• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Active Server pages?

bulbasaur

Not quite e^(-(x-μ)²/(2σ²)) / (σ√(2π))
Hello,
Does anyone know how to use ASP? I think that TCoD uses them...:unsure: Thanks in advance,

Bulbasaur

TCoD uses ASP.NET. I'm not sure if that's a "can anybody help me with [x] script", but I'll ask anyway: What exactly do you want to know about/need help for in ASP?

Well, I want a tutorial for ASP something similar to your guide to HTML that you posted on the Lugia's island forums, instead of just saying "This is a script; copy and paste it and you will get this! *gasp*. If you could just point me towards a good tutorial, I'll be very grateful.

Thanks,

Bulbasaur

ASP is useless. *nix servers (which will probably be hosting your site if you put it on the Web) rarely support it, and they never support it well. Even if you're on a Windows server now, if you're ever forced to move your site, all your scripts could break.

Anyways, all of the languages supported by ASP are gibberish. You don't want to confuse yourself by learning them.

PHP is the most popular language on the Web, and for good reason. I recommend you learn it if you're interested in server-side scripting. The documentation of PHP is also far superior to that available for any other language.

Well, I want a tutorial for ASP something similar to your guide to HTML that you posted on the Lugia's island forums, instead of just saying "This is a script; copy and paste it and you will get this! *gasp*.
The least boring way to learn a programming language is to analyze how others' scripts work.

The PHP documentation has a much cleaner organization. All of python.org's articles on "modules" (ugh) have an apparently random structure, whereas php.net's function reference separates pages into consistent sections. Also, php.net allows users to contribute notes, many of which are extremely helpful.

...besides, Python is repulsive and poorly supported.

PHP is the most popular language on the Web, and for good reason.
Yeah, it's great if you're an idiot.

PHP is garbage.

The documentation of PHP is also far superior to that available for any other language.
Uh. No?

The least boring way to learn a programming language is to analyze how others' scripts work.
If you're new to programming, this will only make you as good as the code you read. With PHP, that means you will probably suck.

The PHP documentation has a much cleaner organization.

What? All I'm seeing is a page vaguely describing a function or whatever the hell you request of the manual. Speaking of reuqests, The search function sucks; you can barely find anything on it without using Google. It says a lot, too. Compare that to Python's documentation search function, and then come back to me saying PHP's manual is superior. That isn't where it ends. It has no real organization; it is just a plethora of links to functions whose names don't even make sense at first glance.

You've yet to provide any valid points as to how the PHP manual and its documentation is superior. Just the "it has the same structure" argument.

Oh, and try Ruby-Doc.org. It is so much more than what PHP's manual is, and it even has tutorials and other information on how to actually code applications in the language.

[quiote]"modules"[/quote]

What's the matter? Are you too used to that function soup that PHP's riddled with?

Also, php.net allows users to contribute notes, many of which are extremely helpful.

Comments can be posted by anybody. If there was something that was necessary to have been added to the documentation, it should have been added. Comments is just another excuse for the documentation maintainers to be lazy and not include anything important. A lot of comments also consist of people arguing over trivial concerns, and issues that don't even exist.

I see what you did there.

Python ships with majority of Linux distributions (obviously, because software like yum was made in Python), and you are free to quote me and the . You're also forgetting that the user can optionally run it as CGI, or use the /cgi-bin, which was made exactly for that; running programs as CGI. You're free to quote me and the Python page confirming this.

Show me a language with better online documentation.

http://perldoc.perl.org/
http://www.ruby-doc.org/

EDIT:

Also, prove that PHP > Python/Perl. You've claimed that they suck, but I don't see any justification.

The PHP documentation has a much cleaner organization. All of python.org's articles on "modules" (ugh) have an apparently random structure, whereas php.net's function reference separates pages into consistent sections.
Ugh, breaking things up into groups instead of polluting the global namespace with some four thousand names. How dare I have to spend half a second importing what I want so it's easier to follow my program's flow and read my code.

Python is pretty consistent with module pages: it lists an overview of the module, anything you may need to know before using it, then the contents.

Also, php.net allows users to contribute notes, many of which are extremely helpful.
And many of which are misleading, outdated, unhelpful, or flat-out wrong. Alas, if you're new to programming, you won't be able to tell the difference, and the circle continues.

The PHP community is full of the blind leading the blind.

Python is simple, elegant, installed on pretty much every Linux and OS X machine in the world, and simple to get running on Windows.

A real idiot would waste their time programming unreadable noise in low-level nonsense like Perl and Python.
I'm beginning to doubt you've ever read or written a line of either of these languages. Python is line noise? Perl is low-level? Good lord, it's like you just picked some tech terms out of a hat and use half of them to 'explain' why you hate the other half.

Show me a language with better online documentation.
PHP has vaguely usable documentation, but I hardly see what makes it the best of any language.

Last edited:
functions whose names don't even make sense at first glance.
Nomenclature in PHP sucks, but Perl is even worse. Carp? Cluck? My? Our? Sounds like Perl was written by some giggly "random" sixth-graders. Worse than that, virtually none of Perl's functions have self-explanatory names. Look at this mess. q? Or do you want qr, or qw? qx? Maybe qq?

Python sucks slightly more than PHP in this regard.

Just the "it has the same structure" argument.
A great argument. I don't want to read a treatise every time I look up the purpose of a function (or "module").

What's the matter? Are you too used to that function soup that PHP's riddled with?
There is no benefit in separating built-in functions into "modules." Unnecessary complexity is bad.

Python ships with majority of Linux distributions (obviously, because software like yum was made in Python), and you are free to quote me and the . You're also forgetting that the user can optionally run it as CGI, or use the /cgi-bin, which was made exactly for that; running programs as CGI. You're free to quote me and the Python page confirming this.
CGI is poor support, like I said. Very few Web servers have mod_python.

Also, prove that PHP > Python/Perl. You've claimed that they suck, but I don't see any justification.
My justification is that the code is unreadable and under realistic conditions (CGI) runs slowly. Besides that, you have to download half of cpan.org to get any Perl application to work, whereas PHP has built-in support for essentials like MySQL. That's because PHP was designed for the Web, and Perl and Python were not.

I've used Python for some trivial non-Web stuff and would use it again, even though the grammar is terrible (braces pls). Perl is a useless abomination and I would never consider using it for anything.

I'm skimping on parts of your post because it's 4AM.

Nomenclature in PHP sucks, but Perl is even worse. Carp? Cluck? My? Our? Sounds like Perl was written by some giggly "random" sixth-graders. Worse than that, virtually none of Perl's functions have self-explanatory names. Look at this mess. q? Or do you want qr, or qw? qx? Maybe qq?

Notice how the list is actually organized. It is alphabetical. Heck, it even describes what a function does. And also notice how the naming of the functions is more consistent than in PHP's. I don't know what you intended to prove, but you've proved one thing so far: Perl has a far better organized and structured documentation than PHP does.

Again, elaborate.

A great argument. I don't want to read a treatise every time I look up the purpose of a function (or "module"). There is no benefit in separating built-in functions into "modules." Unnecessary complexity is bad.

But making the finding of things harder to find is also not conventional either. The Python Documentation is easy to understand, and you can find whatever you're looking for without a hitch. Comments aren't everything, especially when it is just a feature that is used mostly by novices who are teaching novices how to worsen their coding.

You never mentioned CGI specifically, so it is hard to understand what you even mean by poor support. That, and mod_fastcgi is usually always an option in many webhosts due to the growing popularity and demand for something like Ruby on Rails. Another great Python implementation for Apache is mod_wsgi.

mod_python's not even recommended to run, because it is inefficient. The entire idea is that you can run Python using different implementations or what is available at your dispoal.

PHP supports CGI/FastCGI poorly, and mod_php eats up resources like a savant to no end. It even returns no-cache headers that waste your bandwidth for no reason. At least Python and company are consistent with implementations, unlike PHP is with CGI-ish technologies.

And your host... If it cannot go out of its way to add something that could actually benefit them and the users in the long run, then there is only one conclusion to make about it: Your host sucks.

My justification is that the code is unreadable and under realistic conditions (CGI) runs slowly.

Again, more details. CGI has been known to run slow, though CGI is just a method for running a program. It is not relevant to the language being good or bad at hand, so you should consider attacking from another angle. Poorly supported doesn't mean the same thing as PHP in other languages, unfortunately.

Besides that, you have to download half of cpan.org to get any Perl application to work, whereas PHP has built-in support for essentials like MySQL.

Because you're only left to download what you need. It's where the fucking term modularity came from. This is where you realize your zealotry and ignorance. Modularity is what makes the languages good, because it makes for more code reuse. PHP clearly doesn't have any of those terms running around the community, because they somehow think that shipping all of this by default is a good idea. Especially if I don't even use half the functions that come with it. Some devout PHP "programmers" don't even know what the hell PEAR/PECL is, because they're focusing on remaking shoddy implementations of something that was done in a much better way. That's not all, though. They seem to have two different systems for those with differing views on how extras are handled in PHP. One for C, and one for PHP. What a concept. :}

That's because PHP was designed for the Web, and Perl and Python were not.

I've seen this argument before, and it won't work here. Perl was made for processing text. Text is relevant to the web, as with Python, except it is general purpose. Just because you have a shoddy implementation coming in the form of an Apache module known as mod_php does not mean that we

I've used Python for some trivial non-Web stuff and would use it again, even though the grammar is terrible (braces pls). Perl is a useless abomination and I would never consider using it for anything.

You're one to talk about bad grammar. Did it surprise you when PHP announced New Namespace separators?

