• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

Getting DQ'd already bars you from starting any new battles for a month, and refusing to keep posting in a battle would... get you DQ'd.

Wait, wasn't that not-a-thing before the shutdown happened? iirc Negrek said that that usually ended up punishing the wrong people (ie. people who just forgot but were eager to play again). Not to mention they already forfeit their monetary prizes, so uh.

I dunno. It's what the current rules say. I'd totally be in favour of taking it back out, though, if it usually ends up punishing the wrong people in practice.

EXP share has been changed in the past few games to essentially distribute half the exp to the rest of the team while not touching the exp of the battlers; obviously this would be too powerful for ASB, but it means there's no longer any need to stick with halving EXP to split between battlers and shareholders.

So, proposal that either
a) the EXP share should grant the shareholder all exp gained by KOs rather than halve + round down, or at least not round down exp on both, and EXP should instead be treated as discrete units rather than being fractionated and lost, or
b) since EXP share is now a key item, give trainers the innate ability to distribute EXP gained from KOs as they please, among the active squad that they brought into the battle. Pokemon holding a lucky egg could always gain the extra exp from the egg, in this case, but the other point can be distributed freely. idk if lucky egg affects exp gained from non-battlers ingame, but it wouldn't here.

EXP share has been changed in the past few games to essentially distribute half the exp to the rest of the team while not touching the exp of the battlers; obviously this would be too powerful for ASB, but it means there's no longer any need to stick with halving EXP to split between battlers and shareholders.

So, proposal that either
a) the EXP share should grant the shareholder all exp gained by KOs rather than halve + round down, or at least not round down exp on both, and EXP should instead be treated as discrete units rather than being fractionated and lost, or
b) since EXP share is now a key item, give trainers the innate ability to distribute EXP gained from KOs as they please, among the active squad that they brought into the battle. Pokemon holding a lucky egg could always gain the extra exp from the egg, in this case, but the other point can be distributed freely. idk if lucky egg affects exp gained from non-battlers ingame, but it wouldn't here.

I happen to think (b) would be a really nice thing, but I'll note that the state of xp distribution at it is disproportionately favours rich people and people who micromanage their sendouts and KOs; both of the proposals obviate only rounding error (and nobody like rounding error) which is avoidable in almost all cases anyway. the most likely edge case, I believe, is one pokémon getting the KO on three opponents, which isn't actually that common and anyway should happen almost exclusively in doubles.

as a related note in the same vein, I propose that finishing a battle without using all allotted pokémon should grant floating sendout xp to elsewhere on the team (i.e. one xp to an eligible pokémon on the squad which didn't get sent out per allotted pokémon not used, no repeats), analogous to having those pokémon sent out and immediately KO'd before they do anything.

this also merely obviates micromanagement since even in set style, it's a bit hard to imagine a situation where a player could win immediately with a pokémon in reserve, and would not be able to win by switching out before the KO and cleaning up with a fresh pokémon. (well, it's not hard to imagine, it's just quite the edge case.) it's a slight bonus to winning a battle with pokémon in reserve, since, while it probably shouldn't earn better rewards, it seems hard to justify worse overall xp gain, especially when it encourages a semi-ridiculous switch-selfdestruct dance behaviour. (granted, I might be the only person who would want to do such a thing.)

can the species display show a price for basic-stages (and maybe also buyable evolutions), analogous to how the items display shows prices for each item (except rare candies)?

Contrariwise, I happen to prefer the a) option, since it doesn't invalidate an item that many people have/had at least one of, and it also doesn't arbitrate actual Pokemon choice quite as much. An extra EXP point or two to one Pokemon seems a bit...I don't know how to say this, fairer? More balanced?...than tossing an entire battle's KO-EXP across a team wherever you want. Option a) encourages the use of a wider variety of Pokemon, maybe some that would be more of a challenge to battle with

in the case of a 1v1 specifically, (a) is equivalent to (b) but you have to micromanage items held before someone takes each battle for reffing. in case of longer battles ... it makes a slight difference, I guess. the same amount of xp is being thrown around, though—"and entire battle's KO-EXP" is the "extra EXP point or two", just that in the case of two points it might be to two pokémon (and in the case of three points, up to three &c.).

so basically it mildly discourages long battles ... not that that's a huge problem, nobody takes long battles by choice anyway, right. ahem.

