• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 7]

Re: TV Tropes Mafia [NIGHT 0]

Alright, here's the deal.

We're not dealing with a game of Mafia here, we're dealing with a game of TVTropes themed Mafia. Therefore, everyone's going to based off of a characterization trope, right? (In res' case, the Smoking Gun). Therefore, we need tropes for each character as well as their role. Some of these are obviously going to be related to some vanilla roles (the Big Bad, the Dragon, Those Two Guys), but some aren't. I'm willing to bet one of the Mafia members is the Starscream, for example.

With that in mind, we'd need a trope for the hypothetical second Mafia faction; as Ketsu mentioned, the Yakuza fills this void quite well.

I'm going to say that res was a good choice for an opening target due to both his mafia skills and his status as a troper.

Indeed. The first day phase is the most annoying. :/

Shall we wait on others, and anyone who doesn't turn up we'll just random!lynch? I suppose?

I agree that there's no point really in trying to figure out exactly what happened because there are far too many roles for that. We could have multiple Mafia factions, one of those vigilantes that are forced to use their night action each night, serial killer, one of those roles that kills anyone who targets them that night, bodyguard, etc etc etc.

I do think in a game with this many players it's extremely likely there are multiple Mafia factions. In which case we would have to figure out what happened to the other kill(s). But again...all we can really do at this point is propose hundreds of theories :/

The gun links to the Smoking Gun trope, and while the title fits, the trope itself is about "a key piece of evidence" ("at the climax of a trial", yes, but still), so maybe we should look at the fact that sreservoir was holding it a bit closer?

Though if the gun was literally smoking, maybe sreservoir didn't have an instant death bullet and someone was shot.

Probably not a doctor, though, unless just one medic uses a healing shiv-type abnormal ammo that loses its healing properties if a healing spell has already been used. Which is totally possible! But, assuming flavour is relevant, sreservoir having its gun out implies it was in a confrontation and knew that whatever killed it was an enemy. Maybe someone with an attack reflector?

If we go with the multiple mafia theory, maybe they're from the mafiya, the cartel, the Triads and the Tongs, the yakuza or the Irish mob, simply because they're tropes. In that case, it should be easy to figure out if someone from one of those groups is killed.

(Laconic version: rehash of what was already said. (But there were no links! How could you?))

By the way, why has nobody considered that there may be multiple aliens or something? :o WE COULD ALL BE ALIENS

(this happened once)
(never let opal GM anything)

Well, with fifty players, I would get hella frustrated going through all those tropes to find new roles. Of course Butterfree is using experimental roles -

OR IS SHE :OOO

One thing though, people. Do we want to lynch anyone on day one, or do we have enough people to confidently abstain? All this discussion doesn't stop the fact that at least 1 person needs to die each day, and looking at possibilites allows the mafia to keep picking us off one by one.

Now, discussion on possibilities is important, and since no innocent people died last night, we have a free day. I'm just pointing out the importance of not getting too wrapped up in flavor text and trope analysis

Well, if we abstain today then we'll have another night to try to figure out what's going on. That might give us a chance to see if there are really multiple Mafia factions. Also, we should have a lot of vanilla innocents in this game so at least there's a chance that the Mafia tonight won't hit someone with a role? Although the same could be said for us lynching today, so that isn't really an argument against it...

But abstaining is a waste of a day action :(

*peeks into the thread* Well well well, one off the bat. At least that's good.

Wow....a mafia death already....

The Smoking Gun Trope though makes me think that Srs was a trope based on corrupt law enforcement...like an Amoral Attorney

But yeah, nothing else to say.

(must ignore links)
Yeah, the first day really is a bummer. I personally think it was a lucky vig who hit, but if the flavor text is anything to go by, healer clashes don't usually end up in a gunshot wound. And since the first day is the first day, we really don't have anything to go on. Randylynching probably won't work with fifty players, and we're probably going to get off murdering some innocent.
But then again, if we don't, the mafia would get someone else again, so...

We would be taking a shot in the dark, though. We have nothing to go on. Res was mafia, that's all we know, that's probably all we're gonna know until day 27 or so when the game finishes and Bachuru posts an night louge ripe with amusing comments.

Edit: GAH! POST NINJAS!

Hmm. Lucky first kill being Mafia. Sounds like maybe the Mafia hit an alien, or the Mafia hit someone the doctors/bodyguards/whatever healed/protected/whatever.

I, however, am abstaining. We have no leads, other than res was Mafia.

We would be taking a shot in the dark, though. We have nothing to go on. Res was mafia, that's all we know, that's probably all we're gonna know until day 27 or so when the game finishes and Bachuru posts an night louge ripe with amusing comments.

Edit: GAH! POST NINJAS!

We're probably going to end up having to pick someone random to lynch eventually, though. Voting to lynch someone makes them talk (usually) which can give us some more information.

EDIT: So I mean, it might be a good idea to vote to lynch a random person who's been viewing the thread but not posting.

But in mafia you rarely have anything to go on! It's best to lynch; it's fairly likely that there are two mafia factions, and even with such a large game we could feasibly get lucky.

Back
Top Bottom