• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon X/Y

Was really hoping for RSE remakes, but then again Yet Another Reason for Absoul to Get a 3DS isn't that bad either. If I do get, I'm leaning towards X and Fennekin.

Found some interesting speculation about the legendaries. :o

Xerneas and Yveltal might be based on the stag and eagle that reside in Yggdrasil, suggesting that there might be a third legendary based on the wyrm who lives there, too? Hræsvelgr the giant-eagle usually represents death (dark-type? ghost?), while the stag Eikþyrnir usually represents life. Which also ties into the spirit deer in Japanese mythology, representing the life of a forest. Yay, duality! I'm not way on top of my Norse mythology, so this theory might sound stupid, but Game Freak probably aren't either.

I mean this isn't much more than vaguely cool, but if they are running closely with this then a wyrm third legendary sounds likely (Nidhogg??). I liked that the third RSE legendary was the one that was a dragon, rather than the box ones, so. that'd be nice to see again.

... ... I'm not sure why they're going for norse mythology in fake-Paris, though. but I'm not really predicting the whole region is based on France, that'd be a bit weird. so it could work.

EDIT: also apparently there's a squirrel called Ratatoskr who runs up and down the tree like a messenger for the other legendaries inhabitants. potential Mew-like thing for this gen? :o

Last edited:
Lots of legendaries seem to be a little outside of their home range, really. Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza are partially based on the Leviathan, Behemoth and Ziz, which are not Japanese in origin; meanwhile, Taoism isn't exactly dominant in New York, and New York isn't where The Three Musketeers took place, either. Norse legends in France are entirely possible. Maybe Poké-France needed to borrow from Scandinavia because New York already yoinked something from them. :P

Xerneas and Yveltal might be based on the stag and eagle that reside in Yggdrasil, suggesting that there might be a third legendary based on the wyrm who lives there, too? Hræsvelgr the giant-eagle usually represents death (dark-type? ghost?), while the stag Eikþyrnir usually represents life. Which also ties into the spirit deer in Japanese mythology, representing the life of a forest.

So Xerneas might be a Grass-type? Yay, we're getting a Grass legendary that looks majestic!

It would be a pretty new thing for them to have a prominent grass-type that isn't green, though. It would be interesting but I don't really see them doing it. :(

They'll prooooobably just do water because blue, which at least doesn't sit badly with the life theme, and I'm imagining the spirit deer from Mononoke walking across the lake. So cool. But psychic would be okay, if they went with a life > death thing with a dark or ghost Yveltal. I wish things with wings didn't have to have a type slot taken up for it. :c

A poison Yveltal would be the best.

I think Game Freak tends to go a bit more conceptional with legendaries', so don't rule out grass just yet. I mean, Palkia's Water/Dragon.

Yveltal looks really cool and there's just something about it that makes me like it way more than Xerneas :o will happily get Pokemon Y

Flygon, Druddigon, Hydreigon, Scizor, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Giratina, Dunsparce, Lati@s say hi!

(this is kinda off-topic but) Strangely, most of those have dragon type for a slot instead.

Also, I'm curious to see if we have hms anymore or not. Gen V really limited their use, maybe this one will get rid of them outright? and I really hope we keep the reusable TM feature.

Oooh, no HMs would be interesting! I've always wanted surfboards, flashlights, etc. Maybe Flight will be replaced by a personal davinicicopter! If so, it'd be cool if they kept the option to use the moves, though, since nothing is quite so fun as Flying around on a spearow.

I don't mind the general concept of needing special moves to access certain parts of the overworld, so I'd rather they didn't do away with HMs as such; the problem's more that most of them are only average at best as battle moves, and it sucks to have them either take up a moveslot or take up a spot on your team for an HM slave. I saw someone working on a conceptual fanregion that instead had "travel abilities", which were basically HMs but occupying a separate part of the pokémon's movepool. That way you could still teach a pokémon to fly you wherever or move a rock, but they weren't necessarily doomed to wasting a moveslot. (Not that it matters much in the case of something like surf or waterfall, but even then, you could do something like teach surf to a water-type with really bad special attack, say gyarados, and still be able to swim around without gyarados being forced to run a move that hits off the wrong stat.)

Now if they wanted to do something like that, I'd be preeeetty happy.

Oooh, no HMs would be interesting! I've always wanted surfboards, flashlights, etc. Maybe Flight will be replaced by a personal davinicicopter! If so, it'd be cool if they kept the option to use the moves, though, since nothing is quite so fun as Flying around on a spearow.

Fly is different from all the other HMs though as it's not needed to complete the game (as far as I know!) and is just there for convenience's sake, so it wouldn't make much to Fly if the moves were kept but the need for them was taken away.

Fly is different from all the other HMs though as it's not needed to complete the game (as far as I know!) and is just there for convenience's sake, so it wouldn't make much to Fly if the moves were kept but the need for them was taken away.

!! in rse cut isn't required to beat the game; in bw surf isn't required to beat the game.

I figured there was more than just surf but it's been a while since i played white so.

amusingly, there is a hack which requires fly to reach the sootopolis equivalent.

I honestly don't see why everyone is getting so excited. I always preferred the use use of sprites to what they're going with. I don't like any of the starters. I really like Xerneas though. That thing is awesome.

I honestly don't see why everyone is getting so excited. I always preferred the use use of sprites to what they're going with.

Because it's a new gen! That's big! Also, how can you have a 'preference' already ... :V

tumblr_mhkvjxqR5i1rsvqtto1_400.png

Most people think these are fake which is a shame because Pitoyui (the bird) is a cutie. :C

Back
Top Bottom