• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

So This Is About To Get Awkward...

Hey not arguing with ya or anything (to each their own and so on), just a bit confused - how can you 'hate' g5 without having played it? that seems a bit... intense maybe? I mean i could understand 'dislike', or 'not interested in', or something but.

i dunno hate seems a bit strong for one you haven't played at all?

Because I looked over the list of the new pokemon... and I don't know. I just didn't like them. Maybe I outgrew it or something. I mean, hell I haven't played a pokemon game in years really, and I sold my DS Lite a long time ago. I don't even own a DS anymore, just my GBC. You're right, maybe 'not interested in' is a better word than 'hate'. My brain was just being lazy. They just... I don't know... It's like they're one step away from being like... neopets or something. No idea, but starting gen III I felt like they just got more and more... what's the word... cartoony? No idea what I'm trying to say, but I hope my point gets across.

hmm I do see what you mean, yes (aside from them being more like Neopets, since it'd say g1 was more like them - Neopets as a whole have rather simple designs, like the early 'mons. oops i'm a neopet nerd sorry). This links back to the 'to each their own' thing, also! since I like the more complex, newer designs for the most part. G5 seems to have struck a nice balance for my aesthetic senses - not as crazy complex as Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh critters are, but not as overly simplistic as, say... Tamigachi or something.

and there's nothing wrong with having a different sense of that kind of thing than someone else, as long as you don't start trumpeting how the stuff you (general you) find attractive is somehow better than what others do! this goes for more than Pokemon but that's what we're talking about, so. It's okay to find g1, or g4 or so on more pleasing to the eye than say g2 or g5, but remember, as long as you don't become a jerk genwunner, or any other gen for that matter, we're good.

this post sort of rambles on i'm sorry

However, I didn't expect there were so many Gen III fans here... That's probably because when it came out, you were all the same age I was when Gen II came out, and Gen II had the biggest impact in my life. I really devoted myself to Pokémon during Gen II.

Okay, what.

Playing the first generation of games is my fondest childhood memory. I was more obsessed than anyone else when it came to RBY. I had a handbook of Pokemon that I memorized verbatim, and I could literally tell you every Mon's height, weight, and what level it evolves. I was the Rain Man of Pokemon, I shit you not.

And yet, despite my reverence for the first gen, I still concede that RSE is the best generation. It had many of my favorite Pokemon, the overworld is wonderful, and it introduced so many great new features (secret bases, contests, the trick house). I have to say I'd still rate it as:

3>1>2=5>4

I've already stated my reasons a few pages ago. Worst Elite Four, worst gym leaders, worst storyline, worst overworld (maybe more complex but it doesn't make it better), generally bad Pokémon, and other stuff I brought up in my post.
yeah I know, but what I don't get is that you're still arguing about it as though it's objectively bad when several people have come up and said that they like it.

One interesting fact about Gen III is that it introduced a lot of Pokémon with great Attack and Special Attack, paper-thin defenses and crap Speed. Camerupt, Cacturne, Seviper, Sharpedo (the fastest of them), from the top of my head. The bad thing for them is that Choice Scarf was only introduced in Gen IV.
fascinating! my point was that every generation brings pokemon that kind of suck and pokemon that are kind of neat. I don't battle competitively, so that means basically nothing to me, and how good a pokemon is competitively adds nothing to how good the generation is. I like Hoenn because of its scenery and variety and design and all that kind of stuff because that's what I'm interested in.

And, of course, there's the fact the Gen I remakes weren't nearly as good as the Gen II remakes in Gen IV. Johto Pokémon were treated like bastard children, being given only the Sevii Islands. The music in FRLG was badly remixed IMO. World Tournament in B2W2 has a much cooler Kanto gym leader track.
oh yeah, frlg is kind of terrible. I'll give you that. It makes very little sense for them to try and relocate johto to a few small islands when really they could have just put the actual johto region in there, or at least part of it.

