• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Challenge for anyone that won't curbstomp me because I'm new (preferably a newer player):

Format: 3 v 3 single
Style: Switch
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: someone who knows what they're doing can fill this out
Arena Description/Additional Rules: Other player/ref can fill this out

People usually ban OHKOs, and possibly Perish Song and Super Fang! Some people like to ban Attract because it can be really annoying. It's also common to ban or limit direct healing (Recover, Rest, etc.) and Chills so that battles don't take absolutely forever. I'd recommend doing that for yours for sure because the damage cap is pretty low (and/or you might want to raise your damage cap, 40% is a good number).

People usually ban OHKOs, and possibly Perish Song and Super Fang! Some people like to ban Attract because it can be really annoying. It's also common to ban or limit direct healing (Recover, Rest, etc.) and Chills so that battles don't take absolutely forever. I'd recommend doing that for yours for sure because the damage cap is pretty low (and/or you might want to raise your damage cap, 40% is a good number).

Wait is the damage cap per turn or per move

Challenge for anyone that won't curbstomp me because I'm new (preferably a newer player):

gah i'm currently capped for battles, otherwise i'd take this! (i might have been here for a while but i've literally never won a battle lmao) i hope you find a good opponent tho!!

i'm looking to ref a battle and try to get back into the swing of things~ so here's an open challenge for two battlers, with me as ref!

Format: 3 vs 3
Style: set
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: none (can be added, but since each pokemon is out for such a short time, and the winner is calculated by total score, it seems redundant)
Banned/Restricted Moves: ohkos, attract, super fang, anything the battlers want added
Arena Description: The battle takes place right outside the Battle Frontier's Battle Arena facility, out in the open air. The immediate area is covered in nicely manicured grass and a few flowers. The Arena building itself is surrounded on three sides by water and a small pond sits on the other side of the battlers, so water moves can be used and Water-types that need to swim can do so. The battlers cannot move away from the immediate area, so heading towards the plaza or another facility is forbidden. Maps of the general area can be found on this page.

Since this match is happening so close to the Arena, it seems such a shame not to follow Greta's rules... or, at least, a variation on them. As such, both battlers will send out their Pokémon and attack for three battle rounds (a total of 9 attacks per Pokémon) before the ref calls a halt. After the three rounds both Pokémon are recalled and unable to continue in the current battle, and their current health, energy and status are noted for later. Both trainers will then send out their next Pokémon and continue for the next three rounds. At the end (which should be nine total rounds), the health and energy of all Pokémon is totaled and whichever trainer has the highest score wins.

Additional Rules: -If a Pokémon has fainted, either due to HP loss OR energy loss, the battle stops right where it is (even if it has not yet been three rounds) and both Pokémon are recalled. Fainted Pokémon DO still count toward the final score, but as either their health or their energy is at 0% they won't add anywhere near as much.

-If, at the end of the three rounds, a battler is afflicted with a status condition, that condition detracts from their final score as follows:

Paralyzed, Burned, Confused: -10 points
Poisoned, Attracted: -15 points
Asleep, Frozen: -20 points
If the Pokémon has more than one status condition, only the first one they were afflicted with detracts full points; all others afterwards only detract five, no matter what they are.

As an example of how scoring works: Trainer A sends out a Treecko and Trainer B sends out a Turtwig. Treecko and Turtwig battle for three rounds; Treecko finishes with 64% HP and 72% energy and Turtwig finishes with 71% HP and 59% energy. Treecko has also been poisoned by Toxic. Both Pokémon stop battling and so their scores would look like this: Turtwig (71H + 59E = 130), Treecko (64H + 72E – 15 [poison] = 121). Therefore, Trainer B (Turtwig's trainer) would have the lead with 130 points over 121.

As far as TCoDASB battles are concerned, experience is determined like this: all Pokémon get the usual 1 experience point for being sent into battle, and if one Pokémon actually knocks another out it will get the 1 experience point as normal. If neither Pokémon faints at the end of three rounds, the one with the lower score (Treecko in the above example) is considered knocked out for the purposes of experience, so Turtwig would get the extra 1 exp.

Last edited:

Damage Cap: 40%

Hey uhhhhhhhhhhhh

I happen to also be completely new and am also in preference of not being first battle curbstomped

:grin:

Hey uhhhhhhhhhhhh

I happen to also be completely new and am also in preference of not being first battle curbstomped

:grin:
Sounds great!

If we get a ref they can fill out restricted moves/arena stuff

I will ref Chemist vs Panini! Y'all can use the ref test arena which is basically a generic arena with no move restrictions:

ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

For banned/restricted moves, you can go the typical route of banning OHKOs, Perish Song, Super Fang, Endeavour, and direct healing. Lemme know if you're cool with this and I'll set up the thread!

(I apologize in advance for my quality of writing, I used to be decent but then I stopped reffing for like 4 years)

I will ref Chemist vs Panini! Y'all can use the ref test arena which is basically a generic arena with no move restrictions:

For banned/restricted moves, you can go the typical route of banning OHKOs, Perish Song, Super Fang, Endeavour, and direct healing. Lemme know if you're cool with this and I'll set up the thread!

(I apologize in advance for my quality of writing, I used to be decent but then I stopped reffing for like 4 years)

Sweet! Good on my end o/

shy ♡;671159 said:
i'm looking to ref a battle and try to get back into the swing of things~ so here's an open challenge for two battlers, with me as ref!

Format: 3 vs 3
Damage Cap: none (can be added, but since each pokemon is out for such a short time, and the winner is calculated by total score, it seems redundant)
Banned/Restricted Moves: ohkos, attract, anything the battlers want added
Arena Description: The battle takes place right outside the Battle Frontier's Battle Arena facility, out in the open air. The immediate area is covered in nicely manicured grass and a few flowers. The Arena building itself is surrounded on three sides by water and a small pond sits on the other side of the battlers, so water moves can be used and Water-types that need to swim can do so. The battlers cannot move away from the immediate area, so heading towards the plaza or another facility is forbidden. Maps of the general area can be found on this page.

Since this match is happening so close to the Arena, it seems such a shame not to follow Greta's rules... or, at least, a variation on them. As such, both battlers will send out their Pokémon and attack for three battle rounds (a total of 9 attacks per Pokémon) before the ref calls a halt. After the three rounds both Pokémon are recalled and unable to continue in the current battle, and their current health, energy and status are noted for later. Both trainers will then send out their next Pokémon and continue for the next three rounds. At the end (which should be nine total rounds), the health and energy of all Pokémon is totaled and whichever trainer has the highest score wins.

Additional Rules: -If a Pokémon has fainted, either due to HP loss OR energy loss, the battle stops right where it is (even if it has not yet been three rounds) and both Pokémon are recalled. Fainted Pokémon DO still count toward the final score, but as either their health or their energy is at 0% they won't add anywhere near as much.

-If, at the end of the three rounds, a battler is afflicted with a status condition, that condition detracts from their final score as follows:

Paralyzed, Burned, Confused: -10 points
Poisoned, Attracted: -15 points
Asleep, Frozen: -20 points
If the Pokémon has more than one status condition, only the first one they were afflicted with detracts full points; all others afterwards only detract five, no matter what they are.

As an example of how scoring works: Trainer A sends out a Treecko and Trainer B sends out a Turtwig. Treecko and Turtwig battle for three rounds; Treecko finishes with 64% HP and 72% energy and Turtwig finishes with 71% HP and 59% energy. Treecko has also been poisoned by Toxic. Both Pokémon stop battling and so their scores would look like this: Turtwig (71H + 59E = 130), Treecko (64H + 72E – 15 [poison] = 121). Therefore, Trainer B (Turtwig's trainer) would have the lead with 130 points over 121.

As far as TCoDASB battles are concerned, experience is determined like this: all Pokémon get the usual 1 experience point for being sent into battle, and if one Pokémon actually knocks another out it will get the 1 experience point as normal. If neither Pokémon faints at the end of three rounds, the one with the lower score (Treecko in the above example) is considered knocked out for the purposes of experience, so Turtwig would get the extra 1 exp.

I'm not entirely sure what my active battle queue looks like right now, but since hardly anything has happened here for the past six months, I think I'm safe to take this. May I?

(and if so, can we add Super Fang to the list of banned moves?)

I'm not entirely sure what my active battle queue looks like right now, but since hardly anything has happened here for the past six months, I think I'm safe to take this. May I?

u got it! added super fang. now u just need an opponent <w<

shy ♡;671159 said:

i'll take it!

3vs3 Single
Damage Cap: 10% or the normal/most common ?
Banned Moves: OhKO moves
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Hello. I'm new here and looking to battle.

Format: 1v1 Single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 Week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO Moves, No "Chills," No Self-Heals
Arena Description: A small, hard-packed dirt field with nothing standing in the way of the two Pokemon duking it out.
Additional Rules: Unevolved Pokemon only.

Hello. I'm new here and looking to battle.

Format: 1v1 Single
DQ: 1 Week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO Moves, No "Chills," No Self-Heals
Arena Description: A small, hard-packed dirt field with nothing standing in the way of the two Pokemon duking it out.
Additional Rules: Unevolved Pokemon only.

i accept

i put a couple of things in the emergency ref forum so i can clear my queue, so when i have a spot open:

Open Challenge:
Format: 2v2 Singles
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Perish Song, Moves that knock the user out
Arena: Ancient Arena
A tall ruined wall surrounds the field, collapsed in multiple places. There is a small pond to the side which can supply any water needed.

Additional Rules: base pokemon that can evolve only

I accept the challenge! (If it's still available.)

Last edited:
Alright, i really want to do ASB so i can't wait to submit a challenge.

Format: 2v2 Singles
Style: Switch. We can switch out our Pokémon in a way similar to playing against NPCs in pokémon video games.
DQ: Like a week or so. A little more is fine but TRY AND KEEP IT TO A WEEK.
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves
Arena Description: A tournament at a small dojo, there were about 8 trainers and me and whoever else moved up the ranks, ready for a battle. This is a tournament for trainers just setting off on their journey, so evolved pokémon aren't welcome here.
Additional Rules:
Again, no evolved pokémon.

Back
Top Bottom