• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What the HELL is Nintendo Doing?

glitchedgamer

GET EQUIPPED WITH
So Nintendo just revealed this thing.

3dsllsmall.jpg

That is the 3DS XL (3DS LL in Japan). Basically, it is a redesign of the 3DS with a larger screen. Big deal, right? Well, to me it is.

Just last week, Miyamoto said that he believed that no 3DS redesign was planned and that instead Nintendo was working on their next handheld. Now, none of what he said was declared as fact, but when Shigeru Goddamn Miyamoto says something about Nintendo, you tend to believe it. Of course, he may have simply not have been aware of the XL, which was likely the case. In fact, the term "redesign" doesn't seem to fit. It's just a larger screen after all, plus a smoother all around shape, so maybe it did not fit Miyamoto's definition of the term.

What pisses me off is that there is no second Circle Pad on the right side of the system. This was the ONE reason people wanted a redesign in the first place. Personally, I am fine with just the one Circle Pad, but I am the minority. Why Nintendo completely ignored this issue is beyond me. Oh wait, it's to sell more Circle Pad Pros.

I also hate that they are pulling the same shit that they did with the DS. We do not need four versions of the same handheld. If you must update the console, add significant features like the DSi did. Stop milking the consumer with continuous "upgrades."

Nintendo claims to have learned from previous mistakes, but here I see them falling into the same old patterns. The Wii U suffers from the same fate. New Super Mario Bros. U is supposed to be the Mario game to launch your powerhouse console? Nintendo, I love you, but what the fuck are you doing???

I think New Super Mario Bros. U will be an alright launch title, but I agree with the rest. Really, except for that game and the new Scribblenauts, the Wii U launch line-up looks so underwhelming. Wii Fit U? Really? And it doesn't help that most of the games are third-party titles. This is the pathetic 3DS launch all over again! As a Nintendo fan, I'm honestly cringing at the thought of the company's future. I seriously hope that this isn't the beginning of Capcom 2.0 on our hands. Oh well, at least Pikmin 3 and Smash Bros U will eventually come.

This is the first I've heard of Wii U. Also, I dn't get the point of XLs. They're just the same thing only you can't fit it in your pocket.

This is the first I've heard of Wii U. Also, I dn't get the point of XLs. They're just the same thing only you can't fit it in your pocket.
Except the DSi XL fit in my pocket and it was much easier to see everything. This is good news to me.

glitchedgamer said:
What pisses me off is that there is no second Circle Pad on the right side of the system. This was the ONE reason people wanted a redesign in the first place. Personally, I am fine with just the one Circle Pad, but I am the minority. Why Nintendo completely ignored this issue is beyond me. Oh wait, it's to sell more Circle Pad Pros.

Ooor so that games don't become artificially not-backwards-compatible with the 3DS.

Last edited:
The XL was very helpful for lots of people, I think!

I'm just upset because I want Animal Crossing 3DS now :o( but I don't want to have to drop a bomb on a 3DS either lmao oh no.

The XL was very helpful for lots of people, I think!

Like my mom! She got a DS Lite a while back, but it was reaaaaally hard for her to see. So she got the XL and now it's literally all she uses.

and in all honesty, if it bugs you that much, you don't have to get it, it's mostly just intended as a help for gamers who can't see that great.

(also for me the term "redesign" implies they're changing a bunch of things, not just the screen size and battery life. That's just me though)

This generation the wii was the only console I got because I wanted to play the nintendo exclusive titles. Any title that would be on the xbox and ps3 that's worth getting would generally be on the PC as well. So I'm not all that excited about the Wii U because I'll be getting Assassin's Creed 3 and the like on the PC.

And I've not yet seen any nintendo titles that I would like to get. I've seen this posted many times on the internet but if they made Pokémon Snap on the Wii U with the gamepad being like the camera or a Pokédex of sorts, it would make the Wii U much more appealing!

Nintendo claims to have learned from previous mistakes, but here I see them falling into the same old patterns. The Wii U suffers from the same fate. New Super Mario Bros. U is supposed to be the Mario game to launch your powerhouse console? Nintendo, I love you, but what the fuck are you doing???
I agree with this. A lot of people probably liked New Super Mario Bros Wii, so they're just making new ones. But I want more 3D Mario games on a TV console. If I wanted to play a Mario sidescroller I'd play New Super Mario Bros on the DS. I understand that NSMB Wii wouldn't work on the DS especially given that it's also multiplayer, but really. The thing that disappointed me most about their E3 this year was the fact that they talked about two new New Super Mario Bros games, but no Mario game I would actually be interested in.

Back
Top Bottom