• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Steele vs. Superbird

*raises hand stupidly*

Hey, I was reading your battle because that's what I do when I'm bored, read ASB, and it appears that in the second-to-last round, Dokon should have bounced above the Psychic on action three instead of super fanging. Hope this doesn't ruin everything :(

inb4 it does

Last edited:
*raises hand stupidly*

Hey, I was reading your battle because that's what I do when I'm bored, read ASB, and it appears that in the second-to-last round, Dokon should have bounced above the Psychic on action three instead of super fanging. Hope this doesn't ruin everything :(

inb4 it does

The way I saw it, it wouldn't make much sense to jump over a Psychic or an Extrasensory. I believe that unless the attack mised outright for some reason (by RNG) then it would hit no matter where the pokemon was. Looking at it fro ma realistic standpoint, if Dokon jumped above the attack, the attack would still hit, as it involves Rage focusing his psychic energies on Dokon, enveloping him in them, and throwing him against an object.

I could change it if either of the battlers disagrees, but if not, then the battle can continue.

Round 6

Angry that his quick calculatons didn't work out, Superbird quickly opens up his bag, and after shoving away a few TMs and a book about EV/IV training, he finds a small red and white pokeball. He quickly tosses it in the general direction of the arena, and a small orange chick pops out, ready to fight. Steele just hopes for the worse and shields his eyes.

Superbird(XO)

torchic
[Firestrike] (M)
<Blaze>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Steele (OO)

bronzong
[Rage Against the Machine] (X)
<Levitate>
Health: 2%
Energy: 46%
Status: Feeling quite weak and about to fall to the ground. Happy he finally beat Dokon

Arena Notes:
The ground is severely cracked all around, and there are two large craters near where Rage is floating. The ground inside the arena is littered with fragments of glass and a few large pieces of metal, along with the remains of some rare artifacts. A shelf has fallen over alongside battling area, and all of the artifacts on it are lying on the ground, some of them intact and some of them completely destroyed. There is some blackened concrete and artifacts in a five-foot blast radius form where the bottle shattered against Rage.

Round 6 Begin!

Immediately from being released, Firestrike runs far faster than any normal torchic should. As he nears Rage, he jumps into the air, spiraling like an orange comet. He strikes rage with a large amount of force, and lands on the ground. For Rage, this last attack is enough. He floats erratically for a few moments, and then falls to the ground, causing a sound like a church bell tolling after a funeral. Rage's eyes blink closed, while Firestrike looks around with a triumphant look on his face.

Round 6 End!

Superbird(XO)

torchic
[Firestrike] (M)
<Blaze>
Energy: 96%

Steele (XO)

bronzong
[Rage Against the Machine] (X)
<Levitate>
Health: 0%
Energy: 46%

Arena Notes:
The ground is severely cracked all around, and there are two large craters near where Rage is floating. The ground inside the arena is littered with fragments of glass and a few large pieces of metal, along with the remains of some rare artifacts. A shelf has fallen over alongside battling area, and all of the artifacts on it are lying on the ground, some of them intact and some of them completely destroyed. There is some blackened concrete and artifacts in a five-foot blast radius form where the bottle shattered against Rage.

Refferee's Notes:
-well, that was uneventful. Hopefully the commands for next round come in quick.
-also, sorry for the semi-late reffing. school and social life got in the way.

Next Round:
-Steele sends out and attacks
-Superbird attacks
-I ref​

Last edited:
Gah, I though you'd have this all wrapped up. No vodka for you, Rage. >_>

Um, so liek go Rift, 'cause you seem to own anything you touch.

First off, use, my favorite, Dark Pulse, unless of course he Protects, if which case then uh... just Chill 'cause I can't think of something more awesome. If he's gonna pull a status move/+ stat move, Taunt.

Next, Charge Beam, unless Protect, then just do the aforementioned chill. Same thing with status and stat moves and Taunt. But don't Taunt twice.

Last, use... Night Shade, as I need to experiement with it. Same Chill/Taunt but not twice things here.

Dark Pulse/Chill/Taunt~Charge Beam/Chill/Taunt~Night Shade/Chill Taunt

Mmm. Well...Let's go, Firestrike!

Dark Pulse is gonna hurt us a little, but we can do something about that. Namely, retaliate it. So, first thing is I want you to use Mirror Move. Then, just for our future benefit, I want you to use Swords Dance. Finally, Shadow Claw!

