• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Interesting maybe-coincidence: Latios/Latias design and a 1999 UFO photo

nothing to see here

...probably not posting here too much anymore.
Pronoun
he/him
While poking around on Facebook tonight, I stumbled across this page when one of my friends posted a link: http://www.ufointernationalproject.com/latest-news/atmospheric-monster-space/

Scrolling through, I noticed one pictured looked oddly familiar. Not the colors, of course (it's all gray here) but the shape is just bizarrely similar to a certain pair of Pokémon...

Italy_ufo_1999-300x161.jpg

Got me wondering if maybe this photograph or similar might have inspired the design of the "Latis." Pokémon get based on mythical critters all the time, including some that people actually search for in real life (Tsuchinoko = Dunsparce), and not always from Japanese mythology either... and we did get "little gray big-head aliens" Pokémon a couple generations later. So I don't think using supposed UFO/cryptid images as design inspiration is much of a stretch. I guess the big question is whether this image was widely known enough that Pokémon designers way over in Japan would've seen it in the time between 1999 and when the Ruby/Sapphire designs were finalized--kind of a scrunched time-scale, but I suppose it's possible if somebody on the team was into UFO photos.

Not an exact match, but the long neck/wider body/wings/little feet/sorta jet-like outline is definitely there. It even looks like there's a "white/lighter underside + darker colored upper parts" color pattern going.

Anyone else see a resemblance there?

I just figure that they designed the Latis to be aerodynamic, which UFOs tend to be (whether they're a deliberate hoax or just the literal kind)

Back
Top Bottom