• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB Awards Discussion Thread

Maybe instead of that, "Biggest Comeback" could be a category? Since it's more of a positive for the person who wins it.
Sounds good if we were to actually keep the category (although for better or for worse this would change the person who actually gets the award and thus the prize), but it still might be that the category would generate enough interest to justify keeping it separate from Nail-Biter of the Year.

Also, anyone down with renaming Most Entertaining Battler to Most Entertaining Trainer, if nobody else puts out a better idea until crunch time?

The time is drawing near, folks. If you have anything else to add, the time is about now.

I don't really see why Most Entertaining Battler needs to be renamed... I mean, nobody has a problem with confusing Best Battler and Best Battle. And I guess Most Entertaining Trainer sounds like it could encompass other areas than battling, which is not actually the case.

I don't really see why Most Entertaining Battler needs to be renamed... I mean, nobody has a problem with confusing Best Battler and Best Battle. And I guess Most Entertaining Trainer sounds like it could encompass other areas than battling, which is not actually the case.
"Best Battler" and "Best Battle" aren't very mistakeable for each other because, as relatively short titles, the small difference is easy to spot. With a mouthful like "Most Entertaining", though, subtle differences between the words at the end tend to become less visible. It might seem nebulous, but it's definitely an issue (you can take it from the guy who's been typing all those category names over and over).

I get that Most Entertaining Trainer has a bit of an unwanted connotation of "funniest person in general who happens to be a trainer in ASB", but I can't think of a way to emphatize the command-issuing aspect of it without making the name like five big words long (and without ending up with an extremely confusing pair of names). If you can, then, by all means.

... Well, if a better idea does come along, we can still re-rename the category as we go. Still, it's time. Thread will be up in a few (ETA: thread is up) Don't be shy about any last minute-changes you want to propose, however; there's always a little time. That said, let's keep this thread centered only on awards meta; the awards thread will be open and welcoming to any comments on the ongoing ceremony.

Anyways, happy 2016, and happy awarding.

Last edited:
Since suggestions are still allowed: I think the ref should be included in receiving prizes for "Best Battle".

I agree, for totally unbiased reasons!

(Actually, though, I really don't see much difference between Best Battle and Most Entertaining Battle, anyway. I just kind of randomly split up my nominations between them.)

(edit @ VM below: yeah, heheh, that's what I meant. I should have clarified.)

Last edited:
Yeah, and even "Most Entertaining Battle" rewards the ref as well as the participants, so I don't see why that shouldn't be extended to "Best Battle".

Since suggestions are still allowed: I think the ref should be included in receiving prizes for "Best Battle".
I don't really think so, considering we just got a whole new category for battles where the ref work in particular is standout. I've extended the prize to the referee in Most Entertaining Battle because the ref is usually like 90% responsible for making a battle particularly entertaining, but this isn't necessarily the case with Best Battle. In general, awarding the referee in Best Battle when we also have Best Reffed Battle feels like a certain magnitude of double-dipping.

I don't really think so, considering we just got a whole new category for battles where the ref work in particular is standout. I've extended the prize to the referee in Most Entertaining Battle because the ref is usually like 90% responsible for making a battle particularly entertaining, but this isn't necessarily the case with Best Battle. In general, awarding the referee in Best Battle when we also have Best Reffed Battle feels like a certain magnitude of double-dipping.

I don't know, I think referees are just as responsible as the battlers for making a great battle great. There doesn't seem to be very much of a difference between the battles nominated for Best Battle and Most Entertaining Battle, because I don't think the community is really active enough to produce the variety of battles that make those two categories distinct. Like, I think most people don't want to participate in Metronome battles because it just means one of their slots will be taken up for ages for a battle that doesn't award their Pokémon any experience, so the biggest example of a battle that would be nominated for Most Entertaining Battle but not Best Battle never really happens.

I would be kind of upset if the Baby Bug Ball Brawl won for Best Battle and Superbird and The Omskivar's contributions to making it happen weren't recognized. But at the same time there are other battles I want to vote for in Most Entertaining and Best Reffed. The Baby Bug Ball Brawl is kind of an all-around best, but there are others that shine in more specific categories.

Like... I could go nominate the refs for the Baby Bug Ball Brawl and my battle of wits with Music Dragon for Best Reffed anyway, because I think the refs did great work and it should be recognized just as much as the battle itself. So there's going to be "double-dipping" anyway.

Right, since I forgot to actually respond to this earlier and we're basically out of time, I'll just go ahead and cop to it, even if there's probably still more that could be said on the matter.

I don't suppose it's too late to ask about a runoff vote for best nickname, is it? 18 candidates is kind of a lot.

I don't suppose it's too late to ask about a runoff vote for best nickname, is it? 18 candidates is kind of a lot.
The thought of letting people vote for more than one nickname (but still a limited amount of nicknames, like, say, two or three) as a means of dealing with the sheer vollume of nominations has crossed my mind before; if anybody thinks that'd be a good idea, there's still time to change it up.

The thought of letting people vote for more than one nickname (but still a limited amount of nicknames, like, say, two or three) as a means of dealing with the sheer vollume of nominations has crossed my mind before; if anybody thinks that'd be a good idea, there's still time to change it up.
Maybe letting people vote for first choice and second choice, with the first choice effectively counting as two votes, would make it less likely that there's some six-way tie at the end.

I agree with VM; it definitely seems like the most practical solution.

Well, that works. I'll change the guidelines to reflect that.

If anybody has already sent me Best Nickname votes and they're not compatible with this new ruling, feel free to resend; I haven't seen any of the votes yet in any case.

Back
Top Bottom