• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Pain split is not actually a direct healing move, though. It just isn't, since its healing is dependent on the amount of damage it can do, and it would take the absolute worst case (best case, for the user?) scenario - 1% and 100%, and then you're probably going to energyfaint because it costs twice as much as a direct healing move, justifiably so - to heal as much as a direct healing move.

... Aaand bluzzyninja.

If anything needs to be changed about pain split, though, it's that it wasn't affected by the damage cap in the old league, though in the vast majority of the time, it /would/ be under the cap, and undless there are shenanigans it's actually impossible to deal over 50% damage.

Last edited:
Leech Seed's Summary and Description contradict each other. The summary states the health exchange occurs after each round, while the description says it happens after every action. Which is it?

Leech Seed's Summary and Description contradict each other. The summary states the health exchange occurs after each round, while the description says it happens after every action. Which is it?

Oh whoops. Gonna say it's every action, and edit the move the reflect that. Thanks!

Is an Oran Berry supposed to automatically trigger at any point?

Uhhh it doesn't seem like they do, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't so I think they should trigger at 33% health, same as other health-triggering berries have. Gonna wait for a bit to see if there are any objections before tweaking.

Edit: nvm apparently all HP-restoring berries, in-game, trigger at 50% health. Funnily enough, pinch berries trigger at 25% but are listed as 33% here. I think we should edit the berries to conform to game trigger percentages, but again I'll wait a bit to see if there are any objections. Additionally we should prooobably edit the trigger conditions for the status berries, and give a trigger condition for Leppa (50% energy?)

2nd edit: ughhh also Enigma seems pretty meh right now. It's basically Sitrus but with a different trigger condition, so maybe we should change it to that?

Last edited:
incidentally, oran berries

I don't mind the pinch berries threshold being higher. 33% health is a little better since you're not gonna last long with 25% health but 33% might let you get another action out of it or whatever. Stat changes are lot more minor in ASB, so a slightly higher threshold might give it a little more utility. Suspect it was a deliberate change by Negrek for the same reason.

Either way pinch berries aren't that useful actually, if it's just +1 to a stat. +6 is a somewhat big change from the ingame effect but I think it'd be more in the same spirit as the games, and in this case (it triggers when you're almost dead), that might be worth preserving. If +6 is too much you could just do +4 or something but I definitely suggest doing more than +1.

We could just do +1 or maybe +2 on sendout instead. A pretty huge departure, admittedly, but it'd be simpler.

I should be issuing Whirlpool a DQ warning in his tournament battle vs Totodile, but he hasn't been on since the eleventh and probably doesn't know the tournament has even started. What do? Is there anyone who knows Whirlpool who can poke him?

EDIT: I PMed him about it, in the hope that he has it set to email him about PMs, and that he'll see the email...

Last edited:
I should be issuing Whirlpool a DQ warning in his tournament battle vs Totodile, but he hasn't been on since the eleventh and probably doesn't know the tournament has even started. What do? Is there anyone who knows Whirlpool who can poke him?

EDIT: I PMed him about it, in the hope that he has it set to email him about PMs, and that he'll see the email...
In extraordinary cases of leave (which we might consider that one of), we give folks a week rather than three days. Usually it requires a post in the Absence Sheet, but I'd think being absent for this long may as well count as the same deal.

(I'll slide in a piece about the berry business later. Busy busy...)

When the damage from Super Fang is capped, the energy cost is equal to the cost for the amount of damage it would have done, not the capped damage, right? (I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be, but I'm asking because it doesn't look like it's been reffed that way recently.)

edit: hm, the description in the database makes it sound like the energy cost is based on the actual damage, so I guess maybe it's just special because it's a fixed-damage move. While I'm at it, does the same apply for OHKOs?

From the DEG for fixed energy attacks,

For attacks like counter, endeavor, and others that deal a set amount of damage based on some variable other than a set base power, a different rule applies. Fortunately, it is quite simple: unless the attack's entry in the Database states otherwise, it costs energy equal to half the damage it would deal if there were no damage cap. (The cap may reduce the final amount of damage dealt for the attack, but the pokémon using it must still pay the full cost.)

Cool, thanks. I guess the description in the database should be changed to reflect that, then.

Actually, Super Fang specifically is an exception to the rule. Its energy cost is directly proportional to the damage it has actually dealt rather than the amount that would have been dealt if there was no damage cap (otherwise it'd just cost a flat 37% since 75% of the damage it has dealt regardless of the damage cap is always that).

Actually, Super Fang specifically is an exception to the rule. Its energy cost is directly proportional to the damage it has actually dealt rather than the amount that would have been dealt if there was no damage cap (otherwise it'd just cost a flat 37% since 75% of the damage it has dealt regardless of the damage cap is always that).

Well, it's half of the target's current HP, so it would be 37%, then 18/19%, then, 9%, etc. (if you just kept using Super Fang over and over with no cap)

Do Life Orb, Muscle Band, etc. boost every hit of a multihit move or only its total damage, and for Life Orb, how much recoil would there be? e.g. if a Pokemon holding Life Orb used Comet Punch and hit three times, would the final damage be (1.8*3) + 3 = 8%, or (1.8+3)*3 = 14%, and would the recoil be 3% or 1%?

Do Life Orb, Muscle Band, etc. boost every hit of a multihit move or only its total damage, and for Life Orb, how much recoil would there be? e.g. if a Pokemon holding Life Orb used Comet Punch and hit three times, would the final damage be (1.8*3) + 3 = 8%, or (1.8+3)*3 = 14%, and would the recoil be 3% or 1%?

Can't speak for damage (in the games, it would boost every individual hit, but seeing as in ASB it's additive and not multiplicative I'm not entirely sure), but I'm almost positive life orb recoil is calculated after the attack, and only once.

How exactly does Yawn work in regards to priority? The database has conflicting info.

"Puts the target to sleep at the end of the next action."

"The user yawns broadly, making the opponent irresistibly drowsy and causing it to fall asleep at the end of its next action."

For example, if Pokémon A moves first and uses Yawn on Pokémon B, and Pokémon B uses Tackle, will Pokémon B fall asleep after its tackle, or will it have until the end of the next action? (Second action set, Pokémon A uses Leer, Pokémon B uses Leer and then falls asleep)

The effects of Life Orb, Muscle Band, etc. only apply once to any offensive move. So for example, Life Orb would only boost the final damage by 3%, and the recoil would be 1% of HP and energy.

How exactly does Yawn work in regards to priority? The database has conflicting info.

"Puts the target to sleep at the end of the next action."

"The user yawns broadly, making the opponent irresistibly drowsy and causing it to fall asleep at the end of its next action."

For example, if Pokémon A moves first and uses Yawn on Pokémon B, and Pokémon B uses Tackle, will Pokémon B fall asleep after its tackle, or will it have until the end of the next action? (Second action set, Pokémon A uses Leer, Pokémon B uses Leer and then falls asleep)

Ahh, it should be at the end of the next action. Gonna go fix that real quick.

For future reference, what happens if Super Fang misses? Does it cost 0% energy (rounded up to 1%) in proportion to the damage actually dealt, or 75% of the damage it would have dealt, capped, had it hit?

For future reference, what happens if Super Fang misses? Does it cost 0% energy (rounded up to 1%) in proportion to the damage actually dealt, or 75% of the damage it would have dealt, capped, had it hit?

If any attack misses, the energy is still consumed, so it would cost 75% of the damage it would've dealt, capped.

Back
Top Bottom