Finally, since you predictably brought up Unown... At least Unown is relevant to the storyline. They even made a movie about Unown. Luvdisc...? Heck, Luvdisc is even more pointless in Gens IV and V with the NPCs that give you Heart Scales when you show them certain Pokémon and moves.
I brought up unown because I find them similarly uninteresting to the games: I don't watch the movies and couldn't care less about how integral they are to the plot. They look kind of ugly and they're more or less useless to the games unless you feel like catching them all. They're gimmick pokemon, just like luvidisc. See also: delibird, farfetch'd, ditto, castform, chatot, etc. They don't do anything largely because they're supposed to be novelty pokemon. Pointing at luvdisc and going 'see! Hoenn is stupid' is entirely missing the point. Every generation has gimmick pokemon. They're supposed to suck, much like how certain pokemon are designed to be really good, like Metagross or something. Game Freak do put a lot of thought into how the games are set up! There's always the same kinds of pokemon in every game: ubers, niche pokemon, gimmicks, etc. etc. It's just not a valid reason to dislike a generation, because every generation does this.

Not really. I started with Blue and I now think it's crap. I can't stand the game mechanics. The game has become better and better with each generation. Incidentally, I think the shortest leap forward was with Gen III (although arguably Gen V is a strong contender since it barely innovated in anything).
Abilities? Forms? EVs/IVs? Contests? Secret Bases? Rehauled berries? that's a short leap forward to you?

Gen III didn't even have backwards compatibility, and my favourite Pokémon was only available in Emerald, and only after the Elite Four!
Gen III could not have had backwards compatibility. It's not as though Game Freak just kinda went "fuck it! no backwards compatibility for Hoenn! haha!". If Sinnoh or Unova were gen III you'd have the same complaint. It's hardly fair to discredit a game because of technological differences that couldn't be helped. It sucked, sure, but it's not a fault of gen III, it's a fault of a new console and a change in how pokemon were encoded into the game.
Really, that kind of leap from GSC to RSE was kind of necessary and somewhat makes the games what they are today.

I was 13 when I started playing Gen II. You were probably 13 when you started playing Gen III. This is a remarkable age for many people, which influences our judgment. Gen II has a lot of flaws (Chalumeau went through them in detail, although I don't agree with em about the game not aging well), but to me it's dearest because it's what I was playing in my pre-teens and teen years, when I was old enough to have a better understanding of the game, yet young enough to be overwhelmed by it.
see also: all the people who were 13 when GSC came around and still prefer Hoenn. You can't keep saying this when it's kind of obviously not true?? I was ten when sapphire came out and I never had emerald, anyway. D/P came out when I was fifteen, so really this ~remarkable age~ came about for me when no new games were coming out at all!

Was it generation 3 or 4 that they intruduced the 3D thing? Like not the real 3D like the 3DS, but like being able to go under stuff? I think it was four, where I got stuck because I didn't realize I could go under this cycling bridge thing for like four hours. >.<

you totally ignored everything I said didn't you

I didn't ignore, but you said the same thing ultraviolet said so I didn't bother to quote you.

your player character freaking moved from Johto what are you talking about

That's probably the only reference in the entire game, and it's so en passant that I completely missed it.

yeah I know, but what I don't get is that you're still arguing about it as though it's objectively bad when several people have come up and said that they like it.

I'm not arguing, I'm just expressing my opinion, but people feel the need to defend their darling Gen III so it goes on and on...

fascinating! my point was that every generation brings pokemon that kind of suck and pokemon that are kind of neat. I don't battle competitively, so that means basically nothing to me, and how good a pokemon is competitively adds nothing to how good the generation is. I like Hoenn because of its scenery and variety and design and all that kind of stuff because that's what I'm interested in.

Well I play Pokémon because of the creatures themselves. A good overworld helps, and Hoenn's happens to be my least favourite of them all, even behind Kanto which is as minimalist as it can get.

Regarding the Pokémon themselves, Hoenn had the most rehashes of all the regions. I ended up using many Pokémon that resembled the old ones, stat- or appearance-wise, but what I really wanted to use were the old Pokémon. Unova was a much better reboot in this regard IMO.

