• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

I'd prefer the 1.3x bp and 0.9x accuracy. With the other option, sure, average damage is 1.2x, but when things hit they hit /hard/, but they don't hit as often as you'd expect, which makes things pretty hairy for both sides.

Amulet Coin: Wouldn't it be simpler just to make it give $2 or $3 extra for each Pokémon the opponent used? That's roughly equivalent for the winner, not so bad for the loser, and avoids rounding complications.

Hustle: Given that rounding down affects damage more than accuracy, I'd say "0.96× on average" is understating the problem. On the other hand, with 1.3× power for 0.9× accuracy, you could just equip a Wide Lens and suddenly you have 1.3× power for free... On the other other hand, having to equip a specific item seems like an alright check, and like allitersonance said, 1.3× is a pretty standard boost.

String Shot: I'm just gonna make it possible to edit energy costs live, this keeps happening

wrt amulet coin, that's what I meant as my suggestion, I guess I worded poorly. But yeah, I think it'd be an improvement over both the current and the old ways of doing amulet coin.

Oh! No, you worded it fine, I guess I just missed that last paragraph, sorry. But yeah, it totally is.

ASB Database said:
Defeatist - Although a fearsome fighter when things are going well, this Pokémon is prone to simply giving up when the tide turns and the battle becomes difficult. As long as a Pokémon with this ability is below 50% health, all its attacks have their base power cut in half. A Pokémon that's no longer trying can't be disappointed, however, and as a result a Pokémon with this ability will also be immune to having its stats lowered by the opponents as long as it remains below 50% health.

In-game, Defeatist exists to nerf Archeops, who has ridiculous base stats. However, base stats don't really matter in ASB, and so Defeatist becomes really unbalanced. Having halving attack BP is very significant, even with the stat drop immunity -- you're easily losing out on 15% damage per round (Earthquake x3, or Acrobatics x3). That's the equal of having about 4~5 levels of stat-drop (assuming 1% ~ 2% per level), which isn't something that's likely to happen in battles.

Proposal:
+2% base damage to all attacks when health is above 50%, and -2% base damage to all attacks when health is 50% or below?

x1.2 base damage to all attacks when health is above 50%, and x0.8 base damage to all attacks when health is 50% or below?

I think the second proposal is better.

To get an Archeops in the first place, you need 4 EXP. When you're below 50%, half of the debuff is removed by the EXP modifier in Negrek's ref scale (which I'm guessing is the most used).

Sorry to intrude on this conversation, but Archen has the same ability, doesn't it? It's not a problem that only shows up after evolving.

Sorry to intrude on this conversation, but Archen has the same ability, doesn't it? It's not a problem that only shows up after evolving.
...Yeah, this is a pretty fair point. It's probably not a good idea to balance abilities based on the experience their bearers require anyway, as the ability may very well appear again in the future.

Hm, I like that proposal, but it also makes me want something to balance out Truant, since that's meant to nerf slaking...

In-game, Defeatist exists to nerf Archeops, who has ridiculous base stats. However, base stats don't really matter in ASB, and so Defeatist becomes really unbalanced. Having halving attack BP is very significant, even with the stat drop immunity -- you're easily losing out on 15% damage per round (Earthquake x3, or Acrobatics x3). That's the equal of having about 4~5 levels of stat-drop (assuming 1% ~ 2% per level), which isn't something that's likely to happen in battles.

Proposal:
+2% base damage to all attacks when health is above 50%, and -2% base damage to all attacks when health is 50% or below?

x1.2 base damage to all attacks when health is above 50%, and x0.8 base damage to all attacks when health is 50% or below?

To, uh, make my brain happy, could we perhaps make that second proposal balance out to 1.25x when health is above 50%, 0.8x when health is 50% or below? Or 1.2x when health is above 50% and ⅚x when health is 50% or below, I guess, but that's ugly and bad...

I'm also for making defeatist and truant valid abilities rather than a nerf. Truant could be weakened to having to make one action basically not too active, however you want to define it? Rather than doing nothing, it's fine to use amnesia because even lazy people can forget stuff. It's also fine to chill. Just because of the name, even though it's energy-intensive, slack off could be allowed... it'd be simplest to just have any non-damaging move but that's probably too permissive.

I'm good with defeatist as either +2/-2 or x1.25/x0.8 base damage too.

Maybe Truant could involve reduced priority or speed rather than outright preventing any action whatsoever. That way you're not losing a whole action just to get a measly 4% extra damage over the other two.

Making Defeatist/Truant viable sounds good! I'd prefer +2/-2 for Defeatist because I'm all for the simplest math possible, haha.

I'm happier with 1.25x/0.8x instead of a flat boost. Flat boosts in general are kinda weird, since it can make like idk Bind or something suddenly do double damage, and depending on where you apply the flat boost you can get different answers depending on whatever multipliers you have on top.

I think I like allitersonance's interpretation of Truant the most, since it's the closest interpretation of the ability without making it a complete bummer? But yeah, the non-action action would be difficult to define.

Quick suggestion: should we nix the ruling where you can't perform weather moves indoors? I mean I can imagine a Pokemon conjuring the necessary stuff for weather wherever, plus some people battle in like space or something and weather moves are apparently fine there, which is pretty weird.

Quick suggestion: should we nix the ruling where you can't perform weather moves indoors? I mean I can imagine a Pokemon conjuring the necessary stuff for weather wherever, plus some people battle in like space or something and weather moves are apparently fine there, which is pretty weird.

Sure; I seem to remember someone reffing Sunny Day in a cave or underground or something by having the Pokemon make a floating fireball? And I feel like if people really don't want to battle under weather, they'd put weather moves on the banned move list in their challenge anyways.

(Relatedly, the page for Sunny Day says Moonlight and Morning Sun heal up to 30% normally, but the pages for Moonlight/Morning Sun say they heal up to 50%..?)

Sure; I seem to remember someone reffing Sunny Day in a cave or underground or something by having the Pokemon make a floating fireball? And I feel like if people really don't want to battle under weather, they'd put weather moves on the banned move list in their challenge anyways.

(Relatedly, the page for Sunny Day says Moonlight and Morning Sun heal up to 30% normally, but the pages for Moonlight/Morning Sun say they heal up to 50%..?)

Yeah, I swear I recall the fireball thing happening, too, so I guess it wasn't exactly a rule that was enforced very much.

(... does it say that? I'll go edit it)

I'm okay with weather in-doors, it can always be banned in specific challenges anyhow.

I like the idea of er, non-moving truant actions... It can be like paralysis? An action of para-hax maybe?

Back
Top Bottom