• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 7]

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
*rubs hands together*

All right. If you registered before the closing of the thread, you will be receiving a role PM shortly. All role PMs have been sent out! If you haven't received yours yet but you are on the player list above, please PM me to complain and I will send it to you as soon as possible. This PM may come from either me or opaltiger, who's been helping me with the planning; after all, sending out fifty PMs individually is a bit much for one person. The text of the PMs has been prewritten, so there is no difference between receiving your role from me or him. Also, whoever you receive your role from, I'm still the GM; all night actions, questions, etc. are to be sent to me.

Thanks also go to elyvorg, who also helped with the planning of the game.

Right. So a few notes on my GMing for this game:

- Don't assume the "standard" rules for the various normal-ish roles necessarily apply unless your PM mentions it. If in doubt, PM me and ask.
- Really, don't make any assumptions in general.
- If you have a night action and don't send one in, I will usually randomize a target, unless it's what I deem to be a strictly optional night action (as opposed to a night action you may opt out of but usually wouldn't). If you're wondering, you can ask me, but mostly, send in night actions!
- The flavor text posted at the end of a day or night can be indicative of how somebody died. There may even be details that have meaning for certain roles but not for others. However, again, never assume in this game.
- Some roles may have day actions activated by posting a bolded message in the thread. Such bolded messages are to take effect immediately and without questioning. To make this possible, it is also strictly forbidden to post a bolded message feigning the action of a day-action role you do not actually have, whether real or made-up. Anyone caught doing this will be eliminated from the game on sight.
- Out-of-thread communication with other players is not allowed unless your role specifically permits you to communicate with someone.
- If you have any questions in general, just PM me and ask.

So... let the fun begin!

Once you've received your role PM, you have 48 hours to send in your night actions. That means you have until November 19, 0:00 GMT.

(By the way, as a tip to everyone: if you don't want to have to scroll down past the humongous player list every time you view the thread, use the collapse icon in the top right corner of the heading for the player box.)

Last edited:
Re: TV Tropes Mafia [NIGHT 0]

Since all the night actions are in, I'm starting the first day early! Ooh, excitement. :3

The sun rises over Troperville.

That's not the unusual bit. I mean, that tends to happen, every so often at least.

What's unusual is that the cold body of sreservoir, gun still clutched in its immobile grip, is lying in the middle of the village square, with a gunshot wound through its heart.

It takes the villagers a little while of squabbling amongst themselves to conclude that the weapon, the Italian suit and the business card from the Legitimate Businessmen's Social Club in all likelihood means he was affiliated with The Mafia. It will probably take them all day to figure out exactly what just happened.

sreservoir is dead. It was mafia.

You have 48 hours to discuss, to start with; this will very possibly be extended.

Last edited:

HI, EVERYBO-

oh
uh
well, this is awkward, isn't it. How did a mafioso die on the first night? That doesn't... well, let's hope the mafia are incompetent :(

Well, my only reasonable guess is that the mafia missed their target; and we either have two unfortunate doctors, or possibly there's a vigilante who got lucky on the first night.

Well, at least it's one Mafioso down, I guess.

I think that it was probably just some awesome doctors, though I wouldn't doubt Bachuru giving us multiple Mafia's.

Hm. Multiple mafia factions, lucky vig, unlucky doctors... I was going to say that unlucky doctors is extremely unlikely in a game this large, but res is a good player (if almost universally irritating) and I guess it's possible that both/at least two docs wanted to try and keep it around in the event that it was going to decide to be helpful. Still sort of unlikely given that there's also people like Vixie they could have chosen, but erm.

A vigilante is less likely unless the vigilante is an idiot, because no innocent with a killshot in their right mind would use their ability on the first night--they have no information to go on at all and are almost guaranteed to hit a fellow innocent. If this is a vigilante's work then I guess they can thank their lucky stars, but seriously, dude, chill until we get some information. Certainly res seems like an odd first target because, again, it's regarded as a good player, and I would have erred on the side of it being innocent and tried to keep it around so it could help. Maybe the vig just doesn't like how cryptic it always is, though, and decided that they didn't want to bother with all that this game.

Then there's the multiple mafia idea, or at least the idea of a standalone mafioso that doesn't know the identities of the rest of its faction. A faction would generally know whether res was able to communicate with them, so if it can't then they would naturally assume that it is going to be a hindrance and they should get rid of it as soon as possible. So they target res and then this is either another faction that managed to off some competition, or res/the targeter was standalone mafia and someone made a bit of a mistake there. I would like to think that any vigs are bright enough not to shoot blindly on night-freaking-zero, and that there are enough skilled players in this game to make it unlikely for more than one doctor to protect the same player, so personally I think this scenario is a bit more likely than the others.

...that is probably a lot less helpful than the high volume of words would have you believe.

It could, in all honesty, be a coupla other roles that we don't know about. Bachura did say there would be a few new ones not on the list. Maybe someone with some sort of "Return to Sender" power, or a bodyguard, or something.

The gun in the grip thing seems to me to indicate that Res was probably on the way to a hit, so I'm thinking that it's something like the above.

All you said was basically 'it's probably multiple mafia factions'.

I agree. But I think we're just going to end up random!lynching, unless anyone wants to come forward with information (which is highly unlikely on the first day).

EDIT: ninja-post!
That's actually quite clever, Lupine Volt! It's possible we have a bodyguard scenario, too... hm... seems like the mafia faction was very unlucky. :o

That's not all I said! I also said it's possible that there's one faction and res/the targeter was a standalone, which no one else seems to have considered. >|

I did forget that Butterchuru mentioned that flavor might be relevant, so something like a bodyguard (or at least some indication that res was on its way to a hit--and was therefore something like the don--before vig/docs/mafia screw-up happened).

I'd assume that since res was specifically described as having a card for a Legitimate Businessmen's Social Club, that he was probably part of a mafia faction. And it seems likely that he was the don, too - so does that mean we have a leaderless mafia already??

Of course, Butterfree could be being a douchenozzle and maybe res was the uncool mafia dude that nobody likes and he goes BITCHES I'M GOING OUT ON MY OWN. I'm sure there's probably a trope for that.

~THE PLOT UNFOLDS~

I'm very intrigued...

Maybe there's a mafia role specifically designated for "I DIE FIRST! PROTECT DAH BOSS!" etc. With a coupla experimental roles, we have to examine every possible angle. With so many people, it'll be practically impossible to figure out whose who early unless we get really lucky or the mafia keeps targetting Mr. Return to Sender, if he exists, which I think could be a real possibility.

A vigilante is less likely unless the vigilante is an idiot, because no innocent with a killshot in their right mind would use their ability on the first night--they have no information to go on at all and are almost guaranteed to hit a fellow innocent. If this is a vigilante's work then I guess they can thank their lucky stars, but seriously, dude, chill until we get some information. Certainly res seems like an odd first target because, again, it's regarded as a good player, and I would have erred on the side of it being innocent and tried to keep it around so it could help. Maybe the vig just doesn't like how cryptic it always is, though, and decided that they didn't want to bother with all that this game.

Right! Who hates res enough to have him offed with nothing to go on?

... oh right, everyone ever.

Really, with this many people, I can guarantee you there are at least ten different ways this could have gone down. To be perfectly honest I think it's a waste of time to try to figure it out; it's not like it's going to give us ~infinite knowledge~ of who's what. If a bodyguard or sommat wants to come out and say that he exists and is likely responsible, that'd be fine I think, but I doubt this is an issue we need to be losing sleep over.

I wonder if there's a retaliation role in this game? I mean, one where if targetted kills the person who targetted them. If so, and res actually was the mafia don, then that would also be an explanation. But does that role even exist?

Also, do we have an oracle in this game?

res is a fairly strong player (or an assumed strong player), so it would be sensible to off him early into the game.

It's possible that there are two mafia factions and that the other actually hit an alien, which. sucks. :(

I'd assume that since res was specifically described as having a card for a Legitimate Businessmen's Social Club, that he was probably part of a mafia faction. And it seems likely that he was the don, too - so does that mean we have a leaderless mafia already??

Well even if res was the leader, in most if not all games (but, then again, we have been told to ASSUME NOTHING here) there's a chain of command so the next person down would be the new leader. I.e. no leaderless mafia anymore.

But yeah. In just like two hours you guys have said everything I've thought of plus more so uh... nothing much for me to say.

Also, do we have an oracle in this game?

Even if we do, they shouldn't out themselves now. We don't even know for a fact that there are any doctors or what have you, so the moment they say something they're making themselves a target.

Walker does have a point; there's little you can actually figure out in a 50-man secret role game (though personally I feel better at least talking through things, meh). There are still a lot of people that have yet to check in, so we could wait for them, but what could they really safely reveal anyway? :/

At least we've gotten one of the mafia out of the way!
I agree with what everyone else has said about the possibility of there being multiple mafia factions. But with only one death last night, there's a possibility that (if there is multiple mafia factions) the other faction hit an alien. Or we have a very lucky doctor!

Sorry I don't have anything useful to say, I think everyone else has already said all the possibilities that could have happened.

To wit: The odds of targeting the alien are less than the odds of a successful heal last night. If we say there's at least two doctors and each of them targeted someone different, then that's a 1/25 chance right there that they hit the same target as the Mafia. in addition, Mafia may have chosen to off experienced players (see: res) - and the doctors may have chosen to heal experienced players, thinking the same.

There are many other possibilities, but with the number of possible roles in use, we can't really assume anything.

Back
Top Bottom