I brought up unown because I find them similarly uninteresting to the games: I don't watch the movies and couldn't care less about how integral they are to the plot. They look kind of ugly and they're more or less useless to the games unless you feel like catching them all. They're gimmick pokemon, just like luvidisc. See also: delibird, farfetch'd, ditto, castform, chatot, etc. They don't do anything largely because they're supposed to be novelty pokemon. Pointing at luvdisc and going 'see! Hoenn is stupid' is entirely missing the point. Every generation has gimmick pokemon. They're supposed to suck, much like how certain pokemon are designed to be really good, like Metagross or something. Game Freak do put a lot of thought into how the games are set up! There's always the same kinds of pokemon in every game: ubers, niche pokemon, gimmicks, etc. etc. It's just not a valid reason to dislike a generation, because every generation does this.

Yeah but, even among those derps, Luvdisc manages to suck! There's nothing redeeming about it. Luvdisc gets beaten by the base forms of most Pokémon. It isn't even a good way of farming Heart Scales either.

Abilities? Forms? EVs/IVs? Contests? Secret Bases? Rehauled berries? that's a short leap forward to you?

Abilities - Probably the most important.

Formes - Only Deoxys had formes and it was an event Pokémon, so, not really relevant. Don't know if Castform's changes count as formes...

EVs/IVs - The EV overhaul was the single thing that made me hate Gen III. As for IVs, they have existed since Gen I.

Contests - Gimmick at its best. Once they realized no one was interested in them, they moved them to a single city in Emerald, and toned them down even further in Gen IV. Really, Contests were created to give some use to Pokémon that sucked competitively, but most people are interested in the battles, so it backfired tremendously. Waste of space, if you ask me.

Secret Bases - Reminiscent of the player's bedroom from Gen II.

Rehauled Berries - The only good ones were the pinch Berries, which you needed Colosseum/XD to be able to get a large number of them.

You forgot Natures, which made the in-game annoying because a -Speed nature could spell doom against the Elite Four, for example.

Gen III could not have had backwards compatibility. It's not as though Game Freak just kinda went "fuck it! no backwards compatibility for Hoenn! haha!". If Sinnoh or Unova were gen III you'd have the same complaint. It's hardly fair to discredit a game because of technological differences that couldn't be helped. It sucked, sure, but it's not a fault of gen III, it's a fault of a new console and a change in how pokemon were encoded into the game.
Really, that kind of leap from GSC to RSE was kind of necessary and somewhat makes the games what they are today.

In hindsight, it was a good thing, but back then people were hugely disappointed.

see also: all the people who were 13 when GSC came around and still prefer Hoenn. You can't keep saying this when it's kind of obviously not true?? I was ten when sapphire came out and I never had emerald, anyway. D/P came out when I was fifteen, so really this ~remarkable age~ came about for me when no new games were coming out at all!

Well I was 13 when GSC came out and prefer Sinnoh! And Johto with Gen IV mechanics. The Physical/Special split was the single most important breakthrough in the history of Pokémon.

And I'm done arguing because we're going around in circles. I don't want to sound like a troll or something.

Last edited:
Well, here goes nothing...

4 > 3 > 5 > 1 > 2

Why Gen 4? Well...

1) Great, vast, expansive region.
2) Items such as Choice Scarf/Specs, the berries which reduced SE damage taken, and Life Orb which revolutionized competitive battling.
3) The most interesting in-game - not overly hard (yeah, I'm looking at Gen 5 here), but sufficiently challenging to make the game interesting all the way through.
4) Many interesting new Pokemon.
5) The most revolutionary and game-changing move in the history of Pokemon: Stealth Rock.
6) Physical/Special split.
7) GTS/Wi-Fi play. Say what you want, but this was massive.

*ducks*

I'm not arguing, I'm just expressing my opinion, but people feel the need to defend their darling Gen III so it goes on and on...
oh, I see. we aren't expressing our opinions, we're 'defending our darling Gen III'. I dunno, I just feel like you're being pretty unfair to Hoenn! I get that this is largely personal preference, but whining about luvdisc and how RSE isn't backwards compatible is so moot that it's hardly even relevant. also justifying people liking Hoenn because they were probably 13 when they came out is ... kind of like saying "oh well I'm not actually wrong because of this justification which makes you guys liking Hoenn invalid".

