• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Harry Potter

Okay so some relatives recently went to Harry Potter land or whatever it's called and they shared the photos they took. Lots of stuff there bugged my nerd senses, though mainly that was the stuff that was for children so I guess it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't say it was directed at children but more for the demographic of Harry Potter. I actually thought it was pretty adult-oriented, with perhaps only one ride being directed towards kids. It makes sense too because the Wizarding World is a financial hotspot and you may as well appeal to the ones paying. Unrelated to the paragraph but butterbeer is good. Really good.

I heard that the Wizarding World was going to stay open for only 2 years but I guess due to its popularity (I went at the beginning of August and there was a line to get to the Wizard World inside Islands of Adventure), they're going to keep it open and expand it (they're knocking over a section of the park to make way). I'd be really open to coming back in a few years.

My sister worked in a shop on the street that inspired Diagon Alley, I went with Mhals' family to the place in Cornwall with the caves that little!Voldy hung out in, I live a stone's throw away from places JKR nabbed names from (Ottery St. Mary, Budleigh Salterton), I've been to Kings Cross (and lol'd that JKR got the station wrong)...

I don't need no Harry Potter theme park )<

*begin rant; possible spoilers, I dunno*

I've loved the series since the first book. The day Deathly Hallows came out, I was in the middle of working, and I took my 15 minute lunch break to go to the supermarket in the same shopping center to buy it. I spent that entire shift reading it.

I think Order of the Phoenix tops my list in terms of the books. You (or, at least, I) really can feel the hate towards Umbridge. Either HBP or Deathly Hallows comes next, followed by the other. Then Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Sorcerer's Stone, and finally Goblet of Fire. Not that I disliked GoF, but... it didn't really feel like part of the story until the end. It felt to me more like a filler episode of a TV series where nothing truly important happens.

As for the movies... I agree with what seems to be the general consensus that they get better as they go. Their biggest problem is that there's just not enough time to get the same emotion and feeling as the books do. OotP really disappointed me. As was said earlier in the thread, it felt like a series of short clips strung together. The first time I saw it with a friend, we turned to each other and went "where's the other half of the book?". I still liked the movie, but there was just so much missing. And I hated how they handled the fight scene, and the ministry infiltration in general. I mean, not that it was bad, but it was just too damn short.

I almost felt the same with HBP, because they cut out a lot of the memories about Voldemort. That's probably my favorite of the movies though (because Bonnie Wright is bloody gorgeous). My main concern with this one is that it felt like it focused too much on the romantic relationships. But the scene where the Weasley's house is attacked by Bellaxtrix and Fenrir... My choice for best scene. You just feel so bad for them.

Anyways, counting backwards, fourth movie was pretty much the same as the book, where it felt like a filler until the end, but it was okay. PoA's time travel plot was a little bleh, and I wish they'd handled the scene where they meet Sirius face-to-face better, but overall, I liked it. Chamber of Secrets was better than the book. I didn't really like Sorcerer's Stone much, but I blame that on the young age of the actors.

I'm looking forward to how they handle the 7th (and 8th) movie(s). I'm a bit disappointed that they split it (mostly because my first thought is "nothing happens in the first half of the book!" even though when I think about it, there was more going on than it felt at the time), but as long as they do it well, I'll be happy. Oh, and they'd better get the Battle of Hogwarts perfect.

*end rant*

Oh I love Harry Potter, I was not initially interested in the series but once I got started in the eigth grade about seven/eight years ago I got hooked. I lost interest after the first chapter of the fourth book and after the fifth so it took me a while to read some of the series but it was always hard to put down once I had it open. The seventh was one of my favorites, and I can not wait to see the first part of the film for my birthday.

It's a very creative and amazing world she has created and her imagination inspires me as an aspiring author myself.

HEY SADSACKS I love HP. LIKE VERNE I love the world more than I love like, the plot. SO MUCH SO that um I run a Harry Potter roleplay so. :B The crowning moments of awesome for the entire series are in the seventh book.

NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH

and

McGonagall leading the desks and chairs of Hogwarts into battle.

/thread

so i love harry potter. i love it so much. it's pretty much my entire childhood.

I always really loved Peeves and can't understand why they took him out of the movies ;;

He has some of the most awesome moments ever:

Unscrewing the chandelier the wrong way for Umbridge, with McGonagall correcting him

Singing a song when Voldemort dies

Saluting Fred and George as they sail out the window, telling him to give Umbridge hell for them

Possessing the suits of armor at Christmas and singing rude lyrics to caroling tunes

Throwing moldy peanuts at Myrtle

I always really loved Peeves and can't understand why they took him out of the movies ;;

He has some of the most awesome moments ever:

Unscrewing the chandelier the wrong way for Umbridge, with McGonagall correcting him

Singing a song when Voldemort dies

Saluting Fred and George as they sail out the window, telling him to give Umbridge hell for them

Possessing the suits of armor at Christmas and singing rude lyrics to caroling tunes

Throwing moldy peanuts at Myrtle

You know what the saddest part of the lack of Peeves is? They had actually cast and filmed him for the first film before removing the role. Such a thing was also done in Eclipse; I feel badly for the hard working actors who end up with such misfortunes as this.

Personally my favorite Peeves line of all time, the final book; VOLDY IS MOLDY!
ROFL!

Last edited:
I was confused when they announced that the movie was going to be split, makes more money I suppose. But as mentioned before they should get the Battle of Hogwarts right or the director and producers wake up to me at the foot of their bed with a sledge hammer.

They've announced where the split is going to be, around Chapter 24 where Voldy gets the Elder Wand. I guess that works for the movie, but still.... I want the whole movie!

