• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[OOC/Signups] New World Guardians

Er, Arcanine, your illusion power slightly overlaps with mine (which is essentially illusions pertaining solely to senses relating to touch), so perhaps you could remove that bit, since all of the rest are at least mostly unique to the guardian?

And @Male Gardevoir I'm curious as to how telekinesis is related to some kind of telepathy other than a generic "well uh psychic powers" thing. Do a person's various powers not really have to be related, or is 08 just special?

Gosh, now I'll be waiting anxiously for tomorrow to start playing as by far the most disgusting character I've ever made xD.

@Kusa: Yeah I know, but without that it might make illusions less realistic and therefore easier to be discovered. If you insist I'm cool with it, but it makes some difference to me.

And @Male Gardevoir I'm curious as to how telekinesis is related to some kind of telepathy other than a generic "well uh psychic powers" thing. Do a person's various powers not really have to be related, or is 08 just special?

If I wrote something that is odd it's most likely due my extreme lack of knowledge on the topic DURR

@Kusa: Yeah I know, but without that it might make illusions less realistic and therefore easier to be discovered. If you insist I'm cool with it, but it makes some difference to me.

Ah, so your intent "making believable illusions" above other things ... uh, can you restrict it to pressure-related touch then? That'd be related to texture and apparent hardness, etc. Temperature too if you must but I'd rather you leave the rest of the below-head senses to me.

Especially pain, even if you're trying to convince someone he just got stabbed, because that's 04's main thing. But there's also the subtler ones I'd like exclusive to 04, e.g. if you try to convince someone there's a table and they're pushing down on it, you can make the palms of their hands feel like there's something hard and flat, and you can make them see that their hands are flat on the table, but they'll still know their arms are actually pushing down in the way that most non-drunk people can touch their nose without looking.

If I wrote something that is odd it's most likely due my extreme lack of knowledge on the topic DURR

Well it's not exactly something to have too much knowledge about, just that moving things is not strongly related to putting thoughts into someone else's head. If you had the illusion power it might be closer (still not too much, I'd think, though).

Perhaps it could have been related to the 200+ IQ (...) and his other mental exercises but his "real power" is telekinesis. His memory thing could have been some weird personality trait otherwise, but if it's actually his power, that's also a bit odd.

I mean, high IQ (even a mere 120) and telekinesis is already a pretty powerful combination even if no one codified the laws/theories of physics - a bit of experimentation will reveal you're practically a god (even more so than 09), unless you've got arbitrary limitations like only being able to grab a whole object at the same time instead of a piece of it, or you don't have fine control (unlikely; see deflecting bullets).

Ah, so your intent "making believable illusions" above other things ... uh, can you restrict it to pressure-related touch then? That'd be related to texture and apparent hardness, etc. Temperature too if you must but I'd rather you leave the rest of the below-head senses to me.

Especially pain, even if you're trying to convince someone he just got stabbed, because that's 04's main thing. But there's also the subtler ones I'd like exclusive to 04, e.g. if you try to convince someone there's a table and they're pushing down on it, you can make the palms of their hands feel like there's something hard and flat, and you can make them see that their hands are flat on the table, but they'll still know their arms are actually pushing down in the way that most non-drunk people can touch their nose without looking.

Well it's not exactly something to have too much knowledge about, just that moving things is not strongly related to putting thoughts into someone else's head. If you had the illusion power it might be closer (still not too much, I'd think, though).

Perhaps it could have been related to the 200+ IQ (...) and his other mental exercises but his "real power" is telekinesis. His memory thing could have been some weird personality trait otherwise, but if it's actually his power, that's also a bit odd.

I mean, high IQ (even a mere 120) and telekinesis is already a pretty powerful combination even if no one codified the laws/theories of physics - a bit of experimentation will reveal you're practically a god (even more so than 09), unless you've got arbitrary limitations like only being able to grab a whole object at the same time instead of a piece of it, or you don't have fine control (unlikely; see deflecting bullets).

I suppose that makes sense. Although deflecting bullets was more like "making them bounce in a random direction" rather then "choose EXACTLY where they bounce" but I can make some changes, since parts of the power wouldn't work out in practice anyway. Plus that when I think of it I want to keep that power to the character I originally intended it for.

Kusa: I wanted it pretty much like you describe it, the texture/pressure thing. The illusion is only supposed to be a distraction, not to cause any real damage (contrary to what 04 apparently is going to do). It's only that 09 is kind of a sadistic when he uses his power on hostile beings, and that allied to me watching several Silent Hill "Let's Play"-s gives me some ideas of what to do. If you saw yourself imprisoned with chains, but didn't feel them pressuring against your skin, it would be kinda obvious it was an illusion.

On the other hand, the illusion would fall apart as soon as someone tried to tug at the chains, as many people seem to do. Or at least there'd be a few cracks since they feel their arm moving as though there's no chains resisting them. Granted, it'd be more mind screw than destroying the illusion, unless people know about your illusory abilities, in which case I actually chain them and then make them feel as though their arm is extending when it's really not ... ahem.

Let me tell you that in describing the truck driver, you have perfectly described my Civics teacher. xD The entire school calls him the walrus.

I was given the impression that the stuff written in that entry was known as fact - that Stein knew from observing the guardians that they had powers, can walk, can talk, were infused with knowledge beyond that of a newborn, etc.

It could just be theoretical in that they performed the necessary procedures to give these traits to the guardians, but the journal entries don't mention progress on those technologies, so it's not the first thing to come to mind.

Well, they don't really know for sure that everything worked, so a partial failure might have been interesting. Less so, admittedly, without Stein around to disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom