• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

I need good books

I haven't read for fun in a very long time, and now I kind of want to again, but the problem is that I don't know what to read. I like to read suspenseful and plot twisty books, and any very comedic books. Really, I'll read almost anything, as long as its good. Any recommendations?

If you haven't read it yet, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series is wonderful.

Unfortunately, though, reading them can make it very difficult to sit through the movie version of the first book.

For comedy, I reccomend anything by Terry Pratchett (although more specifically his Discworld series). For mystery/plot twists added in, limit them to Men At Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, and Thud. Also Douglas Adams, although I'd avoid his later work unless you want to be depressed. And Kurt Vonnegut, with the caveat that he tends to be more pessimistic.

Oh, and for the best plot twists I have read in years, go for Family Tree by Sherri S. Tepper.

Also Douglas Adams, although I'd avoid his later work unless you want to be depressed.

it's still humorous, though. Hitchhiker's is good, and I also recommend Last Chance to See if you're into wildlife.

If you like science fiction-y sort of things, Oryx and Crake is good, but the Wicked series and Life of Pi are great reads too.

Anathem, Neal Stephenson.

Definitely seconding this. It's amazing. Also seconding American Gods and Discworld; though in addition to the City Watch books, I'd also recommend The Truth and the Moist von Lipwig books, aka the Ankh-Morpork books.

The Edge Chronicles is a great series with lots of twists (The Immortals had several particularly shocking ones).

Artemis Fowl...well, Artemis Fowl I'll recommend in general, I'm a little disappointed with the next-to-most recent book (fans will generally have an idea of why). Certainly a series of suspense and twists and surprising intelligence.

The Book of Lost Things is a marvellous book. Definitely one of my favourites.

Also, the His Dark Materials trilogy.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the entire Harry Potter series as a choice... Read them. Also, The bartimaeus trilogy was humourus, and plot-twisty

Plot twisty, and humorous? How about the best of both worlds... Fight Club! Or anything else by Chuck Palahniuk, although, be warned, his books are all pretty disturbing in one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom