• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Hillsborough Disaster 23rd Anniversary

Bulbamew

Bring on Omega Ruby!
23 years ago today, at the Hillsborough Football Stadium in Sheffield, England, 96 supporters of Liverpool Football Club lost their lives in a crush.

As you can read in my profile, I am a supporter of the club. I was not alive in 1989 when it happened, but many, many members of my family and family friends were there on the day. Of course they were. It was a joyous occasion. We were in the semi-finals of the FA Cup! All we needed to do was to defeat Nottingham Forest Football Club and we were in the final at the grand Wembley Stadium!

It was supposed to be a night to remember at the Hillsborough Stadium, but for good reasons. But there were so many fans of our team there, and it overcrowded. Of course, the poice did nothing to control it. And six minutes into the match, it was far too late. As for my family, most of them survived and were only injured. Some of them perished, including my would-be uncle. The match was of course abandoned. It was played later on, and we won it, we won it for the 96. Out of interest, we went on to win the final against our Liverpool rivals Everton Football Club.

94 died on the night and two more died in hospital. And ever since, on the 15th of April, no matter what is happening, all that matters to me is the memorial service at Anfield (the home ground of LFC). I was there today.

Yesterday, Liverpool were in the FA Cup semi finals again, against Everton. We won the match 2-1 following a minute of silence before the match. Both Liverpool and Everton fans respected the moment. The club captains laid bouquets in memory. And the Everton fans, even in defeat, sang with us in their memory.

Earlier on tonight, was the other semi-final, between London teams Tottenham and Chelsea. They were supposed to honour the silence as well, and their match, which was today, was held on the actual anniversary, the exact day, unlike ours.

Well, I was infuriated with the events on the night. When the fans of Chelsea decided that they would rather loudly sing about their own team during the designated moment rather than just offer one minute of their time to honour the deaths of the 96, it got me thinking "Have I ever felt so angry? Have I ever been so distraught?". Chelsea won the match, so now we must face them in the final. We must do it, we must honour the 96 and take out those heartless Blues.

Any other Liverpool fans on here can discuss the disaster and the events of the Chelsea fans, if any. Others of course can join - you don't need to be a fan of the team or indeed know anything about football (soccer for Americans) to know what a disgrace the Chelsea fans were.

Sorry for rambling, but it is a very serious issue for me that means a lot to me as a fan of Liverpool. Thanks for reading if you did. Y.N.W.A

Back
Top Bottom