• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White English names

Ah well, Doesn't matter what it is, naming it Wargle. Because Braviary makes me think of a dairy farm full of cows who like braveheart.

Ah well, Doesn't matter what it is, naming it Wargle. Because Braviary makes me think of a dairy farm full of cows who like braveheart.
It makes me think of a collection of courageous birds. :l
...come to think of it it's a bit less cool now I realise I've been confusing the words "aviary" and "eyrie".

Aaaa how could I have? D: Fixed, along with a handful of typos in the Japanese names. (Pretty sure I paid more attention copying out the leaked names in the first place.)

And if Victini's been confirmed, I don't know/can't figure out where.

I'm confused with Axew.

It's official. 5th gen has the most bizarre names.
Names that should have been kept:
Mamepato
Gigaiasu
Nageki/Dageki (like really, how did they come up with the english?)
Wargle
...and half of the freaking rest of them.

...why in the world should Pidove have been kept as Mamepato? I get not liking 'Pidove', but 'Mamepato' is a Japanese name that's utterly meaningless to English audiences; why on earth should they keep it?

I don't mind most of the new names, and I'm sure I'll be fine and dandy with all of them once Black and White come out here. I'd like to know how to pronounce some of them, however. Although, it'll take me a bit to remember to use the English names instead of the Japanese ones.

I approve of all.
Except for Throh, which is plain stupid & is less pronouncable than the Japanese name.

THAT IS ALL

...is Gigalith really that much different?

Not at all. In fact, you could argue that the Japanese name should be romanized as Gigaiath, which is pretty darn close to what the English name is. I myself prefer the English name.

I approve of all.
Except for Throh, which is plain stupid & is less pronouncable than the Japanese name.

THAT IS ALL
...isn't it just pronounced "throw"? You know, "sock" and "throw"?

Just be glad that the red one isn't Sawk. Else you'd get Red Sawks.

In the meantime, you set up Red vs Blue between Throh and Sawk.

Not at all. In fact, you could argue that the Japanese name should be romanized as Gigaiath, which is pretty darn close to what the English name is. I myself prefer the English name.

This. Both the literal romanization "Gigaiasu" and the trademarked "Gigaiath" make me just as pronunciation-confused as Cofagrigus. "Gigalith" is basically the same, clarifies the pronunciation, and turning "iath" into "lith" is another little elemental-type hint.

Okay, I'm going to be assaulted as the THEY CHANGED IT NOW IT SUCKS person, but I pretty much hate all of the English names, and will probably continue using the Japanese variants. l: I love the sound of most of the Japanese names (particularly Kyuremu - albeit not much changed, the 'U' adds to it the way I pronounce it - and Kojondo) to begin with, I love just about all the 'Mons themselves, but the names are just... awful.
Conkledurr. The fuck? It sounds like a kindergarten insult. "YOU CONKLEDURR, I'M TELLING" Not to mention Gurdurr. DURR, GURR DURR hurf. Yes I realise the actual reference but that's all I can think of.
SOME of them are good. Trubbish and Rufflet are adorable, and some aren't different at all of course, but the rest..

*sigh* *umbrella*

No, you're not going to continue using the Japanese names. People say that every generation and they never do it, because it always, always turns out the names aren't as bad as they thought once they've actually gotten used to them.

Also, Kyurem is its Japanese name. If the u is adding to it the way you pronounce it, you're pronouncing it wrong. :/

Last edited:
Also, Kyurem is it's Japanese name. If the u is adding to it the way you pronounce it, you're pronouncing it wrong. :/

To clarify, Kyuremu is the literal romanization, Kyurem (in romaji) is what's on record with the Japanese trademark office. Not that these are always better than the occasional fan romanization ("PRASLE" for Plusle comes to mind) but for the most part, they're official.

Back
Top Bottom