Mirror Move ~ Swords Dance ~ Shadow Claw

Round 7

A bit unhappy that Rage couldn't last longer than he did, Steele recalls him. (and denies him access to the Vodka cabintet.) Reaching down to his belt, he pops off a ball, and expands it. The green and black patterned ball glistens a bit in the light, and then is flung through the air. Out pops a Haunter, ready to send the little fire chicken to his grave.

Superbird(XO)

torchic
[Firestrike] (M)
<Blaze>
Energy: 96%

Steele (XO)

haunter
[Rift] (F)
<Levitate>
Energy: 100%

Arena Notes:
The ground is severely cracked all around, and there are two large craters near where Rage was floating. The ground inside the arena is littered with fragments of glass and a few large pieces of metal, along with the remains of some rare artifacts. A shelf has fallen over alongside battling area, and all of the artifacts on it are lying on the ground, some of them intact and some of them completely destroyed. There is some blackened concrete and artifacts in a five-foot blast radius form where the bottle shattered against Rage.

Round 7 Begin!

Rift decides to introduce herself to Firestrike in the best way she decides is fitting. Her mind clouds to bursting with nasty, evil thoughts of death, dying, the underworld, and all of that creepy ghost-ish stuff. When she feels as if her mind is about to explode, she gives off the energy in a black pulse that spreads outward in a wide radius around her. Firestrike is hit dead-on, and almost knocked to the ground. Unbeknownst to Rift, Firestrike had been watching her intently as she carried out the Dark Pulse. Mimicing her every move, and unlocking powers he didn't know he had, Firestrike releases a pulse of dark energy which strikes Rift and feels like a slap to the face.

Feeling a bit insulted by Firestrike's pathetic attempt at using her attach, Rift begins to put him down a little. "Do you call that an attack?! I can't believe you tried and completely failed to use a Dark Pulse. I mean, I don't know how you could. You look so cute and fluffy. How could you know anything about battling? You know what? You're probably just some contest trash who decided to try his luck. Well, let me tell you this, and I'll be blunt. As far as battling goes, you suck." Enraged by the Rift's cruel words, Firestrike momentarily forgets his orders and runs up to her, his claws flailing and slicing through her incorporeal form. Of course, since she's a ghost, Firestrike does utterly nothing to her. And even worse, she begins to laugh at him.

Laughing at Firestrike's epic failure, Rift decides to make his day even worse. She looks at him with a deathly stare, and he makes the mistake of loooking back at her, directly in the eye. As he stares, Rift's eyes become aglow with some hellish energy. The energy streams down and surrounds Firestrike, causing him to hear a scream and feel considerable pain. However, in his rage-fueled fervor, Firestrike decides not to be beaten so easily. His claws, which were previously useless, become aglow with a purple-black energy. and he again runs towards Rift, and slashes at her with one powerful blow. Rift is knocked back a few inches and her form dissapates momentarily from the power of the attack. <I didn't know something so small could have that kind of power.>, she thinks. Firestrike, still quite mad, runs back and waits for his trainer to give him more orders that involve beating the living (or dead, rather,) crap out of Rift.

Round 7 End!

Superbird(XO)

torchic
[Firestrike] (M)
<Blaze>
Health: 82%
Energy: 83%

Steele (XO)

haunter
[Rift] (F)
<Levitate>
Health: 74%
Energy: 87%
Status: Can't believe a little ball of fluff holds so much power.

Arena Notes:
The ground is severely cracked all around, and there are two large craters near where Rage was floating. The ground inside the arena is littered with fragments of glass and a few large pieces of metal, along with the remains of some rare artifacts. A shelf has fallen over alongside battling area, and all of the artifacts on it are lying on the ground, some of them intact and some of them completely destroyed. There is some blackened concrete and artifacts in a five-foot blast radius form where the bottle shattered against Rage.

Ref's Notes:
-Night Shade's bade power is 10x#°exp. When I looked up rift's exp, it was 8. so Night Shade had a base bower of 80. It worked like a non-STAB Dark Pulse as far as damage goes.
-Shadow Claw was a critical hit.

Next Round:

-Superbird attacks.
-Steele attacks.
-I ref.​

Last edited:
You forgot to change Firestrike's health level.

All right, Firestrike! That was good work, very good work. Now...Use Shadow Claw. If Rift uses a status move like Hypnosis, then Bounce over it instead. If that tactic won't work then just forget about it. If the Haunter uses Protect, then Feint it.

Shadow Claw/Bounce/Feint x3

Fixed the little error about not subtracting damage from Firestrike. (I really need to stop doing reffings at 11:30 at night...)

Crap. Tough, chicken, eh?

Simple: use Disable until it sticks to get rid of his main move, then follow up with Thunderbolt. Let the ownageship continue!

