• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pet Peeves?

My mom's pet peeve about my dog licking the floor and her reactions to that said pet peeve is quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine.

Also, the mis-use of the word 'rape' and other loaded words make me mad like no other. ex. "That test just raped me." "She's so fucking retarded."

Also, when people are honestly confused about a touchy subject, word something wrong, and are promptly jumped on for saying something in an ignorant way. There's a difference between politely correcting someone and being a downright jerk about it.

And waiting. I am so impatient.

Obviously, I like to complain.

Last edited:
also when jordan farts under the covers and traps me in them :( WOW WHAT A JERK

no seriously they're the worst KURST THE WORST

"Yeah, I like pokemon! but only the first games they all suck now"

arrgh

Ok, but what if that is actually an opinion people have (including me?). I personally haven't really played any Pokemon game extensively past 3rd generation, even though I did ROM a few of the 4th generation games. I simply find them more cluttered and less fun, and there's too much stuff going on in the newer games that for me distracts from the real gameplay. Also I find most of the new pokemon, their designs, and the ideas behind them horrible compared to what they produced in 1st/2nd gen (I already thought 3rd gen was getting weaker).

To me the franchise really feels like it's being milked more for every drop that it's worth than creating a game that has good and lasting gameplay value. I just don't want to continue playing after I finish the 2nd/3rd gym. I would really rather see they took their time about a new generation and produced a product that isn't a similar version of what was done before and fucking up the mechanics of the game so bad it's become a huge mess. I want a game I can remember, and when I play the newer games, the sequels, I don't feel as enthralled.

And that's not because older is always better - plenty franchises improve over the years and really do get better. I just found Pokemon wasn't one of them!

Ok, but what if that is actually an opinion people have (including me?). I personally haven't really played any Pokemon game extensively past 3rd generation, even though I did ROM a few of the 4th generation games. I simply find them more cluttered and less fun, and there's too much stuff going on in the newer games that for me distracts from the real gameplay. Also I find most of the new pokemon, their designs, and the ideas behind them horrible compared to what they produced in 1st/2nd gen (I already thought 3rd gen was getting weaker).

To me the franchise really feels like it's being milked more for every drop that it's worth than creating a game that has good and lasting gameplay value. I just don't want to continue playing after I finish the 2nd/3rd gym. I would really rather see they took their time about a new generation and produced a product that isn't a similar version of what was done before and fucking up the mechanics of the game so bad it's become a huge mess. I want a game I can remember, and when I play the newer games, the sequels, I don't feel as enthralled.

And that's not because older is always better - plenty franchises improve over the years and really do get better. I just found Pokemon wasn't one of them!

I'm pretty sure that ultra meant about people who refuse to play anything past gen 1 and everything else automatically sucks because it's not gen 1.

or tells me to go do something while I'm doing it

YES. THIS. I have been yelled at for not washing the dishes so many times...while I was walking into the kitchen to wash the dishes.

Peversion.
People who push their religions on others.
Text speak on forums.
People who say "that's gay" or "that's retarded". BECAUSE IT'S WRONG. WRONG, WRONG, WRONGITY, WRONG!
IF YOU SAY "GAY" WHEN YOU MEAN STUPID, YOU DESERVE TO CATCH ON FIRE!

I'm sorry, but I just really hate gay-predijuced people.

I'm pretty sure that ultra meant about people who refuse to play anything past gen 1 and everything else automatically sucks because it's not gen 1.

I highly doubt it matters which generation it is. People always have a preferred cutoff and want to play what they like playing. How much they play is just a matter of how big their field of interest is. A lot of people don't like playing a certain sequel just because it's not the original. This isn't just for video games; people deride TV shows for being shit after season x because season y was the best and it's clearly not season y.

People hate bands' new records because they don't sound exactly like the old records. People hated Metallica for releasing the s/t because it didn't sound like Master of Puppets! Where you draw that line is irrelevant, I mean, whether it's the first two generations or the first three or the first six (given there's 20 or whatever) is irrelevant.

People are always going to hate if it's not what they expected it to be, failing to take into account they're not the artist/author/designer producing the game who have themselves also to please, not just the customer.

Furthermore it's perfectly fine not to like anything past 1st gen if that's really what your tastes are like. I think what uv is trying to imply is that she dislikes the stereotypical hipster attitude of "everything was better back in the day when" which is indeed depressingly common, but then, there are plenty of things that WERE better back in the day. That's just how it is, people run out of creative inspiration and then a series exists for its fans and not for the sake of creating good art. Losing that sincerity in your art makes sure you're not an artist, but an entertainer.