I felt that Harry should have died in the final book; I don't know it just would have felt.... right. But bringing him back, and that epilogue was written like a fanfiction!

So you're saying Voldemort should have won?
Hmmm...now that would have been something, quite a shocker that's for sure. Or They both could have died in the process since he was the last horacrux(Sp? Sorry I would look it up but I am falling asleep here at almost 2am). That would have made sense actually, I must admit there was quite a fanfiction feel to the epilogue.

More along the lines of Harry dies as he is one of the Horcruxes, and then of Neville kills Nagini, another one, and that leaves Voldy able to die for real... but this "Jesus" version of Harry coming back from the dead, just seems wrong and a tad childish. Yes I understand that it's a childrens book, but it seems that over the last three books it's grown quite a lot and I think that the readers that started with it as a childs story that have grown alongside Harry should get a better story... Though note this is more my personal opinion than anything....

And Lupin and Tonks' deaths, just thrown at us like that, kinda pissed me off because they were my two favorite characters.

More along the lines of Harry dies as he is one of the Horcruxes, and then of Neville kills Nagini, another one, and that leaves Voldy able to die for real... but this "Jesus" version of Harry coming back from the dead, just seems wrong and a tad childish. Yes I understand that it's a childrens book, but it seems that over the last three books it's grown quite a lot and I think that the readers that started with it as a childs story that have grown alongside Harry should get a better story... Though note this is more my personal opinion than anything....

And Lupin and Tonks' deaths, just thrown at us like that, kinda pissed me off because they were my two favorite characters.

I could not agree more regarding Lupin and Tonks, Lupin mostly that really blind sighted me and upset me. It also kind of disappointed me that we don't see Lupin as a werewolf but the one time in the third book.

I am not sure I would call it a kids book with so much death; discrimination, and violence. You can almost call the entire saga the fictional embodiment of WWII think about it; Voldemort hates and slaughters innocent muggles and mudbloods(the Potters having gone into hiding as the Jews needed too such as Anne Frank and her family). He's pretty much freaking Hitler except for having the specific target of Harry over all others!

The Death Eaters in addition to the Nazis, can also be compared to the KKK and actually are in the Goblet of Fire film via the design of their costumes. I was actually pissed they destroyed them in the Order of the Phoenix film. The KKK costumes were very symbolic and powerful.

I hate that ride.

Did anyone else read the books out of order? I read books 2-4 first, then 1, then 5-7, personally.

Any fanfic recommendations? I've got some:

Her series about the Marauders reading the books along with various other characters is love~

My best friend and I read a fantasic fanfic on Fronzkiefeint years ago; it was about a young orphan girl whom was birthed by Lilly and Snape, Snape having been influenced by a love potion which still at times effects him. It was so brilliant; but this was years ago and in addition to the story not seeming to have a real ending as it was left very open, I believe the website closed a long time ago.

Why are we putting stuff in spoiler tags? DH is like three years old now! ANYWAY I'd basically tell anyone to read the Sacrifices Arc by an author called lightningonthewave. She wrote the entire series in a year, and it's basically a massive, massive AU that features each book except DH. She managed to put out a huge chapter daily, and I really, really loved it.

Might not be ideal for everyone, though, especially <18s idk.

Didn't watch the movies. Don't plan on watching the movies.
The seventh book I finished around christmas 3 years ago (so I was 11-ish). It's the one book I had to stay up till 10 (which is late when you're 11) just to finish. I think I'm going to reread them, simply because I WAS 11 when I read them, so I didn't really get them.

*list of wonderful Peeves stuff*

On this note:

OH POTTER, YOU ROTTER, OH WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
YOU'RE KILLING OFF STUDENTS, YOU THINK IT'S GOOD FUN~

So uh I love the series. Been reading them since...second grade?

The movies could be better, but they really are awesome. (except for when the theater you're watching them in has very screwy sound so the long notes go all wavery and it's hilarious and the whole theater starts wondering why the hell two teenage girls just started laughing hysterically)

I love the bits of foreshadowing presented in them too (though they can get pretty obvious), specifically when
Harry and Dumbledore are talking about Horcruxes and Harry touches the ring and that whole flash-of-memories thing occurs.
(I was watching it with a friend who hadn't read the books, and when we saw that scene she asked me "Harry's one of those Horcrux thingies, isn't he?")

Deathly Hallows Part One needs to come out. Like, now.

Why are we all upset about lupin and tonks it is a war. We do not look at people and go 'oh, that hero guy is friends with these people, don't kill them' if we are fighting against that hero guy. We don't take time to scrutinize the enemy before we fight, or we'll get killed ourselves. There is no reason that they would not be killed -- especially Lupin and Tonks, who aside from being major players in the Potter/Dumbledore side of the war were also known enemies of specific Death Eaters. Hell, had anyone fighting for Voldemort seen them, they would have probably killed them specifically! I back Rowling's choice on the deaths in the war entirely. It was a fine decision, seeing as there is little mercy to be found in a war like that one.

The Death Eaters in addition to the Nazis, can also be compared to the KKK and actually are in the Goblet of Fire film via the design of their costumes. I was actually pissed they destroyed them in the Order of the Phoenix film. The KKK costumes were very symbolic and powerful.

The KKK-style hoods in the fourth movie were chosen specifically for their silhouettes, as confirmed by costume designer Jany Temime. I didn't like the design, nor did many people. The death eaters at that time were still frightened, and I doubt they would have gone OH LET'S WHIP OUT THE CONE HATS to meet the man that may have killed them on the spot.

all my good fanfiction is kinda smutty :3

Back
Top Bottom