• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Colours and days of the week

Yeah, uh...

I really don't associate weekdays with colours. It doesn't compute in my mind.

Now, months? I guess I do. January's blue and yellow, February's red, March is green, April is pink, May is yellow, June is also yellow, July is magenta, August is maroon, September is a navy blue, October is orange and black, November is brown and gold, and December is green and red.

Yeah, some of these are due to holidays.

Just going to say what colours I have for months - none, really. Weird. Instead I just have 'feelings' for each month, more so than most people who just go AUGUST = SUMMER YAY though.

For shapes... circle is red, square is blue and triangle is green. And something else is yellow but I can't quite figure out what it is. Cylinders are purple...

Weird. But synthesia is awesome. :D

I subconsciously assign colours to absolutely everything, but days...

Monday: Red
Tuesday: Light-ish blue, hinging on aqua
Wednesday: Light purple, possibly violet
Thursday: A steely grey with a hint of blue
Friday: A dull-ish gold
Saturday: Bright yellow, slightly orange
Sunday: Similar to Saturday but a little darker

Indeed. It's called synesthesia, and works for many different things, like months, letters and numbers, songs and names.

Well... /yes/, color-temporal form as this thread describes is technically a form of synesthesia... but I wouldn't say everyone who can rattle off a list like here is a synesthete. It's not 'I'm thinking about it, and I'd say Tuesday is pink because Tuscany gave me the Pink Bow' or 'December looks like red and green! Bows and christmas trees, silly!' It's always just ~there~, and wouldn't take you any more thought than to think, "okay, even though 3 is just a symbol with no syllables to tell me how to pronounce it, I'm going to call it 'three' because that's how I've done it for the whole of my previous life". That would make as much sense as a synesthete saying "let me think... 'd' should evoke blue-purple plaid, right? yeah, that looks right. and then 'r' is the one that feels like a carrot..."

I'm not saying these people don't honestly feel some connection to what they're connecting. I'm just saying, why not try again in a year and see if the answers hold. For the most part, I sincerely doubt it.

(By the way, what stat were you using for 'most people'? Wiki says 1 in 23 which would mean, rounding up to compensate the higher number of girls on this forum and the higher likelihood for girls to have it, roughly 20 people on this forum have the chance of having some form of synesthesia. It might be [general-specific] you, congrats! but then you've got a 95.5% chance of ~not~ having any sort of synesthesia at all. so... don't bet on it :D)

The brain has a tendency to form patterns that aren't there. I mean, this is cute, and when I was [still general] your age, I thought all these sorts of things too - I was a synesthetic empath! I could see auras and predict the future in my dreams! But then I grew up and now I don't. (believe I can. I never really could, of course.)

Also, if you're into this sort of stuff, I highly recommend A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass. The story of a synesthetic girl! It's nicely-written.

Anyway, on topic. Monday is a really hot red, sort of darkened burned spots on some bits, and thin and brittle like old paper; Tuesday is a cool, smooth but rough, kind of? like sandstone? yellow, yellow-brown... what was that word they used for Cassidy's hair... not gold, not blonde... oh well, something like that. Wednesday's water-blue, cool and trickly with just a hint of fuzziness, like a water stone with mold growing over, or what it feels like to run your fingers through a buzzcut. Thursday's solid, static, no-nonsense brown. Also sort of natury, mostly unpolished and... flaky? but definitely dark-brown, ranging from a kind of light-dark-brown to almost-black-dark-brown. Friday is sparkly, like mahou shoujo wand sparkles. Like that photoshop filter sparkle. And Friday's got striated gold and silver, like an ore. Actually it's almost unnaturally sparkly enough to be akin to glitter glue, except it's a lot heavier, so I call it an ore. Saturday is a cool black/gunmetal gray/... not so much /royal/ purple, much darker than that, but that general hue? And Saturday's kind of melty-gummy. Like silly putty that's been left out long enough but not long enough to break. Sunday is all pastels, mostly lilac and light, faded yellow and pink, the sort of things you'd see to paint a baby's room. Sunday's most aethereal, and doesn't really have a feeling-sense... it feels like popping a bubble, or like steam without the heat or a sea breeze without the scent. It's aethereal, and so very ephemeral (except continuously ephemereal, which is even harder to describe). (note: the colors are terribly terribly incorrect, I'd need at least 100x100 photo examples if not 3D renders, but I cba and so tried to get sort of maybe close with what bbcode gives.)

Saying which I like 'best' is like... 'which of your toes do you like best'. You've always had each of your toes, and you never really think about them until someone brings them up in discussion, but do you have a favorite? You could say "my favorite is the big toe because it's most useful" - and here I might say "who doesn't like friday, getting off from school?!". or maybe "I think the fourth one's toenail is prettiest", and I'd say "I really like saturday's color and feel, as well as wednesday's texture and friday's colors". There's a myriad of characteristics to consider.

