• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are your religious beliefs?

What are your religious beliefs?

• Catholicism

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Protestantism

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Orthodoxy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-Protestant Reformed Christian

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Sunni Islam

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Shi'ite/Shia Islam

• Theravada Buddhism

• Mahayana Buddhism

• Zen/Tendai Buddhism

• Hinduism

• Sikhism

• Wicca

• Other Neopagan

• Judaism

• Atheist

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • None/don't know

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
I have beliefs. But it's not a religion, it's not atheism either. My beliefs spread from many religions and compiled from their symbolism, plus gathered from many sources that seek *enlightenment* in knowledge of life - which is a big factor to what I believe in.

It just keep adding, and it will comes being open-minded; not gullibility or ignorance. To me, truth is relative. And truth is always higher than any lies.

I might feel uncomfortable agreeing to other people's words at first, because my subconscious beliefs tend to take over. Though I learn to stopped that, I won't let my beliefs become a master of me.

I have my own philosophy.. I was once atheist, but when on a different journey in my mind. I never was born with a religion, but I went to athiest anyways? I'm not like many others... They reject or ignore what I believe, that's fine with them.

There's just hardly anyone else that talks to me feels the same thing anymore. How to know something the world doesn't, sort of like watching from this window. I see many groups of children playing in each section, but I've grown too old and lonely to join. I turn around and have other things to do.

Eh-heh..

Atheist. Satanism looks cool and all but doesn't the church (at least, the LaVeyan church, as that's all I've done my cursory research on so far) require a membership fee or dues? I don't feel like paying someone just to declare that I'm a materialistic (and selfish!) animal that people should either respect or gtf away from. :/ I mean, sure there's more to it than that, and whatever floats your boat, but... organized religion of any sort just doesn't do it for me. Even if I believed in, say, the Christian god I'd still hate church. I'd just be all "yo God and I are cool, all right?" and be on my way.

...okay, organized religion is actually a hell of a lot of fun to read/write about, but irl I don't want to touch it with a thirty-foot pole. I can believe what I believe without a support group/community/collective of other people, kthanks.

I have my own philosophy.. I was once atheist, but when on a different journey in my mind. I never was born with a religion, but I went to athiest anyways? I'm not like many others... They reject or ignore what I believe, that's fine with them.
Is not a philosophy. Logic error.

Is not a philosophy. Logic error.

Hello Caller, can you please be more descriptive in your message? When I use the term philosophy: "1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct." In that paragraph that you quoted I explained that I was born without religion, moved onto being an atheist, then moved onto rational investigations of beliefs in the world. People reject or ignore me because what I believe is information coupled from religion symbolism and events that comes from experience of myself and a few others with similar beliefs like mine. They never experienced it and shun me for saying so. Even though I am lonely for what I believe in, there are people who has similar beliefs to mine. Except that I don't have the opportunity to communicate with them anymore.

(Edit: I'm not starting anything up here, just that Caller's message was confusing to me a little. If this going to turn out into a 'passive aggression reply to reply' or 'revolt against the opposition', I'm just going to leave the topic.)

Last edited:
A poll was conducted in 2000 to see what percentage of the American population would vote for a "generally well qualified person for president" with different religious beliefs. 92% of the population would support a Jewish, Roman Catholic or Baptist, 79% would support a Mormon and 49% would support an atheist.

Q: Can you find the problem in this sentence?
Everything after 'beliefs' also that a mormon has more chances of becoming prez than an atheist. mus be the underwear

Hello Caller, can you please be more descriptive in your message? When I use the term philosophy: "1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct." In that paragraph that you quoted I explained that I was born without religion, moved onto being an atheist, then moved onto rational investigations of beliefs in the world. People reject or ignore me because what I believe is information coupled from religion symbolism and events that comes from experience of myself and a few others with similar beliefs like mine. They never experienced it and shun me for saying so. Even though I am lonely for what I believe in, there are people who has similar beliefs to mine. Except that I don't have the opportunity to communicate with them anymore.

(Edit: I'm not starting anything up here, just that Caller's message was confusing to me a little. If this going to turn out into a 'passive aggression reply to reply' or 'revolt against the opposition', I'm just going to leave the topic.)
A philosophy is an outlook on life, a rule you abide by or a belief about the universe, life, etc. Your message seemed to be more a life story after "I have my own philosophy" rather than an actual philosophy.

There's no real reason why you need to put all the different Christian sub-groups there, whilst putting most other main religions in one bit. All the Christian sub-groups are Christian.

...that's what I think, anyway. XD Feel free to prove me wrong if you know your stuff.

I put 'other'. Normally I'd put agnostic, but I'd like to say that religion is a bit of a naff idea, and you should have your own beliefs. I fail to see why you should listen to what a book says and actually believe it. I gradually found I believed in many different parts of religions... like having many gods in Shinto, with bits and pieces of morals from Buddhism, Nature etc. I try not to believe in an actual 'God' because it's really stupid.

If we're humans, who are given no actual signs of God being real, it should be obvious that we shouldn't be supposed to actually believe in him. What does he want to do, sit in heaven and watch to see how many little stick-figures are weird enough to actually believe the crap that the Bible offers as your staple faith?

If so, I adamantly refuse to believe in him. Even if he's real, and I go up to purgatory, I'll be like, 'yeah, well, I don't care if I'm a good person and deserve to go to heaven! I don't want to be forgiven~ I'd rather burn in hell for all eternity than stay in a fantasyland with you, you ***hole. =D' And then he can go :o *gasp* and thunderbolt me or something. No, wait, that was Zeus.

Er... yeah, that went rather off-topic. But yes. I have faiths, but they are random little things I like to have fun with - I have lots of theories, that I wouldn't mind too much if they were disproved completely or something - that I don't preach to every single day of my life. And then there are ideas about the universe, life, and human nature, that have nothing to do with a god.

I think you should believe what you want, and believe what you think is right. If a baby wasn't shown a Bible or told of God, would they know who he is? No.

Last edited:
I'm the only Wiccan! Whoo!

There's a lot of athiests here. A lot. o_o It's all good. ^_^

There's no real reason why you need to put all the different Christian sub-groups there, whilst putting most other main religions in one bit. All the Christian sub-groups are Christian.

They say they're Christian. Recall I'm Buddhist, how am I supposed to know? :p

The other main religions did get split. I think Jews got the short end of the stick here, as I failed to put Orthodox, Reform, or other. (can't think of the other groups right now.)

If any Jews are reading, YOUR FOOD IS DELICIOUS!!

Anyway, no other Vedic (Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, and thusly related religions) brethren to back me up here? ;~;

Uuh, I was raised by a Catholic and an, uh... athiest/agnostic/doesn't care either way-ist and I'm leaning more towards non-denominational Christianity.

Someone really went to town specifying as many religions as possible. XD

Anyway, like a surprisingly vast proportion of members polled here, I'm a devout atheist.

The Black Adder said:
Whatever happened to loving thy neighbor?
As our Lord said, "Love thy neighbour- unless he's Turkish, in which case kill the bastard!
That. XD

Though as someone else once said, Heaven's nice for the climate but I'd rather go to Hell, for the company.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom