• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Braillemon - Pokemon Port for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Daigonite

as disgruntled as ever

BRAILLEMON: POKEMON FOR THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED
Excuse the cheesy name, please. Harhar. Does not actually utilize Braille printing technology (might actually have connectivity to Braille displays
later though)

2vtegki.jpg
So what is this?!
2vtegki.jpg

Do you know that one guy who always wanted to be a Pokémon Master, but is blind as a bat
and can't even tell you what Pikachu looks like? Well THIS IS FOR HIM.

This game, programmed in Gamemaker 8, utilizes the TTS extension to have menus and
text read to the player. It can be played completely without vision (and the game has
no graphics).

Why, you may ask?

I have three blind friends who are bored as all hell and they need something besides Monopoly
to play, of course!

2vtegki.jpg
Plot? Backstory?
2vtegki.jpg

You just turned 10! You are on your way to Professor Oak's lab to get your very first Pokémon.
It could be Bulbasaur, the Seed Pokémon. Or maybe Charmander, the Lizard Pokémon? Can't
go wrong with the Tinyturtle Squirtle though. Yup - that's right, this game is a port of
Pokémon Red and Blue for the Gameboy!

There are some differences though - the game is more like a blend between Red/Blue
and Gold/Silver.

2vtegki.jpg
FEATURES
2vtegki.jpg

Text to Speech functionality
Initial release will include 251 Pokémon and 249 moves.
EVs/IVs based on Gen III and higher formulas.
Accurate damage, stat, catch rate ect. formulas
Plotline based off of Pokemon R/B/Y

A preview video is here

2vtegki.jpg
CREDITS
2vtegki.jpg

Programmer:
Rachel Merryfield (Corvidae)

Resources extracted from Pokémon Blue/Red by GAMEFREAK/Nintendo. Pokémon is
copyright GAMEFREAK 1995-2013.

Beta Testers:
...YOU?!

SUPER DOOPER SPECIAL THANKS TO KYLE FROWNFELTER FOR TAKING THE
TIME TO DEVELOP THE SAPI5 DLL, I OWE YOU ONE DUDE.
2vtegki.jpg
But I'm not blind! Can I play it too?
2vtegki.jpg

Of course! In the end I want to add networking capabilities to connect players of all
types, eyes functioning or not. The game will be condensed to be playable without
requiring graphics. Towns will be menu based, and routes will be greatly simplified. Items
and Trainers will be able to be detected from sound.

If you get an error after booting up saying that you don't have a Text to Speech engine
installed, make sure you read through readme.txt and TTS_help.html provided in the file.
Check your Text to Speech settings and see if they work. The game uses the
Microsoft voices as default and hasn't been tested with anything else just yet.

ANY OTHER ERRORS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE! Braillemon.exe will produce an error
log for every error that pops up in a session, so post its contents there so I can
fix it!

In fact, it'd really benefit me if you want to test this with perfectly fine vision, it allows
me to test on even more kinds of computers! Make sure your Text-to-Speech software
is configured or else this program will not run.

2vtegki.jpg
Downloads?
2vtegki.jpg

Hold your horses! This is in DEVELOPMENT for a reason! The game is going to be in a
development phase for a while, so some features may not be implemented yet. This page
will show development additions. There will also be an update file included in releases to
show what's new!

MOST RECENT UPDATE

Tech Release 6 (intermediate tech
releases available on zonebbs.com

THIS UPDATE INCLUDES:
-Mainly just move stuff. Finished all the moves!
-a bazillion glitches fixed
-Added evasion checks (not that it mattered before considering no evasion moves were added yet)
-Fixed move calculation
-Weather Effects
-End Turn Effects
-added pretty sound effects
-Status effects
-Physical Descriptions for EVERY POKEMON
-SAPI5 COMPATIBILITY OH MY GOD - Special thanks to my main man Kyle Frownfelter
for throwing this together
-Trainer Battles
-Enemy AI
THIS RELEASE DOES NOT WORK ON WINDOWS XP
yes we are working on that

previous builds available upon request

I am in need of non-blind testers who are willing to try this audio game
who are familiar with Pokemon to point out any awkward glitches or
unusual mechanics that stick out to you.

Thank you in advance for your comments. It's programmed all from scratch
with no external tools, bar those produced by Kyle Frownfelter, the other
programmer on the project. So catching those bugs is important!

Back
Top Bottom