• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Orchestra vs. Sangfroidish

nastypass

that bitch what arranges the blocks
Pronoun
they/her/hers
[size=+2]Orchestra vs Sangfroidish[/size]

Format: 2v2 Single
Style: Set
DQ: Seven days
Damage Cap: 20%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Moves with a base power of more than 60
Arena Description: Beginner Arena
Wide landscape with nothing to get in the way. Used typically for newbie trainers, sparring matches, etc.
Profile link: Pingas
Additional Notes: Basic Pokemon only. Nothing evolved.

Orchestra's active squad

mime-jr Mime Jr. the male Mime Jr. <Filter>
flabebe-blue Evangeline the female Flabébé (Blue Flower) <Flower Veil> @ Amulet Coin
ralts Serenade the female Ralts <Trace>
mudkip Mire the male Mudkip <Torrent>
petilil Diana the female Petilil <Own Tempo>

Sangfroidish's active squad

fennekin Quelana the female Fennekin <Blaze>
noibat Kalameet the male Noibat <Telepathy> @ Yache Berry
riolu Oscar the male Riolu <Inner Focus> @ Soothe Bell
meowth Domhnall the male Meowth <Pickup> @ Eviolite
ralts Gwyndolin the male Ralts <Synchronize>
drifloon Hindenburg the male Drifloon <Unburden>
honedge Artorias the male Honedge <No Guard> @ Dusk Stone
buizel Lutra the female Buizel <Swift Swim>
sandile Queen Anne the female Sandile <Intimidate> @ Lucky Egg
lillipup Rucks the male Lillipup <Vital Spirit>

Sangfroidish sends out
Orchestra sends out and commands
Sangfroidish commands
we wait.

Oh crap, I didn't even notice this had started. xD

Sending out Evangeline.

Commands: Attract >> Toxic >> Wish

Hope I'm doing things right so far.

Aw, whaddaya mean Drifloon doesn't get Taunt? >:P

Oh well, we can still duck round this a little, Hindy. Set up a Double Team first off, as many copies as you can manage. Throw that Toxic back with a Magic Coat, then give it a Charge Beam. Try to beef up the old sp attack while you're at it, there's a love.

Double Team ~ Magic Coat ~ Charge Beam

The Beginner Arena was nondescript, and so too was the arrival of the day's combatants. A light breeze blew in the fresh-cut grass, but not strongly enough to notice unless you were crouched down. The trainers took their places in the clearly-marked chalk boxes at regulation distance, and sent out their Pokémon at the standard 3 meters apart. On Sangfroidish's side of the field, a Drifloon floated lazily, staring at the Flabébé which Orchestra had sent out.

Orchestra [OO]
Evangeline (F) <Flower Veil> @Amulet Coin
flabebe-blue
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Status: Cheerily spinning around the stamen of her flower while humming Singin' in the Rain.

Sangfroidish [OO]
Hindy (M) <Unburden>
drifloon
Energy: 100%

-BEGIN ROUND 1-

At the sound of the referee's whistle, Hindy glided (glid?) to his left, and continued gliding to his left for some time. So did the 5 other apparent copies of him, which followed in the broad circle of blurry Drifloon that had formed around Evangeline. Evangeline looked around, unsure of who she should face for her first move. Ultimately she decided that it didn't matter; she looked cute from any angle! She hopped up onto her flower, and struck a pose that she thought simultaneously affected adorable and elegant. Hindy wasn't able to see some of the finer details at his speeds, but it worked. Each copy of his eyes lit up in unison, and a hint of a blush could be seen.

[Evangeline- HP: 100%, PP: 96%] [Hindy- HP: 100%, PP: 95%]​

Hindy was keen to please his new crush. He struggled to think of ways he could be more attractive, when his trainer's commands came to mind: Magic Coat! Surely that would please Evangeline! Fairy types like that sort of thing, right? He honestly didn't know, but he'd never felt this way about someone before, so who could blame him for trying? He did a little twirl through the air as he formed a layer of shining pink light around himself. Evangeline, for her part, gathered up a purple glob of poison from her flower that was nearly as big as she was (which, while impressive for her size, was still not very big). She threw the blob at the first copy of Hindy she saw. Hindy hardly registered the move as an attack on him. All he cared about was the fact that it bounced right off him, and now his darling was covered in a purple goop which was seeping into her skin!

[Evangeline- HP: 100%, PP: 92%] [Hindy- HP: 100%, PP: 91%]​

Hindy felt terrible. Evangeline was poisoned now, and it was his own fault for deflecting her attack! Even worse, his trainer wanted him to attack her directly now! He shut his eyes as he got ready to obey, unable to face his love in pain. Static began to shift from his rubbery skin to a point in front of him, forming a sparking yellow ball of electric energy. The charge let itself loose in the form of a beam, which struck the grass somewhere to Evangeline's left. Hindy breathed a sigh of relief when he opened his eyes to see her unharmed. Evangeline tried to ignore the sparks, and the pain of poison, and focused on her faith in Jirachi. Though she could feel herself drained at the mere thought, she knew in her heart that the wishmaker heard all requests.

-END ROUND 1-

Orchestra [OO]
flabebe-blue
Health: 99%
Energy: 67%

Sangfroidish [OO]
Hindy (M) <Unburden>
drifloon
Energy: 86%

Numbers:
Evangeline- HP: 100 - 1 (toxic) = 99; Energy: 100 - 4 (Attract) - 4 (Toxic) - 25 (Wish) = 67.
Hindy- Energy: 100 - 5 (Double Team) - 4 (Magic Coat) - 5 (Charge Beam) = 86.

Notes:
-"As many clones as you can" is ambiguous; I treated Drifloon as being "average speed" which gives him a max of 5 clones, and went with that.
-Lacking any concrete decision from the Direct Recovery thread, I'm treating Wish as it was: 50% health to be given in 2 actions, 25% energy cost.
-Charge Beam missed.
-Sangfroidish commands first.

Blast. Knew I should've just Protected off that Attract. Still, never mind; start off by beefing up those specials with a couple of Calm Minds. Just let your mind wander and fantasise about your beloved flower thing or whatever. Finish off with an Ominous Wind. If she tries to Attract, Toxic or Swagger you, throw it back with Magic Coat.

Calm Mind/Magic Coat ~ Calm Mind/Magic Coat ~ Ominous Wind/Magic Coat

M'kay, Eva. First thing's first, drop the poison by using Aromatherapy. Next, since the balloon is already head-over-...the dangly hand things it has, use Captivate to drop its strength. Finally, since we've done jack-all for damage, finish things off with a Copycat. Get smacked then smack'em back!

Aromatherapy >> Captivate >> Copycat

Orchestra [OO]
flabebe-blue
Health: 99%
Energy: 67%

Sangfroidish [OO]
Hindy (M) <Unburden>
drifloon
Energy: 86%

-BEGIN ROUND 2-

Hindy's orders to open the round were to stay calm, and he was anything but. The guilt from poisoning his precious Evangeline was simply too great. Trying to calm down with the thought of it made things worse, in fact, and he could be heard making faint squeaking noises of hyperventilation. It was then that Evangeline's flower began to emit a pleasant smell across the field. The soothing aroma made her feel reinvigorated as it purged the toxins from her body.

[Evangeline- HP: 99%, PP: 64%] [Hindy- HP: 100%, 86%]​

The looks of panic faded from Hindy and his clone's faces as he witnessed Evangeline's face go from a sickly greenish purple to a much healthier white. Seeing his love healthy once more came as a huge relief, even more than his miss at the end of the previous round. Free of guilt, he was able to focus on himself, and his position in the world. The situation at hand went far from his mind. He had only himself, and the sound of the wind rushing past as he continued his circular motions to maintain the clones. Hindy was in a state of such deep meditation, that he completely failed to notice Evangeline's latest effort to woo him. She performed a downright adorable dance on her petals - captivating, in fact! And her target audience had all of their eyes closed the whole time! Evangeline let out a huff, not even bothering to perform the final motion, which would have posed her so beautifully in time for the glowing effects of her wish coming true! Instead, when Jirachi bestowed the gift of life upon her, she was sitting on her flower with arms crossed and a look of supreme annoyance on her face.

