• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Firefox vs IE vs Chrome vs Safari vs Opera

Which Browser?

• Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Apple's Safari

• Opera

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other

• Undecided

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • You suck.

• Total voters
Firefox; I've never had an issue with it freezing up and it's been pretty reliable overall.

(I like how this is really only Firefox versus Chrome.)

I use Firefox for all my general internetting needs, and Chrome for various extentions and stuff, and secretly internetting

I don't use Chrome because I find Google's tracking of everything ever pretty skeevy; I use Iron if I feel I want to go Chromium for awhile, which is basically never, but wahey. I only have IE on my Windows partitions and rarely ever use it--occasionally I have some reason to want to browse somewhere without being logged in, so I use it for its lack of cookies, but that's about it.

Basically, Firefox suits my needs just fine... I use relatively few extensions and almost never have more than ~10 tabs open at once (shock, horror), so I typically don't experience any performance issues.

Last edited:
Firefox has been my go-to for years (amongst other browsers most people here have not heard of for various miscellany.)

There is absolutely no reason to use the spyware that is Chrome when Chromium exists, for the others who are so mysteriously enamoured with the thing.

To be honest, I prefer Firefox as a matter of principle, since Mozilla seems to be an organization more focused on openness and the user. Google seems to be more of a "we know what's best for you" type of company like Apple, as evidenced at times like this (abstract: the http:// prefix was removed from the URL bar, and whenever you select and copy from the URL bar then it re-adds the http:// prefix, which is nice unless you just want a host name, in which case Chrome just tells you to fuck off because you're not their target audience).

However, in practice I just find myself opening whichever browser I happen to open at the time. I find myself switching between Firefox and Chromium. I use (Google) Chrome at work because I need the use of the proprietary Adobe Trash player.

I usually use Firefox. I used Chrome for a while one time Firefox messed up, and kept using it until Chrome started messing up again and then Firefox was okay again.

I've been using Firefox too long now to just switch... the only thing I miss for Chrome is that all the add-ons I find are for Chrome (I guess they're easier to develop for chrome or something, i don't know) not all of them have a Firefox version... or the Firefox version is much worse or doesn't work properly. (Firefox tumblr savior, for example, is confusing as hell with some kind of coding instead of the simple boxes/lists you just type text into, and even when I got it to work it hid half my dash for no reason at all, so I had to turn it off)

Last edited:
I used to swear by firefox but the firefox tumblr savior extension is really kind of shitty in comparison to chrome's.

(Firefox tumblr savior, for example, is confusing as hell with some kind of coding instead of the simple boxes/lists you just type text into, and even when I got it to work it hid half my dash for no reason at all, so I had to turn it off)

Are you guys talking about this userscript? Because yeah, that was cumbersome and started misbehaving after a while, but there's a proper addon now that works the same way as the Chrome one and does actually function correctly. I haven't had any problems with it after switching to that version. Just fyi.

I prefer Firefox but use both it and some Chromium derivative or other depending on my current OS/mood. Firefox does have a tendency to be slower, particularly on Ubuntu, but it's rarely so slow that it has a major impact on my browsing ability and since I prefer the Fx version of most addons (FoxReplace is my bestest friend) and some of Fx's other functionality/interface patterns I'm more than happy to put up with it. That said Firefox does get on my nerves from time to time, and when that happens I'll switch to whateverChromium until that in turn gets on my nerves and I switch back to Firefox.

I miss Opera :c I'm not sure why I switched to Firefox for good but it was probably to do with the speed dial being redesigned. that thing is important.

Firefox. I downloaded it on my old desktop Mac shortly after we got it because Safari was a butt and it's been pretty great.

I miss Opera :c I'm not sure why I switched to Firefox for good but it was probably to do with the speed dial being redesigned. that thing is important.
I like Opera as a browser; it's basically everything I wish SeaMonkey was at this point. I don't use it, however, as it's proprietary and "sticks out" more than Firefox (neither are GTK or Qt).

There is absolutely no reason to use the spyware that is Chrome when Chromium exists

I am stupid; where on earth is there a download for chromium? I have never managed to find a download link for chromium.

I am stupid; where on earth is there a download for chromium? I have never managed to find a download link for chromium.

Oh no, you're not stupid! http://superuser.com/questions/395360/where-can-i-download-chromium-browser-for-windows See, here's someone else with the same problem; supposedly it's intentionally hard to find?

Does this link work for you? http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTAB...rowsers/Portable-Google-Chrome-Chromium.shtml I can't easily test it, but it appears to be the right thing.

I didn't know Chromium was hard to find? I guess I've been able to just go to Ubuntu Software Center and get it, so.

I totally didn't get chrome back then just because the logo colors were prettier, nope

Wow, this forum is even polarized on its browsers <_<

Shoulda voted You Suck :P

I... hunh? If that was specifically in reference to "I got Chrome because pretty logo colors" then I've lost you.

I didn't think that we were terribly polarized!

Although I was hoping that more people would pick "You suck".

I generally switch between all my browsers. I tend to stick to Chrome when I use Windows because I try to "organize" my tabs with different windows. Since I have multiple virtual desktops, It allows me to put all of one category in one, planning for a project in another, and such. It's more efficient when I have to search around a lot or plan something [with the research]. I use FireFox as an experimental browser and side browser and sandbox browser when I'm checking the validity of a website of link. I absolutely hate Internet Explorer and only use it when checking page compatibilities or when I'm at someone else's house and have to use their browser (PortableApps = Happiness).
The fact that Google Chrome isn't very good with tabs kind of annoys me though. but at least it forces me to open multiple other windows, so when one freezes, I can just switch to another until it unfreezes and it forces me to be better organized. At one point I had about 300 tabs open, and Google Chrome handled it better than Firefox or Internet Explorer for Windows. Although when I start back up my Linux Mint session, It has over 800 tabs in Firefox... It actually handled around 1000 with only 2 gigs of ram and 2 gigs of virtual memory 2 years ago.
I am going to say that for Windows [7], Firefox/Chrome are my choices, but with Linux, Firefox is my only preferred choice. When I'm using a netbook with Windows 7 Starter and a crappy wireless card, I use Opera.

Back
Top Bottom