• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Absurdly lucky/unlucky moments

Ether's Bane

future Singaporean
Pronoun
he
You know the drill.

Literally a half-hour ago, this happened to me on PBR.

Gateway Colosseum, Trade Battle, Rank 3, against the Leader.

I'm using Sunflora, Kingler, and Sneasel.

He's using Zangoose, Bibarel, and Chansey.

Zangoose makes quick work of Sunflora and Kingler, leaving just Sneasel.

Zangoose uses Slash, taking Sneasel to 17/116 HP.

I use Counter to KO him.

He sends out Bibarel, and I use X-Scissor.

He misses with Hyper Fang.

I use Bite in hopes that he'll flinch, and lo and behold, he does!

I KO him with Bite, and he sends out Chansey.

I use Ice Punch on Chansey and freeze it.

I proceed to KO it with Ice Punch, thus beating the Colosseum Leader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Insanely lucky/unlucky moments

I believe that just about every time you narrowly evade death in a Nuzlocke run counts.

The first Pokemon I ever encountered in a shaking spot playing B/W was an Excadrill. Lv.40. And shiny.

Unluckiest? Missing Volkner's Electivire with my Leafeon's dig. And then being completely annihilated by a Fire Punch crit.

Unluckiest? Missing Volkner's Electivire with my Leafeon's dig. And then being completely annihilated by a Fire Punch crit.

?? that's not very possible.

in fact, pretty sure the simplest way to accomplish it is to take something else, reduce a pokémon's accuracy, baton pass to leafeon, and then maybe miss. but you'd pretty much have to be trying to do that to make it happen.

Ran into a shiny Steelix on Diamond; had it into the orange when it decided to use Double-Edge and knock itself out. ;.;

(Lucky stories are more fun but less memorable/eternally cringeworthy.)

The only non-event shiny I currently have is an Elekid. I was looking for one at the time, to get the hold item they can be found with. I consider it lucky that I think the first one I found was a shiny and had the hold item I was looking for.

Luckiest: I have never relied on luck in a game simple as Pokemon. (I did happen to run into a Chansey that i was looking for on the third encounter recently, in Blue.)

Unluckiest: Hmm, maybe when I was fighting Lance and his haxxed Aerodactyl's Rock Slide flinched me thrice in a row, causing me to almost lose the fight. Of course, I would never lose against a trainer as measly as Lance.

Luckiest: I have never relied on luck in a game simple as Pokemon. (I did happen to run into a Chansey that i was looking for on the third encounter recently, in Blue.)
well, who relies on luck? not the greatest of strategies, really

I'm pretty sure every time I've used a Poison Point pokemon in the elite four, I've gotten the hardest pokemon down to red, they've hit my pokemon, gotten hit by Poison Point and die in that turn. That's pretty neat.

I don't remember unlucky ones. But as for lucky ones...

Getting Feebas in Diamond. I just randomly decided to check the parts of the lake that were available without surfing just in case, and I found one of the Feebas tiles.

Also a less important one: I was just walking around that Gligar area in Black with Liepard on the first place. I tended to think "please be Icicle Crash" each time I used Assist, but it was mostly something else. And then I met a Gligar and, well...
My mind: Need... strong move...
Assist: *is Icicle Crash*

lucky: ran into my eleventh ever shiny just now: a raticate

unlucky: i already have a shiny raticate. and it was on a route that also has ponyta. WRYYYYYY

I have a shiny raticate, too! Maybe you could trade them off?

In any case, on the shinies thing: on the only shiny I ever bothered to chain, I found a shinx really easily.

Except I accidentally used fury swipes instead of false swipe, knocking it out in one hit.

Mai has also had shinies explode. But that's typical.

Most recent thing I can think of: this past weekend Mhals and I had one of many double battles against surskitty and Cirrus. In one match, Mhals' last Pokemon was an Escavelier and its Quick Claw activated three times in a row. We won :D

Luckiest: Catching Dialga with full health with one ultra ball on the first turn.

Unluckiest: Meeting a shiny Tangela. In the Safari Zone. It fled. D:

Luckiest: Earlier, I met my first shiny while training random pokemon, a Mareep.

Unluckiest: I was using my Cubone to fight it, and I hit Bone Club instead of Headbutt.

I believe that just about every time you narrowly evade death in a Nuzlocke run counts.

this, I was doing a mystery egg nuzlocke run. Bugsy's scyther used focus energy while my level 12 aron used head smash and lived with one HP. Boy my body tensed up as I saw that HP bar nearly drop to zero

I think my luckiest moment was when my last Pokemon, red-HP Togepi, managed to pull off a Metronomed Judgement on Cyrus's last 'mon in Celestic Town.

Against Maylene's Lucario with only my Togetic left.

"Just a little more! Hang in there, TOGETIC!"

"TOGETIC used Metronome!" *Finger waggle* "TOGETIC used Roar of Time!"

"Foe Lucario fainted!"

Luckiest: Meeting a shiny Nidoran M in the FireRed Safari Zone and managing to catch it before it ran away.

Unluckiest: Way too many to remember...

Man, what is up with everyone else's luck with shinies. In at least six years of actively playing Pokemon the only shinies I have ever seen are that stupid shiny Espeon in FR/LG's Battle Tower and the shiny Gyarados in the Lake of Rage, in short, only Pokemon that have specific programming to be shiny.

Actually, wait. I did get a shiny Turtwig over the GTS, which is almost certainly hacked.

And all this makes me want to cry because my friend, who is sort of new to Pokemon, caught a shiny Lugia (my favorite Pokemon to boot!).

Oh god my unlucky moment in LeafGreen.
Okay, so about a month ago I encountered my first shiny EVER (Red Gyarados doesn't count), a shiny Pidgey.
I had no Pokeballs.
And I was in the middle of a Nuzlocke.
Not too long after that, I spilled first blood.
D:
Oh, and I have since lost said LeafGreen.

My luckiest moment: Probably in SoulSilver when I was battling Morty. His Gengar was killing me, all I had left was Misty, my Togetic who was terribly underleveled(if I remember right), and he Metronome'd Substitute and proceeded to kill Gengar with Magical Leaf.
I may not be the biggest fan of the Togepi line, but I am never releasing Misty.
He might get a name change though.

Back
Top Bottom