• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

MU TCoDf Invitational

Eifie

oh man, good times.
Pronoun
she/her
Hi everyone! So for a while I've been toying with the idea of hosting a tcodf invitational on Mafia Universe so that we can automate the game using their super-awesome modbot. It'd be a game of just tcodf players (+ my awesome MU friend Panini, who is cool and fun and has a similar posting style to us and I think we could all learn a lot from each other), just hosted on their website.

The setup will be open vanilla+ (i.e. mostly vanilla with a few power roles and you will all know what the setup is), so the kind of play that's expected is similar to what went on in Meowfia. In particular, I would really really really really need people to be active, because in vanilla games, especially small ones, just one inactive person can be really detrimental to a game. No one cares if your posts suck! But they gotta be there. A guideline for what's expected would probably be like, 1-2 posts average per irl day.

If you'd be up for it, let me know here! Since it'll be a small amount of us we can choose the date and SoD/EoD times so that it works for everyone. The phases will probably be 72h/48h and the earliest it'd run would be like, April 8th. Tell me what kind of date and time ranges you'd prefer in this thread! It will be cool and fun!

pls play mafia with me

Signups
  1. Eifie (UTC-4, mid-April or anytime starting early May)
  2. Panini (UTC-7, not April 26-27)
  3. Keldeo (UTC-7, anytime starting mid-April)
  4. qva (UTC-4, whatever date)
  5. Music Dragon (UTC+2, whatever date)
  6. DarkAura (UTC-7, whatever date)
  7. Butterfree (UTC, not Easter weekend (April 19-22))
  8. RedneckPhoenix (??? timezone, whatever date)
  9. Kratos Aurion (UTC-4, whatever date)
(timezones after DST takes effect everywhere in the world)

Last edited:
(p.s. I'm also playing the game (this is possible because modbot). you can sign up in the player list if you feel like it but I'm not actually going by that, so make sure you reply in this thread with your dates/times if you're actually in please)

Sure, I'll play. My time zone is CET (soon to be CEST) so I probably won't be aligned with everybody else, but. Meh!

le mafia game has arrived

the phases and dates look good to me. looking forward to this

oh, time-wise: i'm est. evenings work best but i realize that's inconvenient for european players so i'm ok going earlier

You know I'm in!

Any mid-late April or early May start date works for me. Would prefer SOD/EOD to be between 1 pm and 2 am Eastern time, but anytime is fine.

I do not wish for death

Last edited:
yee I'm so in

My timezone is MST, but I'm good to operate with whatever date and time!

Sure!

I might be unavailable for Easter weekend or part of it, but otherwise I should be reasonably free to do something like this. I'm UTC.

Okay, currently I have two ideas:

Start on April 6th:
- D1: April 6th (Saturday) to April 9th (Tuesday)
- N1: April 9th (Tuesday) to April 11th (Thursday)
- D2: April 11th (Thursday) to April 14th (Sunday)
- N2: April 14th (Sunday) to April 16th (Tuesday)
- D3: April 16th (Tuesday) to April 19th (Friday)
- N3: April 19th (Friday) to April 21st (Sunday) (so we have a night phase for most of Easter Weekend)
- D4: April 21st (Sunday) to April 24th (Wednesday)
- game should be over by this point.

Start on April 12th:
- D1: April 12th (Friday) to April 15th (Monday)
- N1: April 15th (Monday) to April 17th (Wednesday)
- D2: April 17th (Wednesday) to April 20th (Saturday)
- N2: April 20th (Saturday) to April 22nd (Monday) (so we have a night phase for most of Easter Weekend)
- D3: April 22nd (Monday) to April 25th (Thursday)
- N3: April 25th (Thursday) to April 27th (Saturday)
- D4: April 27th (Saturday) to April 30th (Tuesday)
- game should be over by this point.

I've tried to arrange it so that D2 always ends on a weekend (so that people who can't make EoD normally due to work get to be here for one of the more exciting/tense ones) and so that most of Easter weekend is during a night phase for Butterfree. How does everyone feel about either of those schedules?

I think EoD will probably be in early afternoon EST so that everyone can at least be awake for it.

Is this still a thing? I'd like to give it a shot if it's still a thing. I'm EST and could probably swing either of those schedules.

Okay, so we have 9 players! That means we can use the Matrix6 setup, which you can read about here. We could go for something else, but I think Matrix6 has a cool element of randomness that's kind of like what we're used to here, so it seems fun!

Since Keldeo's the only one that's really stated a preference, we'll go for the second option where the game starts April 12th.

Is everyone okay with a start of day/end of day time of 5pm UTC? That'll be 1pm for those of us in EDT, 10am for PST, 7pm Music Dragon time. I'm hoping 1pm EDT might be nice so people at work/school can maybe get a late-phase vote in during their lunch breaks or whatever if they want to. And it's arranged so that D2 ends on a Saturday, so hopefully everyone who wants can be around for that one.

I'm going to get some things organized — you'll all need to make an account on Mafia Universe if you don't have one already. Once you make one, add me as a friend!

Okay, Matrix6 is fun because of the randomness, but a lot of the possible setups aren't that great, so I've been looking into others... These two seem the best choices!

1. 2 Mafia Goons, 5 Vanilla Town, 1 Even Night Cop, 1 Odd Night Doctor
  2. 2 Mafia Goons, 5 Vanilla Town, 1 Tracker, 1 Jailkeeper

So we could do one of those!

Also, since I'm making a post anyway: when you make an account on MU there are some settings you'll probably want to change right away, so go into your general settings and look around. In particular you probably want to turn the profanity filter off and turn off emails for notifications. You should also change your online status to invisible!

Setups sound good.

5PM UTC isn't quite the best time for me, as I'm still at work at that point (and will have been at work all day, and asleep prior to that), so I'd be missing most of the late day; could mayyybe hop on during lunch, but even that would be several hours before EoD. But if it's the best time for everyone else, I can manage.

Okay, better idea. Here's a Doodle: https://doodle.com/poll/wxvi46h58und8wdg

Ignore the dates and the time ranges (e.g. read 12:00am-12:15am as just 12:00am). Just select the times (in UTC) that are good for you. Please use "if need be" for, like, times that are if need be (e.g. Butterfree during her lunch break). Then I'll pick something that's closest to a time everyone is available as possible!

Back
Top Bottom