• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

(Spoilers coming in this post - look away if you don't want any)

I hate to be a negative Nellie...

...(no, this is not another fandom rant)

...but based on the episode descriptions, I'm actually less than excited about S3. Other than the obligatory two-parter (and two-parters always deliver the goods, at least for me), the synopses presented have been... less than great.

(Note: Opinions coming)

Too Many Pinkie Pies: “Overwhelmed with having to choose just one friend to spend time with, Pinkie Pie uses a magic mirror to clone herself.”

Sounds incredibly generic and insipid - oh well, at least it isn't a bodyswap episode.

One Bad Apple: "The Cutie Mark Crusaders are crushed when Apple Bloom’s cousin, Babs Seed, rejects their invitation to become a fellow Crusader and instead becomes a bully determined to make their lives miserable."

And this sounds like a CMC remake of Griffon the Brush-off. I love that episode, but the creativity here is very low indeed.

Magic Duel: "When Trixie returns to Ponyville, she defeats Twilight and banishes her from town."

Do I even need to say why this is uncreative?

Last edited:
(Spoilers coming in this post - look away if you don't want any)

I hate to be a negative Nellie...

...(no, this is not another fandom rant)

...but based on the episode descriptions, I'm actually less than excited about S3. Other than the obligatory two-parter (and two-parters always deliver the goods, at least for me), the synopses presented have been... less than great.

(Note: Opinions coming)

Too Many Pinkie Pies: “Overwhelmed with having to choose just one friend to spend time with, Pinkie Pie uses a magic mirror to clone herself.”

Sounds incredibly generic and insipid - oh well, at least it isn't a bodyswap episode.

One Bad Apple: "The Cutie Mark Crusaders are crushed when Apple Bloom’s cousin, Babs Seed, rejects their invitation to become a fellow Crusader and instead becomes a bully determined to make their lives miserable."

And this sounds like a CMC remake of Griffon the Brush-off. I love that episode, but the creativity here is very low indeed.

Magic Duel: "When Trixie returns to Ponyville, she defeats Twilight and banishes her from town."

Do I even need to say why this is uncreative?

You accidentally some of the spoiler tag. I fixed that for you.

It was awesome, though King Sombra was bland.

Also, Rarity was awesome the entire episode.

On the negative side, King Sombra was a pretty bad villain, compared to the likes of Discord and Chrysalis.

Fully agreed with all of the above.

I also loved the graphics during the "transitional phase" every time the Crystal Ponies went from their cursed form to their true form.

Also, when Twilight fell down all those stairs, was anyone else reminded of Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff?

<H-land> Arright. Well, then. Pacing awful, flow kinda bad, songs felt gratuitous, Sombra's design is abominable and characterization subpar at best. Overall message and general scenes were mostly all right, though.

H-land pretty much summed up my feelings.

Also Fluttershy was so terribly disappointingly boring :(

The songs felt really pointless in this episode - like they were just like "Okay, we have to have songs in the season opener". And yeah, King Sombra was fairly boring - didn't do much of anything, really.

My favorite part was actually the design of the jousting helmets.

I actually hated the songs.

Also Fluttershy was so terribly disappointingly boring :(

But Rarity more than made up for it. :)

Overall, I give the episode a 7.5/10.

And as I said before, I'm more worried for the quality of future episodes - somehow, I think this might be the season in which MLP:FiM jumps the shark. D:

Last edited:
The resolution felt very rushed, and the the songs were highly forgettable. The villain was terribly disappointing. He didn't speak one full sentence in the entire episode. Unfortunately, King Sombra was more of a plot device than an actual character.

On the positive side, the episode was very good visually, and the Mane Six were great in it as always, especially Rarity and Pinkie Pie.

It didn't quite meet my expectations, but it wasn't a terrible episode either.

But Rarity more than made up for it. :)

the Mane Six were great in it as always, especially Rarity and Pinkie Pie.

I actually found Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie to be the weakest half. Pinkie's even more annoying and Rarity felt really inorganic. I liked Applejack, at least.

I am really not digging the prospect of a S3 with McCarthy at the writer's helm (considering peers and I found the S2 closer bad, as well).

I actually found Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie to be the weakest half. Pinkie's even more annoying and Rarity felt really inorganic. I liked Applejack, at least.

I am really not digging the prospect of a S3 with McCarthy at the writer's helm (considering peers and I found the S2 closer bad, as well).

Once again, we will have to agree to disagree. (Have we ever agreed on anything MLP-related other than "~90% of the fandom is comprised of morons"? :P) I'm just worried about the originality and creativity of the coming episodes - there doesn't seem to be much of it.

By the way, since you dislike McCarthy, who's your favourite writer? (Also, what are your favourite episodes [not necessarily by the writer you chose]?)

Back
Top Bottom