The problem is that her post doesn't imply this distinction between people who have a genuine reason to dislike later installments of a series and people who are just hating because it isn't 1st gen or because it is cool to be a grumpy hipster.

For the record, with pretty much everything, my attachment always lies with the thing that got me into it, and the things surrounding it. I almost never like an entire oeuvre of somebody's work. Often, part of it is crap, and the only thing left to be determined is the ratio of good:crap. My favourites have the highest proportion of good, naturally, but that's really hard to quantify.

One of my pet peeves about artists and musicians are people who are insincere about this and don't realise that their statements of artistic views and impressions are inconsistent with their output. It's fine to stick to a style, but don't say that you're so diverse and then release the same goddamn product over and over again.

^0_O

Thanks for clearing that for me. I don't like it when a series/music/whatever losses it's soul either.

One of my pet peeves about artists and musicians are people who are insincere about this and don't realise that their statements of artistic views and impressions are inconsistent with their output. It's fine to stick to a style, but don't say that you're so diverse and then release the same goddamn product over and over again.

Fantastic points here! I do think, though, that creative things, like entertainment, and the people who make them tend to recieve harsher criticism compared to other careers, like say a deskjob or something that relies on a similar consistent output rather than something that is supposed re-invent itself, but somehow remain recognizable.

I hate it when people claim to be atheist but are really agnostic. I also really hate really religious people, but only if they try to shove it down every other person's throat. Otherwise what people do in the privacy of their own life is up to them.

Thinking about it, I guess it's just people who get up in people's faces about what they're into. Like, whatever, you're a hipster. I don't care. Stop trying to make it more obvious than it is, and go on with your life. I personally have no problems with hipsters, just the ones who act like it's a big secret. You're wearing a flannel shirt, a scarf, short shorts, and a sweatband in the middle of summer. If you're not a hipster I'm worried about you.

Yeah, I would have to say people who are terrible at grammar. If you're fairly new to English I can understand, but if it's your first language, I just don't get it.

OH! And when girls wear really fancy/frilly blouses, and sweatpants. You had the effort to pick out a fancy shirt, but not at least a friggin' pair of jeans?

Sorry about that mini rants...

Fantastic points here! I do think, though, that creative things, like entertainment, and the people who make them tend to recieve harsher criticism compared to other careers, like say a deskjob or something that relies on a similar consistent output rather than something that is supposed re-invent itself, but somehow remain recognizable.

They receive harsher criticism because their job description is different. Keep in mind that if you're an artist, you're doing this for yourself. You're making art that you want to see. The fact that everyone else likes it too is just a bonus that has happened to pay your bills. Otherwise, you're an entertainer (there is no harm in being an entertainer who writes songs for other people to hear and panders to a certain demographic!). But most artists claim they are artists when their output speaks volumes about what they are - entertainers. If someone cares about their fans, and that that is what gives him/her their pension money, they need to be honest about this.

An artist's job is to hold a mirror up to yourself and society. To show what people of the time thought about the things that happened at that time. How people lived and thought. If you're an artist, you can't ever compromise this honesty because that will lead to you not being able to hold up that mirror. I have to admit, I am not a very good artist - it's not my job career, I just play guitar and write song lyrics on the side, but whenever I write a chord progression or a riff or a lyric, I'm doing it because I feel connected to that lyric. If other people like it then that's great. But I wrote it first and foremost because I am okay with the thing I wrote. That's probably also why being an artist is a shortcut to unemployment, haha... (good thing I'm getting university education since my artistic talents aren't good enough to live off).

Someone who's in a commercial company who is tasked to make a certain product (say, someone who designs foodstuff processes) has a job to do, and it needs to work and sell (because that is the goal of a company - to make profit). That's what they do - that's what their contracts say! They've got a job to do and their deliverable is how much sales they generate, if the plant works according to production specs, etcetera. When does a foodstuff engineer do a good job? When he's selling his products!

That's a whole different line of work and requires a whole different set of ethics to function. And we can debate for a while whether you should want that set of ethics, but in my opinion, this comes with the company job description. Make profit is the name of the game - you do that. You have to go and do what your boss tells you to.

When I'm told to do a job, then given another job straight away, then asked why I haven't done the first job.

SEE MOM THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

People who say "that's gay". BECAUSE IT'S WRONG. WRONG, WRONG, WRONGITY, WRONG!
IF YOU SAY "GAY" WHEN YOU MEAN STUPID, YOU DESERVE TO CATCH ON FIRE!