[Evangeline- HP: 100%, PP: 62%] [Hindy- HP: 100%, PP: 84%]​

Upon his return from deep meditation, Hindy began to doubt what he saw in Evangeline. Looking at her now he wasn't sure that he was up for her at her worst. With that, he accepted that she simply wasn't the one, and resumed the battle as usual. He called up a foul wind from the north, and the south, and the west, and the east, and every angle in between, by virtue of the fact that he was moving in a circle and calling it from behind himself. As a result, the ghost-imbued wind rushed at Evangeline from all directions, blowing the petals of her flower about and rocking her around in the turbulence. When the wind finally subsided, she decided it was clearly her turn. She copied Hindy's stance as best she could for her body type, and summoned a wind that now rushed in all directions away from her, carrying with it what residual ghost energy remained in the air. The attack distorted her opponent's illusion, leaving it obvious which of the Drifloon was the real thing. As Hindy winced from the attack, he stopped and let them fade entirely.

-END ROUND 2-

Orchestra [OO]
flabebe-blue
Health: 94%
Energy: 60%

Sangfroidish [OO]
Hindy (M) <Unburden>
drifloon
Health: 93%
Energy: 82%

Notes:
-Hindy was immobilised by love on the first action.
-Captivate was ignored by Calm Mind.
-Wish only healed 1%...
-Hindy's attraction faded at the start of the third action.
-Double Team was wiped by Ominous Wind on the third action.
-Orchestra commands next.

Last edited:
So did the second Calm Mind go through, or did you have it and Captivate cancel out or something? I only ask because there's no mention of the stat gains in Hindenburg's status if the former, which "ignoring Captivate" would suggest is the case.

So did the second Calm Mind go through, or did you have it and Captivate cancel out or something? I only ask because there's no mention of the stat gains in Hindenburg's status if the former, which "ignoring Captivate" would suggest is the case.

i knew i forgot something.

[Sorry for the wait. Was without internet for a few days.]

Starting off with Misty Terrain, unless he tries to hit us with a status ailment. From that point on, simply Calm Mind and then try another Captivate.

This stuff is more difficult than I expected. x.x

Misty Terrain/Magic Coat >> Calm Mind >> Captivate

Calm your Mind again so that captivate doesn't knock us into the negatives, then just throw Clear Smog at it.

Calm Mind ~ Clear Smog ~ Clear Smog

(thought: how are we treating moves with variable base power in this match? e.g. is Venoshock legal on a non-poisoned target but banned on a poisoned one, or legal in both cases?)

(thought: how are we treating moves with variable base power in this match? e.g. is Venoshock legal on a non-poisoned target but banned on a poisoned one, or legal in both cases?)

I'd like variable base power moves to be legal entirely, so long as they're listed as <=60 base power normally, if only so the battle doesn't drag on too long (legal recovery...), but ultimately I'll leave that for you and Orchestra to work out.

Reffing to come shortly.

EDIT: 'shortly' here meaning 'tomorrow afternoon'

Last edited:
Orchestra [OO]
flabebe-blue
Health: 94%
Energy: 60%

Sangfroidish [OO]
Hindy (M) <Unburden>
drifloon
Energy: 82%

-BEGIN ROUND 3-

Hindy wasted no time in pushing the memory of the cruel wind from his mind. He in fact wasted no time of pushing just about everything from his mind, retreating into a state of serene ignorance toward his surroundings. He paid no mind to the pink haze which was emanating from Evangeline's flower. He paid no mind to its spread, nor the way it hung in the air so close to the grass, as if smothering each blade with a cozy blanket.

He paid no mind to Evangeline's huff of disapproval as yet another action went by with her out of the limelight.