I mean hell, you're the one that started off by ragging on hoenn because of one pokemon in response to nobody when it wasn't even relevant, so it does kind of seem like you're just looking for an excuse to say hoenn sucks?

Yeah but,
No, you're ignoring what I even said. it is supposed to suck. yes, obviously one pokemon has to suck the most, and that happens to be luvdisc. I honestly don't get what you're trying to prove with luvdisc being crappy. This is not news to anybody who's ever seen a gimmick pokemon before. All pokemon games have pokemon like this, not just RSE.

Besides, I like luvdisc because it's cute! luvdisc

Formes - Only Deoxys had formes and it was an event Pokémon, so, not really relevant. Don't know if Castform's changes count as formes...
yes, they do, and that's kinda what I meant anyway because I only remember that event pokemon exist every so often.

Contests - Gimmick at its best. Once they realized no one was interested in them, they moved them to a single city in Emerald, and toned them down even further in Gen IV. Really, Contests were created to give some use to Pokémon that sucked competitively, but most people are interested in the battles, so it backfired tremendously. Waste of space, if you ask me.
how were they toned down further in gen IV? You do more in contests in gen IV than you do in gen III. Presumably they moved them all in Emerald because it was kinda sucky to go from town to town winning contests and they were in a really weird order, too. If Game Freak thought they weren't that successful, why did they include events like contests in later generations (musical, pokeathlon, contests in sinnoh)? Hell, they even kept pokeblocks (poffins/aprijuice). Why are they present in the anime? You yourself said that unown being present in the movies gives them some significance, and I don't see why having a main character in the anime as a pokemon coordinator doesn't do the same for contests.

You not thinking that they're particularly interesting does not mean "no one was interested in them". Evidently they do have an audience, otherwise Game Freak wouldn't keep making stuff like them. Besides, I like them and I know other people do, too.

Well I was 13 when GSC came out and prefer Sinnoh! And Johto with Gen IV mechanics. The Physical/Special split was the single most important breakthrough in the history of Pokémon.
????
I was 13 when I started playing Gen II. You were probably 13 when you started playing Gen III. This is a remarkable age for many people, which influences our judgment. Gen II has a lot of flaws [...], but to me it's dearest because it's what I was playing in my pre-teens and teen years, when I was old enough to have a better understanding of the game, yet young enough to be overwhelmed by it.
I only even brought up the 13 thing because this is what you said in the first place. I don't understand.
Lyra Heartstrings said:
I never understand why you do this. Nobody's angry or even arguing with you in the first place, and it's not like we're all killing each other about which generation is the best!!!1! like, calm down. ^o.o^ it's okay.

Excuse me for being, like, four when I started mooching off of my sibling's GBCs. Excuse me for my first personal system being my GBA and my first game being Sapphire. Why is one person's experience more valid than the other? Sure, I committed the awful crime of never playing RGBY (but I think I would blow a gasket over how unbalanced everything is and other gameplay changes), but I poured over the Gen I and Gen II Pokedex books. I can still name every Pokemon (even if I sometimes forget Quilfish, the Luvdisc of Johto).

And since I don't think I ever gave my actual order: 5>3>2>1>4.

Besides, I like luvdisc because it's cute! luvdisc

i'd totes use one! i'm all for fucking around with weak or gimmicky Pokémon (i tried to play through SS with a team of NU's once, I once got past Fortree in Emerald with a Zigzagoon - not a Linoone - as a team member, in my original Ruby file I raised a Minun and a Dustox to level 30-something before I stopped playing, etc). only problem is that Luvdisc comes too late in the game for me to want to use it.
and imo luvdisc > unown, at least luvdisc can get some semblance of coverage! i would never use an unown on my team but I'd use just about any other gimmicky 'mon except maaaybe ditto.

