• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

3D Modelling

mewtini

sorry guys, don’t lose
Pronoun
she/her
I'm not sure if this is in the right place; mods, move this if it should be elsewhere.

Does anyone else 3D model? I do, but have no good scenes to show.

Ooh, I like that scene! Much better than anything I can make :P

The grass being textured would add a lot to it, though you've already said you don't model much, so.

This. It's actually quite nice and intuitive (like most Google products), but I'm not very good at this whole modeling thing, so I don't have any sort of personal experience with it.

Ah. I see.

I think I'll be able to learn from this thread :o

Does anyone use Art of Illusion to model?

Blender wins
Really though, it's free and open source and I don't see what Sketchup has on it [: I'm really not sure though, since I only know a little about Sketchup.
Uh, as for me, I mostly have a bunch of incomplete models and this more-complete-than-all-my-other-models-model.

And I have to model a building for school but it's lightwave and and I don't like it ;~; waaaaah
And it'll probably look like crap. But yeah!! (Oh, and I have the Massive, but it's not very impressive or anything)

BUT YEAH, Blender.

(FFFFF JUST REALISED THEY RELEASED 2.57 STABLE OH MY GOD YESSSsssss thanks for making me want to link it <3 I never remember to check for updates yaknow.)

EDIT: Oh, and here's a really awesome thread for any aspiring organic modelers out there:
http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907
Reading through it is totally worth your time. (:

Last edited:
Ooh, I like your models Furiianda.

Blender confuses me :c

I find Art of Illusion more straightforward.

Ooh, I like your models Furiianda.

Blender confuses me :c

I find Art of Illusion more straightforward.

Thanks!

The new version of Blender (2.5x as opposed to 2.49) has a much cleaner, more graphical and easier to understand interface, and although I couldn't stand the previous version the interface revamp really did a lot to make it more approachable. However I see it has nothing on AoI simplicity wise. :P It almost looks like (the old) MSpaint, and that's pretty much the simplest graphic editing program I've seen. Except maybe Alchemy. (When you open it it's just a white square! :D.)

But yeah, there are still a whole lot of buttons sitting on the default setup that are hard to understand (and several I haven't used at all, yet) for beginners so I can understand it being intimidating... I'm a bit accustomed to it now. And compared to Lightwave (use it at school) Blender actually looks pretty easy to work with, now...
They also say 3D is supposed to be difficult to approach, but considering all these simplified free 3D programs (as well as AoI and Sketchup, there's some thing called anim8) floating around now they probably shouldn't give that impression. :3c
Also, if for some reason you felt like doing it, it only took me a day or two swimming through some tutorial PDFs to get the basic idea of how to work Blender. Not that I am using it in the most efficient manner possible yet, but I know enough to make a dragon, right? >_O

I like to dabble with Blender.

If anyone is good at creating animations with it, though, please, feel free to share your wisdom. I'm able to create armatures, but assigning the vertices to bones and actually seeing that they're capable of moving and creating keyframes has been confusing me.

All the thing I've done in 3D are in my art thread, in case anyone's curious.

I think I find it easier to use Art of Illusion as opposed to Blender.

Anyone else know of other good free 3D modelling programs? (I kinda want Corel Dream 3D, but that appears that it's been discontinued/costs a lot)

All the thing I've done in 3D are in my art thread, in case anyone's curious.

I think I find it easier to use Art of Illusion as opposed to Blender.

Anyone else know of other good free 3D modelling programs? (I kinda want Corel Dream 3D, but that appears that it's been discontinued/costs a lot)

Ium... Blender and Google Sketchup are some of the most popular! Then there's your beloved AoI and anim8 (which sucks, by the looks of it, though I had one friend who loved it?!), so uh... well, I don't know what/why you are asking, I mean.
I would also say, beyond Blender and Sketchup (the most popular two) you probably won't find much better without paying money or downloading stuff illegally. :T

Back
Top Bottom