• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading? II

ultraviolet

sorry, i'm never going to stop being mad about it.
Staff member
Pronoun
she/her
Pretty self-explanatory! Old thread was way long.

I'm reading Wuthering Heights (Emily Brontë) for my Issues & Transgressions in Literature unit, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. Really not enjoying Wuthering Heights, though. :|

edit: oh, and please use spoiler tags if you're discussing a book's plot!

Reading Maximum Ride: The Final Warning. Gonna get Uglies (Scott Westerfeld) pretty soon.

Harry Potter et le Prince de Sang-Mêlé, (J.K. Rowling obviously, translated by Jean-François Menard) and Seta (Alessandro Baricco).

Oh, and Un Sac de Billes (Joseph Joffo) and The Trial (play, Steven Berkoff), but those are for school so hardly count!

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn. Rereading my favourite books has such a nice, comfortable feeling!

Just finished The Killing Place by Tess Gerritsen. Rizzoli and Isles are far, far more heterosexual in the books than they are in their TV show o.o

And I spent about four hours this evening getting to page 9 of Harry Potter Et Le Prisonnier D'Azkaban *high-five with Castform* because I wanted to refresh my French a little before I go there (I use the word 'refresh' very lightly).

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn. Rereading my favourite books has such a nice, comfortable feeling!
I think our definitions of "nice" and "comfortable" may differ somewhat. :P
I did enjoy Across the Nightingale Floor (though I still haven't finished the trilogy) but I found it terribly sad.

Since the last thread I have spectacularly failed to finish any of my books, but I finished Kenan Malik's Strange Fruit. I'm not sure what to think, really.

I also read Will Eisner's The Plot. It's nothing ground-breaking - there's already plenty of printed-word denunciations of the Protocols of Zion, and The Plot isn't even terribly well-written - but I guess I can't knock any attempts to smother the irritatingly resiliant ghost of anti-Semitism.

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, for about the millionth time. I have no idea why I love this book so much, and I can completely understand all the criticism it receives but ahhh

And I'm probably gonna get started on Huckleberry Finn soonish since I have to read that for an English literature course I'm doing.

Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain. Super interesting. Go read the first chapter & 1/2 on Google. Then go buy it.

I just finished Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe. I'm also halfway through Esther Waters, George Moore. I really need to like, finish that.

Oh also A Woman of No Importance, Oscar Wilde, although I have to keep going back and re-reading pages because I'm awful at reading plays.

Read the first volume of Hikaru No Go because they didn't have the GTO volume I was on. Pleasantly surprised.

Trying to read Lolita BUT EVERY SINGLE COPY AT MY LIBRARY IS CHECKED OUT WHYYYY

Go read the first chapter & 1/2 on Google. Then go buy it.

Yay, I'm not the only one who does that!

Last edited:
I finished Artemis Fowl, the Atlantis Complex

Its about a criminal mastermind who gets Atlantis Complex, a disease that only faries get when they are ridden with guilt. Artemis, being the only human associated with faries, hs gotten the Atlantis complex.

Now he has something like OCD, where he is obssessed with the number five. Oh, did i mention he has an alter ego? His alter ego is Orion, who is the romantic and childish side of artemis. (The Orion personality being a very small part of artemis)

Meanwhile, Turnball Root, brother of Julius Root, Holly Short's deceased commander, is up to an evil plot where he wants to make his wife eternally young, but will demolish anyone in his path. This happens at the exact same time Artemis gets the Atlantis Complex.

I loved the book! It's got like 350 pages! (one of the books in the series, the Opal Deception, has like 500 pages)

The series has 7 books in all. (the ones in italics i have read them)

Artemis Fowl
Artemis Fowl, The Arctic Incident
Artemis Fowl, The Eternity Code
Artemis Fowl, The Opal Deception
Artemis Fowl, The Lost Colony
Artemis Fowl, The Time Paradox
Artemis Fowl, The Atlantis Complex

I love the books! X3

EDIT: Just realized i had to put the book's plot in spoiler. =(

Last edited:
I've read all of them except Atlantis Complex. Let's exchange memories!

Ok! X3

In "The Opal Deception", wasn't it sad that Julius exploded and that everyone blamed holly? How terrible was that! And then Holly has to follow Julius' last command.

'Protect Artemis Fowl and Butler'

I have waaay too many to list, but you should all read The Tomorrow Code by Brian Falkner. It is one of the best books I have ever read, which is saying something.

Back
Top Bottom