The lack of braces isn't even a problem. You're making it seem like one. Its simple and an easy to grasp concept, and the whitespace perfectly compliments the lack of braces. Python encourages lazy typing, and lazy typing also magically led to cleaner and more elegant code. Maybe before making the attempt of criticizing other languages for the shortcomings you're making up (they just seem to be nitpicks, and not actual valid points), you should fix up all of your posts foremost of all.

And no, you're not winning. Better go take out your auto-registration/spam bots now.

Nomenclature in PHP sucks, but Perl is even worse. Carp? Cluck? My? Our?
What on earth is confusing about my/our?

carp/cluck are rarely used; croak() is the most common from that module, which fits well with die(). Carp in general is usually only used by third-party code or for debugging, though.

Worse than that, virtually none of Perl's functions have self-explanatory names. Look at this mess. q? Or do you want qr, or qw? qx? Maybe qq?
There is a tricky balance to strike here. PHP has long inconsistent names that makes you write more names than functionality, which easily obscures what your code is actually doing. Perl likes to make commonly-used functionality quick to write and read.

Perl certainly has its own dialect, yes. I don't recommend it much to beginners. But if you bother learning it, it's a pretty powerful and flexible language for whatever you may care to use it for, and only difficult to read when written by an idiot or a showoff (which goes for any language).

Pardon? Everything in Python has a brief but simple and obvious name.

There is no benefit in separating built-in functions into "modules." Unnecessary complexity is bad.
The point is organization and only getting what you actually need. Python has a whole slew of builtins. Your options are:
1. Give them all a prefix like module_*, effectively doubling the name of every function name, even though any given file will more than likely only use a fraction of them at best. This makes code harder to read and a slog to write.
2. Just use bare names, which makes it confusing what exactly each one does and effectively creates thousands of reserved names that no programmer can use. This makes code a pain in the ass to write and documentation potentially confusing.
3. Put them in modules so programmers can pick just the ones they want, with minimal hassle and short names. You can even rename them when importing in the even that you really really want to use a simple name that's taken in a module. Modules also organize documentation into sections naturally, rather than having arbitrary boundaries created by the language maintainers. The only pitfall here is that you're complaining that you have to add an extra line at the top of your file.

You seem to have this irrational crusade against higher-level organization (even as you call Perl and Python "low-level"), but the only reason you've ever given is that it's "not necessary". Surprise; nor are arrays or hashes or loops or function calls. They're all inventions of language designers seeking to clear away clutter that programmers have to write over and over, leaving more potential for error.

So.. pick one that actually supports the software you want to use.

My justification is that the code is unreadable
Good lord, Python is way more readable than PHP.

Perl, well. If you come from C, PHP is easier to read. If you come from shell scripting, Perl is easier to read. If you come from a fresh background, I'm not sure it makes any difference, but Perl is generally fairly consistent and I would dare to say it is moreso than PHP.

and under realistic conditions (CGI) runs slowly.
Would you use a server with no mod_php for running PHP scripts?

You act like people are going to pick a host at random and then decide what they actually want to run on it.

Besides that, you have to download half of cpan.org to get any Perl application to work--
What happened to "realistic conditions"? Any server with Perl and MySQL supported is going to have pretty much whatever you need from CPAN already installed. CPAN is hardly difficult to use, anyway.

That's because PHP was designed for the Web, and Perl and Python were not.
What does "designed for the Web" even mean? It did "import cgi" for you?

I've used Python for some trivial non-Web stuff and would use it again, even though the grammar is terrible (braces pls).
from __future__ import braces

You claim to hate line noise, but that's all braces are. They are noise for the parser that is entirely unnecessary.

Last edited:

Right, sorry, I forgot this was a better idea:
http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-escape-string.php
http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.maxdb-escape-string.php
http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.sqlite-escape-string.php
http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-escape-string.php

Escaping strings in PHP sure is fun!

Geneva said:
My justification is that the code is unreadable and under realistic conditions (CGI) runs slowly. Besides that, you have to download half of cpan.org to get any Perl application to work, whereas PHP has built-in support for essentials like MySQL.

http://ca.php.net/manual/en/mysql.setup.php

Perhaps you should read the excellent PHP manual to find out that, actually, it's not built in. You actually have to compile it with support for MySQL. So, instead of simply installing a module, we now have to recompile the entire interpreter. Nice. Real nice. What if we don't have the privileges for that? This leads me to believe you have never compiled anything on your own - especially PHP. MySQL is not enabled by default. You'd know this if you had done it.

To add insult to injury, there's both MySQL and MySQLi for PHP.

Granted, it would be rare for a server to not have MySQL support compiled. However..

Geneva said:
... it is as likely as this. Do your research before purchasing a server.

Also, for the love of God, consider doing research before making outlandish claims:
http://xodian.net/serendipity/index.php?/archives/27-Benchmark-PHP-vs.-Python-vs.-Perl-vs.-Ruby.html

and:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=python&lang2=php

Look at how many times Python is better than PHP! And see those 3 that say "no PHP"? Right.

Back
Top Bottom