep Talk pool?

Sleep talk can definitely call rest, yeah. In-game it just fails, but I would probably have it work unless the reason the pokémon was asleep was that it was already in the middle of using rest.

Yes, unless they say otherwise. Generally the only reason they wouldn't is if they involve rental pokémon; in that case, you get the rental at the end of the battle, but it won't have any EXP.

For the Battle Royal, yes, except rental pokémon.

Double post, but can I use an action to pick up and stab someone with, say, a toxic spike to poison them? Or do they poison anyone who touch them, not just the ones that get pricked by the actual spike part?
This is based on the assumption that ASB spikes and toxic spikes look like the in-game art.
thanksies

Double post, but can I use an action to pick up and stab someone with, say, a toxic spike to poison them? Or do they poison anyone who touch them, not just the ones that get pricked by the actual spike part?
This is based on the assumption that ASB spikes and toxic spikes look like the in-game art.
thanksies

Yes you can use the action to do something like that. Whether toxic spikes work that way, probably ask the ref.

In the absence of other opinions, I think it's reasonable to say that big root affects only attacks that restore 50% or less of the damage dealt. That would mean it doesn't affect attacks like draining kiss or oblivion wing, and doesn't affect leech seed recovery.

So this is old, but I think it would be fun to have Big Root affect Leech Seed! I am hereby petitioning for consideration of this item that no one really uses to affect this move that no one really uses, pretty please.

(Apparently you agreed with this two years ago, too (it's in the thread). My adorable Cutiefly who cannot use Leech Seed says pretty please! Can you really ignore this face?)

cutiefly.png

Thematically it would make sense for big root to affect leech seed, but since in ASB leech seed already restores as much as it drains. So big root would have to make it restore more than it drained somehow, which strikes me as a bit silly.

Thematically it would make sense for big root to affect leech seed, but since in ASB leech seed already restores as much as it drains. So big root would have to make it restore more than it drained somehow, which strikes me as a bit silly.

That's how it works in the games, as far as I can tell. Come on, we already break the laws of physics! What's a little conservation of matter on top?

I guess it can? It's a bit weird, since it's based on the raw HP values, which are most likely unequal between the pokémon, whereas we're working with percentages that are always going to be consistent.

It actually seems like kind of a moot point, because the big root multiplier would have to be huge to actually affect the amount restored by leech seed: like, you're rounding down, so 1.25x 1% is still just 1% recovery. So, that in mind, I guess big root can affect leech seed if you like.

Perhaps we should just put big root up to 1.3x while we're at it, since that's the official multiplier and I don't think there's any particular reason to use a lower one.

Back
Top Bottom