• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Usually when I watch a new episode with a song, I think to myself how the new song is nowhere near as good as any of the previous ones, then a week later once it's not stuck in my head any more, I accept that they're pretty good.

But I don't see myself warming to the song the changeling queen sang just because of those reasons. I mean did she really need to sing about how little she cares for Shining Armor or her dress and all that? It just screamed "I'm the villain in case that wasn't obvious enough!"

I write too many negative things about the show and not enough good things :(

I dunno! I thought the song was okay. It made her unabashed evilness interesting for a bit anyway. The show's had much better songs though... I'm trying to listen to this one on its own and it's just not working. The BBBFF song's not bad, but nothing will ever match the sheer unadulterated adorable of Pinkie's smile song. ♥

ALSO YES I feel like that too but I wouldn't complain if I weren't honestly disappointed, and I couldn't be disappointed if the show weren't honestly good enough to make me anticipate something better!

I loved the new episode.

It was filled with action-somewhat. I love Twilight's brother. I hope to see more of Shiny Armor in the future. He is the best male yet.

I guess I just... don't really expect this show to have believable dialogue or multidimensional characterization or complex morality. I don't even mean that in the sneering low-expectations sense; I just don't think it's that kind of show. It's a silly cartoon about ponies where each episode ends with a letter to Princess Celestia explaining the lesson the main characters learned. It wants to be humourous, it wants to be zany fun, it wants to be lighthearted and warm-fuzzy-inducing and wacky hijinks and slightly exaggerated characters playing off each other, and it does that well, but it doesn't really want to be complex or nuanced and it doesn't really occur to me to judge it on those qualities. I mean, they're valid complaints just the same, but I don't really find them affecting my opinion of an episode.

So I for my parts thought the finale was pretty up there. (Much better than The Best Night Ever, for one, which I've always found decidedly mediocre.) There was humour, there was zany epicness, I actually liked the changeling queen's evilness as a sort of change of pace from the typically low stakes and little tension of the plots in the show, and This Night Aria is clearly the best song in the whole show so far by about three miles and I don't care what you think. >:(

(Seriously, I've found all the songs really forgettable except Winter Wrap-Up which is catchy in an annoying way and to some extent the Flim-Flam brothers' song, but I liked This Night Aria immediately and it only got better on repeated listens. The melody is haunting and beautiful and I really like how the crazy glorious evil comes across in the changeling queen's voice and so on and so on.)

Last edited:
I find myself once again having to agree with everything Butterfree said without adding anything substantial. This Night Aria is best song.

Now that season 2's over, here are my end-of-season "awards". (You can do this too, if you want.)

Best Episode: A Canterlot Wedding, Part 2
Best Quote: " I can't believe that the two most frivolous ponies in Ponyville are trying to tell new Fluttershy how to live her life when they are throwing their own lives away on pointless pursuits that nopony else gives a flying feather about!" - Fluttershy
Best Scene: Shining Armor and Princess Cadence defeating Queen Chrysalis
Best Full-Length Song: Smile, Smile, Smile
Best Mini-Song: The Heart Carol
Best Shoutout/Reference: The Big Lebowski reference in Cutie Pox

And just because I can:

Worst Episode: The Mysterious Mare Do Well

mlpfim.png

I think it's "The Pony Every Pony Should Know" that Rarity sang in Sweet and Elite.

Best Episode: A Canterlot Wedding Part 2

Best Quote: "Dear Princess Celestia, I wanted to share my thoughts with you. [clears throat] I didn't learn anythin'! Ha! I was right all along! If you take your time to do things the right way, your work will speak for itself. Sure I could tell you I learned something about how my friends are always there to help me, and I can count on them no matter what, but truth is, I knew that already too." -- Applejack (No, not friendship report. This is just the best quote, which happens to be a friendship report)

Best Full-Length Song: Smile Smile Smile

Best Mini-Song: Love is in Bloom

Best Shoutout/Reference: Chocolate Rain

Best Error: The Earth pony becoming a Unicorn in "Sweet and Elite" during the song.

Best Pony Who's Personality Has Grown During the Season: Applejack

Worst Episode: Dragon Quest

Best Pet: Winona and Tank

Best CMC: Scootaloo

Best Villian/Antagonist: Discord

Best Princess: Cadence

Best Friendship Report: Dear Princess Celestia, It's a tad easier to be proud when you come in first than it is when you finish further back. But there's no reason to hide when you don't do as well as you'd hoped. You can't run away from your problems. Better to run to your friends and family.

Last edited:
That's Becoming Popular. And now I shall copy-paste your big ol' list of best things, and change it to fit my needs, because I am incredibly lazy.

Best Episode: A Canterlot Wedding Part 2/It's About Time/Hurricane Fluttershy/Hearth's Warming Eve/Hearts and Hooves Day (I am so indecisive)

Best Quote: "Dear Princess Celestia, I wanted to share my thoughts with you. [clears throat] I didn't learn anythin'! Ha! I was right all along! If you take your time to do things the right way, your work will speak for itself. Sure I could tell you I learned something about how my friends are always there to help me, and I can count on them no matter what, but truth is, I knew that already too." -- Applejack

Best Scene: Mean Fluttershy telling Rarity and Pinkie Pie off, locking herself inside, and standing up to Iron Will

Best Full-Length Song: This Day Aria

Best Mini-Song: Love is in Bloom

Best Pet: Tank/Peewee

Best CMC: Sweetie Belle

Best Villain/Antagonist: Chrysalis

Best Princess: Luna

Best Minor Character: Iron Will

Best Episode: Return Of Harmony, Canterlot Wedding, and many more.
Best Quote: Do I really have to choose?
Best Scene: Do I REALLY have to choose?
Best Full-Length Song: This Day Aria
Best Mini-Song: Pinkie's Welcome Song
Best Shoutout/Reference: Discord being basically Q
Best Villain: Discord

As another question, what do you guys hope for in Season 3?

Scootaloo episode. DJ PON-3 speaking. Return of Trixie. That's basically it.

All the above, plus:

Return of Gilda
Octavia speaking
Hinting (or better yet, proving - hey, they had Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash kissing) that Lyra and Bon-Bon are an item

And I think I'll post my full list.

Best Episode: A Canterlot Wedding, Part 2
Best Quote: " I can't believe that the two most frivolous ponies in Ponyville are trying to tell new Fluttershy how to live her life when they are throwing their own lives away on pointless pursuits that nopony else gives a flying feather about!" - Fluttershy
Best Full-Length Song: Smile, Smile, Smile
Best Mini-Song: The Heart Carol
Best Shoutout/Reference: The Big Lebowski reference in Cutie Pox
Best Pet: Opalescence
Best CMC: Apple Bloom
Best Villain/Antagonist: Discord
Best Friendship Report: "Dear Princess Celestia, we're writin' to you today because today we all learned somethin' about friendship. We learned that you should take your friends' worries seriously. Even if you don't think that she has anything to worry about. And that you shouldn't let your worries turn a small problem... ...into an enormously huge entire-town-in-total-chaos Princess-has-to-come-and-save-the-day problem!" - Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie (I don't count the one from SSCS6K; otherwise, it would've been that)
Best Background Character: ...really? You haven't figured out who I'd choose for this by now?

Just wondering - why Dragon Quest?

Just wondering - why Dragon Quest?

I just felt it was a really big wasted opportunity. I was hoping for this really big explanation on dragons and how they fit in with Equestria's history, how they and their society works, and where Spike came from. None of these were answered, and all we got was an episode about a little kid hanging with a bad crowd, which isn't exactly a new and exciting idea for an episode of a kid's show. At least Crackle and Peewee were cool.

I love My Little Pony. I've seen every episode, too! I love and tolerate like a true Pegasister, and my favorite of the Mane 6 is Rarity. :D

Derp I don't follow too closely I pro'bly have seasons mixed up and junk lemme just try to be active

Best Quote: MAYBES
ARE FOR BABIES

Best Mini-Song: 'A pony everyone should know," er, whatever that song Rarity sung was called.
Best Scene: Granny Smith pulling a Marty McFly when Flim/Flam called her "chicken"
Best Pet: AJ's puppy
Best CMC: Apple Bloom
Best Minor Char (Who will pro'bly get more episodes, but who knows): Cheriliee
Best Villain/Antagonist: Discord
Best Friendship Report: "Dear Princess Celestia... I didn't learn nothin'!" - Applejack
Best Background Character: Thor

Back
Top Bottom