• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Well, even with drawing the line between ASB and the games, it wouldn't make sense for an attack that (at least in my head) is something of a rousing call to action between allies to take the opponent into effect

EDIT: Okay, I can't find it anywhere, so I have my own question: did we do away with the 3-battle limit per user? Because I have hella arena ideas coming to me in the middle of like, class, and I'd hate to see them go to waste by means of me getting bored with the ideas.

Last edited:
Does Round take the double damage increase if both Pokemon using it are opponents?

Yes, and in fact, I think it'd be more of a point of doubt whether Round can get boosted by Pokémon on opposing sides of the field using it. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen in the games, for one thing.

EDIT: Unless that's exactly what you meant by "both Pokémon using it are opponents", which I took to mean they were both on the opposing side rather than both on opposing sides. Whoops.

it is increased. ingame, the first user does base damage, all others' actions are moved up to immediately after and they have double power, even if on the other side.

in asb I'd imagine they'd just all occur simultaneously (or, well, it's a round, they join in one after another?) and all of them have double damage, regardless of what sides they're on.

Is Metronome restricted, as it is in the games, to be unable to call certain attacks (such as Counter, V-Create, and Wide Guard)? There is no provision for that under the current entry in the ASB handbook - it just says "any attack" - so I operated under the assumption that it would be able to (especially since, in the relevant case, the attack was situationally appropriate), but was that correct?

And speaking of ASB handbook entries, there are none for gen 6 Event-only moves (Steam Eruption, Thousand Arrows, Hyperspace Hole, etc). I assert that those need to be put in, as I had to improvise an effect for Thousand Waves today (I based its secondary effect on a slightly-powered-up Block) and I'm worried it was a little too harsh.

EDIT: if the former ruling is that it obeys ingame limitations, then never mind the latter question. In that case, I made the wrong call by actually using the move.

Last edited:
on that note, likewise sleep talk. I avoided a sleep talked uproar yesterday for this reason even though that would have been adorbs ;;

Well, even with drawing the line between ASB and the games, it wouldn't make sense for an attack that (at least in my head) is something of a rousing call to action between allies to take the opponent into effect

EDIT: Okay, I can't find it anywhere, so I have my own question: did we do away with the 3-battle limit per user? Because I have hella arena ideas coming to me in the middle of like, class, and I'd hate to see them go to waste by means of me getting bored with the ideas.

I do believe that in the games, only allies using it would double the damage. If an opponent uses it and then your Pokemon uses it, it will have a bp of 6%. ... at least I think that's what the question was.

Iii don't remember where the 3 (4 for active refs) battle limit was even stated, to be honest. But that rule is still in effect.

Is Metronome restricted, as it is in the games, to be unable to call certain attacks (such as Counter, V-Create, and Wide Guard)? There is no provision for that under the current entry in the ASB handbook - it just says "any attack" - so I operated under the assumption that it would be able to (especially since, in the relevant case, the attack was situationally appropriate), but was that correct?

And speaking of ASB handbook entries, there are none for gen 6 Event-only moves (Steam Eruption, Thousand Arrows, Hyperspace Hole, etc). I assert that those need to be put in, as I had to improvise an effect for Thousand Waves today (I based its secondary effect on a slightly-powered-up Block) and I'm worried it was a little too harsh.

EDIT: if the former ruling is that it obeys ingame limitations, then never mind the latter question. In that case, I made the wrong call by actually using the move.

Yes, it's unable to call restricted moves as dictated by the games. The attackdex on the hack is... not 100% correct, really; when in doubt about details of official effects, best to look at another site, I think. However, if everyone in the battle agrees to "any attack", go right ahead.

I'll poke Zhorken to put them in. Since they can't be used by normal means and the Metronome battle isn't exactly serious as we'd normally call it, you should be fine.

on that note, likewise sleep talk. I avoided a sleep talked uproar yesterday for this reason even though that would have been adorbs ;;

Sleep Talk is unable to call restricted moves as dictated by the games.

Yes, it's unable to call restricted moves as dictated by the games. The attackdex on the hack is... not 100% correct, really; when in doubt about details of official effects, best to look at another site, I think. However, if everyone in the battle agrees to "any attack", go right ahead.

I'll poke Zhorken to put them in. Since they can't be used by normal means and the Metronome battle isn't exactly serious as we'd normally call it, you should be fine.
It's not a tremendous deal for Metronome Battles, but most moves that can't be called by Metronome do kind of good reasons not to be.

I'm not sure that's necessary, really; Metronome Battles can definitely live without moves that don't even, like, exist in the games proper yet, officially.

For the record, Negrek has a metronome randomizer that automatically excludes disallowed moves up to Gen V, which I guess is as up to date as it's going to be until we have confirmation of Gen VI disallowed moves. You could talk to her and see if she has plans to update it for any new decisions this ASB makes; alternatively, I have a copy of it, and if she's okay with it I could make it available with whatever additional moves it's decided shouldn't be allowed.

I think the general reason most new legendary sigs/other event moves are excluded is just so thousand waves or v-create or whatever don't pop up during someone's normal in-game playthrough when they haven't been officially released and therefore "don't exist yet". It's not for the same reasons as moves like counter or assist (i.e., awkward game mechanics), so really, the lead refs could allow event-only moves for general metronome use if they wanted to. Off the top of my head I can't think of any legendary/event moves where there's a good game-balance/"how do i ref this if another move calls it at a weird time" reason to exclude them, but your call.

Last edited:
this site works. It gave me Electric Terrain and Topsy-Turvy, and you can set it to "all moves" or "true metronome"

EDIT: Okay it's literally what Kratos just linked. So at least we know it works!

I figured people might not want spoilers in the ASB Database but if no-one cares then I'll do that. Should I also put the remaining spoiler Pokémon in? (It would be easier to do this all at once rather than one thing at a time as things get revealed.)

I figured people might not want spoilers in the ASB Database but if no-one cares then I'll do that. Should I also put the remaining spoiler Pokémon in? (It would be easier to do this all at once rather than one thing at a time as things get revealed.)

Is anyone here really avoiding the unreleased event Pokemon now?

Personally I've been avoiding all kinds of spoilers as much as possible, but it's not important enough that I'd want to inconvenience anybody. (It was only yesterday that I discovered the existence of Mega Audino!)

Does being hit during Rage cause the base power to increase (flavor text) or Attack to rise (game mechanics and summary text)?

Is phasing still A Thing? There's no mention of it in the new rules, so do the old rules still apply here or does it not exist anymore..?

Is phasing still A Thing? There's no mention of it in the new rules, so do the old rules still apply here or does it not exist anymore..?
We were just realizing we forgot to announce that, yes, phasing has been nixed.

should metal burst really be 2x returned damage (ingame it is 1.5x) or is that a relic of ... probably negrek writing the description before the details were confirmed?

Also, since Metal Burst is supposed to fail if the user's faster, telling your Pokémon to just wait and move second should probably be explicitly disallowed for that move.

(EDIT: In case anyone's wondering why I don't just change it myself, we decided a few days ago that MF and blazheirio are the ones in charge of game mechanics questions.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom