• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

This is going to be my referee test battle, so I will, of course, not be battling. 1. Luftballoon will be. I will be refereeing.
If you decide to use a rental team, please say which six Pokemon, as well as abilities and items, you would like so that I may put them in the starting post of the battle. You may do so through visitor message or private message, if you would prefer. If any of the items are lucky eggs I will be moderately upset with you.

2vs2 Single
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for either participant.

I'll battle Luftballoon

An open challenge!

Format: 2v2 single
Style: Set
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 25%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct recovery moves, Rest, Wish, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena Description: The Arid, Extra-Dry Desert

In his Kingdom-wide search for his father's Holy MacGuffin, The Omskivar braved the expanse of The Arid, Extra-Dry Desert, which is exactly what it sounds like: a constantly-shifting mass of sandy dunes, rife with danger in the forms of rock scorpions, giant giant centipedes, and plaques of bronzed and honey-dipped locusts. What better use for this mesa of malice, but a Pokemon battle? Why, none! So battle we shall!

Sandstorm is always in effect while battlers are in the Arid, Extra-Dry Desert, however Rock-types do not receive the Special Defense boost; the weather cannot be changed. Thankfully, The Omskivar managed to pull some strings at The Shore, the local cruise line, through a contact in his guild, the Department of Shadowy Arts and Crafts, and so both battlers are wearing their UV-resistant compasses. The harsh weather is, unfortunately, the least of their worries, for at the end of each round, each Pokemon will receive an effect at random. The effects are as follows:

Tenuous Grip On Reality: The lack of water and beating sun will cause the Pokemon to go mildly insane, ruining their concentration. The afflicted battler will suffer a -3 Special Attack drop that cannot be removed (but does not ignore the ±6 limits), and Psychic attacks will cost 1.5x the normal amount of energy to perform.
Turned Into A Skeleton: The harrowing sandstorm gives the Pokemon a really, really deep exfoliation. When it's done, all that's left is skin and bones, only without the skin. While still able to battle, the Pokemon's weight is halved, and any Physical attack made against them has an additional stage added to its critical hit ratio.
Sunburned: The battler is afflicted with a horrible sunburn. Because it hurts to move, attacks that require movement have a default -1 priority, so long as their priority is neutral. Priority moves keep their priority, but have a flat 2% recoil.
Missing All Your Teeth: The Pokemon stumbles upon a half-buried, irradiated shack, and scavenges a piece of anticheese. 5% health is restored, but all of their teeth fall out; this prevents the use of biting moves, and all additional moves that require use of the mouth or mouth-analogue cause 1/3 recoil damage (special moves included, a la Flamethrower, Ice Beam, etc.).
Red Door Syndrome: Gnasir and his Gnome Gnomads have spilled a cagn of black paignt ogn the Pokemogn, causing a thick coat to set ign. All damage is reduced by 2% after all calculatiogns, but no attacks cagn miss the affected Pokemogn.

These effects stack, and cannot be removed by any attack or action. At the end of the third round, the battlers will happen upon the elusive Oasis, where they can take refuge from the desert and drink from the clear water. This removes all effects and reinvigorates the battlers, restoring 5% energy each, and the next round (every fourth round) will be fought here. Here there is a water source, and instead of an irremovable sandstorm, an unchangeable Sunny Day is in effect. At the end of an Oasis round, no effects are given. The cycle then repeats itself, with new effects being rolled for after the next two rounds; in this way, a Pokemon can have no more than two effects at any one time.

After the battle, drinks are on me at the Typical Tavern.
Profile link: Here
This sounds very fun! My profile's right here.

refs for BFFs* yeah whatever I tried

*after I go over some things with the challenge author

Challenge for Murkrow.

Arena inspired by this one.

DQ: 6 days
Damage Cap: 60%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Evasion
Arena: Houkago Tea Time Concert, Year 2021

Ten years after the events of K-on, Houkago Tea Time has become a world-famous band, selling out arenas the world over, including this one in Asber. For this concert, they are only breaking out their "vintage" hits. However, this being Asber, it's also just the spot for... yup, a Pokemon battle!