i'd totes use one! i'm all for fucking around with weak or gimmicky Pokémon (i tried to play through SS with a team of NU's once, I once got past Fortree in Emerald with a Zigzagoon - not a Linoone - as a team member, in my original Ruby file I raised a Minun and a Dustox to level 30-something before I stopped playing, etc). only problem is that Luvdisc comes too late in the game for me to want to use it.
and imo luvdisc > unown, at least luvdisc can get some semblance of coverage! i would never use an unown on my team but I'd use just about any other gimmicky 'mon except maaaybe ditto.
I had a mono-Water in Ruby once that included Corsola, Luvdisc, Seaking, and Whiscash.

5>3>1=4>2

I wasn't able to actually play gen. 2, but every time I replay HGSS the game just...gets stale for me really quickly.

3>5>4>2=1

Well, my first game was Sapphire, so I guess I just really like gen III. Gen 5 was okay. Gen 4 was pretty sucky because whenever I play through my Platinum it's just... really slow. HGSS was okay. I've only played GSC on an emulator, and the game is cool but not as enjoyable as its remakes, and I've just never played Gen 1.

3>5>1>4>2

Gen four was my first game, so obviously I loved it at the time it came out (or else I probably wouldn't have gotten another game) but eventually I realized how boring it was. The storyline was boring and many Pokemon were just... Meh. In fact, the only reason it didn't tie with gen two was because Sinnoh had a large region, my favorite villain (Cyrus) and (in Platinum) the Distortion World and having a home that wasn't carved into a rock.

The reason Gen 2 got so low on the list was because of the bland storyline (far too similar to Gen 1), Meganium, and the fairly easy Gym Leaders. Also, you know how people say gen five had too many inanimate object Pokemon? Well I say gen two didn't have enough. They all looked too much like cute little forest animals to me. I like having a purple chandelier or a bunch of magnets on my team.

EDIT: I just realized that everything I wrote was negative.
HERE ARE THE GOOD THINGS.

My favorite region is third gen because it just had so many completely wonderful things. It had many amazing Pokemon, such as Zangoose, Seviper, Absol, and it was the only region where I liked all of the starters and their evolutions. The secret bases were great, (even though what I said about them earlier, although that could have applied to fourth gen as well). The towns had some pretty awesome designs too. I'll admit that the contests weren't all that great.

Gen five is just gen five. Amazing graphics, along with the new battle effects such as animation and zooming, along with the new Pokemon.
Vanilluxe :D

And finally, gen 1. I'm pretty neutral about this gen, but I guess it's nice because it was the starting point of the whole series.

Last edited:
I guess I never did make a neat listy list

3 > 2 = 1 > 5 > 4

That's not to say I don't love all of the games, I have fond memories of all of them and I wouldn't get rid of any of them. I just happen to be fondest of the first three gens.

2=3>5>4>1

I've never really played R/B/Y and have never played FR/LG so don't get mad at me for putting it last 8[ The closest thing to Kanto I've played is from Crystal and SoulSilver

As for II and III, I played both growing up and absolutely loved them

Considering Gen II introduced Quagsire and a bunch of other great Pokemon; Gen III introduced Zangoose, the Mudkip line (my favorite starter line) and a bunch of other great Pokemon, as well as cool towns and stuff I rank them equally.

Last edited:
3>5>2>4>1

All I really judge a generation on are its designs and atmosphere, and Gen 3 and 5 are the only ones that appeal to me in both manners (similarly, 1 is the only one that doesn't appeal in either). I'm always going to love Gen 3 the most though because Latias and big story with a girl I love and all that jazz. I tend to be obsessed with the most current generation, though. Progress and stuff.

Probably 5 > 4=3 > 1 > 2, on a scale of the games. I don't really have a gen preference when it comes to the pokemon themselves.

GSC was fun for a bit, but for some reason I always got bored with the game by the time I beat Claire, and on the occasion that I did ever decide to try the elite four, I was for some reason never motivated enough to beat the Kanto leaders. B/W is my favorite so far, mostly because I really liked the plot.

Back
Top Bottom