(a) influences pokémon choice more than (b) because now you have at least one pokémon holding a useless item (when you could be using pokémon holding useful items).

the fact that it's "an item that many people have/had at least one of" is kind of eh given that it's now a key item and hey, the fakemon got disappeared too so there is precedent for such a thing. all it does is "you must be this tall" (i.e. able to afford an exp share without compromising efficiency) to spread exp around.

it's not very consequential either way though.

Contrariwise, I happen to prefer the a) option, since it doesn't invalidate an item that many people have/had at least one of, and it also doesn't arbitrate actual Pokemon choice quite as much. An extra EXP point or two to one Pokemon seems a bit...I don't know how to say this, fairer? More balanced?...than tossing an entire battle's KO-EXP across a team wherever you want. Option a) encourages the use of a wider variety of Pokemon, maybe some that would be more of a challenge to battle with
Eh, giving people their money back for any exp shares nixed wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Can smeargle get Celebrate and Hold Hands for free without Sketching them? Please? Also Splash, while we're at it.

Can smeargle get Celebrate and Hold Hands for free without Sketching them? Please? Also Splash, while we're at it.
To be frank, even pre-launch, I was hoping to change up Smeargle's Sketch-free movepool. It's kind of weird as it is right now... It's all basics like Pound, and then, for some ungodly reason, Iron freaking Tail.

It's probably its Colosseum moveset.

I just want smeargle to be able to hold hands and summon boxes.

Celebrate actually does something, though. It summons a box, which could probably be used for something.

Also, Splash in a watery arena.

Poor Zhorken. Overworked and underpaid, just like a public school teacher. Well, you should know that I really appreciate all the hard work you've put into this, no matter what the Splash summary says! We should erect a statue or something! Like we did with Negrek!

Last edited:

So, proposal that either

I'd prefer a). b) would probably encourage the use of purely super-buff large-movepool Pokemon more. Also I'd prefer to keep the amount of EXP juggling possible limited (again, to avoid having buff Pokemon farm all the EXP to feed to tiny unevolved ones).

I don't see the use of the item slot as a problem with a), since most people don't use/can't afford held items for all their Pokemon anyway.

Anyway I'll bring it up with the rest of the team and see where discussion leads us.

I'd prefer a). b) would probably encourage the use of purely super-buff large-movepool Pokemon more. Also I'd prefer to keep the amount of EXP juggling possible limited (again, to avoid having buff Pokemon farm all the EXP to feed to tiny unevolved ones).

I don't see the use of the item slot as a problem with a), since most people don't use/can't afford held items for all their Pokemon anyway.

Anyway I'll bring it up with the rest of the team and see where discussion leads us.

(a) and (b) are essentially identical in terms of super-buff large pokémon feeding the tiny ones [but pffh why], it just becomes necessary to control what pokémon is holding the exp share each time one of your battles goes up for reffing. realistically I am not going to stay up 24/7 refreshing to watch if someone has decided to ref my battles (because ajaja that won't ever happen) but in principle that the difference between the two is if you can't solve the knapsack problem with weights of your own choosing, which would be kind of an embarrassment.

the problem isn't so much with the item slot as the fact that it takes a (fairly expensive) item which is kind of ??? of itself. because uh if someone doesn't use/can't afford held items for every pokémon is it desirable to charge them for the privilege of putting xp where they want it?

[I talk about theoretical equivalences that don't actually ever pan out in reality a lot but that's mostly because I don't think tedium is good]

Back
Top Bottom