A random song from the regular setlist will be chosen and played at the beginning of the match. Each song has a set duration, and after that goes up, another randomized song plays. No song will be played twice. If all songs are played before the battle ends, three more songs will be played as the encores. When all the encores end, it turns into an ordinary battlefield with no other effects.

Regular Setlist:

- Fuwa Fuwa Time (3 actions): Causes one of the Pokemon, chosen at random, to become attracted until the end of the song, regardless of the opponent's gender.
- Tokimeki Sugar (3 actions): Changes one of the Pokemon's, chosen at random, ability to Sweet Veil until the end of the song.
- Watashi no Koi wa Hotchikiss (4 actions): Causes one of the Pokemon, chosen at random, to become confused until the end of the song.
- Tsubasa wo Kudasai (3 actions): Adds the Flying type to a Pokemon chosen at random until the end of the song. Does not apply to Pokemon that are already Flying-type. This effect causes dual-typed Pokemon to become temporarily triple-typed.
- Curry Nochi Rice (3 actions): Adds the Fire type to a Pokemon chosen at random until the end of the song. Does not apply to Pokemon that are already Fire-type. This effect causes dual-typed Pokemon to become temporarily triple-typed.
- Tenshi ni Fureta Yo (4 actions): For the duration of the song, all Pokemon that are not fully evolved become fully evolved. These Pokemon return to their original evolutionary stage at the end of the song.

Encore Setlist:

- Gohan wa Okazu (3 actions): Grants a 25% power boost to all attacks by Pokemon introduced in Gen 2 until the end of the song.
- U&I (4 actions): Changes one of the Pokemon's, chosen at random, ability to Parental Bond until the end of the song.
- Pure Pure Heart (4 actions): At the beginning and end of the song, Heart Swap will be inflicted on both Pokemon.

Challenge for Sylph, Coloursfall, and Sunflower~

Format: 2v2 Double
DQ: 1 Week
Damage Cap: 20%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO's, Direct Healing, Attract. Protect [And analogues] limited to 3 uses maximum per Pokémon.
Arena Description: Sea of a Thousand Currents

The largest expanse of open water on this particular region, this arena is exactly what it says on the tin. There's nothing but water for kilometres around. Occasionally huge, winged amphibious creatures will rocket from below the depths on the edge of view, but beyond that it's calm, quiet, and very very wet.

Over a hundred metres below the surface lies a field of reef, and all the colourful life to go with it - where it stretches out like a forest, right up to the edge of a massive chasm, murky and dark and filled with currents that would rip apart even the strongest of swimmers - making it all but inaccessible.

Due to obvious arena conditions, only Water-type and clearly Aquatic Pokémon are eligible for this battle; and the arena is considered to be from the surface of the water, all the way down to and throughout the coral reef.

Profile: let's get wet

((Match is four-player, 1 Pokémon each, doubles. Me and Sylph versus Coloursfall and Sunflower.))

Last edited:

Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO's, Direct Healing, Attract. Protect [And analogues] limited to 3 uses maximum.

The largest expanse of open water on this particular region, this arena is exactly what it says on the tin. There's nothing but water for kilometres around. Occasionally huge, winged amphibious creatures will rocket from below the depths on the edge of view, but beyond that it's calm, quiet, and very very wet.

Over a hundred metres below the surface lies a field of reef, and all the colourful life to go with it - where it stretches out like a forest, right up to the edge of a massive chasm, murky and dark and filled with currents that would rip apart even the strongest of swimmers - making it all but inaccessible.

Due to obvious arena conditions, only Water-type and clearly Aquatic Pokémon are eligible for this battle; and the arena is considered to be from the surface of the water, all the way down to and throughout the coral reef.

((Match is four-player, 1 Pokémon each, doubles. Me and Sylph versus Coloursfall and Sunflower.))