Disable~Disable/Thunderbolt~Disable/Thunderbolt

Round 8

Superbird(XO)

torchic
[Firestrike] (M)
<Blaze>
Health: 82%
Energy: 83%

Steele (XO)

haunter
[Rift] (F)
<Levitate>
Health: 74%
Energy: 87%
Status: Can't believe a little ball of fluff holds so much power.

Arena Notes:

Round 8 Begin!

Firestrike decides to begin by running up to Rift and slashing at her with a shadow-infused talon. The attack disrupts Rift's form for a few moments. When she re-forms, Rift eplays the moment in her mind and concentrates on the attack itself. using some strange power, she completely locks the move out of Firestrike's mind for the next few rounds.

As Firestrike wonders what happened to him, Rift begins to shuffle various particles around in her form until she begins to crackle with static electricity. She then collects it in a bolt and launches it into the air, which then proceeds to crash down onto Firestrike. Despite not being a flying-type, the many volts of electricity flowing through his body is unpleasant. Firestrike springs up into the air, and then crashes down through Rift's form, which shatters and spreads like a cloud being sliced in half. As she struggles to reform, Firestrike lands and tumbles back to her side.

Rift, enraged by Firestrike's attack, begns to charge up an insane amount of electricity. She then fires the collective bolt straight at Firestrike rather than launching it in the air, the Thunderbolt traveling through Firestrike's body and surging directly into the ground. Firestrike screams in pain from the intense blast. As the attack finally ends, Firestrike begins to feel some of his joints sieze up. Firestrike counterattacks by propeling himself into the air and straight through Rift's form again. After landing, Firestrike shuffles back to his side. He feels more tired, and the constant pain from the paralysis is no help. Rift, having taken a while to reform, notices the Torchic's obvious discomfort. She can't help but smile.

Round 8 End!

Superbird(XO)

torchic
[Firestrike] (M)
<Blaze>
Health: 57%
Energy: 61%
Condition: Very stiff and in constant pain.
Status: Shadow Claw disabled for 2 more actions. Paralyzed (Severe)

Steele (XO)

haunter
[Rift] (F)
<Levitate>
Health: 49%
Energy: 72%
Condition: Feels a bit torn up. Lapping up the Torchic's discomfort like a thirsty puppy.

Ref's Notes:
-I am now splitting Status into Status(a pokemon's actual stat changes/afflictions) and Condition (How the pokemon is feeling.). This should hopefully reduce some confusion.
-Disable disabled Shadow claw for four actions.
-Since Shadow Claw was Disabled, and Feint wouldn't have worked due to it being Normal type, Firestrike chose to use Bounce twice.
-Steele wins the "1337 LUCK" award for having the second Thunderbolt roll both a critical hit (5% chance) and paralysis (10% chance)
-If not obvious in the above note, the second Thunderbolt was both a critical hit and inflicted paralysis.
-Wasn't sure how bounce would work on a ghost, it made sense to me that it would severely tear up the form of the ghost.

Next Round:
-Steele attacks.
-Superbird attacks
-I write a decent reffing after a week and a half of procrastination ref.​

Last edited:
...jesus, I just about forgot 'bout this.

Eh... well, your health is a slight factor, but we'll manage...

Go ahead and spam ye olde Dark Pulse, as it is unmatched in technical annoyment. My favorite... of course, if he's gonna Protect or Mirror Coat, just Chill. If he tries to status you, wait and see if he's fully paralyzed. If not, throw up a Protect as fast as possible. If it isn't possible to Protect in that amount of time, just Protect before you know, just to be safe. Now go bring us another 1337 LUCK metal, and maybe an EPC WN or AUG 50M3, too. All three are so beautifully shiny...

Dark Pulse/Chill/Protect x3

Last edited:
GRR. Well, this does not bode well at all. But—

Oh, wait. mmmmmHAHAHAHAHA! Okay, Firestrike, I know you may not like Rift that much, but I know you're a good enough actor to pull of Captivate. Just use it as much as possible, and hope it works.

Captivate x3

Superbird (XO)
[Firestrike] torchic (M) <Blaze>
Health: 57%
Energy: 61%
Status: Very stiff and in constant pain. Shadow Claw disabled for 2 more actions. Paralyzed (Severe)
Chills used: 0/3

Doctor Richtofen (XO)
[Rift] Haunter (F) <Levitate>
Energy: 72%
Status: Feels a bit torn up. Lapping up the Torchic's discomfort like a thirsty puppy.