I'm sorry, but I just really hate gay-predijuced people.

*COUGHBROTHERCOUGH*

SEE MOM THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

*COUGHBROTHERCOUGH*

ikr

I absolutely HATE having my door open when I'm inside of my room. I just drives me crazy and also I don't have an emote for the aforementioned insanity which makes me le sad.

And I detest it when people play music within my earshot. I will not elaborate this reasoning at the moment.

They're not mutually exclusive.

I don't quite follow. Are you saying you hate it when people claim to be agnostic but are really atheist? Or are you saying that someone can be agnostic and atheist at the same time?

Either way, what I meant was I hate people that are like "lol I'm atheist religion sucks" and then I ask them why they don't believe there is a God, and they say, something like "I don't disbelieve it, I just have no reason to believe it."

Um.. just going to interject here..
It bugs me to no end when I'm walking down the school hallway and someone is behind me yelling at me to move faster. The fact that they're yelling at me isn't the part that gets me though, nooo, it's the way they say it. First off, you're being rude. Stop that. It doesn't take much to be nice, or better, weave around the slower people silently. Second, learn to say the word "move" correctly.
They add in a syllable.. Just one syllable..

"Moo-VUH"

The fuck kind of pronunciation is that? I can't even describe how much the added "vuh" infuriates me. Please learn to properly say the word before you go around yelling it at people, please.

I have some grammar peeves as well, but I don't pretend to know the nuances of the subject. Just know where apostrophies go and all is happy.

As for the "deeper" pet peeves on here, such as willful ignorance, they also piss me off. They piss me off more then anything. I could write pages of rants.

Last edited:
Furthermore it's perfectly fine not to like anything past 1st gen if that's really what your tastes are like. I think what uv is trying to imply is that she dislikes the stereotypical hipster attitude of "everything was better back in the day when" [...]
The problem is that her post doesn't imply this distinction between people who have a genuine reason to dislike later installments of a series and people who are just hating because it isn't 1st gen or because it is cool to be a grumpy hipster.

perhaps I should have clarified; indeed, there is absolutely nothing wrong with people who actually do enjoy the earlier generations/games of pokemon or anything. I don't have a problem with that at all, but my pet peeve is specifically about people who have never bothered to look past the first few games at all and then arbitrarily decide that the first games were better. Some people who do this haven't actually played a pokemon game. In my group of friends I have a rather alarmingly large amount of people who seem to hate the later pokemon games for no other reason than because it seems like a particularly cool or hipster thing to do, even though they've never actually had a look or played the games. Then they remember that I actually do like pokemon and then come to me and start going on about how pokemon sucks now and expect me to praise their good taste.

I just can't understand how you can really call yourself a fan of the pokemon games if you haven't actually played the games and seem to enjoy hating the later generations more than enjoying the fandom itself. Pokemon seems to have become one of those things that are in the nostalgic consciousness for people who don't play pokemon anyway, and therefore something to be hipster about for no apparent reason.

Last edited:
I don't quite follow. Are you saying you hate it when people claim to be agnostic but are really atheist? Or are you saying that someone can be agnostic and atheist at the same time?

Either way, what I meant was I hate people that are like "lol I'm atheist religion sucks" and then I ask them why they don't believe there is a God, and they say, something like "I don't disbelieve it, I just have no reason to believe it."
I'm saying you can be both at the same time; indeed, almost all atheists are agnostic.

It bugs me to no end when I'm walking down the school hallway and someone is behind me yelling at me to move faster.

Indeed. If I could possibly be going any faster then I would be doing it. There are people in front of me, see? I can't walk through them, I don't know that spell yet. Also, you've been at this school as long as me, person behind me, and from personal experience I can tell you that you should know how walking in a hallway works around here.

Also, when people pronounce only one 's' when saying words like boys' or dogs' or Jesus'. I mean, I realize that there is only one 's' there, but come on you have to let me know that it's possessive. PLEASE (if I have to hear 'in jesus name we pray' one more time)

I have a ton of these, too. I complain excessively.

Also, when people are honestly confused about a touchy subject, word something wrong, and are promptly jumped on for saying something in an ignorant way. There's a difference between politely correcting someone and being a downright jerk about it.

What feels like the majority of the forum do this

I'm already well aware of how evil I am for being more ignorant than others, maybe the reason I want to ask questions is to do something about it and it is not my intention to be intolerant.

Back
Top Bottom