• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fire Emblem Awakening

Scootaloo

spooky? do you think i'm spooky?
because why not

i noticed a lot of people here have this game (myself included) so why not make a discussion thread for it!
also spoilers might happen so.
--------
i think its a fantastic game so far! i'm trying to recruit some people from the paralogues you unlock after you recruit lucina.
also its hard for me to keep the same people alive ahaha good thing i am doing Hard/Casual.

YEAH this thread is gonna be my jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished it!! well, my new file is already around chapter 13 so maybe I'm still officially Playing. I don't replay games immediately that often, so it certainly says something.

I played hard/classic!! it wouldn't feel right if people die, but I totally understand why you'd not want it. The early part of the game was really, really hard because I let a bunch of units (Frederick, Sumia, Vaike...) die really early, and later I missed out on
FIVE children because I just let their mothers die
. I even let my favourite character die!!!!!! why!!!!

ummm I have a lot to say about this fun game so maybe I'll just wait and see how successful your thread is, first. I like lots and lots of characters. but especially Libra <3, Lon'qu <3, Frederick, Panne, Noire, Henry, Anna, Tharja... everyone!!!! but especially aaaall of the kids.

except with japanese voices, in which case nearly everyone becomes a bunch more boring just with voices alone. JRPG localisation is so good these days!!!

okay zipping it.

This game is fantastic. Probably the single game other than Pokemon that has grabbed my attention for the longest amount of time.

Right now, I'm at the end of my Lunatic Classic playthrough, before the final chapter, doing paralogues 18-23. I entered Paralogue 23, and
oh my god SO MANY UNITS SO MANY MAX-STATS ENEMIES
so right now what I'm doing is maxing a lot of supports while I train 30 good units for that chapter.

I love Henry so much.
I love every character so much.

EDIT: Also, Frederick, though he's kind of boring overall, has the most badass critical line ever. "Pick a god and pray."

Frederick is kind of boring, but kind of makes up for it by being a hilarious dork. I'm not sure how much to hand it to the localisation for that, but his japanese lines generally sound blandly formal rather than long-suffering snark. My favourite lines are "if I may?" and "allow me." maybe if Lon'qu hadn't swept my avatar off her feet, he would have been mine......

much respect for lunatic!! I might go for it in my next play, since hard feels suddenly extremely dull. the only real challenge this time has been training Olivia. :(

speaking of Frederick!! normally, especially in JRPGs, every male character bugs me and I love every female character, but this game (or localisation?) has been very good in having a cast of really good, likeable guys. even the ones with pretty predictable attitudes like Frederick, Chrom and Gaius were actually still really likeable??? I'm even a little fond of english Virion!!!

meanwhile a huge bunch of the women have very fanservicey personalities. :(! in general they are still pretty Great though.

shit I'm already starting to write paragraphs.............. Eifie, help...

Oh yes good this is a great game \o/ I'm on a second playthrough on Hard Casual, trying to get all the support convos. I like Yarne and Nah and Lon'qu and idk everyone is great.

On my first playthrough I didn't get a lot of the children, because I let like all of the male characters die or didn't use them so everyone was unpaired wow laaaame.

but frederick is like seth in sacred stones cause they are super broken and just kill everything in one hit. when i got frederick and miriel married i just stopped using them both.

speaking of favourite characters!! my favourite is sephiworth Virion! then Lon'qu, Sully, Henry and Anna are up there too. also i like the avatar its like i am in a video game and can use a sword and be awesome.

he's just a prepromote, reclass him! I bumped him down to wyvern knight and at that point he's just another character! plus his wyvern is blue it's cute.

that's why reclassing is a thing. when they max out, reclass and they get more skills and their stats will go up higher

frederick is literally only one of three pre-promotes in the entire series who stay useful throughout the entire game after seth and titania. normally because they're prepromotes they only stay relevant for the first five or so chapters before everyone else surpasses them in stats, but thanks to the magic of reclassing he's actually one of the best originals in the game

granted considering the shit they inherit, the children are inherently better than nearly everyone else except for MU

i kind of no-life my game. all three of my files have upwards of 120 hours on them and everybody is so maxed out they don't even gain stats upon leveling anymore, i'm missing like five or so supports for my log, and i've gone through Lunatic+/Classic at least four times now ._.

also gaius is best husbando
I AM ALWAYS READY TO RIDE THE FLAVOR STALLION

Last edited:
you've gone... through... lunatic+/classic......... mad respect...

omg I'm on chapter TWELVE. see how accomplished I am. I am busy with my life ok. but I have to stay home three days in a ROW so maybe I will actually play this game for extended periods of time... or, you know, study and pack like I'm supposed to be doing.

Chrom x Aramis (my avatar) 5eva they'll settle for Sumia and Anna but deep down... </3 </3 </3 Vaike x Lon'qu too but I guess Lon'qu x Panne is cute this is no longer a strategy game it is a shipping game. guys who do you ship. how many of them are actually allowed to get together. I paired Sumia and Kellam together all the time and totally shipped them before noticing that they don't actually get any supports... sigh.

right now I'm trying to train newly-evolved Sumia to level... 15? so she can get galeforce because maybe that can be passed down to her child or something and I apparently have to get it before chapter 13 idk. I'm just pairing Chrom with her and letting him get all the actual kills because she's so WEAK and then having Olivia follow them around and dance while everyone else just stands around being her meat shield. you go Virion. you take those hits without striking back. (leave the kills for Sumia stupid Aramis UGH)

what else was I going to say... oh yeah I never used Frederick because he was a prepromote and I thought he was just like Jagen in Shadow Dragon because I didn't know how second seals worked or anything. I still haven't actually used a second seal. I like all my units the way they are :( I want to use him just to get his c support with Chrom and to hear PICK A GOD AND PRAY.

I guess children are going to happen for me soon... and then I'm going to be really sad because apparently they're just so much better than the parents and does that mean I won't really bother with their parents anymore :( poor Lon'qu... you'll always have a place in my heart...

Cirrus does this suffice.

EIFIE I'VE OVERTAKEN YOU ON MY SECOND FILE......

omg vaike and lon'qu what is your PROBLEM... don't worry I put chrom and panne nearby each other for ages and that's the reason why he married sully out of nowhere ^_^ I was more careful this time. I'm using Sumia too she's also a dark flier! :o (I've never found Galeforce especially worth going out of your way, though.) I expected her to be as fragile as pegasus knights usually are, but somehow she destroyed everything and now she's having a time out for like five chapters. also I made Olivia a myrmidon omg she's going to be a badass ASSASSIN so good

PICK A GOD AND PRAY.

Don't worry I used Lon'qu for the entirety of the game it can be done. also, you probably won't want to use all the children!! if they have a shit parent they're going to be really weak :( so pairing people for the sake of it kind of only works if you just want to see what all the kids are like. I literally can't see all the kids this time because I'm missing just two potential fathers, and I'm not bothering with noire, owain or laurent in lieu of ones I've never seen. noire :( I'll miss you :(

Eifie it's okay. HAHAHA last night I was bored with my usual game so I started a lunatic file I couldn't get past the first battle in the little town...... I managed it once before :( I think I'd try it properly if it looked fun! but I don't like the idea of having to use Frederick even if he is a major cutie... :C

rolls away...

lol, a lot of people think he's like Jagen from the original when they start this one, since like i said, there's one in every game except for Seth in Sacred Stones and Titania in Path of Radiance. it doesn't help that a lot of fans tend to call crutch characters Jagen because he was one of the first haha

galeforce isn't particularly good as a standalone skill, but in conjunction with Lifetaker and/or Vengeance on like, Tharja or Miriel it's pretty great. i wouldn't recommend it unless your characters are going to be godlike, but even then, i'd personally recommend going for acrobat, lucky seven and pass

also i kind of hate how stupid it is to get Chrom to marry Olivia. if she joined you at the end of the /previous/ chapter it would make things so much easier! D:

on my first playthrough i spent a week grinding and three days literally stressing over who i wanted my character to marry before i finally picked Cordelia. by the time i got around to recruiting Morgan and Severa, i was able to give them a couple spears and swords respectively and they started stomping everything all on their own before any of my units were able to do anything else hahaha

SO

My avatar now has an A support with literally every character I've recruited.

Can someone help me on paralogue 23?

Hi it's me I'm back because of this thread I guess.

Currently on Chapter 9, Lunatic/Classic. Was doing great until Lissa took an axe to the face.

I'm finally not playing a bunch every single day!! Once I got to see all the kids with different hair/kids I missed, Awakening slowly stopped being my life. [solemn nod] also olivia and morgan still kind of rule the battlefield so it's not all that fun...... now to grapple with lunatic...

taguel morgan is SO cute though ufufufu

(if anyone likes nozmo of Todd Allison & the Petunia Violet fame, she has an Awakening art blog here and it's beautiful n hilarious n great. she likes libra and frederick just as much as me and henry/ricken a lot more... it's... it's a good blog...)

NO this is the best thread!!!!

I'm still playing a lot! I had a lot more fun on my second playthrough when I managed to get all the kids and actually use them, so I have a full party of great rather than a single 300+ total Morgan.

Gangrel
just got released here, too *o* I'm going to drown in DLC and then I'm going to play again and marry said character. Or Libra. I'm not sure why I haven't married Libra yet. I want an even better game with a girl avatar!!

I've seen a bit of criticism from old fire emblem fans, but I've played a fair few now and I just. nothing before it compares? that's not even to say that Awakening is the best game ever, just in retrospect FE games aren't that great other than fun gameplay. This game amps the gameplay completely, and the script isn't a child's attempt at LotR.

there are lots of little problems (somewhat poor female characters, general fanservice, chrom/sumia support, excellus) but the localisation sorted out a bunch of them (especially making female characters a great deal better). I think from what I've seen the only thing better about the japanese game at all is JP henry. and I'm still okay with localised henry.

I've seen a bit of criticism from old fire emblem fans, but I've played a fair few now and I just. nothing before it compares? that's not even to say that Awakening is the best game ever, just in retrospect FE games aren't that great other than fun gameplay. This game amps the gameplay completely, and the script isn't a child's attempt at LotR.

in terms of story it's just not as good as most of them. FE7 and both Radiance games easily have some of the best stories in the series along with Seisen/Genealogy. Awakening's story, while not poorly written, could've been done much, much better; they could've done to improve/develop upon Chrom's and Lucina's character much more than they did, and it was a bit disappointing when compared to the development of say, Ike, who gradually grew into his role and rank and became much more mature over the course of his game.

i do like the distant connections it shares with FE1 and 3 by way of Tiki and its lore, though. but i feel that being the same setting as the original Fire Emblem, but 2000 years later, i can't help but feel that the continent wasn't quite as fleshed out as much as it could've been

FE7 is just kind of... silly to me. I never really realised the FE plots were meant to be in any way good, it just kind of always felt like there was a much bigger focus on gameplay. :( I wanted to like their stories!

Chrom is the only lord/main character I've ever particularly liked, but I wish Lucina hadn't really been totally dropped after we discover her identity. There's a big deal made about how she's the third member of the important trio, but as soon as she stops being Marth it's like she's abandoned. The time travel was a bit too weird to just let the player stop thinking about it.

Ylisse seems like the only FE continent that actually feels real, too!! Maybe I should go back and replay old FEs, but their plots and scripts always felt so embarrassing... though I suppose I can barely remember them.

lol, well Fire Emblem was always meant to be rather melodramatic, and had always been about, up until Awakening, the underdogs pulling through in the end

Ylisse felt like it wanted to seem real to me, but it just wasn't that fleshed out or realistic. it felt moreso in FE1, 2 and 3, but even then, Tellius from the Radiant games was easily the most well-done setting; it had its own set of rules, laws, and very active governments that actually did things and affected outcomes for what happened in addition to Ike's struggles. not to mention it's like, he spends an entire game fighting for this continent, and he wins and saves it from a mad king (who's way better than Gangrel in every way), but then its sequel is like, "Oh by the way, everything's actually worse off than it was before because a continent would never actually just outright recover from a war just like that"
EDIT: lol not country, Tellius was an entire continent with several smaller countries in it my bad whoops

in Awakening it felt like things just happened. like there wasn't much in the way of consequences or what have you. like, "Yeah, we're going to war with this other country! Oh shit their leader won't die. Whoops we screwed up. Oh well we won in the end, everything's perfectly okay!" and then it suddenly moves on to part of the story it had barely touched for like four chapters and apparently Ylisse's population was still good even though they lost their leader and they recovered oddly quickly from things. i didn't really feel that much in the story outside of the supports and the one choice you had to make at the end of the game :<

if they had dropped the whole dragon thing and dragged out the whole thing with Walhart, i feel the story could've been more interesting, but it ended up feeling more like the weekly 20 episode long filler that we had to sit through while waiting for the main story to come back

Maybe I'll play Tellius games!! Awakening did drop a lot of the attempt at detailed politics in 7 and 8 so it really was kinda limited. It would be nice if there were a more ambitious sequel since Ylisse really is kinda cool, I quite like Plegia and there's surely more to Ferox......

I quite like Gangrel!! But I'm not sure why they went down the "mad king" route at all? He's not mad he's angry at the Ylisse nation previously being completely awful to his country and that was interesting. and omg, why would the whole of Plegia just sort of... forgive Ylisse because of
Emmeryn's sacrifice??? It's a sad part of the game but it wasn't particularly meaningful..... it just showed that Ylisse cared a lot about its heirloom....... (Mustafa was great though)

OOP I guess I had more criticism than I thought. Criticism does make sense!! But I still think this lack of ambition worked a lot better than "uhhh here are some names!!! and stuff!" of the other three I've played. :V

Back
Top Bottom