Round nine

Grinning nastily, Rift looms over the weary looking Torchic, relishing her opponent's pain and discomfort. She hisses threateningly, then summons up the most vindictive thoughts she can muster and unleashes them in the form of a widespread pulse of inky darkness. Firestrike cowers down as the dark energy burns into his skin and fills his head with dread.
When the last wisps of darkness fade away, he's left feeling shivery and weak, and he winces as he struggles to get his aching muscles to respond. He eventually manages to slowly and shakily rise to his feet then turn his gaze towards the looming Haunter. He tries not to show his fear as he stares her down; instead he simply begins fluffing up his feathers and preening his ruffled coat.
Rift blinks in puzzlement and stares blankly at her foe’s odd antics, unsure of what to think. Firestrike quickly panics as he sees Rift’s lack of interest and he immediately ups his game. He stares up at her innocently with his wide eyes, uttering a few soft and sorrowful chirps as he continues showing off his fluffy coat.
After a few moments, Rift can feel her cold, ethereal heart starting to melt; he’s just so cute and… fluffy! She can’t help but just a tad bit guilty for damaging such a beautiful plumage.

As Firestrike continues preening and uttering the occasional adorable little chirp, Rift stares at him admiringly for a few moments before she suddenly remembers her orders. She frowns, waving her gnarled claws idly in the air as she tries to put off her commands for as long as possible. After a few moments however, she gives a breathless sigh and regretfully prepares to deliver another dark pulse, though her attention is still obviously focused on the little fluffball below.
It takes her much longer to summon up the vindictive thoughts this time, and when she unleashes the creeping wave of darkness, it looks rather half-hearted compared to the last one.
Firestrike grimaces as the dark energy burns into him again, but he takes heart as he notices that it doesn’t have as much kick as the last one. It’s still painful, but at least his ruse is working. He gingerly tests his achy muscles as he turns to face Rift again, and he finds it much easier to keep his eyes trained on her now that she isn’t sporting that menacing grin. He continues pouring on the charm and begins chirping pitifully as he goes back to preening his bright feathers.

By this time, Rift is struggling to resist the urge to completely abandon her orders and spend some time gushing over that utterly adorable and fluffy little Torchic. After all, he's not hurting her or anything! Maybe she could admire him for just a few minutes... No, that's a ridiculous thought, she's supposed to be in a battle!
Rift goes back and forth between her options for a while before she glumly begins to prepare another dark pulse attack. Looking even more regretful than before, she tries to summon the nasty thoughts needed for the attack, but her attention is still clearly more focused on Firestrike. The Torchic takes advantage of her hesitation and gives her a wide eyed, pleading look as he fluffs up his feathers again. Rift grimaces and closes her eyes as she sends the dark pulse spreading outwards again, but the feeble blots of shadowy energy she sends out barely ruffles Firestrike's feathers.

End of round nine

Superbird (XO)
Health: 43%
Energy: 55%
Status: Still in pain, but also feeling cautiously optimistic. Paralyzed (Severe)
Moves used this round: Captivate x3

Doctor Richtofen (XO)
Energy: 57%
Status: Completely different from how she was at the start of the round, and now fawning over Firestrike's cuteness. - 6 special attack
Moves used this round: Dark pulse x3

Arena notes

Battle notes

- I docked an extra point of damage from the second two dark pulses since they need vindictive and nasty thoughts to work (and Rift wasn't in the mood for that).
- Superbird attacks first.​

All right, Firestrike. Nice work. Now that you've got the advantage here, I want you to go ahead and use Will O' Wisp to hit the other attack stat. Keep trying that until it works, then use Shadow Claw. But if you feel to stiff for Shadow Claw, then try Flamethrower instead.

Will O' Wisp ~ Will O' Wisp/Shadow Claw/Flamethrower ~ Will O' Wisp/Shadow Claw/Flamethrower

(Sorry I'm late. Didn't notice this.)

Alright, Rift, we have to build our defensives first. Use a Safeguard to keep him from doing anything productive, then flirt right back at him. Finish with a Night Shade. Because I think it isn't effected by Captivate.