You know what? Give me Fish War.

Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO's, Direct Healing, Attract. Protect [And analogues] limited to 3 uses maximum per Pokémon.

Lets hit it.
Boop

FISH PARTY

Challenge for Murkrow.

Arena inspired by this one.

DQ: 6 days
Damage Cap: 60%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Evasion
Arena: Houkago Tea Time Concert, Year 2021

Ten years after the events of K-on, Houkago Tea Time has become a world-famous band, selling out arenas the world over, including this one in Asber. For this concert, they are only breaking out their "vintage" hits. However, this being Asber, it's also just the spot for... yup, a Pokemon battle!

A random song from the regular setlist will be chosen and played at the beginning of the match. Each song has a set duration, and after that goes up, another randomized song plays. No song will be played twice. If all songs are played before the battle ends, three more songs will be played as the encores. When all the encores end, it turns into an ordinary battlefield with no other effects.

Regular Setlist:

- Fuwa Fuwa Time (3 actions): Causes one of the Pokemon, chosen at random, to become attracted until the end of the song, regardless of the opponent's gender.
- Tokimeki Sugar (3 actions): Changes one of the Pokemon's, chosen at random, ability to Sweet Veil until the end of the song.
- Watashi no Koi wa Hotchikiss (4 actions): Causes one of the Pokemon, chosen at random, to become confused until the end of the song.
- Tsubasa wo Kudasai (3 actions): Adds the Flying type to a Pokemon chosen at random until the end of the song. Does not apply to Pokemon that are already Flying-type. This effect causes dual-typed Pokemon to become temporarily triple-typed.
- Curry Nochi Rice (3 actions): Adds the Fire type to a Pokemon chosen at random until the end of the song. Does not apply to Pokemon that are already Fire-type. This effect causes dual-typed Pokemon to become temporarily triple-typed.
- Tenshi ni Fureta Yo (4 actions): For the duration of the song, all Pokemon that are not fully evolved become fully evolved. These Pokemon return to their original evolutionary stage at the end of the song.

Encore Setlist:

- Gohan wa Okazu (3 actions): Grants a 25% power boost to all attacks by Pokemon introduced in Gen 2 until the end of the song.
- U&I (4 actions): Changes one of the Pokemon's, chosen at random, ability to Parental Bond until the end of the song.
- Pure Pure Heart (4 actions): At the beginning and end of the song, Heart Swap will be inflicted on both Pokemon.

Ooh, cool.
boop

Format: 2vs2 single
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, direct healing moves, chills, Destiny Bond, Attract
Terrain: a large cavern

A cavern of immense size. The ceiling is roughly 20 stories high, and the room is maybe 500m square. The walls and ceiling are unnaturally smooth and polished, making it impossible for these to be held onto in any way. Odd glowing stones that cast enough light to see by are embedded in the walls.

For all intents and purposes this is a Sky Battle, so only flying/hovering Pokemon can be used. The battling Pokemon start roughly in the centre of the room, about 10 stories in the air.

Additional Notes: Moves that require natural resources such as water or rocks/earth will fail. Intentionally landing is not allowed, and from the starting position, it takes 3 actions of falling to hit the ground if a Pokemon becomes unable to fly/hover (The ref can decide the effects of this).

First stage (out of two or three is fine) Pokemon only!

Taking this as well... >_>

Format: 2v2 Single
DQ: Seven days
Banned/Restricted Moves: Moves with a base power of more than 60
Arena Description: Beginner Arena
Wide landscape with nothing to get in the way. Used typically for newbie trainers, sparring matches, etc.
Profile link: Pingas
Additional Notes: Basic Pokemon only. Nothing evolved.

Basically a simple beginner battle to help me get acclimated to this style of battling. Have fun kicking my butt~

Wide landscape with nothing to get in the way. Used typically for newbie trainers, sparring matches, etc.

Basically a simple beginner battle to help me get acclimated to this style of battling. Have fun kicking my butt~
I think I'm rusty enough to pass for a simple beginner still. I will indeed have fun fruitlessly attempting to kick your butt /o/

Someone battle me so Zexion can watch ref!

2vs2 Single

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for either participant.

DQ Time: 1 week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing Moves, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena Description: Rango's Terrarium

The stage is a simple glass tank, the one featured in the opening minutes of the film "Rango", housing the titular chameleon. Though incredibly under-furnished for an animal, it is perfect for a Pokemon battle.

Each Pokemon in the competition is shrunk so they will be able to move around at their leisure within the tank (for reference, a Typhlosion would end up being around the same size as Rango). They will be surrounded by 4 glass walls and a glass top. These are all considered indestructible for the sake of the battle. 3 of the walls are plastered with wall paper depicting hills in the distance and a blue sky with sparse clouds.

Within the tank is sparse scenery. The ground is mainly sand, with two mounds and a pool. Both pool and gravel are only about a foot deep, meaning that Dig will accomplish little, and Pokemon that require water are not suited for the arena. On top of one mound rests a plastic palm tree, on top of the other is a dismembered mannequin, possessing only torso and right arm.

For reference

Additional Rules: No fully evolved Pokemon, no Pokemon who need water to survive.

Someone battle me so Zexion can watch ref!

2vs2 Single

I'll take you on c:

DQ Time: 1 week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing Moves, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena Description: Rango's Terrarium

The stage is a simple glass tank, the one featured in the opening minutes of the film "Rango", housing the titular chameleon. Though incredibly under-furnished for an animal, it is perfect for a Pokemon battle.

Each Pokemon in the competition is shrunk so they will be able to move around at their leisure within the tank (for reference, a Typhlosion would end up being around the same size as Rango). They will be surrounded by 4 glass walls and a glass top. These are all considered indestructible for the sake of the battle. 3 of the walls are plastered with wall paper depicting hills in the distance and a blue sky with sparse clouds.

Within the tank is sparse scenery. The ground is mainly sand, with two mounds and a pool. Both pool and gravel are only about a foot deep, meaning that Dig will accomplish little, and Pokemon that require water are not suited for the arena. On top of one mound rests a plastic palm tree, on top of the other is a dismembered mannequin, possessing only torso and right arm.

For reference

Additional Rules: No fully evolved Pokemon, no Pokemon who need water to survive.

I didn't like that movie, but the arena sounds interesting.
bingbang

I think I'm rusty enough to pass for a simple beginner still. I will indeed have fun fruitlessly attempting to kick your butt /o/

Reffing this.

and hey, while i'm at it, a guaranteed quickie:

Format: 3 v 3 single
Style: set
DQ: two weeks
Damage Cap: none
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, chills, ohko, attract. Evasion and picking Pokémon with STAB type advantage is considered poor form, though not banned.
Arena Description: Outside the Battle Arena

The match was originally scheduled to take place inside the Battle Arena as an ordinary challenge within the Hoenn Frontier, but that quickly changed when officials learned that both trainers were from Asber. Not to be discouraged, however, they took the fight outside, despite objections from both the officials in question and other non-Asber trainers at the frontier that day.

The rules are modeled vaguely after those of the Battle Arena: the match will be played as a best-of-three set of 1v1 bouts that only last 3 rounds each. At the end of those 3 rounds, if there is no knockout, the referee will declare a winner by awarding points based on HP, PP, and status. For every percent below 100 in both HP and energy, a Pokémon will be given 1 point. For every degree of status ailment, a Pokémon will be given 3 points. Stat boosts are worth the negative of their value. The Pokémon with the lower score at the end of the 3 rounds will be the winner of that bout, and a new pair of Pokémon will be sent out.

The Battle Arena is a small wooden building, located on a rough peninsula connecting to the Frontier streets. Intentionally entering the building or street will result in disqualification for the bout.
Profile link: see user info

I'm going to take this as my first battle in like two years because I have no self-respect

I'll ref this, thread up in a bit!

Back
Top Bottom