• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Death Penalty

But that wouldn't be much of a punishment now, would it? The point of the judicial system is to bring people to justice for the crimes they've committed, not to let the criminal choose what gets done to them.
I'm completely against the death penalty, and one of the reasons I hate it so much is because if a criminal gets it, they die swiftly and (what we assume to be) painlessly. The victim/family of the victim has to live with the pain they've caused for the rest of thier lives - why should the criminal get the easy way out?

The victim/family of the victim has to live with the pain they've caused for the rest of thier lives - why should the criminal get the easy way out?

She has a point. The death penalty is sort of an easy way out. Instead of a long, drawn out punishment they probably deserve, they just go off without any need to reflect on what they've done...a chance to stew in it. That, I feel, is a more effective punishment. Like when your parents, instead of yelling at you, get dissapointed.

I mean you could say that being executed is better than spending your entire life in prison in the same cell has a mentally unstable rapist

But then there's the people who say that no human life should ever be taken whatever

I don't really like the death penalty because it's the easy way out of punishment

...Why is that bad? The point of punishment is to reform them into an individual who will no longer commit such atrocities. If they choose to die, would that not accomplish the goal of eliminating the criminal, even if there's nothing to come out of the other end?

...Why is that bad? The point of punishment is to reform them into an individual who will no longer commit such atrocities. If they choose to die, would that not accomplish the goal of eliminating the criminal, even if there's nothing to come out of the other end?

i barely understood what you said, but i can try

well yes it would accomplish the goal of eliminating the criminal, but what is the criminal learning from being executed? nothing because he's dead

i just think you should live the rest of your life out being punished rather than not living anything at all

If they choose to die, then they will just do it in a less humane manner in prison. Suicides are messier and more painful because they don't have the proper supplies.

If they choose to die, then they will just do it in a less humane manner in prison. Suicides are messier and more painful because they don't have the proper supplies.
i don't think they should be able to choose to die, but i guess you could kill your self in a cell or something

eh i think this debate is over my head

i'm not good at this stuff, i get confused too easily

i'd really rather not, just for the sake of not sounding like an idiot, i'm already lost. but if you want me to continue or something i guess...

...Then they're dead, by their own hand, rather than other people taking their life into their own hands.

And if they would rather die, would you really be opposed to allowing them to die by another's hands if it meant they wouldn't have to suffer so long?

Really, I don't care. :| If he wants to die so damn badly, then let him. Don't use resources better used elsewhere on killing him.

Im not sure what I believe. I think, that if a criminal plans to become a better person in the future, and really help out his fellow man, give him prison-time. But if he is just somebody in-and-out of prison frequently, then there's no reason for him to be alive. He wastes resources.

I know that's mean, but seriously. A murderer needs some kind of punishment, and if he plans to just commit a crime again, I say kill him.

Punishment has not anything to do with justice. The death penalty and life imprisonment are equally terrible; they should both be avoided.

Like somebody mentioned a while back, I think that we should use prisoners to do useful things... build stuff or something. :3 Why just kill them or have them rot away in cells when they can work?

Back
Top Bottom