[Evangeline- HP: 94%, PP: 56%] [Hindy- HP: 93%, PP: 80%]​

Hindy reopened his eyes and wondered if he had discovered what they really meant by getting high on life. He wanted to take a moment to roll around in the cotton candy clouds below him, but alas! The battle must take precedent above all things. He began spewing a faint smog, which floated down just above the mist around Evangeline. She inhaled at the wrong moment, and sputtered out a long series of coughs, doubling over in pain. She shut her eyes in an effort to ignore it. It was difficult, but the smell of it began to seem so distant as she focused her thoughts on her flower, and the intricate connections of its roots. She imagined traveling down one branch, and returning to each split as she reached an end. It was tedious, but a good, distracting tedious.

[Evangeline- HP: 79%, PP: 54%] [Hindy- HP: 93%, PP: 77%]​

Evangeline's serenity was short lived, however. The smog continued to pour out of Hindy like exhaust from a diesel truck, and it was building up around its target fast. Evangeline bent over in another coughing fit, losing her place among the web of roots. What calm she had obtained was replaced by disappointment, upset by her inability to ignore her opponent. He made it look so easy when she was trying to dazzle him with her dance! But here she was, weak, and unable to hold her breath long enough for the smog to clear. Once it finally dissipated, she decided that it would be a good time to try again. She stood high up on her flower's stamen and did a pirouette. As she finished her twirl, some pixie dust flew glittering off her skin. The display astounded Hindy, dragging his attention back to the material world by the heel.

Orchestra [OO]
flabebe-blue
Health: 72%
Energy: 52%

Sangfroidish [OO]
Hindy (M) <Unburden>
drifloon
Energy: 74%
Numbers:
Hindy- Energy: 82 - 2 (Calm Mind) - 6 (Clear Smog x2) - 1 (Crit cost) = 74
Evangeline- Health: 94 - 15(Clear Smog) - 9 (Clear Smog) = 70; Energy: 60 - 4 (Misty Terrain) - 2 (Calm Mind) - 2 (Captivate) = 52.

Notes:
-Sorry this is late. I forgot I don't have Lazarus on this machine yet and I ended up having to rewrite the first action 3 times. @_@
-Misty Terrain is in effect (3 more actions)
-The first Clear Smog was a crit. I ref crits as taking an extra 1% energy cost; if there's a higher ruling that makes it cost more then let me know.
-The second Clear Smog was affected by the +1 SDef and then cleared it.
-Sangfoidish commands first.

Last edited:
I'd like variable base power moves to be legal entirely, so long as they're listed as <=60 base power normally, if only so the battle doesn't drag on too long (legal recovery...), but ultimately I'll leave that for you and Orchestra to work out.

I'll leave it to Orchestra to decide. It is their arena, after all!

Also, not that I'm complaining, but 9% seems like a lot of damage for a 50BP non-STAB attack, even a super-effective one. Unless I'm missing something I can't see how it would have managed anything higher than 6% (11% w/ a crit).

Also also, I'm p. sure crits officially don't affect energy cost at all, but I have no issue with it if your scale handles them otherwise.

Anyway, we're doing good work here, but let's change it up a little. I dunno if Defog actually clears Misty Terrain, but it seems like the sort of thing that should be affected by it, so try it and see. If it worked, use Thunder Wave and then another Clear Smog; if not, gimme another two Clear Smog.

Defog ~ Thunder Wave/Clear Smog ~ Clear Smog

5 * 1.5 = 7 (super-effective), + 2 = 9 (stat boosts, second Clear Smog was only +1), + 5 = 14 (crit). I'm not sure where the extra 1% came from in both cases, so I'll edit accordingly.

EDIT: remembered that stat boosts come before supereffective multipliers, so it was 7 *1.5 = 10 damage. Putting the numbers back where they came from now.

Last edited:
DQ warning for Orchestra; they have approx. 48 hours to post commands.

I simply have not been up for this at all lately. :\ I am terribly sorry.

Just going to Toxic, then Protect and finish with Fairy Wind.

Edit: Had to change a move... I forgot my own <60 damage rule...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom