• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Strange/Stupid/Amusing Moments in Pokemon Gaming...

This might count as strange:
I was the first person the man came to after the Musical. He said my performance was very cute. Sure, with all those girly-looking Props... But the Pokémon was a Scolipede. Is she really so irresistible, or is it just that resistance is futile against her? He also said that it was "not highly noticeable." I don't think the other Pokémon were bigger or something. How is a giant centipede with a grass skirt "not highly noticeable?"

EDIT: There's a Backpacker who says that your Pokémon is very cool when you defeat her. I've just defeated her... with a Vanillish.

Last edited:
[name] snapped out of confusion! [name] used Confusion!
This has happened several times.
Also there was that Kricketune. It used Bide. I had low HP. I had attacked it while it was using Bide. I used Confusion. It got confused. It confusefailed, giving me enough time to win.

[name] snapped out of confusion! [name] used Confusion!
This has happened several times.
Also there was that Kricketune. It used Bide. I had low HP. I had attacked it while it was using Bide. I used Confusion. It got confused. It confusefailed, giving me enough time to win.

I sometimes got this:
Foe [enemy Pokémon] used [confusing move]!
But [my Pokémon] is already confused!
[my Pokémon] snapped out of confusion!
Mostly with Tentacruel and Chinchou in Gold.

And some situations in Black, when fighting a Frillish:
It's not a Tentacool, so I can use Mega Drain. (this is normal)
Or...:
*sends out another Pokémon*
Oh no, so many moves that are weak against Water...
*uses a Normal-type move*
Aargh! I realize it isn't part Poison and doesn't have Liquid Ooze, but I keep forgetting that it's part Ghost!
*uses a Water-type move*
Not Water Absorb!

I play on an emulator, and sometimes I mess up Load and Save (mostly happens when I switch between emulators). Once I saved after defeating Lugia. At other times I trained one or two Pokémon 10 levels up and then loaded to where I started playing that day. And in Black, I managed to save the opening screen to the first slot. Luckily, my second slot was already in N's Castle and I hadn't battled him yet.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is strange, but I've just defeated a Shelmet with two Gusts and several turns of Leech Seed while asleep.

Last edited:
Against Whitney:

TOGEPI used METRONOME!
TOGEPI used ROAR OF TIME!
Scenti fainted! (my Furret)
Rozie sent out Maximum! (my Magmar - traded, I'm a dirty cheater)
Maximum used Flamethrower!
Maximum's attack missed!
TOGEPI used METRONOME!
TOGEPI used SPACIAL REND!
A critical hit!
Maximum fainted!

WHAT.

Against Whitney:

TOGEPI used METRONOME!
Maximum's attack missed!
TOGEPI used METRONOME!
A critical hit!
Maximum fainted!

WHAT.

The only thing missing is Shadow Force.

Against Whitney:

TOGEPI used METRONOME!
Maximum's attack missed!
TOGEPI used METRONOME!
A critical hit!
Maximum fainted!

WHAT.

But...Whitney doesn't have a Togepi...

But I also have an amusing Whitney tale, from HeartGold

Me: Hm, Miltank's tough, so I should cripple it. I'll have my Flaaffy use Thunder Wave

*selects Thunder Wave*

Me: CRAP WAIT IT HAS A LUM BERRY

Miltank used Stomp!

Flaaffy's Static paralyzed foe's Miltank!

Miltank ate its Lum Berry and cured its status!

Flaaffy used Thunder Wave!

Miltank was paralyzed!