And here I don't know if I do have synesthesia - I'd have to know what another sees to compare, which is obviously impossible. I am honestly unsure if I'm making all this up or if there's some kind of framework for it in my head: prossibly a mix of both? I'm guessing probably 80% it's all bs, 15% it's bs to some point, and 5% 'you're scientifically rigorously abnormal! hurray!'

... god, I think the caffiene in those painkillers is getting to me. TL;DR: you probably don't have it, but it's still cool, whatever, rock on.

Last edited:
Monday - Blue.
Tuesday - Stainless steel colour.
Wednesday - Lime.
Thursday - Blue-grey.
Friday - Red.
Saturday - polished orange-brown.
Sunday - Yellow.

When I try to go through the days of the week and pick a color for each, I end up giving them the colors of the rainbow in order.

Tailsy said:
Colours are for sounds.
Yeah, this. I only associate bits of perceptions with bits of other perceptions and senses.

Yeah, this. I only associate bits of perceptions with bits of other perceptions and senses.

I find this difficult with sounds and tastes. There aren't enough colours for sounds. I'm more likely to remember the object which produces that sound rather than hear a woodpecker and go "ooh! Brown!"

Tastes is a little different. Colours remind me of colouring crayons which, knowing from first hand experience as a child, aren't nutrition in a stick. That and they taste like crap.

What colours do everyone associate with shapes, if any?
For me

Square - Blue
Circle - Red
Triangle - Green
Heart - Pink (kinda obvious)
Rectangle - Light Blue/Green
Diamond - Dark Blue/Light Purple
Pentagon - Green
Octagon - Light Blue

Lets see... what else to I associate with colours...
The only one I've got is square = purple, because of Spanish class.

What about numbers? Five is red, to me. Some of my friends associate certain personalities with numbers, ex. 5 is bossy =D

I think it would be amazing to have synesthesia, then again apparently it messes up math skills (when trying to add two numbers whose colors have nothing to do with each other) so that'd suck.

I also associate the days with shapes, so i'm adding those too.

Monday: Red(scarlet), Triangle
Tuesday: Sky Blue, Oval
Wednesday: A sorta pinkey purple color, Paralellogram
Thursday: A brownishey color like tree trunks, Square
Friday: A happy yellow, Trapazoid
Saturday: A soft gray like bird down, heart shape
Sunday: Silver, Sword

Wow, never really noticed it before, but I guess I do:

Monday- Red
Tuesday- Blue
Wednesday- Yellow
Thursday- Green
Friday- Purple

Square- Red
Triangle- Yellow
Circle- Light Blue
Hexagon- Orange
Octagon- Yellow-Orange
Diamond- Turquoise
Pentagon- Yellow

Numbers are a bit harder...

What about letters? I think of "A" as a maroon color. I'm still working on the rest.

I think it would be amazing to have synesthesia, then again apparently it messes up math skills (when trying to add two numbers whose colors have nothing to do with each other) so that'd suck.

And when learning other languages, because the color for an English word would be different than the (Whatever language's), which makes it harder to remember.

The Name of This Book is Secret! hehe, great book.(About synesthesia sorta)

I don't know about numbers, since there are, i don't know, about an infinity of them, i can't really figure out which ones i want for what days.

Monday: Pink(Red-ish)
Tuesday: Forest green
Wednesday: Deep sky blue
Thursday: An even deeper sky blue
Friday: Red(not bright)
Saturday: A...depressing blue
Sunday: Bright happy yellow!

Square - Blue
Circle - Red
Triangle - Green
Heart - Bright pink!
Rectangle - Light Blue
Diamond - Very light glowing Blue

I do not associate days with colors. Other things with colors and other things with days but not days and colors.

What colours do everyone associate with shapes, if any?

Square - Red
Circle - Orangey yellow
Triangle - Green
Heart - Sort of mauve...?
Rectangle - Light Blue/Green
Diamond - A mid-violet thingy...
Pentagon - Light-mid-blue
Octagon - Dark-ish blue

Monday: Red
Tuesday: Orange
Wednesday: Blue
Thursday: Dark orange
Friday: Black
Saturday: Gray
Sunday: White or yellow, not sure

Square: Orange
Circle: Blue
Triangle: Pink/orange
Heart: Red
Rectangle: Orange
Diamond: White
Pentagon: not sure, maybe black?
Octagon: Orange

So I'm not insane. :D

Monday - blue
Tuesday - green
Wednesday - a darkish yellow
Thursday - I'm not really sure, perhaps brown.
Friday - red
Saturday - grey
Sunday - yellow, maybe.

Oh, and shapes,

Square - red
Circle - light blue
Triangle - yellow
Heart - red/pink
Rectangle - yellow
Diamond - white/grey
Pentagon - not sure
Octagon - orange