• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What do Jewish people call God?

Vladimir Putin's LJ

your blood flows through my veins
Okay, so this may seem like a dumb question but here's the deal: in the next page of my comic, Henry (the resident jew) begins a pleasant chat with another character about religion and explains a thing he does about eating kosher that doesn't make much sense to anyone except me.
So anyway at one point he says 'well ha ha i'm sure *god* won't punish me for eating unclean foods' and that's where I have a problem. I'd originally written Hashem because I thought it was appropriate but now I'm not sure. Is it Yahweh? Is it Jehovah (worse? how could it be worse? jehovah! jehovah!)? Is it Adonaï? Is it just God? WHAT DO I CALL THIS ENTITY.

Just as a reminder: he's Conservative bordering on Reform (respects Shabbat and goes to the synagogue, makes an effort to eat kosher ever other week, speaks Yiddish (yeah he's Askhenazi) and respects the main holidays but other than that) so he's pretty laid-back. Don't know if this is relevant.

Last edited:
It depends. I know some Jews don't use a name at all but I think most English-speaking Jews would just say "God."

As far as I'm aware, they'll say "God" and write is as "G-d" as a sign of respect.

...Leonard Cohen does, at least X3

Jews don't say God's name. If it has to be written, use G-D or G!d or whatever.

EXCEPT MY GIRLFRIEND BUT SHE DOESN'T REALLY BELIEVE IN GOD ANYWAY SO SHE DOESN'T COUNT

Jews are Jews by birth so it depends on if they are practising or not too I guess

As far as I'm aware, they'll say "God" and write is as "G-d" as a sign of respect.

...Leonard Cohen does, at least X3

Yeah, it was written G-d in my R.E. exam.

...for years I thought 'G-d' was actually the name of the god. >_> Always wondered why they used a name that looks like some kind of robotic serial number...

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll just have him say 'god', because I'm pretty certain all the other versions are in Hebrew and Yiddish. And yeah, the G-d thing is done because one cannot deface god, including his name, which is why burning or scribbling over the Torah isn't kosher. Some Jewish people do it on the Internet as well because you could technically print the page and burn it afterwards (seriously).

The Hebrew Hammer
Is this a real film?

I'm fairly sure it's pretty much a pick-and-choose situation and no one God name is the "right" one.

At least, after finding this during research on my antisemitism project for History, I should really hope so o.o

Back
Top Bottom