Safeguard~Attract~Night Shade

Superbird (XO)
Health: 43%
Energy: 55%
Status: Still in pain, but also feeling cautiously optimistic. Paralyzed (Severe)

Doctor Richtofen (XO)
Energy: 57%
Status: Completely different from how she was at the start of the round, and now fawning over Firestrike's cuteness. - 6 special attack

Round ten

Still looking at Firestrike admiringly, Rift tries to force herself to focus on her current commands. Unfortunately, she quickly realises that she isn’t familiar with the move “safeguard”, although she definitely has heard of it. It’s definitely a useful move, but she really isn’t sure on how exactly it’s pulled off. She frowns and wrings her hands as she tries to think of what to do, finally taking her attention off Firestrike for a second.
While Rift is distracted, Firestrike takes the opportunity to breathe out an eerie stream of blue fire, which quickly reassembles itself into a burning orb. The blue wisp darts forward, tracing an erratic and jagged path towards Rift.
The Haunter is quickly jolted out of her thoughts and lets out a ghastly scream as the orb explodes on her ethereal form, burning her with its intense heat. She frantically tries to put out the flames with her claws, but the damage is already done: a patch on her side is now torn up and raw looking with a painful burn. She grimaces and carefully tests her movement, trying to find the easiest way to move without irritating the scorched skin.

While Rift fusses over her burn wound, Firestrike suppresses a grin at his success and decides to test out his aching muscles. He gives each leg a gentle shake, testing how easily he’s able to move them, then takes a few tentative steps. It’s still pretty rough going, but maybe he can try a flam-
He’s suddenly jolted out of his thoughts as Rift taps him on his head to get his attention. The poor Torchic nearly jumps out of his skin as he sees her suddenly floating next to him, and awkwardly staggers backwards in fright. However, he’s left feeling even more shocked as the Haunter suddenly swoops down next to him and begins uttering frantic apologies for the fright she gave him. Dumbfounded, Firestrike just stares at her as she suddenly begins praising him on his amazing battling skills and his bravery in the face of horrible hardship. Also, she's still kinda jealous of his fluffy feathers.
It's an amazingly cheesy and rambling speech that she obviously made up on the fly, but Firestrike can't help but find it strangely endearing. The only thing putting him off is her ghostly creepiness.
However, even his opinion on that is quickly changed as she begins pulling funny faces and making her eyes pop out her eye sockets (maybe a little much, but still strangely endearing). He can’t help but laugh at her little show, it's definitely a nice and light-hearted little interlude at least. It also distracts him from his orders, which is definitely something the singed spook takes comfort in.

As Firestrike stares up at her admiringly, Rift floats over her unwitting foe and glares down at him. Firestrike's smile slowly fades as he sees her eyes glow a deep, eerie red, and he takes a few nervous steps backward. Whoa, what happened to her cheery demeanor?
Hissing, Rift suddenly emits a hazy stream of ghostly energy, striking the startled Torchic on the chest. However, she's left feeling very underwhelmed by the results: Firestrike simply shakes his head and looks up at her in puzzlement. She obviously didn't strike much fear into his heart either...
Her abrupt mood shift does remind Firestrike that he's supposed to be in a battle however, and he reluctantly approaches her, channeling a stream of ghostly energy into one of his claws. He gingerly tests his movement capabilities before leaping up and swiping at Rift with his specter imbued claw. She screeches in pain as Firestrike shreds into her gaseous skin, and quickly tug herself backwards.
Firestrike lands awkwardly from his leap, but manages to avoid injury. Not that he notices; he's too concerned with how badly he might have damaged poor Rift.

End of round ten

Superbird (XO)
Health: 37%
Energy: 43%
Status: Already feeling guilty. Attracted to Rift (Severe), Paralyzed (Moderate)
Moves used this round: Will-o-wisp ~ [attracted] ~ Shadow claw

Doctor Richtofen (XO)
Health: 37%
Energy: 52%
Status: "Well, that was disappointing." Uncomfortable, and quite annoyed with the cute little Torchic. Burned (3% per round), - 4 special attack
Moves used this round: Safeguard (Failed) ~ Attract ~ Night shade

Arena notes

Battle notes

- Haunter can't learn safeguard.
- I seriously hate these forum errors. Saying no more.
- I treat captivate's effects similar to attract; it wears off over time as the Pokémon takes damage from the one that used it on them.
- I don't know how much EXP points Rift has exactly, but since she'd need to have at least 3 to be evolved, I went with that. So, night shade has 30 base power.
- Doctor Richtofen attacks first.​

Last edited:
...Haunter can't learn Safeguard? Oh, well. Rift has eight experience points.

So, we pretty much lost the lead. Just go with Toxic until you land it, of course don't use it if he somehow will make it innafective, namely Protect. Don't use it again once he's poisoned. If he does Protect, simply Chill. Any other times, just spam the 'ell outta Night Shade. Unless of course he Protects.

Toxic/Chill/Night Shade~Toxic/Chill/Night Shade~Toxic/Chill/Night Shade

Back
Top Bottom