Me:...cool

Last edited:
Long before I knew anything about EVs, I chose to train Pokémon that mostly had physical moves in areas with Pokémon that have low Defense. The most reliable low-Defense area was obviously the sea. (Now that I know about EVs, I am capable of training Suicune there, which could be considered strange as well.) Eevee, as a Normal-type, has never learned many special moves by level up, so my second one in Crystal got a lot of experience from jellyfish. Since I considered happiness evolutions the most difficult ones, and my first Eevee had already evolved into Espeon, I wanted the second one to be an Umbreon, and only trained him in the evening.
Now, you see, I don't usually care about EVs, but sometimes my mind goes weird and I go surfing in order to direct one Pokémon's stats slightly towards Special Defense. Umbreon has quite high Defensive stats, and among the mostly offensive Dark-types, his Special Defense is unusually high. So what looked like Special Defense-oriented EV training was actually Special Defense-oriented Eevee training.

my first time fighting brock. I was down to my kakuna... and hilarity ensued.

KAKUNA used Harden!
ONIX used Bide!

That went on until I ran out of PP for harden and he killed me with tackle.

my first time fighting brock. I was down to my kakuna... and hilarity ensued.

KAKUNA used Harden!
ONIX used Bide!

That went on until I ran out of PP for harden and he killed me with tackle.

This is why you evolve your Weedle into a Kakuna. You keep Poison Sting.

The enemy Watchog uses Bide! (Me: shitshitshit)
Stenr uses Low Kick! It's super effective! (Me: Shiiiiiit)
OHKO!
Me: HELL YES

So I restarted my Platinum a couple of days ago, and there has allready been some stuff going on.
First of all, I was looking for a geodude for rock smash and whatnot before facing Roark and for some reason I wanted a male one. I found like 15 geodudes and some Onixes and all of them were female. Just when I was about to give up I found a male one.

I think it was against Fantina or one of the gym trainers that I got really lucky. Her Haunter had gotten in a confuse ray and a hypnosis. The next turn? [name] woke up and snapped out of confusion! [name] used [move]! Critical hit!

Last edited:
In my Platinum game, I was up against Candice, and my team was seriously underleveled (Because I wanted a well rounded team instead of just one super strong Pokemon.) My Staraptor, who knew Fly and Close Combat, destroyed teh first three Pokemon, but it got KO'd by Froslass. MyJolteon was up, and it knew Shock Wave, so it wouldn't miss in the hail. Jolteon was faster, so it attacked first. Though Froslass use Blizard and it got my Jolteon to 1 HP (After hail hit it too). The I destroyed the Froslass, bt the weird thing? Jolteon's base HP was 69. I don't know why, but 69 is my lucky number.

I yelled at my Reuniclus to give me a Critical Hit Psychic in Black today. It listened. I felt like a god for a few seconds.

I was playing Platinum a few weeks (or was it months?) back, and my Togepi used Metronome, getting in two Shadow Forces in a row. I just stared blankly and nearly fainted on the spot.

Stella let out a roar!

Stella, you're a Staryu, what are you doing? More importantly, how are you doing that?

Was more than halfway through my current game of Black (storyline, not whole game) and I finally looked at the gender of my Emboar. Female. Rare as hell and I got it. My only problem. Emboar, like every starter except Serperior and Meganium, LOOKS TOO MALE TO BE FEMALE.

On another note, I bred it later for a male Tepig and used the child for the end of the storylinge and on as an Emboar. That one? Saved my ass against Ghetsis. Two shot Hydreigon with Brick Break.

Quite a few ridiculous situations.
I beat Fantina with my lv.10 Togepi. She used ominous wind, I used Metronome/Shadow Ball.
I also ended up beating Lance's Kingdra with a lv.15 Wooper. It spammed Surf while I spammed Slam.
And then, in my brother's nuzlocke, I commented on how long his starter live. And then it died. Later, I asked how he would feel if his paras died. And guess who died?
......I'm a death jinx.

I've got one other one. I have to remove my nuzlocke post from the thread here because... well... I didn't catch any Pokemon except a lvl 2 Zigzagoon. And only got my Treecko to like lvl 7. And got beat by the Magma grunt in the forest after Petalburg. His Poochyena just spammed Sand-Attack until I just wasn't hitting anymore, and then killed both my Pokemon with tackle. TACKLE! I feel really bad now.

Back
Top Bottom